Ky Thomas enters portal

It is just so out of character for you to be pessimistic about anything....

There will be new faces along the O-line next year and it may well take them some time to gel. But the new faces are not young inexperienced guys. They are guys who have been in college for a while, growing and developing. If we were turning to a bunch of Freshman that would be really concerning, but that is not the case. Crazy thought, maybe give them a chance to show what they can do before making the assumption that it is going to be a disaster.

Players graduate and move on all the time. Good programs have the next guys ready to go for when that time comes. If the OL coach has been doing his job (and there is no reason to believe he hasn't) than he will have the next wave of lineman ready to go for next year.
Pretty much every year a position unit or two will suffer heavy losses. This happens to every team. The o-line will be a challenge, but good teams don't fall apart every time a position group loses players.

Nobody likes receiving honest criticism. It has happened to me several times throughout my career, but, in each case, there was truth to what was being said. Most of the time the messenger is not doing it out of malice. They are observing a blind spot and care enough to let you know about it. I get being mad and maybe embarassed, but a person really has two choices. Treat it as an opportunity to improve and learn and grow from it, or, sulk and take your toys and go home.
Example of what to do

Minnesota is going from the most experienced offensive line in the B1G to the least. I doubt that it's going to go smoothly.
I don't see how that is possible.

JMS has played A LOT of football. He has played in every single game since his FR season, starting the majority of them.

Ruschmeyer started every single game in 2020 and played a TON last year (also started half the games).

Boe has played a ton of football for us and started a number of games.

Carroll played in every single game at Notre Dame last year.

I'm not minimizing the guys we lost, we lost good football players. But we are returning quite a bit of experience across the OL next year.

Has anyone extrapolated Kys stats as a full time starter last season?
He was 10th in the Big 10 in rushing attempts last year. He was sort of a full-time RB in terms of workload. It's complicated to really define what that means anymore.

If you assume he gets another 30 carries last year (which would put him at 4th most carries in the Big 10).

196 carries 980 yards 7 TDs

If he got the same number of carries as Kenneth Walker (263)

263 carries 1320 yards 9.5 TD

Obviously, Kenneth Walker number of carries does bring another set of potential issues (higher likelihood of injury, less fresh legs, etc.).

I don't see how that is possible.

JMS has played A LOT of football. He has played in every single game since his FR season, starting the majority of them.

Ruschmeyer started every single game in 2020 and played a TON last year (also started half the games).

Boe has played a ton of football for us and started a number of games.

Carroll played in every single game at Notre Dame last year.

I'm not minimizing the guys we lost, we lost good football players. But we are returning quite a bit of experience across the OL next year.
Shaw was a multi year starter at his old school as well.

Looks like Ky and his father have already met with Kansas coaches.

I think Clark and Annexstad were told or can see that Athan is the next man up with Kramer seeing the field.
Clark knew he was buried. ZA would’ve been the number 2 again next year. But he wants his shot at NFL and starting two years somewhere else would give him that opportunity.

The transfer portal is ridiculous, but we have to live with it. Thomas was a good player, not great. In fact, none of our running backs, even Mo, are great. We have had a lot of good to really good backs since Mason, but I would love to get a home run hitter like Maroney again, or a back like Barber. Those two were great talents and backs. Going way back Darrell Thompson was a home run hitter who ran just as hard as Barber. Chris Darkins was another great back who was getting Heisman talk, although never realistic with the team not being any good.

People throw around great back too easily. Mo is really, really good who has taken advantage of the system he is in. I put him in with Thomas Hamner, David Cobb, Rodney Smith, etc - maybe at the top of that list, but a notch below Thompson, Maroney, Barber III, Barber Jr, and Darkins. Mo is probably closest to Darkins, who was drafted in 4th round - that is probably as high as Mo could have hoped to be drafted with his size and lack of speed. All the others were first round except Barber III who was round four and obviously showed by his career should have been higher.

All that said, I hope Mo returns to the player he was before the injury and gets a shot at the league. He would have the potential to have a career like Barber, although he is a step slower.

The transfer portal is ridiculous, but we have to live with it. Thomas was a good player, not great. In fact, none of our running backs, even Mo, are great. We have had a lot of good to really good backs since Mason, but I would love to get a home run hitter like Maroney again, or a back like Barber. Those two were great talents and backs. Going way back Darrell Thompson was a home run hitter who ran just as hard as Barber. Chris Darkins was another great back who was getting Heisman talk, although never realistic with the team not being any good.

People throw around great back too easily. Mo is really, really good who has taken advantage of the system he is in. I put him in with Thomas Hamner, David Cobb, Rodney Smith, etc - maybe at the top of that list, but a notch below Thompson, Maroney, Barber III, Barber Jr, and Darkins. Mo is probably closest to Darkins, who was drafted in 4th round - that is probably as high as Mo could have hoped to be drafted with his size and lack of speed. All the others were first round except Barber III who was round four and obviously showed by his career should have been higher.

All that said, I hope Mo returns to the player he was before the injury and gets a shot at the league. He would have the potential to have a career like Barber, although he is a step slower.
Mo and Barber have very similar stats. I don't think that Fleck's system is any more advantageous for RBs than Mason's system.

I think Clark and Annexstad were told or can see that Athan is the next man up with Kramer seeing the field.
I think Clark and Annezstad just want to play somewhere and compete. ZA is going into this 5th year of college. He may look at it like it's now or never. Clark was a Rivals 4-Star out of high school and is now going into his 4th year of college. You have to think he's wanting to play at just about any cost.
Perhaps ZA became frustrated he didn't see any meaningful game minutes where a change of pace would have at the very least, offered some real game experience to a backup, and at best could have sparked enough of a resurgence to maybe snatch a win from an otherwise disappointing game(s).

Last edited:

Huh? Well first of all, not all five. JMS is back at center.

Axel Ruschmeyer and Nate Boe are possibly likely (barring another high level transfer) starters at guards, and have played a bunch of football for us. They'll be pushed by Shaw and Cooper, too. STrib today was saying Lewis as a Guard, so not sure if he made that move.

Carroll now, Guedet, and a trio of redshirt sophmores (third year guys in 2022), as well as possibly redshirt freshmen (in 2022) will compete for the tackle spots.

They won't be 100% as good as the 2021 line, of course, but I don't think it at all unreasonable that they could be something like 85-90% as good?
Based on Mo's workload in 2020 (which was a crazy amount for a college RB, at 28.7 carries a game), Thomas' stats would extrapolate out over 13 games to: 373 carries, 1,866 yards, 13 TD. At a slightly more reasonable 25 carries/game, it would be 1,625 yards/11 TD.

In total, the Gophers RB (not including Morgan or Kramer) totaled 2,461 yards in 2021. In 2019 under KC, the RB's had a total of 2,304 yards, which would leave on average 576 yards for each of the 4 backs (Mo, Potts, Bucky, Thomas, and giving zero yards to Williams, LeCaptain, Jelen, and the freshmen).
Thank you!

I have zero insight, but at the beginning of the year, I kept wondering where Ky was. It's as if he was forgotten or not even considered. Even after the first couple of injuries, Bucky got into games and Ky was no where to be seen. I honestly think that caused a little resentment in Ky, probably not buying 100% into Fleck anymore. And now knowing these injured guys are coming back, he would just rather go elsewhere, where he hopes to be the feature back.
It was weird how, until we were down multiple guys, it was one guy carries the load.

I think Clark and Annezstad just want to play somewhere and compete. ZA is going into this 5th year of college. He may look at it like it's now or never. Clark was a Rivals 4-Star out of high school and is now going into his 4th year of college. You have to think he's wanting to play at just about any cost.
Perhaps ZA became frustrated he didn't see any meaningful game minutes where a change of pace would have at the very least, offered some real game experience to a backup, and at best could have sparked enough of a resurgence to maybe snatch a win from an otherwise disappointing game(s).

Well then they might want to sign on somewhere soon because Spring Ball aint that far away...

Yes I know he was in HS but he wasnt even on the RB depth chart prior to all the injuries.
I understand that, too, but switching positions isn't unprecedented. With Thomas leaving and two others maybe returning from serious injuries, I thought LeC might see some carries.

You, ok? You've been kind of snipping away.
I'm solid, thank you. That is kind of you to ask.

There are so many assumptions flying around I just want to vet what is actual versus what is bold opinion. The poster I responded to said "they better hurry up and sign", so I ask how does he know they haven't? The information I've been following says otherwise, or very close to otherwise. But, maybe my info is wrong or leading me down the wrong path and if so, his info might help.

I'm solid, thank you. That is kind of you to ask.

There are so many assumptions flying around I just want to vet what is actual versus what is bold opinion. The poster I responded to said "they better hurry up and sign", so I ask how does he know they haven't? The information I've been following says otherwise, or very close to otherwise. But, maybe my info is wrong or leading me down the wrong path and if so, his info might help.
What does your information say?

I'd rank coaching, weight training, and practice higher.
That's all of them? Coaching, Weight Training, practice, and game time? How does coaching differ from practicing?

Do you suppose Ky just developed overnight once Trey got injured and that's why he was ready to go? Or perhaps he just needed the right opportunity to show it? Did Fleck really need to run Mo 25+ times a game with the talented duo of Ky and Bucky on the bench? It's anyone's guess I suppose.

Does it always upset you when someone disagrees with how Fleck does things?

What does your information say?
I mentioned it the other day . ZA appears to be a hard lean to Illinois State. Now, BA may very well join him. It would make for a good story.

Last edited:

Top Bottom