Lane Kiffin rants about transfer portal: 'They're going where they're going to get paid the most'

Actually, the "old days" pre-WWII were the wild west for college football and player money making. Dave Revsine wrote a great book on that history. NCAA membership and financial aid rulemaking increased in the decades after that. We could be going back to the old days.
There is nothing new in the world except the history you don’t know
― Harry Truman

Thanks for that rec, will check it out.

Years ago, I watched an old John Wayne film called Trouble Along the Way. He was a football coach that was enlisted by a cash-strapped catholic college to put together a winning (revenue producing) football team. He used money-making incentives to attract entrepreneurial players. This is where we're headed.

Don't know the answer and don't feel like looking it up just now. Does the CFL have a minimum age requirement?

It is a tricky issue but it seems like the number of football players complaining about it is pretty low. I can remember it came up with Maurice Clarett and I think Larry Fitzgerald. But can't think of a lot of other times recently where there has been much mention of the desire for guys to be eligible for the NFL sooner.

If they were able to I think a lot more guys would test the waters, foolish or not. Again, I’d allow them to re-enter at a college program if it doesn’t work out. Then again, nobody asked me.

Someone needs to go to, say... Target... and facilitate a sweet deal for the next superstar player. Then move on to 3M... There's a lot of big corporations in the Twin Cities... we just need to make them feel like they'll get some benefit from spending some advertising cash on the Gophers.

That's Sid/Harvey Mackay talk. Those days are long gone. Big companies are in business to boost shareholder value, not support the local college football team. Ultra wealthy fans who want to buy championships is where the money comes from.

The big difference is that in the past you needed shady boosters who were willing to do unscrupulous crap to get those recruits... Those were hard to find. Now, though... Just need to find people to navigate the NIL landscape. Someone needs to go to, say... Target... and facilitate a sweet deal for the next superstar player. Then move on to 3M... There's a lot of big corporations in the Twin Cities... we just need to make them feel like they'll get some benefit from spending some advertising cash on the Gophers.

Yup. Personally, I think General Mills should put together a Pillsbury Dough Boy campaign using gigantic linemen recruits for promotion. The marketing opportunities are endless.

Top Bottom