Koi Perich Commits to Gophers!!!!!!!!!

Well hopefully your source is correct.....but this is no longer a Koi Perich thread anyway.....this thread has taken on a life of its own now....there is no stopping it :)
Yes, another one going off the rails

Well, Caleb Williams has an advertising deal with Wendys, just like Bryce Young did last year with Dr. Pepper. Albeit big name brands, those are both 100% in the spirit of what NIL was intended.

Isn't Deion's kid in the KFC ad with him? And wasn't LeBron's kid in an ad with his dad? Those are legit as well.
I wonder how much those commercial deals have anything to do with what school they attend. I think the kids making big money are because they are super talented and would make it anywhere.

No, but realistically, that's a school that historically has a lot of booster money floating around and making its way into peoples' pockets. It's pretty hard to imagine that wouldn't be the case.
I doubt they are paying every 4/5 star kid hundreds of thousands though. I would hope we could be competitive if we only have to pony up for a handful vs an entire roster.

I doubt they are paying every 4/5 star kid hundreds of thousands though. I would hope we could be competitive if we only have to pony up for a handful vs an entire roster.
Most programs are not, no. The biggest numbers I've heard are Texas A&M, Oregon and Miami.
I think you'll see some of the other Texas schools get up there too. And the one guy who paid the tuition for all the walk ons at BYU. (though BYU tuition is really cheap).

As we've discussed, you'll see more of an effect in basketball because of the small roster size.

Shama chimes in:

Esko safety Koi Perich, the Gophers’ highest ranked 2024 recruit from the state, received a scholarship offer from USC last week. He is scheduled to attend the Minnesota-Michigan game Saturday night in Minneapolis, a recruiting authority told Sports Headliners.

Go Gophers!!

This post is astonishing. We really don't live in the same world.

For most Americans $25,000 is life-changing money, let alone $100,000. 25K allows them to catch up on mortgage payments, take their family on a vacation, and buy their college-bound kid a good used car.

There's a disconnect between classes in the US. I see it when my kids interact with kids who are wealthier or poorer than they are. The kids just don't get each other, and even more so the parents.

It's called class separatism, and yes it's a big thing. The poster who thinks 300k isn't worth the time is a prime example. That is serious money for the vast majority of college kids. And yes, life changing if invested properly, like a house.

It's called class separatism, and yes it's a big thing. The poster who thinks 300k isn't worth the time is a prime example. That is serious money for the vast majority of college kids. And yes, life changing if invested properly, like a house.
or 1/4th of a house here in Cali...

300K is life changing money to a college kid (and most of the US population).

I was absolutely dead broke at 22 working my way through school (working 30-40 hours per week and going to law school) while living in a crappy apartment. During his last year, my grandpa wanted to give all of his money away and gave each of us grandkids $8,000. For me, at that time, it was life altering money. It literally bought me another day of the week to focus on my studies that otherwise would have been spent working.

Most programs are not, no. The biggest numbers I've heard are Texas A&M, Oregon and Miami.
I think you'll see some of the other Texas schools get up there too. And the one guy who paid the tuition for all the walk ons at BYU. (though BYU tuition is really cheap).

As we've discussed, you'll see more of an effect in basketball because of the small roster size.
If you are Mormon. If not the price goes way up.

Grow up in … [checks notes] Esko, Minnesota your whole life.

And you expect this kid to turn down LA and all the money, glory, and .. ahem “trappings” (think of another word that starts with P) that come with that, to instead go to ….. Minneapolis, Minnesota.

You guys aren’t real

And you expect this kid to turn down LA and all the money, glory, and .. ahem “trappings” (think of another word that starts with P) that come with that, to instead go to ….. Minneapolis, Minnesota.

You guys aren’t real
I'm not sure about this. I have no data to back this up, but I feel like we get a higher percentage of kids from outstate Minnesota that we want than those in the metro area. And I think it's because many outstate kids can come to the Twin Cities and feel like they're getting away from home and going to the big city. Those in the metro don't feel like they're getting away. Just a feeling.

Are the lights brighter in LA? Most definitely. But I don't think a kid from Esko needs to go to LA to feel like they're hitting it big. Of course, this doesn't factor in money, playing for championships, etc.

"Esko! Esko! ... Let's Really Go!" One of their basketball cheers that kinda fits here in helping to coax him to stay a Gopher. (You probably gotta say it out loud to get the full effect) :)

I'm not sure about this. I have no data to back this up, but I feel like we get a higher percentage of kids from outstate Minnesota that we want than those in the metro area. And I think it's because many outstate kids can come to the Twin Cities and feel like they're getting away from home and going to the big city. Those in the metro don't feel like they're getting away. Just a feeling.

Are the lights brighter in LA? Most definitely. But I don't think a kid from Esko needs to go to LA to feel like they're hitting it big. Of course, this doesn't factor in money, playing for championships, etc.
Beat me too it.....Esko is a town of like 2,500 people. There is no guarantee that someone from a small town like that is going to want to travel halfway across the country to play in a major metropolitan area, thousands of miles from his family and friends.

Don't know the kid, maybe he will be drawn to all that....but there is no guarantee that he will go to the highest bidder, not all players are wired that way.

You guys aren’t real
That's true - as we all know, every small town person leaves that place and moves as far away as they can, as soon as they get the chance.

How you can be so confident of something where you have zero knowledge or inside information, I will never understand.

This post is astonishing. We really don't live in the same world.

For most Americans $25,000 is life-changing money, let alone $100,000. 25K allows them to catch up on mortgage payments, take their family on a vacation, and buy their college-bound kid a good used car.

There's a disconnect between classes in the US. I see it when my kids interact with kids who are wealthier or poorer than they are. The kids just don't get each other, and even more so the parents.

Yup - 1000%

First gen kid from a broken inner city home here... 100K is absolutely life changing money. Anyone that says otherwise comes from a different world than me. A huge swath of America is two paychecks away from serious trouble.

Wouldn’t you at least give it a shot at USC for a year or two, if it’s a commutable bona fide offer with likely six figure NIL? There’s always the transfer portal if it doesn’t work out. Might not be to the Goohers but certainly somewhere closer to home would have him, wild guess.

If he was my nephew and I was anything over than a Gopher fan, that’s what I’d be telling him.

Fair point that some people all the glitz and glam might be a turnoff. Sure

Wouldn’t you at least give it a shot at USC for a year or two, if it’s a commutable bona fide offer with likely six figure NIL? There’s always the transfer portal if it doesn’t work out. Might not be to the Goohers but certainly somewhere closer to home would have him, wild guess.

If he was my nephew and I was anything over than a Gopher fan, that’s what I’d be telling him.

Fair point that some people all the glitz and glam might be a turnoff. Sure
Or ya know he just wants to play in front of mom and dad and not make them spend 2k every week to come watch him play knowing he is also getting some NIL here. There’s also much to be said for a possible culture shock going to USC coming from rural MN (if you didn’t grow up there, it’s hard to realize/understand)

C'mon Gopherholers. Destroy your liver, we need a football player.
giphy.gif

Top Bottom