Lane Kiffin rants about transfer portal: 'They're going where they're going to get paid the most'

Wait til schools like NDSU start getting "raided" for prospects... Will FCS teams be able to hang on to their star players? It's going to be interesting to see what happens. People have joked about Abilene Christian being Gopher country, but the sort of thing that has brought players like Ryan Stapp to the Gophers is going to become more and more prevalent. It won't be the senior graduate transfers like Jack Gibbons with only one season remaining... it'll be players with 2 and 3 seasons transferring, and it's going to happen a lot.
Yeah the other thing that could slow it down is not allowing the one time free transfer

Wait til schools like NDSU start getting "raided" for prospects... Will FCS teams be able to hang on to their star players? It's going to be interesting to see what happens. People have joked about Abilene Christian being Gopher country, but the sort of thing that has brought players like Ryan Stapp to the Gophers is going to become more and more prevalent. It won't be the senior graduate transfers like Jack Gibbons with only one season remaining... it'll be players with 2 and 3 seasons transferring, and it's going to happen a lot.
I can see that. We're the AAA Minor League to the Pro teams and those teams will become single A or Double AA.

Do NIL contracts have to disclose how much a student athlete is getting?
Maybe penalize a school if the total NIL dollars their players collectively receive exceeds a certain amount.

I know it'll never happen, but just think what that would do to the big schools when some kid gets a 2M contract and that exceeds a teams cap before they start taking away scholarships or something.

I dunno...My sinister brain is just throwin' shit out there.

The Supreme Court essentially laughed at drawing a such a line. 9-0.

Well yah. It's not really something that court could enforce. It would be an NCAA thing.

Well yah. It's not really something that court could enforce. It would be an NCAA thing.
Not following. The court just said it's restraint of trade, so the "NCAA thing" would be subject to litigation. They would most likely lose. Big.

I am happy that the players are no longer restrained by rules designed to make coaches, schools and the NCAA rich off their backs. I hope each one negotiates the best deal possible and makes as much as possible while they play a game they love and go to school.

It's going to divide college football... between those schools who have boosters that are willing to shell out a bunch of money and the schools who cannot pay. Those that can't pony up the $$$$ will be second class programs. Sure, a lot of this has gone on in the past under the table, so to speak. Now, though, it's all going to be done out in the open all nice and legal.

We'll be seeing the best coaches going to the schools who are willing to work with the boosters to get recruits paid... The good thing is that a school that wants to "step up to the big time" will be able to buy their way into relevancy... Does Minnesota have the local boosters who are willing to pay for a big time program? We're gonna find out.
Agreed. A LOT of it is commonplace and has been for decades.

MN boosters better know the new game. And be willing to play it.

What Lane K is upset about is Nick Saban. Saban said preseason or very early that his QB hadn't played a down and was making a million$ dollars in NIL money already. Then he wins the Heisman on top of it. Yet, the Ole Miss QB might be the first QB drafted in the upcoming NFL draft. Ole Miss has to beat Alabama and accomplishing that has become even harder now.

I, like many of you predicted this would happen. Now the “rich” really prosper at the expense of schools like the Gophers. Sad
Exactly. Booster payments disguised as NIL agreements. It is the wild west and it will be the ruin of college football if they do not reign it in.

Are you kidding? NDSU is nothing, wait till the money schools raid all of the other teams in the P5. A QB develops at Illinois, Texas A&M, Virginia, Iowa State, Arizona, etc ... poof he is gone the next year.

Lane Kiffin, casting moral judgements upon athletes for jumping ship in order to chase the money. All for the filthy lucre! Clutch your pearls, Lane!

Wow. Have you any self-awareness at all, Lane? Look in the mirror, you Minnesota-born football Bubba.

Would Lane Kiffin think twice about moving to another job for a big raise in pay?

That's what Brian Kelly just did leaving South Bend.

28 states have NIL laws for student athletes. Minnesota doesn’t have an NIL law. Compared to other states, Mississippi universities are allowed to place limitations on when Mississippi student athletes can participate in endorsement-related activities.

Would coaches be willing to be paid $250,000 and there rest of their absolutely obscene compensation be funneled to the players?

No? Then stop complaining.

No idea where this should go, or if it deserves its own thread. So here it is:

No idea where this should go, or if it deserves its own thread. So here it is:

The recent Supreme Court decision was about compensation of total cost of education and did not address restraint of trade or antitrust. Some looked at Kavanaughs statement as a predictive statement the court will not place any restraints on player compensation. If “Bubba” is correct what restraint of trade would he support? Why would schools or the NCAA be able to enforce eligibility rules, and so on.

All sports leagues restrict player freedom and the NFL is an prime example of having massive restraint of trade. There have to be restrictions (or so the argument goes) otherwise competition becomes a farce (and owners have to pay up, secondarily).

NCAA sports absolutely have to be able to restrain player freedom or the whole thing will spectacularly collapse, eventually.

This is a good and accessible synopsis of some of the legal arguments around these issues:

Kiffin is a tool....but he isn't wrong in this case. The overall concept of NIL is a good thing for players. But schools using it as a way to openly pay players is not what it was intended for and they better get a handle on it soon to keep teams from just openly buying players. I mean the 50K for any scholarship lineman that Texas is trying to pull is a complete joke and should not be allowed to happen.
The whole NIL will run its course and will be eliminated as we know it today after the reality of it being a disaster for these players. The cheating fraud and scum will otherwise ruin what we have today. The portal thing is abused as well and will be modified too.

The whole NIL will run its course and will be eliminated as we know it today after the reality of it being a disaster for these players. The cheating fraud and scum will otherwise ruin what we have today. The portal thing is abused as well and will be modified too.
Yeah, the really aggressive programs will push the limits to find out where the line is that they can't cross, knowing there won't be any real punishments for crossing it initially. At some point it will settle in and not be nearly as crazy. But the NCAA is in a tricky spot if teams essentially start openly paying their kids a yearly salary in addition to their scholarship which is essentially what Texas is trying to do with their 50K for every scholarship lineman. And obviously if they get away with doing it for lineman, it won't take long for this to extend to all the scholarship players.

The recent Supreme Court decision was about compensation of total cost of education and did not address restraint of trade or antitrust. Some looked at Kavanaughs statement as a predictive statement the court will not place any restraints on player compensation. If “Bubba” is correct what restraint of trade would he support? Why would schools or the NCAA be able to enforce eligibility rules, and so on.

All sports leagues restrict player freedom and the NFL is an prime example of having massive restraint of trade. There have to be restrictions (or so the argument goes) otherwise competition becomes a farce (and owners have to pay up, secondarily).

NCAA sports absolutely have to be able to restrain player freedom or the whole thing will spectacularly collapse, eventually.

This is a good and accessible synopsis of some of the legal arguments around these issues:

The restraint of trade in the NFL is based on the Collective Bargaining Agreement with the players.

The only way that happens in the NCAA (or whatever collegiate body could takes it's place) is if it becomes an Employee-Employer Relationship with the players & universities. My guess is that was Bubba's entire point.

I, like many of you predicted this would happen. Now the “rich” really prosper at the expense of schools like the Gophers. Sad
I'm not so sure if this is true. I can't think of many examples of players leaving average P5 schools to go to the big boys. There are a number of players who went helmet school to helmet school and I can think of a ton of players who went helmet school to P5 non-helmet school (LSU RB to WI, Pickney to MN).

I think the transfer portal is actually going to even out some of the talent. 5 years ago, the big programs were able to stockpile talent a lot more.

If we're talking about HS recruiting, yeah, nothing has changed. It's always been dominated by the helmet schools.

It's going to divide college football... between those schools who have boosters that are willing to shell out a bunch of money and the schools who cannot pay. Those that can't pony up the $$$$ will be second class programs. Sure, a lot of this has gone on in the past under the table, so to speak. Now, though, it's all going to be done out in the open all nice and legal.

We'll be seeing the best coaches going to the schools who are willing to work with the boosters to get recruits paid... The good thing is that a school that wants to "step up to the big time" will be able to buy their way into relevancy... Does Minnesota have the local boosters who are willing to pay for a big time program? We're gonna find out.
As opposed to how it was before?

Do NIL contracts have to disclose how much a student athlete is getting?
Maybe penalize a school if the total NIL dollars their players collectively receive exceeds a certain amount.

I know it'll never happen, but just think what that would do to the big schools when some kid gets a 2M contract and that exceeds a teams cap before they start taking away scholarships or something.

I dunno...My sinister brain is just throwin' shit out there.
The players are required to report the school and the school is required to record the deals.

it’s not clear if exact dollar amounts are required for each transaction.

28 states have NIL laws for student athletes. Minnesota doesn’t have an NIL law. Compared to other states, Mississippi universities are allowed to place limitations on when Mississippi student athletes can participate in endorsement-related activities.
Yup, state laws can place more limits on NIL deals but they cannot allow more than the NCAA allows.

I'm not so sure if this is true. I can't think of many examples of players leaving average P5 schools to go to the big boys. There are a number of players who went helmet school to helmet school and I can think of a ton of players who went helmet school to P5 non-helmet school (LSU RB to WI, Pickney to MN).

I think the transfer portal is actually going to even out some of the talent. 5 years ago, the big programs were able to stockpile talent a lot more.

If we're talking about HS recruiting, yeah, nothing has changed. It's always been dominated by the helmet schools.
Anytime the Gophers can get grad transfers who want a chance for the NFL talent scout to recognize them, that is a big plus.

These are players buried deep in a P5 bench (Pinckney), or players from lower division programs (Gibbens) who want to showcase their talents.

The other types of players that benefit the Gophers are like Dylan Wright, a 4-Star WR who was playing in a team that doesn't pass much.

When the Gophers start winning titles, they will be hearing from these players more often. Everybody likes a winner.

college coaches will be butt hurt but players should be aloud to do whats right for them, also only a small percentage of college football players will make big bucks in nil anyway. coaches can shop their options why can't players get over it lame

the portal is new. NIL is new. it will take some time for things to settle out, but they will settle out.

If players are going to be paid, I would rather have it done through an NIL deal with a sponsor as opposed to an under-the-table payment from a fat cat.

and not everyone is going to be getting rich on NIL. even at the helmet schools, most NIL money will be going to the star players - QB, RB, WR, maybe a DE. the backup left guard or the 2nd-team nickel back is not going to be hauling in big NIL deals.

on the portal - remember, the HS kids signing a LOI are 17 or 18 years old. they're kids. and some of them may change their mind or have second thoughts.

If a coach can walk away from a contract and jump from one team to another, the players should have some ability to change teams. under the new rules, everyone gets one free transfer. that is not going to destroy college sports.

Top Bottom