Kill and MN kids

Reaction score
I think Kill, at the very least, should recruit the best three Minnesota kids he can get each year. Whoever NDSU is recruiting in Minnesota, he should go after them to find at least two more. If you are beating out players whose other visits are to Army and San Jose State, guys being recruited by NDSU are of the same caliber. Minnesota kids should be the first priority.

how about Notre Dame--- Floyd, Wr this year, Henderson, Carlson- Litchfield.... We need to get some Cretin kids also

I think Kill, at the very least, should recruit the best three Minnesota kids he can get each year. Whoever NDSU is recruiting in Minnesota, he should go after them to find at least two more. If you are beating out players whose other visits are to Army and San Jose State, guys being recruited by NDSU are of the same caliber. Minnesota kids should be the first priority.

The Gophers recruit the best three players in the state every year.

So you would rather have a player at the skill level to get recruited by a school a division below D1 football over a player who was recruited by actual D1 schools? One of which was a top 25 team last year. That doesn't seem like a blue-print to building a winning program. I would rather have the better player. There is a reason a player is only being recruited by NDSU.

So you would rather have a player at the skill level to get recruited by a school a division below D1 football over a player who was recruited by actual D1 schools? One of which was a top 25 team last year. That doesn't seem like a blue-print to building a winning program. I would rather have the better player. There is a reason a player is only being recruited by NDSU.

+1. There's a reason multiple players have chosen Minnesota PWO's over scholarships from NDSU.

I think Kill has been doing a great job at keeping D1 talent in MN. The kids who are leaving the state to play football are doing so either because they weren't good enough to play for us, or because they were too good and went to a better program (i.e. Notre Dame). We still offer these kids, but sometimes it's not a fir for them here or they just want to go to National Championships maybe. lol

I think Kill has been doing a great job at keeping D1 talent in MN. The kids who are leaving the state to play football are doing so either because they weren't good enough to play for us, or because they were too good and went to a better program (i.e. Notre Dame). We still offer these kids, but sometimes it's not a fir for them here or they just want to go to National Championships maybe. lol

+1

Kill did a great job last year and there aren't that many great prospects this year (Kill still went after them).

Wolitarsky....BCS offfers - Arizona, FBS - Army, Navy, Nevada, Hawaii, NMSU, SDSU, SJDU. I'll take it over FCS NDSU.

I freely admit, I don't know the MSHSL records for receptions and yards, but I can say with relative confidence that Kill would offer that player a scholarship or PWO.

According to Rivals, NDSU as 0 (zero) MN recruits....they have 7...five from wisconsin and two from Nebraska....maybe you should go to the becky and cornhusker boards with your analysis.

Why?

+1

Kill did a great job last year and there aren't that many great prospects this year (Kill still went after them).

Wolitarsky....BCS offfers - Arizona, FBS - Army, Navy, Nevada, Hawaii, NMSU, SDSU, SJDU. I'll take it over FCS NDSU.

I freely admit, I don't know the MSHSL records for receptions and yards, but I can say with relative confidence that Kill would offer that player a scholarship or PWO.

Receiving Yards
1. 2694 Tim Busch, Triton, Dodge Center, 1992-94
2. 2026 Cary Miller, Minneota, 1982-84

Receptions
1. 174 Cary Miller, Minneota, 1982-84
2. 155 Tim Busch, Triton, Dodge Center, 1992-94

I seem to remember NDSU kicking the Gophers butt a couple of times, that's why. The hype on Wolitarsky is amazing. A young man who sets a receiving record, has good grades, but no interest from UCLA, USC, Cal, Stanford, San Diego State, or Fresno State. What's the big deal? Give me the hometown kid who will work his tail off at the hometown university. You mean you wouldn't take Billy Turner, Grant Olson, Carlton Littlejohn, etc.??? I have heard this tune before.

I seem to remember NDSU kicking the Gophers butt a couple of times, that's why. The hype on Wolitarsky is amazing. A young man who sets a receiving record, has good grades, but no interest from UCLA, USC, Cal, Stanford, San Diego State, or Fresno State. What's the big deal? Give me the hometown kid who will work his tail off at the hometown university. You mean you wouldn't take Billy Turner, Grant Olson, Carlton Littlejohn, etc.??? I have heard this tune before.

What hype? You're just making stuff up now. People being excited about a commitment isn't hype. No one has said he is a sure program changer or anything.

Also, so kids who go out of state to play don't work as hard as those who play for their hometown team? Imagine what Adrian Peterson could have done in college if he would have just stayed in Texas to play.

Please, enlighten us on which Minnesota WR should have been offered instead.

I'm with you, unfortunately others folks prefer to bottom feed from other states. Yeah I said it!

Do you realize we average more then 3 MN kids a year?

10 last year and that's not including PWO's.

Edit: Of the 10, four (Lauer, Leidner, Anyanwu, and Hayes) had offers from NDSU, UND, or N. Iowa.

Just cause a kid is from instate doesn't mean he wants to win more or will work harder. This isn't 1861.

3399 is a troll. Thanks for feeding her.

There are two different topics here. There is recruiting the best in the state and there is landing the best in the state. Last year Kill and his staff did a good job keeping the top players in the state here for the most part, this year not so much in a very thin group the best appear to be headed elsewhere for the most part.

As to recruiting the guys are being recruited by NDSU that sounds like a recipe for remaining dead last in the Big Ten in recruiting. This is not to take anything away from NDSU and what they have done to us in past games but that is a single game of their season, you take those same players and line them up week after week in the Big Ten and you would find that from a talent standpoint they would get dominated. For a single game though against a mediocre Big Ten team those overlooked MN players can look awesome.

This isn't sit around and hug each other and feel good story time. It's B1G football. You take the most talented kids you can wherever they come from. If that's from MN, all the better. If they're from Outer Mongolia, so be it.

Minnesota should be going after the best kids in the state that can contribute to the team. But to say they "have" to go after the top X number of players is silly. There will be some years they go after 10-15, some years it may only be a couple. But to offer players that have no business playing in the B1G isn't helpful to the Gophers or the player. Yes, some gems will sneak through. But you have to trust your talent evaluation and offer the players that can help produce wins.

I think Kill should recruit any Minnesota player who has a chance to start on a team that can beat OSU or Wisconsin and not care about NDSU, no disrespect to them intended. We are not trying to be NDSU, we are trying to be a good BigTen team, and that is not the same standard, despite the excellent job NDSU has done with their program.

Isn't it time for you to change your moniker from 3399 to 6677?

Contrary to the majority opinion on this board, you don't win games by recruiting in February. While recruiting is important, it pales in comparison to training, player development, attitude and team unity. If Kill recruits MN hard and starts to develop some team unity and a mental edge at MN, that will go a long way toward winning. MN's team concept and mental toughness have long been lacking. Brewster was the emperor with no clothes, building no toughness or unity.

MN is not competing with NDSU, but they could certainly learn something from NDSU player development, team concept, and playing for the guy next to you in the trenches. That is the MO at NDSU. MN should be and will be recruiting harder in-state. It is absolutely critical to future success. MN could also learn from NDSU in creating a style of play. NDSU recruits defense and powder running, focusing everything on that style of play. MN used to have a style of play under Mason, but that has been lost in recent years. Kill needs to establish a style of play, not try to change it each year . . . and most importantly teach the team how to win, to expect to win. If you want to learn what expecting to win can do for you, watch K-State NDSU next fall.

We should cut all the out-of-state players and then hold open tryouts. Bring your birth certificates. We are born and bred winners here in the Land of the Honeycrisp Apple and Prince.

Top Bottom