Koi Perich Commits to Gophers!!!!!!!!!

Koi could be for us what Cooper DeJean is for Iowa. Extremely talented small town local kid. Hoping he sticks with his commitment and we get to see him at the U of M in the very near future.
Koi could be Cooper DeJean here, or Antoine Winfield or Tyler Nubin+. He'll get run from day 1 here, have lots of TV exposure, and graduate both a Minnesota legend and high round draft pick. It's good to be king. Why go to a smog basin 2000 miles away to be a commoner?

and graduate both a Minnesota legend and high round draft pick. It's good to be king. Why go to a smog basin 2000 miles away to be a commoner?
Ok Sid.

How about because boosters at another program can and very well might wave six figures in front of him? The kid should take the money.

Ok Sid.

How about because boosters at another program can and very well might wave six figures in front of him? The kid should take the money.
There is absolutely nothing for schools that buy players to be proud of. In fact, they should be ashamed of themselves. Even if they go undefeated.

Staring at a television...or going to watch paid 'college' players and cheering as if they have any idea I exist...is nonsensical.

I would never stoop so low as to contribute to that. If it means that my team is only competitive against other non-paying schools, so be it. At least I have my dignity and common-sense.

There is absolutely nothing for schools that buy players to be proud of. In fact, they should be ashamed of themselves. Even if they go undefeated.

Staring at a television...or going to watch paid 'college' players and cheering as if they have any idea I exist...is nonsensical.

I would never stoop so low as to contribute to that. If it means that my team is only competitive against other non-paying schools, so be it. At least I have my dignity and common-sense.
Dignity. :ROFLMAO:

Major college football and basketball have been nothing but big money entertainment for years. It's a dirty business and always has been. If you want to win, you best play the game with the big boys.

As I've pointed out before, people deify the late John Wooden, but he was as dirty as anyone - he had a bag man too.

None of the programs that he holds offers from is likely to have offered him significant cash (excuse me, "NIL" deals) outside of Florida State.

While USC may have the potential to offer a small package, they just fired their DC and their defense has been the laughing stock of CFB for the past few seasons. I don't see them as a threat.

However, as soon as programs like Miami, Oregon, Texas, TAMU, other major SEC schools jump in then you'll know he's getting a bag offered to him upwards of six figures.

Ohio State certainly isn't choosing to pay up for someone like Perich. They've notoriously had their own struggles adjusting to the new NIL era and have lost guys who are NIL focused to the likes of above the programs. They choose to spend their limited NIL reserve on 5-star guys. If they win the recruitment it's simply because they are a helmet school who has more national success. Same goes with Penn State and Michigan.

Minnesota has to keep selling him the success they've had in the past few years with getting safeties to the NFL. Not sure you can sell him on being a nationally competitive program. The track record just isn't there outside of 2019.

Dignity. :ROFLMAO:

Major college football and basketball have been nothing but big money entertainment for years. It's a dirty business and always has been. If you want to win, you best play the game with the big boys.

As I've pointed out before, people deify the late John Wooden, but he was as dirty as anyone - he had a bag man too.
Correct. To quote Deep Throat in “All the President’s Men”, just follow the money.

He can start day 1 next year if he's as good as advertised. He can start day 1 in front of his family.

What is there to think about?

While USC may have the potential to offer a small package, they just fired their DC and their defense has been the laughing stock of CFB for the past few seasons. I don't see them as a threat.
Not to be disagreeable, but I'd think the opposite. They know their defense is holding them back from competing for a championship. Wouldn't they want to throw money around like crazy in hopes a few of the players turn out?

I'll agree with what you said about tOSU, for example. They don't need to (have boosters) pay a guy like Perich. But USC is desperate and has the means...that's a dangerous combination in this situation.

He can start day 1 next year if he's as good as advertised. He can start day 1 in front of his family.

What is there to think about?
I personally would rather be on a team competing for things versus what the Gophers will be doing the next 4 years. Plus he probably realizes he can transfer here if it doesn't work out elsewhere.

it all comes down to this: what does the athlete want? what does the athlete's family want?

If Perich - or any Gopher recruit - chooses to go to MN, that is their choice. If they choose to go elsewhere, that is also their choice.

Money may be part of the equation - but wanting to play for a conference title or a national title may also be part of the equation. wanting to be featured on marquee national TV games may be part of the equation. just wanting to win may be part of the equation.

It's never been easy for schools like MN to land top-flight talent. add NIL and the portal, and it's only become more difficult.

you can celebrate the players who choose to go to MN, or you can complain about the ones that choose to go elsewhere. they have a choice - you have a choice.

The more and more I see, I think he leaves, but who knows at this point.
Yeah slim chance this kid stays home with offers out there from Ohio State, USC, Florida State and Michigan. Hope I'm wrong but I sure wouldn't blame the kid.

He’s so gone. How can you blame him with PJ Fraud running a caveman offense scheme.

I dunno, each passing day that he doesn't decommit, the more confident I am that he is gonna stay with the Gophers.

There's still a long way to go until December 20th, and obviously if he decides not to sign during the early signing period that would make me more worried, but I also don't think he'd sit on these offers from big schools for very long if he was going to switch, you know?

I dunno, each passing day that he doesn't decommit, the more confident I am that he is gonna stay with the Gophers.

There's still a long way to go until December 20th, and obviously if he decides not to sign during the early signing period that would make me more worried, but I also don't think he'd sit on these offers from big schools for very long if he was going to switch, you know?
Good points and the big schools aren’t sitting in him either.

Last edited:

another thought - we're all human. we like attention. for a 17-yr old kid from Esko, MN - population of just over 2,000 - it's got to be pretty exciting to have schools like Ohio State and USC showing interest in you.

and on social media, it seems to be some type of status symbol to tweet out how many offers you have received.

so I absolutely do not blame Perich or any recruit for taking visits or receiving offers.

it's up to Fleck and the Gophers to sell the recruits on MN. If they can't close the sale, that's on them - not on the recruits.

Posting his offers can also raise his profile for others to come to MN and also get us more excited about the player we are getting. I don't fault any player for posting the high profile offers they get. We're getting 7 of the to 10 composite MN kids, #1 from WI, #7 from IA. That's a good get for the area.

He’s so gone. How can you blame him with PJ Fraud running a caveman offense scheme.
We currently have 12 defensive players in the NFL. If his goal is to get to the NFL, he may be better suited playing here. He will get playing time easier/sooner and we have shown we can produce NFL-quality talent.

Maybe because he plays on defense.....not offense?
Doesn’t matter. The Gophers are only going to get worse next season when USC, UCLA, Washington and Oregon come on board. Wait until the season is over and guys start going into portal. No way he’s staying when he can go to a powerhouse that gets him seen. He won’t start right away at those schools and most likely not at Minnesota either. These kids are competitive. Why would they want to lose at Minnesota? He’s gone. Look at his Twitter profile. No mention of Gophers anywhere

Any great athlete who is competitive wants to win. There’s zero incentive to stay home when those other schools are in top 5 every year while the Gophers are playing to get to the Baked Potato Bowl. It’s the cold hard truth.

another thought - we're all human. we like attention. for a 17-yr old kid from Esko, MN - population of just over 2,000 - it's got to be pretty exciting to have schools like Ohio State and USC showing interest in you.

and on social media, it seems to be some type of status symbol to tweet out how many offers you have received.

so I absolutely do not blame Perich or any recruit for taking visits or receiving offers.

it's up to Fleck and the Gophers to sell the recruits on MN. If they can't close the sale, that's on them - not on the recruits.
I’m done with Fleck but selling the Gophers to a recruit over the blue chip schools is impossible. The playing field for the haves and have nots will never ever be equal.

We currently have 12 defensive players in the NFL. If his goal is to get to the NFL, he may be better suited playing here. He will get playing time easier/sooner and we have shown we can produce NFL-quality talent.
We also play in a run heavy conference which is adding some big time aerial threat programs next year, he can show how well he plays both the run and the pass against some of the best in the country while not having to share time or reps from the get go.

Top Bottom