Kill and MN kids

Don't you see, none of them were misses. We should have recruited all of them.

Hehe.

I'm stilled stunned at how many bison fans try to come here and get a pat on the head from us.
Most if not all the NDSU MN native "stars" got walk on offers. All had flaws and deserved walk on offers not scholarships. There are reasons they weren't offered by D1 schools.

Would they have helped the gophers play better the past few years? Likely. That's why they were all recruited and offered a chance to play here.

I think the gophers will take most any marginally talented in state kid and give them a chance to play, they just won't all get a scholarship until they prove themselves.
Look at all the MN natives that have played in recent years, there's simply not a lack of Minnesotans on this roster and more will not magically fix the issues Kill is sorting out.

Hehe.

I'm stilled stunned at how many bison fans try to come here and get a pat on the head from us.
Most if not all the NDSU MN native "stars" got walk on offers. All had flaws and deserved walk on offers not scholarships. There are reasons they weren't offered by D1 schools.

Would they have helped the gophers play better the past few years? Likely. That's why they were all recruited and offered a chance to play here.

I think the gophers will take most any marginally talented in state kid and give them a chance to play, they just won't all get a scholarship until they prove themselves.
Look at all the MN natives that have played in recent years, there's simply not a lack of Minnesotans on this roster and more will not magically fix the issues Kill is sorting out.

Dom Izzo ‏@DomIzzoWDAY
Bismarck RB Layne Johs tweets he has turned down football offer at #NDSU and will focus on school

The best player in North Dakota wont even be playing for NDSU.

#1: I feel that if there was an emphasis on in state recruiting, the team would have more heart. I think Kill agrees with me and is trying to do so, thus the emphasis on the PWO program. If all you look at is Stars, many times MN recruiting is de-emphsized, and that's not good.
#2: Focusing on recruiting ratings is not the end all. You don't lose games in February. Player development can turn a marginal recruit into a starter, leader or great player. Losing to Ohio state in the recruiting ratings doesn't mean anything if the right players are brought in that fit the need and style of play.
#: I questioned why people give up and concede defeat after recruiting season. Developing players and a winning attitude is just as important. You can't bring in DIII players, but you should be able to develop recruited DI players and compete. You say that everyone develops players, everyone develops a winning attitude . . . I say there is much variiation. Brewster did neither, Kill is much better.

#1: That is the reason why most people here disagree with you. You seem to think there is something in a MN kid that makes him more full of heart than a kid from TX.

#2: A lot of the people arguing with you are on both sides of the recruiting rankings argument. I've posted several times that I trust Coach Kill with all of the players he invites to camp. If he invites them to camp and wants to offer them (so a lot of MN guys), I am 100% cool with the offer, because I trust him as a talent evaluator. But that holds true for kids from MN or Colorado or Afghanistan.

#3: I completely agree with you. However, you started a thread about recruiting in which your initial (and now your current view) was that recruiting "more" MN kids would be better. So people addressed that point. It's also a week before National Signing Day. So people are going to be talking about recruiting. Your gripe would be like if there were a lot of people posting about the Syracuse win last year and you decided to say "the Syracuse game doesn't make or break the program". Yeah, people know. It's just the season to talk recruiting, just like people will be talking about spring ball when it's the season to talk about spring ball.

Don't you see, none of them were misses. We should have recruited all of them.

We should have recruited all of them that turned out and still recruited all of ours that turned out as well. We obviously should have just swapped our players who didn't turn out for their players who did turn out. Why didn't we do that?

And what is with the notion that in-state kids will have more heart for the program? When it comes to heart for the program, the first person I think of is Tyrone Carter. Where is he from? Look at a guy like the pot smoker from De Lasalle who is from Minnesota. Hard to say he cared about the program with his actions.

And what is with the notion that in-state kids will have more heart for the program? When it comes to heart for the program, the first person I think of is Tyrone Carter. Where is he from? Look at a guy like the pot smoker from De Lasalle who is from Minnesota. Hard to say he cared about the program with his actions.

This.

Heart has a lot to do with the recruiting, but it's not as much as talent. Rudy had heart.

You go for the kids that will fit your system. In his first year he won 3 games. Look at this last season. the kids are embracing him, his staff and system. This year, I feel, we will be better. A DB UM had by the name of Middlebrook, loves Minnesota. Born and raised in.....MIAMI. All he evr said when I was talking to him was how UM is great, awesome, etc.

N don't get me wrong, A 6'2'', 225 RB who runs a 4.5 or a Javonis Clooney fron U of S.Carolina wouldn't of hurt. But, all in all, I feel the get kids with Character, balls, talent and heart. Miami is in a state that is loaded with D1 talent and they still recruit out of state. But Texas hardly recruits out of state. It just depends on what your needs are. Hell, even the Royals beat the Yankees.

We should have recruited all of them that turned out and still recruited all of ours that turned out as well. We obviously should have just swapped our players who didn't turn out for their players who did turn out. Why didn't we do that?

Bob - Thanks - I finally beginning to understand recruiting. What I like best about this approach is that by using it stars would no longer count. That alone would cut the number of posts on the GopherHole by 50%!

And since the OP is stating the U should be recruit more in-state kids. What does that say about North Dakota? How many in-state kids do they take. It would seem like they get a lot of kids from Minnesota. Those kids must not be good for their program. NDSU should really be focusing on North Dakota kids instead. Those kids would want to play a lot harder for their home team. Right? SMH

If you find any top flight Strength and Conditioning Coach that says he can't develop speed, I would be shocked. Speed development is a critical element of any Conditioning program, you can bank on it. You can't make a 5.0 run a 4.4, but you can enhance speed on any player.

All of the Minnesota kids on the NDSU are on that roster for 1 of a few reasons. They were either not talented enough or not good enough academically. None of the guys you mention should have been given more than a PWO from the U. And to say otherwise is just idiotic. Have some of them developed into players who may be able to contribute? Sure. But no coach has crystal ball that says what that player might develop into in 4 years. You take the players that are the best fit for your program. Nothing less.

And the U recruits PLENTY of in-state kids.

The OP is a circular argument because Kill can't sign all 20 NDSU level MN recruits just to get the two that pan out and could help the U. It is just too difficult to predict with much certainty which of those low level recruits will develop into B1G level players. Scholarships are limited so the whole debate is pointless.

The OP is a circular argument because Kill can't sign all 20 NDSU level MN recruits just to get the two that pan out and could help the U. It is just too difficult to predict with much certainty which of those low level recruits will develop into B1G level players. Scholarships are limited so the whole debate is pointless.

I think you are missing the point of my original post. I am not saying that they should recruit all mn kids or everyone that ndsu is recruiting. I am a bit shocked by the dismay my post has caused. Three is a modest number. Mn hs football players have a history, especially the elite ones, of going out of the state to play college football. Bringing in only one mn kid does not help things. The whole idea of my post came from a conversation I had with local hs coach. And a good one at that who has produced multiple players who have gone on to play at the u of m. He was outraged that they are bringing in just one. He tries to put in a good word to his players regarding gopher fb. He said he is not sure why he should put faith in them when they are not putting faith in mn athletes. He said he understands they offered guys who said no. But when you are bringing in guys from other states and their offer lists are marginal and everyone is ranking the class last, it is disappointing. Not my words, his. I know he is not the only one who thinks that. You can call me a troll if you want, but there are people who are not homers like so many on this board who see things for what they are.

I think you are missing the point of my original post. I am not saying that they should recruit all mn kids or everyone that ndsu is recruiting. I am a bit shocked by the dismay my post has caused. Three is a modest number. Mn hs football players have a history, especially the elite ones, of going out of the state to play college football. Bringing in only one mn kid does not help things. The whole idea of my post came from a conversation I had with local hs coach. And a good one at that who has produced multiple players who have gone on to play at the u of m. He was outraged that they are bringing in just one. He tries to put in a good word to his players regarding gopher fb. He said he is not sure why he should put faith in them when they are not putting faith in mn athletes. He said he understands they offered guys who said no. But when you are bringing in guys from other states and their offer lists are marginal and everyone is ranking the class last, it is disappointing. Not my words, his. I know he is not the only one who thinks that. You can call me a troll if you want, but there are people who are not homers like so many on this board who see things for what they are.

I have been critical of Kill's ability to recruit enough talent from day 1 and I am still not sold he is going to be able to bring in enough talent to make the Gophers competitive in the Big Ten, but that is a separate issue.

In regards to recruiting MN kids, the coaches are going to evaluate them all and offer the ones they think can play at this level. They would be foolish to offer a kid they didn't think could cut it just because he is from MN. Also coaches are not dumb, they understand they need the in state coaches on their side so I find it hard to believe they would pass on a MN kid they think is worthy of an offer in order to extend an offer to a similar player from a different state.

Will they miss guys....of course but in general they are going to offer the MN kids that can make it and extend PWO offers to the fringe guys. The bigger issue is being able to keep the guys in state that they do view as worthy. This year they did not do very well in that department. Going forward they are going to need to secure as much of the limited high end talent as possible.

Like I already said, this is a really poor class of instate kids, we usually sign at least 3 MN kids. We didn't offer Cottrell and Reinke, who are going to BC and Kent St, what other kids even have an offer from a MAC team?

Offering and signing the best players you can, regardless of the zip code they reside in, is a perfectly logical and rational exercise. Offering and signing kids for no other reason than they are from Minnesota, even if you think they aren't good enough, is stupid, pointless, and a recipe for failure. The latter is a way more "homerish" take than the former. Your overall "point" is to sign 3 Minnesota kids every year, even if some or all of them aren't good enough. Congratulations on your stupid thread. If random Mr. local HS coach (who probably doesn't even exist, frankly) were better at talent evaluation and development than Jerry Kill, he would be coaching the Gophers instead.

Offering and signing the best players you can, regardless of the zip code they reside in, is a perfectly logical and rational exercise. Offering and signing kids for no other reason than they are from Minnesota, even if you think they aren't good enough, is stupid, pointless, and a recipe for failure. The latter is a way more "homerish" take than the former. Your overall "point" is to sign 3 Minnesota kids every year, even if some or all of them aren't good enough. Congratulations on your stupid thread. If random Mr. local HS coach (who probably doesn't even exist, frankly) were better at talent evaluation and development than Jerry Kill, he would be coaching the Gophers instead.

+1. My thoughts as well.

Top Bottom