Kill Signs Seven-Year Deal to Coach Gophers

GopherLady

Reaction score
Per U of MN Communications...

University of Minnesota director of athletics Joel Maturi announced today that head football coach Jerry Kill has signed a seven-year contract with the Golden Gophers. The contract is effective as of December 2010 and runs through February 2018.

“Rebecca and I, along with our family and staff, are very thankful to the university and certainly to our administration, including director of athletics Joel Maturi and president Eric Kaler,” Kill said. “I’m glad it’s now settled and we can move on from here. We are excited about the future of our program.”

Kill was introduced as the Gophers’ 27th head football coach on Dec. 6, 2010, and had been working under the terms of a Memorandum of Agreement he signed with the University.

Maturi said he was pleased to have his head football coach secured to a long-term deal.

“This contract represents a significant commitment to Coach Kill and our belief in his vision for Gopher football,” Maturi said. “He has proved over the past 10 months what a great fit he is at the University of Minnesota and I have been very impressed with him as both a coach and a person. We are lucky to have him and I am thrilled that we now have an agreement in place that has secured Coach Kill as our head football coach well into the future.”

Coach Kill and the Gophers host Iowa in the annual battle for Floyd of Rosedale on Saturday at TCF Bank Stadium at 2:30 p.m. (CT). The game will be televised by the Big Ten Network.

-UM-

7 years, wasn't it 5 initially? My memory could be failing me though...

I think we all know how flexible those numbers can become.

I'm guessing he's guaranteed substantial money for 4 years.

I have always maintained that the Football Coach at the University of Minnesota needs to be a "tenure job." While 7 years isn't a Tenure number, it is almost as close as one could expect. Ten years would be better and would in essence be the REAL DEAL tenure job... ; 0 )

This is one HUGE job. The administration is NOW stuck with the stadium AND a 7 year coaching contract. It will be up to the University to HAVE to make things work. The pressure is FINALLY where it needs to be: on the administration.

For better or for worse, we now know who the actors will be in this epic drama. The die is cast. Settle in for the LONG RUN. We ALL have to make this work.

prexy k and who ever the AD will be once bjm has been ditched will NEED to jump all over any of the pathetic sports media types in this town when ever they start trying to create hate and discontent re: the head coach.

And the prexy and AD had BETTER insure that a good product is being provided to the paying customers.

Otherwise, the new AD and prexy k will be LONG GONE before our Football Coach. Unless they provide the resourses for the Coach to be competetive in the Big Ten Conference, the University of Minnesota may very well become a "graveyard of failed AD's and failed prexys...

; 0 )

Was seven years the agreement from the start?
Edit: Monty beat me to it. I don't remember it being seven years, and I think that's pretty unusual for a non Saban/Spurrier/Meyer kind of coach in a new position.

Was originally five, they added two years.

Great news, IMO.

Well I guess that settles the argument over the state's most classically handsome resident for the at least 7 years.

This is great news - He will turn this mess around. PATIENCE

It's nice to have one of these done. Now get Tubby's done and then select your gold watch Joel.

Great news!

This program desperately needs stability. It is the key to all of this. I really hope the University does it's best to keep most of our assistants every single year and I cautiously expect Coach Kill to turn this thing around.

The Brew situation was about as volatile as a coaching tenure could be and even Mason, while having offensive stability, our defensive coordinators and coaches were volatile. In both cases, that is partially on the administration not footing the bill for a coordinator.

Well I guess that settles the argument over the state's most classically handsome resident for the at least 7 years.

Go to the State Fair, I see about 30 people an hour that make Coach Kill look like a metrosexual pretty boy.

Nice!!! Congrats Jerry!!

SKI U MAH!

For better or for worse, we now know who the actors will be in this epic drama. The di is cast. Settle in for the LONG RUN. We ALL have to make this work.

; 0 )

The Di
From the 8th century to about the 6th century BCE, they lived in provinces of Gansu, Qinghai, Sichuan and Shaanxi. These were nomadic people that were eventually assimilated into other populations and can be found living today in southeast Gansu and perhaps in parts of Sichuan. Although my wife may have some Di ancestry, I doubt she will play much of a role in the epic drama you refer to here other than going to games with me.;)

Kaler - must have read usmcgopher's post

Authentic Gopher fans are on board with this seven-year deal. A few weeks back, a usmcgopher posted on the qualities of effective leaders.

http://www.forums.gopherhole.com/bo...d-culture-from-a-former-USMC-infantry-officer

usmcgopher provided the most substantive post of the year. Coach Kill is the real deal and anyone who has worked in organizations with effective leadership understand what he's attempting to do. Congratulations to Coach Kill and to his staff.

I like this. No sense doing things the same way over and over again. If the long term committment doesn't work, we can try something else the next time. Wish we'd had Holtz for seven years.

Congratulations to Coach Kill and AD Maturi for getting this done. A 7 year deal removes all the speculation that would have otherwise begun in Kill's 3rd year of a 5 year contract. A situation that other programs would have used to recruit against the Gopher's.

I like this. No sense doing things the same way over and over again. If the long term committment doesn't work, we can try something else the next time. Wish we'd had Holtz for seven years.

Yep, and we would have been subject to the "Death Penalty" after he was done.

Authentic Gopher fans are on board with this seven-year deal. A few weeks back, a usmcgopher posted on the qualities of effective leaders.

http://www.forums.gopherhole.com/bo...d-culture-from-a-former-USMC-infantry-officer

usmcgopher provided the most substantive post of the year. Coach Kill is the real deal and anyone who has worked in organizations with effective leadership understand what he's attempting to do. Congratulations to Coach Kill and to his staff.

Great post!!!!!

Unfortunately, the U has a tendency to make these one-way in favor of the coach. Holtz's contract allowed him to leave at any time with no penalty. Whether or not Kill is locked in for seven years depends on the contract.

Seven years is the right move, but only if Kill and staff can deliver. Otherwise, it's a bigger buyout. This week would be a good one to see if the small steps of improvement against Nebraska can be improved. But the jury is out for awhile.

Great Plains Gopher said:
Seven years is the right move, but only if Kill and staff can deliver. Otherwise, it's a bigger buyout. This week would be a good one to see if the small steps of improvement against Nebraska can be improved. But the jury is out for awhile.

I thought about this too. We won't know for sure until we see the contract, but with Maturi's recent negotiations, I'm guessing the buyout for years 6 and 7 are reasonably low compared to the first 5 years.

I like that both the UMN and Kill are making a seven year commitment and I think it was wise for the university to add the additional two years. It is going to take time, might as well give it to Jerry and see what he can do. I like his chances.

As always, the devil is in the the details. :)

Buyout according to Doogie Tweet. "An amount equal to two times his then current base salary amount."

Absolutely sick right now, this was yet ANOTHTER terrible decision by Joel Maturi. The deal was 5 years at $1.1 million and we have seen NOTHING, NOTHING from Jerry Kill that deserved two more years and $100K raise. Do you realize that he's now handcuffed the next A.D. with Jerry Kill? This will effect our A.D. search just like Joel's effected the head coach search. If the numbers in the StarTribune story are right, and the buyout is now $600K a year, we'd have to pay $3 million to get out of this contract if Kill puts up another 0 in the Big Ten next year which obviously the University cannot do. This University is so inept with its decision making, it is unbelievable.

Top Bottom