Large Donation Coming in?

Truth

Lots of possible solid points from a lot of people... Regarding Najarian, it would seem he certainly has the capacity to excel at the job. Having been an athletic director of a high school, it is more about personal character than anything...how you support people and treat people. Anybody can do the administrative part of the position...but lot's don't even get that right. And yes, I'm simplifying.

What I think separates successful people from others is their passion for the task. Their obsession to make something the best. If Najarian has that and if in fact he has the capacity, which seems likely, I think he'd do better than someone qualified who is just collecting a paycheck and a title.

From a far... Maturi likely had the passion and obsession but not the capacity. I never felt passion and obsession to make Minnesota great from Teague. My impression as stated years ago he was a lazy used car salesman.

No idea who the best candidate is...but I wouldn't dismiss Najarian because he hasn't been an A.D.

What I think separates successful people from others is their passion for the task. Their obsession to make something the best. If Najarian has that and if in fact he has the capacity, which seems likely, I think he'd do better than someone qualified who is just collecting a paycheck and a title.

If Pete is all in, then I'm all in.

So, where is the talk about all the donations coming in?

Just because he likes the U and wants it to do well, doesn't mean he won't still fail and inadvertently tarnish his reputation and that of the athletic department just like Teague. Wanting to do a good job isn't all there is to it. You are correct that money wouldn't be his motivation. However, how well do you think he will put up with and enjoy not being able to quickly call the shots and pull the strings. As the owner of his own business he could make whatever changes he wanted without needing to get multiple people's approval. Here he would need the President, Regents, and in some instances booster support to do this. Then add in the fact he doesn't need the money, how quickly until he says screw it and heads to the beach with his money because the bureaucratic red tape isn't worth it. Most people that have started or ran successful businesses don't like going back to being an employee again. Just like most head coaches don't like going back to be coordinators or position coaches once they have been in charge and called the shots.

Nobody who has ever run something is willing to be an employee, even if they don't know it at the outset. (Unless they are doing it for yucks, it's a retirement gig or they get free flights.)

Hey mods....how about an all things new AD or all things Najarian thread or at least change the title of this one. If you had not been reading the board for a few days and saw this thread title with 7 pages of replies, you'd think we got a $50 million donation.

Peter would be a great hire as AD. He is smart, pragmatic, aggressive and knows Minnesota, the Business community as well as D1 football.

For all the silly, whining know it all people that think they know what it takes to be an AD and dismiss Najarian, I suggest a little history lesson about a guy that saved a miserable, dying Big Ten program over the river:

Pat Richter:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pat_Richter

Note, he was a personal director which has much more in common with an AD than a stock broker.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

since we've gone down this road:

three possible approaches to hiring a new AD:

1. give Beth Goetz the job.

2. High some young "up-and-comer" type - maybe an AD from a smaller school, or assistant AD at a D1 school.

3. Hire an established AD from another D1 program.

A younger guy might be a little hungrier to prove him(her) self, but would also be moving up to a new level of responsibility at a D1 school.

The established AD would probably be the safer choice - but would an established AD be interested in the U, given all of the issues in recent years. Plus, after the Teague debacle, any candidate is going to face a higher level of scrutiny, so they will need to be "squeaky-clean."

I don't have a name to suggest. just laying out some parameters. (I'm at work and bored silly.........)

since we've gone down this road:

three possible approaches to hiring a new AD:

1. give Beth Goetz the job.

2. High some young "up-and-comer" type - maybe an AD from a smaller school, or assistant AD at a D1 school.

3. Hire an established AD from another D1 program.

A younger guy might be a little hungrier to prove him(her) self, but would also be moving up to a new level of responsibility at a D1 school.

The established AD would probably be the safer choice - but would an established AD be interested in the U, given all of the issues in recent years. Plus, after the Teague debacle, any candidate is going to face a higher level of scrutiny, so they will need to be "squeaky-clean."

I don't have a name to suggest. just laying out some parameters. (I'm at work and bored silly.........)

In summary, nobody knows squat about the donor news.

Is T Denny finally coming around?

quite frankly this is the topic that i keep coming back to the hole to check for, and yet 8 pages of nothing. sigh

I heard a close personal friend of Sid's who is a former Division III quarterback that ran a wind aided 4.38 40 who is a also the current CEO of the women's roller derby association is the leading candidate for AD. So what about this large donation this thread was supposed to be about?

We've been tantalized by talk of imminent donations for well-nigh a year now. I'm pretty sure slime ball and donation impresario Teague did an interview this time last year and said some larger donations were close and he had a list of plan B donors in the wings. I suspect he was going to throw in some floor mats and pin striping to close the deals. The drunken texts to donor wives didn't work either. Wierd.

We need to hire someone with foresight and maturity for the job. Is that Najarian? I have no idea. I'd like to know how he foresaw and counseled his clients before and during the financial crisis. The snakes (and idiots, but mostly snakes like the Fast Money and Cocaine Kudlow crowd) were in full effect from 2004 on. That would tell me a lot about his character and whether I'd want him anywhere near my organization.

I heard a close personal friend of Sid's who is a former Division III quarterback that ran a wind aided 4.38 40 who is a also the current CEO of the women's roller derby association is the leading candidate for AD.

Still more qualified than Najarian.

All of the reasons that people want Najarian hired are irrelevant to actually being successful in the job. Minnesota guy? Irrelevant. Wealthy? Irrelevant. Played college football? Irrelevant. He has zero experience working in athletics, zero experience fundraising (to my knowledge), zero experience hiring coaches, etc., etc., etc. The fact that he's even being discussed among otherwise functional adults as a "legitimate" candidate is a complete farce. Oh, and how about that large donation coming?

That's the problem. You're 'zero experience' comment could be applied equally to either Paul Giel or Pat Richter (hired Alvarez).

It's a crapshoot. I'd personally support it if I had confidence that he demonstrates the ethical behavior that I believe coach Kill demonstrated.

Just in case anyone looking for donation news - this may be total BS, but someone was tweeting back and forth with Reusse, claiming that T. Denny Sanford was going to be making a $40-million donation to the U "This Week." Shooter was also hinting in his column about a major donation pending.

I am a booster. I agree with myself. You're wrong. Sorry.

I think he was referring generally to boosters that give large sums of money to the University and as a result enjoy greater influence over the program. This is generally what is meant by Sid, Shooter; and Reusse when they refer to what the 'boosters' want.

I'd personally support it if I had confidence that he demonstrates the ethical behavior that I believe coach Kill demonstrated.

By all accounts, Joel Maturi was a very ethical person. Do you want him back in charge of the athletic department?

Just in case anyone looking for donation news - this may be total BS, but someone was tweeting back and forth with Reusse, claiming that T. Denny Sanford was going to be making a $40-million donation to the U "This Week." Shooter was also hinting in his column about a major donation pending.

So you're saying the game in Sioux Falls may have been worth it?:cool02:

If the people who hired Teague are in charge of hiring our next AD, I am concerned.

Pretty sure the firm they hired last time won't be hired again, news reports with comments from folks at the university indicated they felt like the folks they hired failed pretty miserably.

I think half the delay is figuring out HOW to get it right as much as who.

Top Bottom