Kilgore >>>>>>> Weber

Is there any doubt Weber is the weakest link in this offense? Even MTSU fans said they would hate to see our team with a good QB.

If I'm coaching a Big Ten team playing the Gophers, I stack the box and make Weber beat me. And considering he's a 5th year senior, that's a sorry state of affairs. There was just way too much of Weber circa 2009 for my comfort.

I thought Weber made a lot of plays tonight and obviously didn't turn it over. The only thing he didn't do was throw touchdowns. He led us to three touchdowns (and I think most agree we would have scored a 4th had we not taken a knee at the end) and led us to three reasonable field goal opportunities. He had a very solid game, IMO. The defense is what disappointed me.

Is there any doubt Weber is the weakest link in this offense? Even MTSU fans said they would hate to see our team with a good QB.

If I'm coaching a Big Ten team playing the Gophers, I stack the box and make Weber beat me. And considering he's a 5th year senior, that's a sorry state of affairs. There was just way too much of Weber circa 2009 for my comfort.

I'd say I have similar feeling about Weber, the first pass of the game he stared right at Stoudermire and threw that slant right in to double coverage(getting the P.I. call, but Troy needed help from the medical staff). Then there was the huge sack he took on a play that was almost entirely on him.

That said, the passing game as a whole seemed poor, the receivers routes seemed weak, even on TV.

Running was the game plan. We wanted to focus on establishing it. Wait a few weeks and see how the passing game develops. I saw several times where Weber saw the D pinching in the middle, and he changed plays so that Bennett could bounce outside for big gains. We played a smart game and I am pleased with the win.

Worst D1 QB ever? wow? really? cmon man... we won the game. At least Weber didn't throw any in the dirt. He will be fine this year.

Running was the game plan. We wanted to focus on establishing it. Wait a few weeks and see how the passing game develops. I saw several times where Weber saw the D pinching in the middle, and he changed plays so that Bennett could bounce outside for big gains. We played a smart game and I am pleased with the win.

That's a good point about Weber's role in the running game. He certainly deserves praise for that as much as criticism for his passing tonight.

Worst D1 QB ever? wow? really? cmon man... we won the game. At least Weber didn't throw any in the dirt. He will be fine this year.

Agree, that is a big, big reach. Worst MN starting QB in the last 10 years? Maybe.

I would take Cuipto, Kaliq, and Cockerham over him for sure...Maybe not Travis Cole though...

We controlled the ball for approximately 45 minutes and 83 plays (to MTSU's 40 plays). I'm pretty sure the QB directs that whole process. Stop calling Weber bumbling and stumbling--insults like that make you look ridiculous. We were at the game and we watched the Gophers control MTSU in the second half. Weber may not have thrown tons of yards or a TD pass, but he ran that offense for those 45 minutes.

Go Gophers!!

I thought Weber made a lot of plays tonight and obviously didn't turn it over. The only thing he didn't do was throw touchdowns. He led us to three touchdowns (and I think most agree we would have scored a 4th had we not taken a knee at the end) and led us to three reasonable field goal opportunities. He had a very solid game, IMO. The defense is what disappointed me.

This. He stunk early and was 0 for 4. He then completed 10 of his next 13 and that included two drops. Nice job, "fans."

This. He stunk early and was 0 for 4. He then completed 10 of his next 13 and that included two drops. Nice job, "fans."

THIS. Why the f*ck is everyone freaking out about Weber right now. He completed almost 59% of his passes, and if you don't count his 0-4 cobweb in the beginning he was throwing for almost 77%!

Those calling for Weber's head need to calm the f*ck down. We won the stupid game.

I think it's fair to point out that Weber was pretty awful in the 1st half. He came back nicely which makes this thread pretty funny. However, in the 1st half he was really struggling with making some throws and he looked pretty jittery in the pocket.

Another thing to keep in mind is that Weber probably had a TD pass taken away and another likely 20 yards from the PI on McKnight. I'm not so sure Stoud makes that catch on his PI, but McKnight was in pretty good position to haul his in.

THIS. Why the f*ck is everyone freaking out about Weber right now. He completed almost 59% of his passes, and if you don't count his 0-4 cobweb in the beginning he was throwing for almost 77%!

Those calling for Weber's head need to calm the f*ck down. We won the stupid game.

Amen.

Those that are reactionary can just take off their Gopher colors. They can get them back when they decide to be rational fans.. No wait, rational people.

Weber would still look good in #48 as an H-Back/TE...Never too late! :)

I'll ride your mom into the dumpster! Booya punk! BREW 4 LIFE

Sean Connery? Is that you?

Didn't see the game, but the debate seems to be the same as last year.

Anyone know if there's a replay at ESPNU or somewhere else?

Sean Connery? Is that you?

Didn't see the game, but the debate seems to be the same as last year.

Anyone know if there's a replay at ESPNU or somewhere else?

Pretty kneejerk thread considering the nice second half Weber had.
His throw to Mcknight on third and long while escaping a sack was clutch.
Overall not a great game, but I honestly don't think the gameplan called for him to throw 40 times for 300 yards. He also made some nice reads at the line and audibled to some really successful runs.

Bottom line AW as gophers QB in 2010 1-0.

People need to calm down. That was a fired up MTSU team defense in the first half. They knew that without Dasher, it was up to them to keep the Raiders in the game. So Adams' first half was rushed. He calmed the team down, and we ran it down their throat in the second half.

People should just be patient. It's not like we're challenging for a BCS spot, so we don't need to win big, we just need to win.

It didn't help that olson and bunders got their butts whooped on a good amount of pass plays because of the quickness of their d-line.

They should have tossed in a few more PA passes and maybe a screen pass here or there, but they were in a lot of third ans shorts.

I wouldn't say kilgore is better than webber, but some of his balls were thrown horribly (That deep ball to Hayo, who's awful btw)

If you don't count all of his incompletions he threw for 100%!!!!

In all seriousness, Weber was not terrible and made the huge 3rd and 12 pass to McKnight by avoding the unblocked blitzer. He's not ever going to light the world on fire but I'm more comfortable with him making clutch plays and decisions at this point rather than Gray, who has shown even worse accuracy than Weber and has the propensity to cough up the football.

If you don't count all of his incompletions he threw for 100%!!!!

In all seriousness, Weber was not terrible and made the huge 3rd and 12 pass to McKnight by avoding the unblocked blitzer. He's not ever going to light the world on fire but I'm more comfortable with him making clutch plays and decisions at this point rather than Gray, who has shown even worse accuracy than Weber and has the propensity to cough up the football.

See, I'm of a different opinion. Weber, from what I've seen, sans Decker, will be consistently average to below average. He won't ever really kill you, but he's not a drop-back passer. Gray, on the other hand, is a bit more of a wildcard, and can hurt you with turnovers, but has a much, much better chance to make a big play, in my opinion, both with his arm and his legs. He's got a much stronger arm, and he's not as tentative as Weber seems to be.

See, I'm of a different opinion. Weber, from what I've seen, sans Decker, will be consistently average to below average. He won't ever really kill you, but he's not a drop-back passer. Gray, on the other hand, is a bit more of a wildcard, and can hurt you with turnovers, but has a much, much better chance to make a big play, in my opinion, both with his arm and his legs. He's got a much stronger arm, and he's not as tentative as Weber seems to be.

Maybe I'm reading the tea leaves wrong, but after the Brewster quote in the paper, and then repeating it on the Sporting News that Gray is a '1st round, top 10 pick as wide reciever' I think we may need to shift our focus to Alipate or the kid from WI. It seems like Brew is giving the 'Gray as WR' sales job a little too hard for the QB of the future.

Maybe I'm reading the tea leaves wrong, but after the Brewster quote in the paper, and then repeating it on the Sporting News that Gray is a '1st round, top 10 pick as wide reciever' I think we may need to shift our focus to Alipate or the kid from WI. It seems like Brew is giving the 'Gray as WR' sales job a little too hard for the QB of the future.

Possibly, but not necessarily. Lots of QBs played there all through college and were drafted as WR. Antwaan Randle El, Matt Jones, Hines Ward (though he played everywhere at Georgia), Arnaz Battle (converted during college due to injury), and Brad Smith all come to mind off the top of my head.

Sanity

We controlled the ball for approximately 45 minutes and 83 plays (to MTSU's 40 plays). I'm pretty sure the QB directs that whole process. Stop calling Weber bumbling and stumbling--insults like that make you look ridiculous. We were at the game and we watched the Gophers control MTSU in the second half. Weber may not have thrown tons of yards or a TD pass, but he ran that offense for those 45 minutes.

Go Gophers!!

Thank you for adding some sanity to this arguement. Weber did his job - actually he and our offense reminds me of Wisconsin. Nothing flashy but got the job done much like our neighbors to the east have done in years past. People will be very surprised when he's on a pro team next year!

You gotta love the homerism after a victory. C'mon fellas, I stick by my original assessment, though will admit the "worst D-1 QB ever" statement was ridiculous. Adam Weber is a below-average D-1 QB, and way-below-average Big Ten QB. I realize he has a lot of stats, but he was also the QB of a spread offense for two years and is now starting in his 4th year.

The guy is tough, plays through injury, but after he busted up his knee two years ago, he's never been an effective QB as a connection with anyone but Eric Decker. Without Decker he has been, frankly, pathetic. The guy can't complete 5-yard passes, hitting the receivers in the feet or 3 or 4 feet behind them. He throws at the receivers at the worst times (i.e., when they are covered instead of open on a cut), has horrible accuracy, and can no longer throw on the run. Since he also can no longer run, he is nearly worthless as a Big Ten QB. He may have a game or two yet this year like MSU last year where for some odd reason he finds "it", but as the past almost 2 full years have shown, "it" is what he doesn't have. Maybe it won't be his fault 100%, but unless Adam Weber does a Dr. Jekyll impression (in a good way) and turn his career around in a hurry, the Gophers will have trouble ever scoring 20 points in a Big Ten (or vs. USC) game this year. Since the Gopher's D is about average Big Ten (~25-30 ppg), this suggests a very difficult time winning big games this year. The Gophers will probably win 4 games this year. They can win 5 with some luck. And they can win a lot more with some help from the QB position, which I just can't see happening with Weber. The team has zero confidence with him back there - just watch their body language. The Gophers will win 4 games, both because of and in spite of Weber (the MTSU win was in spite of him), and Brewster will ride Weber into being fired. Nothing I've seen from either of those two gives me any confidence otherwise. This is going to be a long, dreadful, brutal season ending with Patrick Reusse all too giddy. Yuck.

There'll be a lot of crow eaten by the end of the season. None of these "fans" will acknowledge what AW does right, ever, so don't try.

Without our running game, Cupito, Asad, and Cockerham would have looked far, FAR worse than Weber.

You gotta love the homerism after a victory. C'mon fellas, I stick by my original assessment

Stick by whatever you want. It's wrong. 10 out of 17 isn't bad, and there were some real clutch passes there.

You gotta love the homerism after a victory. C'mon fellas, I stick by my original assessment, though will admit the "worst D-1 QB ever" statement was ridiculous. Adam Weber is a below-average D-1 QB, and way-below-average Big Ten QB. I realize he has a lot of stats, but he was also the QB of a spread offense for two years and is now starting in his 4th year.

The guy is tough, plays through injury, but after he busted up his knee two years ago, he's never been an effective QB as a connection with anyone but Eric Decker. Without Decker he has been, frankly, pathetic. The guy can't complete 5-yard passes, hitting the receivers in the feet or 3 or 4 feet behind them. He throws at the receivers at the worst times (i.e., when they are covered instead of open on a cut), has horrible accuracy, and can no longer throw on the run. Since he also can no longer run, he is nearly worthless as a Big Ten QB. He may have a game or two yet this year like MSU last year where for some odd reason he finds "it", but as the past almost 2 full years have shown, "it" is what he doesn't have. Maybe it won't be his fault 100%, but unless Adam Weber does a Dr. Jekyll impression (in a good way) and turn his career around in a hurry, the Gophers will have trouble ever scoring 20 points in a Big Ten (or vs. USC) game this year. Since the Gopher's D is about average Big Ten (~25-30 ppg), this suggests a very difficult time winning big games this year. The Gophers will probably win 4 games this year. They can win 5 with some luck. And they can win a lot more with some help from the QB position, which I just can't see happening with Weber. The team has zero confidence with him back there - just watch their body language. The Gophers will win 4 games, both because of and in spite of Weber (the MTSU win was in spite of him), and Brewster will ride Weber into being fired. Nothing I've seen from either of those two gives me any confidence otherwise. This is going to be a long, dreadful, brutal season ending with Patrick Reusse all too giddy. Yuck.

Love your optimisim:cheer:

Maybe it won't be his fault 100%, but unless Adam Weber does a Dr. Jekyll impression (in a good way) and turn his career around in a hurry, the Gophers will have trouble ever scoring 20 points in a Big Ten (or vs. USC) game this year.

Last year's offense: 21 vs. Cal, 35 @ Northwestern, 21 vs. Wisconsin, 28 vs. Purdue, 42 vs. MSU, 25 vs. Illinois. That's 6 games right there when they scored over 20 points on BT or quality opponents. And last year's offense was one of the worst we've seen. I think they'll manage to come up with a few 20 point games this BT season, though yes, if Weber comes out in games like he did against MTSU, they will be up against it. I think the passing offense will improve as they tack on to that portion of the game. They were VERY vanilla against MTSU.

Top Bottom