Ky Thomas enters portal

For this coming year are you taking the over or under on him out producing last year?

Ky Thomas is easily the second best back behind Mo, so much better than Bucky.
If I only had one of those two backs and none of the other 3, I choose Thomas.
If I had one or more of the other 3 and had to choose one I choose Irving.

Thomas a better every down back. Irving a better change of pace back. So to me, it depends on role you are having them play

Bucky is younger than Ky, was rated higher than him out of high school, and was just as productive if not more so on a per touch basis. How anyone could say Ky is SO MUCH better makes little sense.
Bucky needs to add about 10 LBs in the off season/develop more strength then watch him cause havoc running inside being a miniMo with that extra gear once he gets past the front - I see Maronyesque ability!

Good for him. Obviously the KU football program is at a different spot than Minnesota's. He made the decision that was best for him. I can tell you the the KU campus has a much different feel than that of Minnesota's and Lawrence is a FANTASTIC college town that is way different than the Twin Cities.

Good for him and Rock Chalk!

I'm assuming getting close to home was important to him then. Either because he's home sick or some kind of family situation. Hope he does well.
It really is interesting, though. If one of those is the reason, you'd think he would've jumped on the KU offer right away. He's from Topeka, which I believe is like next door to Lawrence. But he sat on this decision for quite a while, which makes me wonder whether he was hoping for another offer like KSU...who perhaps backed off due to the tampering allegation. Of course none of us know, but it'd be interesting to get the scoop.

Bucky is younger than Ky, was rated higher than him out of high school, and was just as productive if not more so on a per touch basis. How anyone could say Ky is SO MUCH better makes little sense.
Ky was the better back last year by a small margin. He is a year older and more experienced than Bucky so that is understandable. Both were excellent behind a superb front.

Ky made a decision based on his desire to be the lead back, something he would not be next season with the Gophers if Mo and Potts are healthy. He probably knows more about their return prospects than we do.

And being from Kansas he might be attracted to a great college town in his home state.

Welcome to the internet, friend.

I agree with you. I think they were different kinds of backs too. Bucky has more home run potential but Ky could probably handle more carries. Potts (healthy) somewhere in between the two.

I agree with you. I think they were different kinds of backs too. Bucky has more home run potential but Ky could probably handle more carries. Potts (healthy) somewhere in between the two.
They were perfect complementary backs. Hate to see him go.
Injured MO is a huge question mark.

Kansas last year got rid of Les Miles and hired the head coach from Buffalo, who had done some pretty nice things there. He had coached at Wisconsin-Whitewater for some years as well, which is a DIII natty contender usually every year.

Conf losing Texas and OU, might make some room for some new contenders to step up. ISU and Okla St will continue to be tough, though.

Our offense lacked big play ability last year; taking it to the house from long distance. Thomas got caught a lot and doesn’t have an extra gear, Irving does. Will be more useful going forward.
The thing that worries me about Ky leaving is that I'm not sure what we'll get out of Mo and Potts.

If Potts was 100% healthy, I'd be less concerned. I think Potts and Ky are similar.

I don't love the idea of Bucky being our every down back. I kind of like him how the Saints used Kamara (fewer carries, variety of touches, etc.). I just think he is SO explosive with fresh legs that I hope that is still his role.

Kansas last year got rid of Les Miles and hired the head coach from Buffalo, who had done some pretty nice things there. He had coached at Wisconsin-Whitewater for some years as well, which is a DIII natty contender usually every year.

Conf losing Texas and OU, might make some room for some new contenders to step up. ISU and Okla St will continue to be tough, though.
Leopold was a great hire for them. I agree with you that Kansas is a program that should take a step toward mediocrity (maybe like our Jerry Kill).

For Ky, Kansas isn't an ideal fit either. They had a really productive RB (Freshman) and they will likely be losing in a lot of games. Their RB last year had fewer carries than Ky Thomas and he wasn't splitting carries.

I'll die on this hill because it would impossible for anyone to prove but I think Ky would have gotten more carries for the Gophers next year than he will with Kansas.

Top Bottom