Large Donation Coming in?

"Boosters play a role in providing student-athletes with a positive experience through their enthusiastic efforts. They can support teams and athletics departments through donations of time and financial resources which help student-athletes succeed on and off the playing field.

Boosters, referred to by the NCAA as 'representatives of the institution’s athletic interests,' include anyone who has:

• Provided a donation in order to obtain season tickets for any sport at the university.
  • Participated in or has been a member of an organization promoting the university’s athletics programs.
  • Made financial contributions to the athletic department or to a university booster organization.
  • Arranged for or provided employment for enrolled student-athletes.
  • Assisted or has been requested by university staff to assist in the recruitment of prospective student-athletes.
  • Assisted in providing benefits to enrolled student athletes or their families.
  • Been involved otherwise in promoting university athletics.

Once an individual is identified as a 'representative of the institution’s athletics interests,' the person retains that identity forever."

http://www.ncaa.org/enforcement/role-boosters

Just because you are a booster doesn't make you all knowing or a better fan. This would technicaly make me a booster and I'm sure many people on here. If you own a gopher shirt or hat you have "Been involved in otherwise promoting university athletics." Therefore a booster.

Just because you are a booster doesn't make you all knowing or a better fan. This would technicaly make me a booster and I'm sure many people on here. If you own a gopher shirt or hat you have "Been involved in otherwise promoting university athletics." Therefore a booster.

I wasn't the one making that argument.

You seem like the type who has a piece of paper from GB taped to their wall and tells people he is an NFL owner.

Nope. Not a GB fan. Also, I actually am a booster, unlike GB "owners" who claim that they are. I also didn't claim any special distinction from the fact that I am a booster.

That's because they trust that people in high positions have more knowledge and better vetting abilities to make sound hires.

Teague resigned because of conduct, which he deserved, but he was not fired for performance. People can say what they want but most of the fundraising for the Athletic Village was done on his watch. If he could keep his mega tongue in his mouth he would still be here. Also I believe Kaler said he wasn't using that search firm, or any firm this time around

Well to be fair Golden_Sloth, he founded OptionsMonster, not a consulting firm. If you know anything about options and trading them and of course running a options brokerage it is extremely complicated and risky, not to mention highly regulated by the Securities Exchange Commission. There are many instances where companies bring in outside executives with very little or no experience in the specific industry but have always found a way to be successful. Pete is extremely intelligent and well spoken, his father was a well known transplant surgeon and professor at the U. The college needs a face of their own to run the program, Teague was dumpster fire hire with no real ties to the program and it created a mess. My personal opinion is that the U needs to bring somebody in with some in-state pride, tax payers are really tired of funding these highly-regarded positions with no real return back to the community in some form. By virtue of his own name and linkage to the U via family name, Pete would be morally obligated to himself to ensure he doesn't screw that up. I like the fact he has some "skin" in the game.

Teague's failures here had nothing to do with that fact that he wasn't from here or a Minnesota man. As far as the morally obligated to not screw it up argument, Don't think you will find many people that morally take a job with the intention of screwing it up. They screw up because they make bad decisions and mistakes or do not have the qualifications and skill set to succeed in that role.

Tax payers don't fund the AD position at the U.

Disagree, appropriations by the state of Minnesota was $1.176B for years '14 and '15 for the U. In addition, the state also approved another $20.4MM in state funding over that same time period for the U of M stadium. Doesn't matter how you allocate the dollars or if the athletics program is self funding through ticket sales, the U takes money from the state to run the University. Doesn't matter how you slice or dice the pie, one way or another you are paying for the AD in the end.

All of the reasons that people want Najarian hired are irrelevant to actually being successful in the job. Minnesota guy? Irrelevant. Wealthy? Irrelevant. Played college football? Irrelevant. He has zero experience working in athletics, zero experience fundraising (to my knowledge), zero experience hiring coaches, etc., etc., etc. The fact that he's even being discussed among otherwise functional adults as a "legitimate" candidate is a complete farce.

Oh, and how about that large donation coming?

+1

Disagree, appropriations by the state of Minnesota was $1.176B for years '14 and '15 for the U. In addition, the state also approved another $20.4MM in state funding over that same time period for the U of M stadium. Doesn't matter how you allocate the dollars or if the athletics program is self funding through ticket sales, the U takes money from the state to run the University. Doesn't matter how you slice or dice the pie, one way or another you are paying for the AD in the end.

Swing and a miss. Thanks for playing. Pete also had 26 tackles against Purdue in 1984. Maybe he can be Prez and AD?

Swing and a miss. Thanks for playing. Pete also had 26 tackles against Purdue in 1984. Maybe he can be Prez and AD?

That's so many tackles!! I hope he puts it in his resume when he applies. It will jump of the page! Najarin for Prez and AD! :rolleyes:

I also didn't say anything about his tackles or Purdue or Prez. I said he would make a good AD because of his pedigree.

This is a real-life high-level job, not a dog show.

Ahh...he started an extremely successful options trading firm and brokerage on Wall Street and sold it to Citadel, one of the most sophisticated hedge funds in the United States. I think he brings a little bit more to the program than a "dog show". Like I said he as skin in the game and that keeps him accountable.

This is a real-life high-level job, not a dog show.

OK, that was funny.

I'm trying to figure out how to work a tongue comment in but it has not hit me yet.

Ahh...he started an extremely successful options trading firm and brokerage on Wall Street and sold it to Citadel, one of the most sophisticated hedge funds in the United States. I think he brings a little bit more to the program than a "dog show". Like I said he as skin in the game and that keeps him accountable.

Didn't Teague and every other AD have skin in the game? After all their income source and livelihood are tied to being successful in their jobs.

Didn't Teague and every other AD have skin in the game? After all their income source and livelihood are tied to being successful in their jobs.

No, Teague's dad wasn't a famous surgeon from the U of M, therefore he had no skin in the game and that's why he failed. Haven't you been paying attention?

Clearly income wasn't a factor for Teague and his shenanigans, look at where all the major revenue programs are currently, trending down big time. Men's basketball is a laugher at best, the hockey program isn't much better, and who knows how the football team is going to end, up and I actually like and support the hiring TC.

My point is Najarian is extremely proud of his family's legacy at the U, specifically his father's, no way he is going to tarnish that or his own name. It's a different kind of skin in the game, a good comparison is if you and your family was part of a church you wouldn't run naked through it because of what the people might think of you and your family. Teague didn't really have that sense of "nakedness." Not about money for Pete, if it was he could do multiples better in the financial markets, its more about legacy.

Who would you like for AD?

Someone who has decades of successful experience working in athletics. Most likely someone you and I have never heard of before. Their alumni status is irrelevant. Where they were born is irrelevant. How much money they've made using financial instruments is irrelevant. Whether or not their dad is a famous surgeon is irrelevant.

look at where all the major revenue programs are currently, trending down big time.

Football is not trending down big time. Hockey is off to a terrible start but half a season does not mean trending down big time. Sane people knew expectations for hoops would be big in 2016-17.

They broke ground on new facilities in October, doesn't that mean the Gophers never lose again?

Someone who has decades of successful experience working in athletics. Most likely someone you and I have never heard of before. Their alumni status is irrelevant. Where they were born is irrelevant. How much money they've made using financial instruments is irrelevant. Whether or not their dad is a famous surgeon is irrelevant.

This. So much this.

Clearly income wasn't a factor for Teague and his shenanigans, look at where all the major revenue programs are currently, trending down big time. Men's basketball is a laugher at best, the hockey program isn't much better, and who knows how the football team is going to end, up and I actually like and support the hiring TC. My point is Najarian is extremely proud of his family's legacy at the U, specifically his father's, no way he is going to tarnish that or his own name. It's a different kind of skin in the game, a good comparison is if you and your family was part of a church you wouldn't run naked through it because of what the people might think of you and your family. Teague didn't really have that sense of "nakedness." Not about money for Pete, if it was he could do multiples better in the financial markets, its more about legacy.
Just because he likes the U and wants it to do well, doesn't mean he won't still fail and inadvertently tarnish his reputation and that of the athletic department just like Teague. Wanting to do a good job isn't all there is to it. You are correct that money wouldn't be his motivation. However, how well do you think he will put up with and enjoy not being able to quickly call the shots and pull the strings. As the owner of his own business he could make whatever changes he wanted without needing to get multiple people's approval. Here he would need the President, Regents, and in some instances booster support to do this. Then add in the fact he doesn't need the money, how quickly until he says screw it and heads to the beach with his money because the bureaucratic red tape isn't worth it. Most people that have started or ran successful businesses don't like going back to being an employee again. Just like most head coaches don't like going back to be coordinators or position coaches once they have been in charge and called the shots.

This. So much this.

Everybody wants that..but reality is we are not going to get that. Who in their right mind is going to want to be the lead AD in this dumpster fire of an athletic dept? If they have all of those qualifications A) they are already getting paid market rate for their services 2) You are taking a step back in your career but having to go in and fix this mess.

And if you were able to pull someone with those credentials the only reason why they are coming here is because they got a pay day from the U. Which tells me he is another pay day from moving on to another program in the future.

Everybody wants that..but reality is we are not going to get that. Who in their right mind is going to want to be the lead AD in this dumpster fire of an athletic dept? If they have all of those qualifications A) they are already getting paid market rate for their services 2) You are taking a step back in your career but having to go in and fix this mess.

And if you were able to pull someone with those credentials the only reason why they are coming here is because they got a pay day from the U. Which tells me he is another pay day from moving on to another program in the future.

So, to summarize, legitimate candidates don't want to come here. Let's not worry about them. Pete Najarian, who has no qualifications whatsoever, would suck and be worse than legitimate candidates (by definition, given that you said no one in their right mind wants this job), but he, a person not in his right mind, is the best we can do, therefore we have to take him. Where do I sign?!?!?!?

What about that large donation? Is it going to be used for research and treatment of bi-polar GH'ers?

Just because he likes the U and wants it to do well, doesn't mean he won't still fail and inadvertently tarnish his reputation and that of the athletic department just like Teague. Wanting to do a good job isn't all there is to it. You are correct that money wouldn't be his motivation. However, how well do you think he will put up with and enjoy not being able to quickly call the shots and pull the strings. As the owner of his own business he could make whatever changes he wanted without needing to get multiple people's approval. Here he would need the President, Regents, and in some instances booster support to do this. Then add in the fact he doesn't need the money, how quickly until he says screw it and heads to the beach with his money because the bureaucratic red tape isn't worth it. Most people that have started or ran successful businesses don't like going back to being an employee again. Just like most head coaches don't like going back to be coordinators or position coaches once they have been in charge and called the shots.

I don't disagree with that statement...I think that is a very fair statement. It all comes down to how much autonomy the U is willing to give him. Something the will have to be vetted among other things. All I am saying is he shouldn't be dismissed because he doesn't have a traditional background and skills that are transferable. Yeah it might take him a bit learn the administrative side of things but that's what his aids are for and I fully agree that we should also keep Beth. He wouldn't throw his hat in the ring if he didn't think he could be any good.

Top Bottom