Large Donation Coming in?

If the people who hired Teague are in charge of hiring our next AD, I am concerned.

Everything you said here can be said about the CEO/president of any large company. Knowing who to hire, who to delegate things too, who to trust, and what decisions are the right ones takes experience. Narjarian as far as I can tell has literally none. Essentially what you're asking for is Goetz to do the job of AD while Narjarian gets the title for being a mascot.

Ditto. We don't need a just a glad hander, we need someone who can lead the department.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

All of the reasons that people want Najarian hired are irrelevant to actually being successful in the job. Minnesota guy? Irrelevant. Wealthy? Irrelevant. Played college football? Irrelevant. He has zero experience working in athletics, zero experience fundraising (to my knowledge), zero experience hiring coaches, etc., etc., etc. The fact that he's even being discussed among otherwise functional adults as a "legitimate" candidate is a complete farce.

Oh, and how about that large donation coming?

Boosters dont agree with you. Their opinion matters more. Sorry.

I am a booster. I agree with myself. You're wrong. Sorry.

Peter would be a great hire as AD. He is smart, pragmatic, aggressive and knows Minnesota, the Business community as well as D1 football.

For all the silly, whining know it all people that think they know what it takes to be an AD and dismiss Najarian, I suggest a little history lesson about a guy that saved a miserable, dying Big Ten program over the river:

Pat Richter:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pat_Richter

Peter would be a great hire as AD. He is smart, pragmatic, aggressive and knows Minnesota, the Business community as well as D1 football. For all the silly, whining know it all people that think they know what it takes to be an AD and dismiss Najarian, I suggest a little history lesson about a guy that saved a miserable, dying Big Ten program over the river: Pat Richter: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pat_Richter

For all the silly, whining know it all people that think they know what it takes to be an AD and support Najarian, I suggest a little history lesson about a guy that further brought down a successful Big Ten program over the lake: Dave Brandon:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dave_Brandon

He co-founded a company that as far as I can tell has more than 100 employees. You practically described what his background is and said he has none of it

He co-founded a company that has ZERO to do with college athletics. I wouldn't hire him to run an accounting or law firm either. Saying we should hire him because he started a consulting company is like saying we should start Rachel Banham at QB next year. She's a Gopher, she's been very successful in women's basketball, and the fans like her! All good things, none of them relevant.

And to everyone saying the boosters want him - we don't have any boosters that give enough $ to dictate who we hire as AD.

For all the silly, whining know it all people that think they know what it takes to be an AD and support Najarian, I suggest a little history lesson about a guy that further brought down a successful Big Ten program over the lake: Dave Brandon:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dave_Brandon

After reading the two bios on Wikipedia, the glaring difference is Brandon's lack of being an D1 athlete. Seems like he was just a nuts and bolts corporate guy that probably just brought a bunch of systems for marketing and HR without the knowledge or passion of being associated with college athletics. I don't know much about Najarian since I've only lived here 5 years, let's see the process play out. Goetz seems to be steadying the ship and hope she stays on as AD or Senior Associate AD. Let's also hope they don't hire someone because they will win the press conference.

After reading the two bios on Wikipedia, the glaring difference is Brandon's lack of being an D1 athlete. Seems like he was just a nuts and bolts corporate guy that probably just brought a bunch of systems for marketing and HR without the knowledge or passion of being associated with college athletics. I don't know much about Najarian since I've only lived here 5 years, let's see the process play out. Goetz seems to be steadying the ship and hope she stays on as AD or Senior Associate AD. Let's also hope they don't hire someone because they will win the press conference.

Brandon played QB at Michigan for Bo Schembechler, which btw is in his Wikipedia bio. :)

He co-founded a company that has ZERO to do with college athletics. I wouldn't hire him to run an accounting or law firm either. Saying we should hire him because he started a consulting company is like saying we should start Rachel Banham at QB next year. She's a Gopher, she's been very successful in women's basketball, and the fans like her! All good things, none of them relevant.

And to everyone saying the boosters want him - we don't have any boosters that give enough $ to dictate who we hire as AD.

I didn't say he should be the AD for sure, I replied to your post in case you forgot, where you said this;

"Everything you said here can be said about the CEO/president of any large company. Knowing who to hire, who to delegate things too, who to trust, and what decisions are the right ones takes experience. Narjarian as far as I can tell has literally none."

I pointed out you basically described his experience to a T and said you can find none of that experience. Maybe I misread your post, but reading it a few times it still seems to be saying "The AD is basically running a business and needs CEO type experience, and Najarian has NONE"

I didn't say he should be the AD for sure, I replied to your post in case you forgot, where you said this;

"Everything you said here can be said about the CEO/president of any large company. Knowing who to hire, who to delegate things too, who to trust, and what decisions are the right ones takes experience. Narjarian as far as I can tell has literally none."

I pointed out you basically described his experience to a T and said you can find none of that experience. Maybe I misread your post, but reading it a few times it still seems to be saying "The AD is basically running a business and needs CEO type experience, and Najarian has NONE"

Gotchya, I should have worded it better. The point that I'm trying to make is that the leader of any large organization should have at least some experience in that field. You can summarize their duties into delegating, hiring, making the big decisions, but all of those things take some level of expertise in the environment you're operating in; of which Najarian has none. The CEO for Target should have some experience in retail. The CEO for Deloitte should have some experience in public Accounting. The AD for the University of Minnesota should have some experience in collegiate athletics.

Rachel does throw a spiral, so zip an email to Clayes.

Gotchya, I should have worded it better. The point that I'm trying to make is that the leader of any large organization should have at least some experience in that field. You can summarize their duties into delegating, hiring, making the big decisions, but all of those things take some level of expertise in the environment you're operating in; of which Najarian has none. The CEO for Target should have some experience in retail. The CEO for Deloitte should have some experience in public Accounting. The AD for the University of Minnesota should have some experience in collegiate athletics.

But he had 26 tackles in the 84-13 loss to Nebraska in '83.

I am a booster.
Slightly off topic, how does one get the title of "booster" is there a donation threshold, a season ticket requirement, etc? Is there an NCAA classification because I know some rules pertain to boosters as well as athletic dept employees.

Slightly off topic, how does one get the title of "booster" is there a donation threshold, a season ticket requirement, etc? Is there an NCAA classification because I know some rules pertain to boosters as well as athletic dept employees.

"Boosters play a role in providing student-athletes with a positive experience through their enthusiastic efforts. They can support teams and athletics departments through donations of time and financial resources which help student-athletes succeed on and off the playing field.

Boosters, referred to by the NCAA as 'representatives of the institution’s athletic interests,' include anyone who has:

• Provided a donation in order to obtain season tickets for any sport at the university.
  • Participated in or has been a member of an organization promoting the university’s athletics programs.
  • Made financial contributions to the athletic department or to a university booster organization.
  • Arranged for or provided employment for enrolled student-athletes.
  • Assisted or has been requested by university staff to assist in the recruitment of prospective student-athletes.
  • Assisted in providing benefits to enrolled student athletes or their families.
  • Been involved otherwise in promoting university athletics.

Once an individual is identified as a 'representative of the institution’s athletics interests,' the person retains that identity forever."

http://www.ncaa.org/enforcement/role-boosters

"Boosters play a role in providing student-athletes with a positive experience through their enthusiastic efforts. They can support teams and athletics departments through donations of time and financial resources which help student-athletes succeed on and off the playing field.

Boosters, referred to by the NCAA as 'representatives of the institution’s athletic interests,' include anyone who has:

• Provided a donation in order to obtain season tickets for any sport at the university.
  • Participated in or has been a member of an organization promoting the university’s athletics programs.
  • Made financial contributions to the athletic department or to a university booster organization.
  • Arranged for or provided employment for enrolled student-athletes.
  • Assisted or has been requested by university staff to assist in the recruitment of prospective student-athletes.
  • Assisted in providing benefits to enrolled student athletes or their families.
  • Been involved otherwise in promoting university athletics.

Once an individual is identified as a 'representative of the institution’s athletics interests,' the person retains that identity forever."

http://www.ncaa.org/enforcement/role-boosters
Sweet. I'm going to give $5 to the Athletic Department and become a booster so my opinions matter more on internet message boards! ;)

Brandon played QB at Michigan for Bo Schembechler, which btw is in his Wikipedia bio. :)

Whoops, my cursory glance at his bio missed the line about being a backup QB! [emoji33]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If the people who hired Teague are in charge of hiring our next AD, I am concerned.

This is a fair point, but I'd point out that basically no one on this board had anything but the utmost confidence in Teague when he was hired.

This is a fair point, but I'd point out that basically no one on this board had anything but the utmost confidence in Teague when he was hired.

That's because they trust that people in high positions have more knowledge and better vetting abilities to make sound hires.

Well to be fair Golden_Sloth, he founded OptionsMonster, not a consulting firm. If you know anything about options and trading them and of course running a options brokerage it is extremely complicated and risky, not to mention highly regulated by the Securities Exchange Commission. There are many instances where companies bring in outside executives with very little or no experience in the specific industry but have always found a way to be successful. Pete is extremely intelligent and well spoken, his father was a well known transplant surgeon and professor at the U. The college needs a face of their own to run the program, Teague was dumpster fire hire with no real ties to the program and it created a mess. My personal opinion is that the U needs to bring somebody in with some in-state pride, tax payers are really tired of funding these highly-regarded positions with no real return back to the community in some form. By virtue of his own name and linkage to the U via family name, Pete would be morally obligated to himself to ensure he doesn't screw that up. I like the fact he has some "skin" in the game.

Well to be fair Golden_Sloth, he founded OptionsMonster, not a consulting firm. If you know anything about options and trading them and of course running a options brokerage it is extremely complicated and risky, not to mention highly regulated by the Securities Exchange Commission. There are many instances where companies bring in outside executives with very little or no experience in the specific industry but have always found a way to be successful. Pete is extremely intelligent and well spoken, his father was a well known transplant surgeon and professor at the U. The college needs a face of their own to run the program, Teague was dumpster fire hire with no real ties to the program and it created a mess. My personal opinion is that the U needs to bring somebody in with some in-state pride, tax payers are really tired of funding these highly-regarded positions with no real return back to the community in some form. By virtue of his own name and linkage to the U via family name, Pete would be morally obligated to himself to ensure he doesn't screw that up. I like the fact he has some "skin" in the game.

Thanks for joining the board, Pete!

Top Bottom