Ky Thomas enters portal

Irritated that Ky Thomas is leaving us! I had a hunch when Trey Potts announced his return. Ky should’ve seen that he could’ve beat Potts in playing time over Potts. Who knows how good or effective Ibrahim will be with his healing. Ky would’ve been 2nd in line in my opinion if not starting. Ky is so much better than Potts.

Hopefully Bucko won’t leave either.

Irritated that Ky Thomas is leaving us! I had a hunch when Trey Potts announced his return. Ky should’ve seen that he could’ve beat Potts in playing time over Potts. Who knows how good or effective Ibrahim will be with his healing. Ky would’ve been 2nd in line in my opinion if not starting. Ky is so much better than Potts.

Hopefully Bucko won’t leave either.

I guess you didn't watch Trey much this year? He was leading the conference in rushing when he went down. How can you make some hyperbolic statement saying "Ky is so much better than Potts"? 😆

Head coaches must worry about their assistant coaches leaving too on top of recruiting. I wonder how many head coaches will age ten years?

It is like hard drinkers. They end up looking older than their age.
It’s why a lot of high school coaches/teachers never pursue college coaching even though the upside pay is better

Has to be nerve wracking though.
For sure. But college coaches have a ton of confidence in themselves. If they didn’t, they wouldn’t have been able to get the job

Really sucks to lose him. Like others have said, no idea how Potts and Mo will come back, and even so, Mo only has a year. Hard to believe he wouldn’t have gotten carries this year, or next at the latest.

Was the guy I was most excited about in a long time coming out of high school, and looked like he was gonna live up to every bit of hype. Will miss him.

Allegedly Sanford has already offered. Would be a good fit if they know and like each other. I just hope we beat Colorado

Wild speculation:

this must mean that Potts is planning a full return, and that Fleck has indicated he will get his job as #2 behind Mo back, thus that KT and Irving will be fighting for #3?

If it was just Mo coming back, I would think KT would be the solid #2 and get plenty of carries in the same way that Irving did this year?

Ky doesn't officially say it, but I assume based on this tweet that his first portal offer is from Mike Sanford and the Colorado Buffaloes.

Wild speculation:

this must mean that Potts is planning a full return, and that Fleck has indicated he will get his job as #2 behind Mo back, thus that KT and Irving will be fighting for #3?

If it was just Mo coming back, I would think KT would be the solid #2 and get plenty of carries in the same way that Irving did this year?
PJ isn't dumb enough to start telling 5 or 6 players where they rank on the depth chart months before he has to decide, especially with 3 of them coming off of significant injuries.

I'm kind of shocked by this one. I feel he would have been our #1 eventually.

He is going to run wild for someone.

PJ isn't dumb enough to start telling 5 or 6 players where they rank on the depth chart months before he has to decide, especially with 3 of them coming off of significant injuries.
I assume you agree that KT would not leave if he thought he would retain being the starting RB, and that we all think Mo will be the starter.

Do you think KT would leave simply because he would have to drop down to #2 for one year?

That could be the truth. I have no inside knowledge. But seems more of stretch to me.

No but he is probably honest enough to get him a true evaluation of where he likely is if 1 guy comes back, 2, or more

Ky doesn't officially say it, but I assume based on this tweet that his first portal offer is from Mike Sanford and the Colorado Buffaloes.

I was just coming to post this.. I think that's a great landing spot.. although don't that have a stud rb... Or who was supposed to be a stud.. 4* recruit in the last yr or 2

Wouldn’t doubt that Sanford told Ky he would be the no. 1 back and featured in a run-heavy offense. Probably a fair selling point, too, given CO’s anemic offense. It needs a transfusion of talent.

Exactly. Fleck isn't telling a stud RB that he is 4th. The players figure it out on their own and decide if the on field and off field situation still fits them.

Colorado may be a great landing spot for a running back. Not so much for quarterbacks.

Strange given Mo, Bryce and Potts coming off injury and not sure their level of contributions next year with plenty of unknowns.

He finished 2021 leading the team in carries (166), rushing yards (824), and rushing touchdowns (6). No running back on the roster saw more snaps than Thomas by season's end.

This really sucks. We are losing 1/2 of the Barber/Maroney tandem with this news!

Transfer portal permissiveness makes a mockery of team loyalty, of institutional loyalty, and creates greedy chaos, which will only get worse. It is part of the larger issue of the individual being more important than the group, the community, which runs through our society. It will become the dominant recruiting tool if not stopped.
Kinda like the coaches leaving

Too bad. But understand. If everyone is healthy next year he was probably looking at 100 carries or so

It's also possible, of course, that this doesn't have anything to do with his promised or perceived spot on the depth chart or the health of the other guys in the room. Maybe he wants to play closer to home (or farther from home, or where there's a beach, or where he can play for national titles). Maybe he wants to play in a different style of offense or he doesn't like Minnesota, the school or the coaches. Maybe he's played well enough here that he has options now that he didn't have coming out of high school. It could be any of these, alone or in concert, or something else altogether. He's an accomplished enough player that he will have a lot of offers and we may be able to glean more about his reasoning when we see where he ends up.

It's also possible, of course, that this doesn't have anything to do with his promised or perceived spot on the depth chart or the health of the other guys in the room. Maybe he wants to play closer to home (or farther from home, or where there's a beach, or where he can play for national titles). Maybe he wants to play in a different style of offense or he doesn't like Minnesota, the school or the coaches. Maybe he's played well enough here that he has options now that he didn't have coming out of high school. It could be any of these, alone or in concert, or something else altogether. He's an accomplished enough player that he will have a lot of offers and we may be able to glean more about his reasoning when we see where he ends up.
Maybe his favorite coach left the program

I guess Colorado is closer to home for him. Pretty terrible offense to want to join though. Also I doubt they would stop giving Broussard a lot of touches.

If Mo and Trey aren’t full speed next year—big injuries can change things—sure hope Bryce is coming back. If Ky wants to be the feature back somewhere NOW, I get it. But he is leaving a very good, run-oriented offense with a very competent and supportive coaching staff. Good luck to him, I guess.

Yeah, chances are he doesn't want to be stuck in what looks like a crowded backfield albeit one with some big question marks in it in regards to some injured guys that are coming back.

I kind of chuckle at some takes in here acting like Fleck has already laid out the depth chart for next year and was telling Ky he would be the #4 guy or something stupid like that which led to the transfer. There is no way that was the case.

Shame to see him go but it is the way of the world now in college football.

I guess you didn't watch Trey much this year? He was leading the conference in rushing when he went down. How can you make some hyperbolic statement saying "Ky is so much better than Potts"? 😆
Yeah, I don't get that at all. Mo was a potential All American and Potts looked really good up till he got hurt. I get that Ky looked like a talented back and I hate to see him go too....but there are some people forgetting what Mo and Potts are capable if they are healthy. And my guess is that Ky at least thinks they are going to be in the mix next year, because it would seem unlikely for him to give up a sure fire #1 spot in a run heavy offense.

3rd, behind Mo and Potts.

If not, why would he transfer? Do you think being #2 to Mo is enough to do it?
Who knows? I think it's safe to say it was a weird choice for him IF it was driven by PT. He was in-line for a ton of playing time next season.

As far as why else?
Maybe he wants to play closer to home.
Maybe his GF goes to Iowa State and he wants to get closer to her.
Maybe his GF goes to the U and he wants to get away from her.
Maybe he genuinely hates the cold.
Maybe he wanted to go somewhere where he wouldn't have to split any carries so that he could declare for the draft after next season (joining the NFL with fresh legs and not a lot of miles on the tires).

In short, if it's not depth chart related, it'd be really hard to guess.

Yeah, I don't get that at all. Mo was a potential All American and Potts looked really good up till he got hurt. I get that Ky looked like a talented back and I hate to see him go too....but there are some people forgetting what Mo and Potts are capable if they are healthy. And my guess is that Ky at least thinks they are going to be in the mix next year, because it would seem unlikely for him to give up a sure fire #1 spot in a run heavy offense.
I think the people are questioning this part.

If I put the over/under at 200 carries, would you bet the over or under on the total number of carries that Potts and Mo make for the Gophers for the rest of their career (combined)?

Top Bottom