Lane Kiffin rants about transfer portal: 'They're going where they're going to get paid the most'

college coaches are notorious liars when recruiting and will say anything to get kids on campus, maybe they should be honest and transparent when recruiting kids so that they wont feel the need to transfer. I have personal expiriences along with friends who have been lied to multiple times by college football coaches. I have even heard of college coaches not learning their players names if they arent making plays at practice

college coaches are notorious liars when recruiting and will say anything to get kids on campus, maybe they should be honest and transparent when recruiting kids so that they wont feel the need to transfer. I have personal expiriences along with friends who have been lied to multiple times by college football coaches. I have even heard of college coaches not learning their players names if they arent making plays at practice
This is the part that is going to get sketchy. Deion denying that NIL had anything to do with this kid flipping to him is absolute shit. You know these offers are going to come out all over the place, and there's going to be next to no way for the kid to protect themselves from it, which will be particularly exploitative in situations where guys are coming from underprivledged households hoping to life families out of poverty who may be coerced into signing/transferring due to money that never comes through.

Yeah, the really aggressive programs will push the limits to find out where the line is that they can't cross, knowing there won't be any real punishments for crossing it initially. At some point it will settle in and not be nearly as crazy. But the NCAA is in a tricky spot if teams essentially start openly paying their kids a yearly salary in addition to their scholarship which is essentially what Texas is trying to do with their 50K for every scholarship lineman. And obviously if they get away with doing it for lineman, it won't take long for this to extend to all the scholarship players.
If it gets to salary and a scholarship, the whole thing implodes and you will see the NFL go back to a money making development league open to any age for the most part. College football back to the beginnings, back to the old days but of course that will not work with the stadiums and infrastructure we have now. The whole thing is bad.

The restraint of trade in the NFL is based on the Collective Bargaining Agreement with the players.

The only way that happens in the NCAA (or whatever collegiate body could takes it's place) is if it becomes an Employee-Employer Relationship with the players & universities. My guess is that was Bubba's entire point.

Do you foresee any problems with athletes asking for equal pay for equal work? Title IX. If athletes are reclassified as employees do the obligations of scholarship + salary/hourly rate + benefit costs cause some schools to reduce the size of their athletic department offerings?

I don’t know, I’m just a schlub throwing schit against the wall.

As opposed to how it was before?
Just hold on to your hat, Bob... it's about to take off. It's gonna make handing $25,000 in a paper bag to Eric Dickerson look quaint and very old-fashioned.

Just hold on to your hat, Bob... it's about to take off. It's gonna make handing $25,000 in a paper bag to Eric Dickerson look quaint and very old-fashioned.
Maybe. I've seen the cars driven by the Alabama and LSU players for the last decade. It might be more in the open, but I don't see how it could possibly get more one-sided than it already was.

We'll be seeing the best coaches going to the schools who are willing to work with the boosters to get recruits paid... The good thing is that a school that wants to "step up to the big time" will be able to buy their way into relevancy... Does Minnesota have the local boosters who are willing to pay for a big time program? We're gonna find out.
If we did, I'd hope that the team would have been a lot better over the past 30 years. I've said before, it's really too bad this team didn't have a sugar daddy.

If we did, I'd hope that the team would have been a lot better over the past 30 years. I've said before, it's really too bad this team didn't have a sugar daddy.
The big difference is that in the past you needed shady boosters who were willing to do unscrupulous crap to get those recruits... Those were hard to find. Now, though... Just need to find people to navigate the NIL landscape. Someone needs to go to, say... Target... and facilitate a sweet deal for the next superstar player. Then move on to 3M... There's a lot of big corporations in the Twin Cities... we just need to make them feel like they'll get some benefit from spending some advertising cash on the Gophers.

I know a lot of people do not like Lane Kiffin, but I think he is an interesting part of college football.

The paper bag is now gone. That's the whole idea, I think.

Look what Tom Brady's doing now...

Tampa Bay Buccaneers QB Tom Brady signs NIL deals with college athletes for new apparel line​

The restraint of trade in the NFL is based on the Collective Bargaining Agreement with the players.

That, and some very well paid NFL lawyers managing, against all odds, to convince the courts that the NFL deserves exemption from anti-trust laws.

Last edited:

If it gets to salary and a scholarship, the whole thing implodes and you will see the NFL go back to a money making development league open to any age for the most part. College football back to the beginnings, back to the old days but of course that will not work with the stadiums and infrastructure we have now. The whole thing is bad.

I think you're right about how this may end. The reason it may, in fact, go down that way is because the entire NCAA system long ago became bloated with large amounts of money, amounts that grew to staggering proportions when TV money started pouring in. In a system that proudly billed itself as 'amateur', and claimed to be based on education of student-athletes (wink, wink) this led, naturally, to cheating and corruption on a grand scale.

'College football, back to the beginnings', as you put it, would be exactly that: college football as it was originally intended to be, meaning actual student-athletes playing for nothing except their love of the sport and for their schools, while simultaneously working hard to obtain their education.

The athletes who have no real interest in a college education and want only to chase NFL or NBA dollars would be free to do so in developmental leagues without having to pretend to be students.

In a world where college football is truly amateur once again, the TV money probably goes away, or at least become much reduced. I can see how Dabo and Lane would feel very, very threatened by that.

Last edited:

I think you're right about how this may end. The reason it may, in fact, go down that way is because the entire NCAA system long ago became bloated with large amounts of money, amounts that grew to staggering proportions when TV money started pouring in. In a system that proudly billed itself as 'amateur', and claimed to be based on education of student-athletes (wink, wink) this led, naturally, to cheating and corruption on a grand scale.

'College football, back to the beginnings', as you put it, would be exactly that: college football as it was originally intended to be, meaning actual student-athletes playing for nothing except their love of the sport and for their schools, while simultaneously working hard to obtain their education.

The athletes who have no real interest in a college education and want only to chase NFL or NBA dollars would be free to do so in developmental leagues without having to pretend to be students.

In a world where college football is truly amateur once again, the TV money probably goes away, or at least become much reduced. I can see how Dabo and Lane would feel very, very threatened by that.

Yes, the NFL (and its many dead and buried imitators/competitors) should allow eligibility for any player regardless of age. The arbitrary 3 years past high school graduation seems anti-competitive.

Perhaps, just throwing more schit, if fans really want to see professional college athletes consider merging the leagues. Get the courts and legislation behind a demolition of NFL carve-outs in the interest of free market forces and opportunity for disenfranchised to gain immediate economic benefit as teenagers; deregulate restriction of number of NFL franchises, restrictions on private and public ownership, player eligibility restrictions, player free agency. What say you, justice Kavanaugh? One hundred sixty some NFL teams across 50 states, many publicly owned. Expand access to high paying salaried and incentivized jobs - not just paltry NIL, or pathetic scholarship awards. DirectTV wins. Players win - no eligibility limitations. No skool garbage, student athlete fakery. No finals, No tests.

Why does the NFL get a free pass here? NFL players voted to keep kids from earning a living?

Amen...

honestly i don't know if that's true. I watch the Gophers because they're my team, not because of the guys we signed. I think most CFB fans are that way. you watch for your school, which would still be the same. It's the same reason the lower tier NFL leagues haven't caught on. there's no brand association. there's a regionalism about CFB that won't go away even if the highest touted athletes go play in the developmental leagues

The big difference is that in the past you needed shady boosters who were willing to do unscrupulous crap to get those recruits... Those were hard to find. Now, though... Just need to find people to navigate the NIL landscape. Someone needs to go to, say... Target... and facilitate a sweet deal for the next superstar player. Then move on to 3M... There's a lot of big corporations in the Twin Cities... we just need to make them feel like they'll get some benefit from spending some advertising cash on the Gophers.
I know this has been discussed ad nauseum, but these are national corporations. why would they care that a local Gopher endorses the product? that doesn't sell me any more tables in Arkansas or dishware sets in Washington or surgical masks in China. You're aiming way too large with your corporations who you will notice historically don't have any athletes as their people (if you're target, you're trying to sign Brady who has international appeal, not CRAB even though the money is astronomically different because signing CRAB does nothing for your bottom line). Your better bet is to try hit the car dealers, local healthcare systems (vaccine drive? concussions? there could be promos there), and local food chains to try get them on board. the money is lower, but the appeal for that brand is potentially higher. The difficulty here is, however, that the businesses have a huge pool to draw off with Vikings, Wild, Twins, Loons, Wolves, etc. all drawing possibly larger scale appeal. Your targets have to be lower like Morgan who did some shirts with SotaStick.

The paper bag is now gone. That's the whole idea, I think.

Look what Tom Brady's doing now...

Tampa Bay Buccaneers QB Tom Brady signs NIL deals with college athletes for new apparel line​

Brady isn't a bag man tho, sure he isn't giving an OSU guy money but his deals are more about business. I am sure OSU fans hate Brady so the money would be wasted there anyway.

Do you foresee any problems with athletes asking for equal pay for equal work? Title IX. If athletes are reclassified as employees do the obligations of scholarship + salary/hourly rate + benefit costs cause some schools to reduce the size of their athletic department offerings?

I don’t know, I’m just a schlub throwing schit against the wall.
Indeed. Lots of significant details to work out.

Yes, the NFL (and its many dead and buried imitators/competitors) should allow eligibility for any player regardless of age. The arbitrary 3 years past high school graduation seems anti-competitive.

Perhaps, just throwing more schit, if fans really want to see professional college athletes consider merging the leagues. Get the courts and legislation behind a demolition of NFL carve-outs in the interest of free market forces and opportunity for disenfranchised to gain immediate economic benefit as teenagers; deregulate restriction of number of NFL franchises, restrictions on private and public ownership, player eligibility restrictions, player free agency. What say you, justice Kavanaugh? One hundred sixty some NFL teams across 50 states, many publicly owned. Expand access to high paying salaried and incentivized jobs - not just paltry NIL, or pathetic scholarship awards. DirectTV wins. Players win - no eligibility limitations. No skool garbage, student athlete fakery. No finals, No tests.

Why does the NFL get a free pass here? NFL players voted to keep kids from earning a living?
I actually think the 3 year rule before you are NFL eligible is a great rule. Keeps kids from being talked into making a stupid decision by agents as there would be VERY few players physically ready for the NFL after high school. Those extra years to develop and grow are key to surviving at the NFL level.

I think this is probably true. Our system is a bit dysfunctional because we have school/education tied to essentially minor league sports. But unlike other minor league sports, this one is incredibly profitable.

I don't know if paying these people makes it less dysfunctional. I don't know if there is going to be a higher percentage of these types (in bold) than there were prior to NIL. We always pretended these people were students and they made a lot of people a lot of money.

I actually think the 3 year rule before you are NFL eligible is a great rule. Keeps kids from being talked into making a stupid decision by agents as there would be VERY few players physically ready for the NFL after high school. Those extra years to develop and grow are key to surviving at the NFL level.
I actually agree with this too, even though in pretty much every other major sport, you can turn pro much younger. The sheer physical size and speed of NFL-level players is so much different than even most college players.

I actually agree with this too, even though in pretty much every other major sport, you can turn pro much younger. The sheer physical size and speed of NFL-level players is so much different than even most college players.
Yeah, there is no comparison to the size and speed of NFL players even at the highest level of High School football in the most talent rich areas of the country like Florida or Texas.

Not saying it would be impossible for someone to make the jump straight from high school to the NFL but it would take a special athlete to do it and be successful.

Hey, if you want "pure" college football, you already have it - at D3, D2 and even FCS. I don't anticipate a lot of NDSU kids raking in huge amounts of NIL from all the businesses in Fargo.

The issues being discussed are specific to D1 college FB, and really to the G5 and P5 conferences.
Those are the leagues that generate the big TV money, and where the players will have the greatest opportunities for NIL. Those are also the leagues that will see the most activity from the transfer portal as players chase NFL opportunities.

So, I could see some future reorganization of G5 and P5 into their own entity with their own TV deals, etc. just thinking out loud, maybe players would have to choose - scholarship or salary. I think it's less likely that G5 and P5 become a de facto development program for the NFL, but I suppose anything's possible. Here's a thought - future draft picks, like the NHL. the Vikes draft some kid but he goes back to play another year in college, with all the Vikes' fans following the kid to see how he does.

While FCS, D2 and D3 will go along just as they have done in the past.

Here's a thought - future draft picks, like the NHL. the Vikes draft some kid but he goes back to play another year in college, with all the Vikes' fans following the kid to see how he does.
I honestly don't understand why the other leagues don't follow the NHL model.

Well most other leagues have a minor league option if they choose to not go to college. You can develop in the G League/Europe, the Baseball Minors or the AHL/ECHL/Juniors without having to go to school.

The NFL has college football and nothing else.

As for NIL there are lots of business in and around the U of M and the TC Market...that is probably the best chance at NIL opportunities. The big companies have no real tie to the U.

Eh, I mostly agree as the median confluence of peak speed, strength, and experience is probably the mid 20s but the same argument could be made of college athletes. Wasn’t there a time when freshmen were prohibited from competition?

There are freak athletes that are more than ready to compete at 18, 19, 20 years old. Should they be blanket prohibited from earning a living as a professional athlete rather than forced to go through a degree program. I don’t think that’s any more defensible than restricting true freshman from starting in college.

I‘m a proponent of the School of Experience and don’t believe people should be prohibited from making bad decisions. Some will learn from no other school. But, I also think athletes that declare early and go undrafted should be allowed back into NCAA completion.

Last edited:

Actually, the "old days" pre-WWII were the wild west for college football and player money making. Dave Revsine wrote a great book on that history. NCAA membership and financial aid rulemaking increased in the decades after that. We could be going back to the old days.

Eh, I mostly agree as the median confluence of peak speed, strength, and experience is probably the mid 20s but the same argument could be made of college athletes. Wasn’t there a time when freshmen were prohibited from competition?

There are freak athletes that are more than ready to compete at 18, 19, 20 years old. Should they be blanket prohibited from earning a living as a professional athlete rather than forced to go through a degree program. I don’t think that’s any more defensible than restricting true freshman from starting in college.

I‘m a proponent of the School of Experience and don’t believe people should be prohibited from making bad decisions. Some will learn from no other school. But, I also think athletes that declare early and go undrafted should be allowed back into NCAA completion.

Don't know the answer and don't feel like looking it up just now. Does the CFL have a minimum age requirement?

It is a tricky issue but it seems like the number of football players complaining about it is pretty low. I can remember it came up with Maurice Clarett and I think Larry Fitzgerald. But can't think of a lot of other times recently where there has been much mention of the desire for guys to be eligible for the NFL sooner.

Top Bottom