Kill still bitter on Fleck “As for my personal feelings I’m not taking him to dinner. I’ll tell you that.”; not sure if they’ll be a pregame handshake

BleedGopher

Reaction score
Per Shooter:

“I made that statement when Tracy got fired,” Kill told the Pioneer Press last week from Las Cruces, N.M.

“Yeah, I had hard feelings over that. I think anybody would. It’d be like your best friend getting fired. How you going to feel about that? I’m a very loyal person — he got fired when he was 9-4. Nobody in college football understands that move when a guy’s 9-4 and gets fired.”

“My life’s never been the same since I left, not at all,” he said. “But it was out of strong loyalty for someone who worked for me for 23 years.”

“(Claeys) never recovered from that, never has, never will,” Kill said. “Mentally, when something like that happens to you, sometimes you can move on. He’s done that. He’s raising cattle and doing all kinds of stuff. He’s traveled and looked at other programs, stayed (in football) that way. But sometimes stuff happens that you don’t understand.

“The treatment of Tracy was terrible, and the way it was handled was terrible. That’s what I’m totally ticked off about.”

Kill, now 60, said he’s grown older and wiser.Of Fleck’s performance at Minnesota (35-23 entering his sixth season), Kill said, “I’ll give him credit. The guy took the job and continued to work at the job to where it got better and better and better. He’s done a great job of recruiting — he’s a good recruiter. I have no problem with what he’s done — he’s done a good job and has continued to take it where it needs to go. I’m not going to knock him down for what he’s done.

“As for my personal feelings, I’m not taking him to dinner. I’ll tell you that.”

“McKinley’s probably a really good guy, but he wasn’t too smart to do this,” Kill said. “We’re going to play Saturday night (against Nevada) here, then in four days we’re going to play a Big Ten team (Minnesota) on Thursday night there. That’s not smart.”

Kill knows what he’ll be up against when his Aggies come to Minneapolis.

“Here’s the thing we’ve got to get out of that game: We’ve got to get out without getting physically beat up and not having any players left,” he said. “I care about our players staying healthy.”

It’s unclear whether there will be a pregame handshake between Kill and Fleck.

“I don’t know what I’ll do,” Kill said. “I’ll see what he does.”

Go Gophers!!

"Nobody in football understands that"

Tracy understood why he was fired. He told his players that he was going to get fired if they "went on strike." They "went on strike" anyway, and he got fired. Everybody and their mother knew what was going to happen.

"He never recovered from that. ... He's raising cattle and doing all kinds of stuff"

Tracy said, in an interview, long before getting fired, that his lifelong dream was to open a bar in his hometown. He got another opportunity to coach at WSU, got canned by Mike Leach after giving up nearly 70 points to a bad UCLA team, and then went back to his hometown and opened that bar. His life wasn't derailed because he got fired from Minnesota. He's doing exactly what he wanted to do.

"I'm not going to shake his hand"

Coach Fleck, in his first presser at Minnesota said, "I'm a Kill guy." Nobody wanted to hear that, but he said it anyway. Kill can whine about him all he wants, but he was 100% loyal to Kill from his first interview at Minnesota.

tldr; Fleck is the good guy here. Kill is twisting things to fit a pointless grudge.

Someone asked on twitter, does he hold the same grudge against Claeys for firing Limegrover? And Fleck isn’t responsible for firing Claeys, beyond maybe being a sufficiently appealing and attainable coaching candidate that the athletic department decided it was worth it to move on from Claeys to bring Fleck in.

Said it before and will say it again, I liked Kill when he was our coach, but his immaturity since has soured me against him. On a personal level, I played his team twice when we were both in college. The ass whoppings Bethany placed on Soutwestern get sweeter every time he opens his mouth

I liked Kill. I admired him for what all he had to go thru. Now, he’s just a bitter embarrassment of an individual. I would say I feel pity for him, but it’s hard to when he just doesn’t understand why Clayes was let go and continues to spew his venom. It’s just so unnecessary. I’d like PJ to hang 70 on them, but he won’t do it. That’s the difference between he and Kill. PJ will take the high road.

Go Gophers!!

Someone asked on twitter, does he hold the same grudge against Claeys for firing Limegrover? And Fleck isn’t responsible for firing Claeys, beyond maybe being a sufficiently appealing and attainable coaching candidate that the athletic department decided it was worth it to move on from Claeys to bring Fleck in.
That's the thing...Fleck didn't fire Claeys.

Kill is a little child. And if anyone needed proof that he probably wasn’t the long term answer he continues to provide it.

Thanks for your service.

It too bad he is such an attention whore. It makes it impossible for him to fade into the night.

That's the thing...Fleck didn't fire Claeys.
This whole Kill-bashing thing is moronic.

Kill doesn't blame Fleck for Claeys' firing, but he does harbor some resentment for Fleck saying that there was a character deficiency in the previous regime. However, in these quotes he actually praises Fleck as a coach.

He also didn't say, as in someone's previous fabricated quote, that he wouldn't shake Fleck's hand. He said that he didn't know what would happen; he would take his cue from Fleck.

I have never understood the idiotic need some people feel to manufacture a feud where none exists.

Kill doesn't blame Fleck for Claeys' firing, but he does harbor some resentment for Fleck saying that there was a character deficiency in the previous regime. However, in these quotes he actually praises Fleck as a coach.

He also didn't say, as in someone's previous fabricated quote, that he wouldn't shake Fleck's hand. He said that he didn't know what would happen; he would take his cue from Fleck.

I have never understood the idiotic need some people feel to manufacture a feud where none exists.
I guess it's not a feud in the sense that Fleck does not reciprocate.

Prove it. Find it in this article, man. You can't do it, because the worst thing Kill said about Fleck is that he won't be taking Fleck out for lunch.

This community takes non-issues and builds them up, then talks about how infantile and embarrassing Kill's behavior is. Based on what?

Kill publicly trashed PJ, including hinting at things with his first marriage, to a woman he lost a child with. To my knowledge he has not apologized for those comments. Yes PJ talked about changing the culture here, as almost every coach talks about in their introductory press conference- it’s generic fluff coach speak, but in typical Jerry fashion he took it as a personal insult. The guy is an overgrown child and deserves all the criticism he has received and more.

Kill doesn’t really care for PJ. If you can’t see that, your blind to his past comments, but admittedly, Kill’s biggest axe to grind is with the U, not Fleck.

I don’t consider this a feud. PJ is not concerned with Kill, and he shouldn’t be. If I was an Aggie fan or their AD, I’d be concerned about where Kill’s focus is.

Kill doesn’t really care for PJ. If you can’t see that, your blind to his past comments, but admittedly, Kill’s biggest axe to grind is with the U, not Fleck.

I don’t consider this a feud. PJ is not concerned with Kill, and he shouldn’t be. If I was an Aggie fan or their AD, I’d be concerned about where Kill’s focus is.
Yeah, it isn't a feud because all the bitterness and pettiness is coming from one side and one side only. And you are correct, most of his beef is still clearly with the U of M based on his comments in this article.

I got a first hand view of just who Jerry Kill really is and it has been a joy to see other people realize just how full of crap the guy is. He did some good things for the program but his true character has come shining through in how he has carried himself since he "retired".

Yeah, it isn't a feud because all the bitterness and pettiness is coming from one side and one side only. And you are correct, most of his beef is still clearly with the U of M based on his comments in this article.

I got a first hand view of just who Jerry Kill really is and it has been a joy to see other people realize just how full of crap the guy is. He did some good things for the program but his true character has come shining through in how he has carried himself since he "retired".
Oh my gosh, Kill said that Fleck is a good coach but he isn't gonna buy Fleck lunch! How awful! How scandalous! What a hypocritical fake! He's so full of BS!

Oh my gosh, Kill said that Fleck is a good coach but he isn't gonna buy Fleck lunch! How awful! How scandalous! What a hypocritical fake! He's so full of BS!
Are you really trying to pretend this is the only time Kill has talked about Fleck since he "retired"?

You have been around this board, you know what Kill has said and done since "retiring".

Are you really trying to pretend this is the only time Kill has talked about Fleck since he "retired"?

You have been around this board, you know what Kill has said and done since "retiring".
I'm on this board enough to know that most of the criticism here is on the level of gossipy old ladies getting their knickers in a twist over and over, about something that happened years ago.

Top Bottom