Ky Thomas enters portal

You assume a whole lot. That's what bugs me most. You just think you have it figured out. You never bother asking. A true sign of ignorance.
So having an opinion is a sure sign of ignorance? I am not sure that word means what you think it does.

He has already sat a year and a half...he wants to play college football.
The guy had the 10th most rushes in the Big 10 as a Freshman. He would have gotten ~150 carries next season. If he left to go to Kansas because of playing time, he made a poor decision. He had more carries last year than their leading rusher (a freshman who put up good numbers).

If he left because he's homesick and wants to be closer to family. . .it's disappointing but that would at least be logical. If he left because of lack of carries, it's a dumb move (IMO).

Either way, I'll cheer for him if he ends up anywhere other than the Big 10. I just don't think the move is going to necessarily help him or his draft stock.

He's visiting Kansas and if he ends up there, people will need to realize that the decision is likely based more on off the field items than on the field.
Yep. (we are likely ignorant though just ask Sonjay!)

It really sucks Ky left but it isn't like he was going to get the lions share of the carries next year most likely barring injury. (it was going to likely be committee with Mo doing the legwork when able) Too many returning players. He can do better than Kansas based on last year if he wanted to though so yeah he probably has reasons to go there. (or KSU)

FWIW though I dont think he would be a starter at a college even slightly better than the Gophers.

The guy had the 10th most rushes in the Big 10 as a Freshman. He would have gotten ~150 carries next season. If he left to go to Kansas because of playing time, he made a poor decision. He had more carries last year than their leading rusher (a freshman who put up good numbers).

If he left because he's homesick and wants to be closer to family. . .it's disappointing but that would at least be logical. If he left because of lack of carries, it's a dumb move (IMO).

Either way, I'll cheer for him if he ends up anywhere other than the Big 10. I just don't think the move is going to necessarily help him or his draft stock.
Very unlikely he is moving for draft stock reasons.

So having an opinion is a sure sign of ignorance? I am not sure that word means what you think it does.
Your opinions are great. Your assumptions have been the proving ground.

Last edited:

Yep. (we are likely ignorant though just ask Sonjay!)

It really sucks Ky left but it isn't like he was going to get the lions share of the carries next year most likely barring injury. (it was going to likely be committee with Mo doing the legwork when able) Too many returning players. He can do better than Kansas based on last year if he wanted to though so yeah he probably has reasons to go there. (or KSU)

FWIW though I dont think he would be a starter at a college even slightly better than the Gophers.
You and btown may want to look up the word and then we can debate.

He wouldn't go pro behind Kansas' shit line that seems like a poor decision to then need a second transfer and sitting out a year to go to a better school

If he goes to Kansas, that would be a great shot in the arm for them. They have not been relevant since Mason coached there.
I liked Thomas. I have no ill will. I hope he is the next Gayle Sayers.
We will be fine.

Ky was the best rb we had this season. It is ok to admit that this is a loss.
Running backs were interchangeable behind the Movers. Ky started season No. 5. Without injuries he would have moved past Wiley and maybe Williams. Mo and Potts stay ahead of him all year if healthy.

His decision to transfer tells me he believes Potts will be 100%. He knows Mo will get limited carries if he can play. He would get plenty of work behind Mo but not too much behind both Mo and Potts and competing with Bucky for third back carries.

If he goes to Kansas, that would be a great shot in the arm for them. They have not been relevant since Mason coached there.
We will be fine.
they haven't won more than 3 games since 2009 and only 23 in the last 12 seasons, they need a whole lot more than a RB

There is reality, perception, and ego all involved in the mix here.

virtually all of these guys were stars in HS. We don't know who is or was in their ear and what they're hearing. "You should be starting." "You're going to be a top draft pick." "The Coaches aren't giving treating your fairly." etc.

So these kids come into a major college program, and suddenly they're not the top dog any more. they are sitting on the bench and watching other people play in front of them.

every kid in that situation deals with it differently. some accept it better than others.

and every kid may have different goals - realistic or not.

in the past, those players had fewer options. now, they have the portal.

so, if a player believes he should be #1 at his position, and doesn't think that's going to happen at his current school, it's a lot easier to say "bleep it, I'll go somewhere else."
In Ky's case he doesn't need to believe he should be No. 1 at Minnesota. After his great partial first season he just wants to be the No. 1 back somewhere. He doesn't want to spend next year as No. 3 or 4.

In Ky's case he doesn't need to believe he should be No. 1 at Minnesota. After his great partial first season he just wants to be the No. 1 back somewhere. He doesn't want to spend next year as No. 3 or 4.
Will be interesting to see how it all works out for him.

We will be fine.
They won the Orange Bowl in 2008. They smoked us the next year in Phoenix.

Not an extended period of success, but Mangino has that thing rolling for a brief period. They definitely were relevant.

Your point still stands though. Weis & Miles didn't exactly re-start it.

Someone mentioned here that Fleck suspects Kansas of tampering with Ky to get him to enter the portal. If true, I wonder if NIL was involved.

Someone mentioned here that Fleck suspects Kansas of tampering with Ky to get him to enter the portal. If true, I wonder if NIL was involved.
It was Kansas State (not Kansas) suspected of tampering on this thread.

It was Kansas State (not Kansas) suspected of tampering on this thread.
Correct - and what is interesting is that it does not appear K-State has offered yet. So perhaps there is some steam to the tampering accusation and they're keeping their head down? I'm curious as to the details of the complaint.

I think Ky would be going to a good situation at Kansas. I was worried their new coach would become the head coach at Illinois. Glad he ended up at Kansas. I think they're going to be an up and coming team minus the fact I believe the Big 12 teams will take a recruiting hit with their lack of a big TV contract with Texas and OU leaving.

I think Ky would be going to a good situation at Kansas. I was worried their new coach would become the head coach at Illinois. Glad he ended up at Kansas. I think they're going to be an up and coming team minus the fact I believe the Big 12 teams will take a recruiting hit with their lack of a big TV contract with Texas and OU leaving.
Hilarious how closely they've played Texas the last 5 meetings. 2 wins, a 2 point loss, a 7 point loss, and a 15 point loss. Texas won the 13 prior meetings with only two one score games.

Correct - and what is interesting is that it does not appear K-State has offered yet. So perhaps there is some steam to the tampering accusation and they're keeping their head down? I'm curious as to the details of the complaint.
I just heard about this. Saw several Kansas St fans randomly telling Fleck to “go f himself” and didn’t get what they were talking about. If true, they cheated and got caught. Not Fleck’s fault.

Top Bottom