Kill still bitter on Fleck “As for my personal feelings I’m not taking him to dinner. I’ll tell you that.”; not sure if they’ll be a pregame handshake

I agree with most of this - Kill looks immature and bitter. However, this goes back a ways and the angst about Kill started as soon as he said anything bad about PJ. For some reason, that has never been allowed around these parts. That is the #1 reason I rarely post on this board anymore. Maybe it has changed, but a couple years ago any negative thoughts toward PJ were basically not allowed. It’s an odd dynamic. My $0.02.
If Kill doesn't like him, that's fine. I don't doubt that he has some good reasons for it. The issue that a lot of people seem to be willing to overlook (or maybe it's not as big of a deal as I think) is that Kill went public and accused him of not caring about his players (zero evidence of this) and hinted at things with his ex-wife, with whom he lost a child - that is out of bounds regardless of what's true or not. Personally I have a hard time getting past that considering he has shown no remorse or hint at an apology for that.

As far as anti-PJ thoughts on this board not being allowed, maybe you're right, I just think a lot of us have seen so many posters, fans, and media members take stupid shots at the guy for things that really don't matter (catchphrases, sprinting down the sidelines, etc.) that it has been exhausting considering he has brought us more success than we've seen in our lifetimes. I think if you read around there has been plenty of criticism about playcalling, hiring of Sanford/Robb Smith, conservative gameplans, use of timeout, etc. that has been allowed without too much backlash. It's the petty stuff that people get annoyed with.

If Kill doesn't like him, that's fine. I don't doubt that he has some good reasons for it. The issue that a lot of people seem to be willing to overlook (or maybe it's not as big of a deal as I think) is that Kill went public and accused him of not caring about his players (zero evidence of this) and hinted at things with his ex-wife, with whom he lost a child - that is out of bounds regardless of what's true or not. Personally I have a hard time getting past that considering he has shown no remorse or hint at an apology for that.

As far as anti-PJ thoughts on this board not being allowed, maybe you're right, I just think a lot of us have seen so many posters, fans, and media members take stupid shots at the guy for things that really don't matter (catchphrases, sprinting down the sidelines, etc.) that it has been exhausting considering he has brought us more success than we've seen in our lifetimes. I think if you read around there has been plenty of criticism about playcalling, hiring of Sanford/Robb Smith, conservative gameplans, use of timeout, etc. that has been allowed without too much backlash. It's the petty stuff that people get annoyed with.
Could be. I haven’t spent much time on this board in a couple years. Things could be far different now than I remember back then 🤷‍♂️

I still like the Killer. I just can't judge him too much. I've never been through the health issues he has had to endure. Also, sticking up for his former assistant is no criminal offense.
He’s a stubborn dude who is going to stand up and stand by what he believes in. He’s also extremely loyal to the staff he assembled. It had to be an extremely difficult time for him. Like Fleck said, Kill is extremely passionate.

Does Kill have flaws when it comes to this area, yes. Did he handle the situation completely wrong, yes. Did he do a shit ton for the program when he was here, yes. Is he bitter, yes.

Hopefully time heals his wounds. I’ve always been a Kill fan and I’ll root for him. I think he does good for everyone, everywhere he goes. Fleck said he still respects him and always will and won’t judge him by how he handled losing his dream job. He understands who Kill is and understands how what transpired at MN affected him. Hopefully someday Kill can understand things from the other side regarding the MN situation and hopefully he can find peace and success in Las Cruces and beyond.

What did Kill “hint at” about Fleck’s ex wife? I would love to hear your extrapolation of “I knew his ex wife”. So when Kill said, “I knew his ex wife” what did Kill mean by that? Because that’s all Kill said and it’s amazing to me how it riles people up.

What did Kill “hint at” about Fleck’s ex wife? I would love to hear your extrapolation of “I knew his ex wife”. So when Kill said, “I knew his ex wife” what did Kill mean by that? Because that’s all Kill said and it’s amazing to me how it riles people up.
I thought he said something like "I knew some things going on with his wife" or something along those lines. I'll try to re-listen. If I'm misremembering then I apologize.

Will be interesting to see if it happens but hopefully after this game we can finally put the Jerry Kill thing to bed (until he takes a job at a school on our schedule next year at least). :)

The program is in a better place now under Fleck than it was under Kill, that really shouldn't be up for debate at this point.

I actually felt like Kill's overall perspective on things maybe shifted some in his post game remarks after the game, almost felt like there was some closure there finally.

I agree with most of this - Kill looks immature and bitter. However, this goes back a ways and the angst about Kill started as soon as he said anything bad about PJ. For some reason, that has never been allowed around these parts. That is the #1 reason I rarely post on this board anymore. Maybe it has changed, but a couple years ago any negative thoughts toward PJ were basically not allowed. It’s an odd dynamic. My $0.02.

Have to believe many head coaches strongly dislike or disdain each other just like many of us have poor regard for colleagues. Sometimes there are legitimate beefs, other times it boils down to jealousy or a combination thereof. Regarding the “PJ doesn’t care about his players”…All coaches have players turn around and say they don’t care about me. Nature of the business. AJ? Kill’s sin here was breaking social mores and trumpeting his disdain for PJ. Gasp. Then, not apologizing. Other coaches clearly don’t like PJ but have checked their fire somewhat (eg guys in adjoining state directly south of MPLS). PJ has been successful at MN, more than his predecessor so we tend to discount anything else. He’s quirky.

What does that even mean? He said he never wanted to come back? He will never change the way he feels about the place? Which is it?

He is a straight up egomaniac
Fleck said he was happy and wasn't leaving WMU, then he did a few days later. Remember his pay cut comment? They all have huge egos. That's a surprise to you?

Fleck said he was happy and wasn't leaving WMU, then he did a few days later. Remember his pay cut comment? They all have huge egos. That's a surprise to you?
Thanks for agreeing with me.

I notice that Fleck said that he wishes Jerry and Rebecca well. I get the opinion perhaps that they are together.

I notice that Fleck said that he wishes Jerry and Rebecca well. I get the opinion perhaps that they are together.
Or...it's some fantastic snarky payback if they aren't.

Kill should be mad at Coyle, not PJ or the rest of the U of M.
He shouldn’t be mad at Coyle for doing his job. He should grow up and not be mad about a millionaire coach not being rehired 7 years ago.

He shouldn’t be mad at Coyle for doing his job. He should grow up and not be mad about a millionaire coach not being rehired 7 years ago.
Yeah, I could re-phrase. IF he was going to be mad at anyone it should be Coyle (PJ had nothing to do with the firing). But as I posted earlier (maybe in a different thread), I don't need to hear millionaire coaches complaining about getting fired. It's part of the deal.

Yeah, I could re-phrase. IF he was going to be mad at anyone it should be Coyle (PJ had nothing to do with the firing). But as I posted earlier (maybe in a different thread), I don't need to hear millionaire coaches complaining about getting fired. It's part of the deal.
Agreed

Top Bottom