KFAN Negativity....

I'll NEVER be sorry for telling you all about the way brewster REALLY was and what he was doing to this football program. And, to this day I don't blame brewster...I totally blame maturi and prexy b. It was a disaster from day ONE. And you know it. I also knew it. But, I was not afraid to say it. Maybe you didn't like it when I said it...but...somebody NEEDED to say it. So, I said it.

maximus: You may not like to hear the truth...but...it all was the truth and it DID need to be said. brewster, maturi and perxy b created a total disaster as they opened the new sadium. I won't forgive them for that and I won't forget.

I was honest maximus. Many of you tried to cover up the truth...but...in the end, the truth could NOT be covered up. In the end the truth mainfested itself in the dismissal of brewster mid-season in 2010.

Coach Kill will be just fine. He is honest. He knows who he is. He knows how HE wants to coach. He has my total backing and support. He will put his players in the best position to win as many games as they possibly can starting in year one. He will NOT throw a season away. He will NOT move coordinators in and out like a revolving door.

And, the total number of Big Ten wins minus Big Ten losses in any one year or over the tenure of any coach will accurately tell us what kind of a Big Ten coach that coach is/has been.

No. You formulated a knee-jerk, uninformed opinion on Brew and shouted to the heavens about it. And when it became evident that Brew sucked at the head coaching gig, you pound your chest exclaiming how awesome you are. Sad thing is, if you were wrong, you STILL wouldn't admit it. So please, spare us your 'I told you so' soap box rant. It's tried and tiring.

Over 40 years of mediocrity makes them fair game for all of those things. I'm a Gopher fan, but the truth is, the program has earned its reputation and ridicule.

No question the Gophers performance has not above reproach. That is obvious. The ridicule that Barrerio (sp) dished out went far beyond what it deserves. But never directly to the face of those accountable.

You are probably correct but if wren could afford the drugs that Charlie buys, who knows what wren would say.

He would be dead, only Charlie Sheen can survive the drugs that Charlie Sheen buys.

No question the Gophers performance has not above reproach. That is obvious. The ridicule that Barrerio (sp) dished out went far beyond what it deserves. But never directly to the face of those accountable.

He has a radio show, he is supposed to talk to his audience and I don't think many people from the last staff would go on (or were allowed to go on) his show.

KFAN Needs to Step Up with Positivity

No one questions that the Gophers need to amp it up. But that does not make them fair game for level of bashing, put downs, smart-a$$ed comments and ridicule that Wren eluded to. IMO, that was very unprofessional.

KFAN will do their best to bring in more listeners. But they will have to elevate their game if the program falters. Not sure that Barium has that in him.

KFAN needs to step up with more positivety towards the Gopher Football Program starting immediately. They bid on the rights for Gopher Football -- no one forced them to do that. It was their desire to pursue that as their Business future. I feel that includes Barrero treating the Gophers program with respect --- not satirical rips. If he can't bring himself to do that, he needs to find another station ( hopefully out of state ). All he does is constantly belittle Minnesotans and makes fun of our culture. I can't see him to ever being positive about anything that Minnesotoans endear. He wants to rain on any parade we have. Hire someone who shares their pride and enthusiasm with Gopher fans -- someone who doesn't feel ashamed to admit to being a Gopher fan.

PA has good connections and can really get pumped up about his favorite sports teams. I believe he can do that with the Gophers Football Program as well. He can be a big promoter I believe.

KFAN can start immediately promoting Spring Football ---- since NFL Lockout is in place . Let them engage Gopher ex-players to spark interest. PA has a Buffalo Wild Wings Friday show. Why not implement a Gophers one as well ?

KFAN needs to step up with more positivety towards the Gopher Football Program starting immediately. They bid on the rights for Gopher Football -- no one forced them to do that. It was their desire to pursue that as their Business future. I feel that includes Barrero treating the Gophers program with respect --- not satirical rips. If he can't bring himself to do that, he needs to find another station ( hopefully out of state ). All he does is constantly belittle Minnesotans and makes fun of our culture. I can't see him to ever being positive about anything that Minnesotoans endear. He wants to rain on any parade we have. Hire someone who shares their pride and enthusiasm with Gopher fans -- someone who doesn't feel ashamed to admit to being a Gopher fan.

PA has good connections and can really get pumped up about his favorite sports teams. I believe he can do that with the Gophers Football Program as well. He can be a big promoter I believe.

KFAN can start immediately promoting Spring Football ---- since NFL Lockout is in place . Let them engage Gopher ex-players to spark interest. PA has a Buffalo Wild Wings Friday show. Why not implement a Gophers one as well ?

Should they announce next year that every game has been won? Instead of losses should they spend the week talking about moral victories? Do they need to pre-tape their shows to get the approval of the university?

Whats your Point?

Should they announce next year that every game has been won? Instead of losses should they spend the week talking about moral victories? Do they need to pre-tape their shows to get the approval of the university?

Whats your point? Did I say that? You sound like Barrero. Treat the program with respect --- nothing else. Promote enthusiasm like they do for the Vikings.

That is fine for games, but those stations more than likely won't carry other programing. With wcco you could tune in anywhere, and no 'network' of affiliated stations is going to replace that. Those who downplay that difference are foolish when it comes to this.

Once again, this had NOTHING to do with WCCO, or Sid's increasingly erratic behavior, or the cheerleaders Mona and Max. This was a corporate decision out of CBS, and is the same reason the Twins are no longer on WCCO, and the Cardinals are no longer on KMOX. As CBS has gobbled up their radio affiliates, they've abandoned decades of local sports coverage on their legacy clear channel stations. CBS doesn't care about the eons of local sports on their stations, and will continue to be outbid for those contracts.

Last Friday I was driving up to our cabin in Wisconsin, listening to the Wild game. Fortunately, I could pick up WCCO the whole way, because the Duluth affiliate was carrying the state hockey tournament (because of Duluth East). I could not care less about state hockey (which probably makes me a minority in Minnesota), and was glad to hear CCO. I don't like that the Twins and Gophers are no longer going to be on the full power 830, but this is CBS' decision, plain and simple and we all have to deal with that. Gopher football, the Twins and the Wild are a big reason I pay for XM radio, so I can listen to games up there, as well as when I'm on my motorcyle - I accept that, and it's the way things are going.

'The way thing are going' doesn't make it good. Gopher football will be exposed to fewer ears now, plain and simple.

'The way thing are going' doesn't make it good. Gopher football will be exposed to fewer ears now, plain and simple.

Time to get with the times then. Intarwebs, FOR THE WIN.

And 'fans' don't do that? Kinda exposes said fandom, right? Right.

Deal with it.

The guy hosting PA's show right now Myron Metcalf really sounds great. This guy could be in the booth for gopher sports.

Deal with it.

That is not the best approach when the goal is to reach as many as possible. Not everyone subscribes to the "times" and are still fans.

How about the 85 year old guy, and thousands like him, in their home or a nursing home who has listened to the Gophers for decades on WCCO? And those traveling who always rely on WCCO and have no clue where, or are unable, to find the game on the airwaves?

I am not able to get the Duluth station at night and now that is my only choice. But being a bit with the times, I do have internet. Prior to that, I would sit in my vehicle and tune in 830.

Once again, this had NOTHING to do with WCCO, or Sid's increasingly erratic behavior, or the cheerleaders Mona and Max. This was a corporate decision out of CBS.

I don't think that is entirely true. I've heard it was an entirely local negotiation.

the Cardinals are no longer on KMOX.

Actually, they are back on KMOX.

CBS doesn't care about the eons of local sports on their stations, and will continue to be outbid for those contracts.

I'm not sure that's true either. Do you know what all of the following teams listed below all have in common? They have their games on CBS owned-and-operated radio stations:

New York Yankees
New York Giants
Los Angeles Dodgers
Los Angeles Clippers
Dallas Cowboys
Chicago Bears
Chicago White Sox
Detroit Red Wings
Detroit Lions
Philadelphia Flyers
Philadelphia Eagles
Philadelphis 76er's
St. Louis Cardinals
St. Louis Blues
Sacramento Kings
Texas Rangers
Atlanta Falcons
Houston Rockets
Houston Texans
Minnesota Wild
Washington Wizards
Washington Nationals

I'm sure there are more.

That is fine for games, but those stations more than likely won't carry other programing. With wcco you could tune in anywhere, and no 'network' of affiliated stations is going to replace that. Those who downplay that difference are foolish when it comes to this.

What other programming? I don't hear Gopher talk from 9 a.m. to 6 p.m. Monday through Friday. Sid and Dave on Sunday morning will have plenty of Gopher talk. Steve Thompson and Eric Nelson will talk Gophers on weekend afternoons.

That is not the best approach when the goal is to reach as many as possible. Not everyone subscribes to the "times" and are still fans.

How about the 85 year old guy, and thousands like him, in their home or a nursing home who has listened to the Gophers for decades on WCCO? And those traveling who always rely on WCCO and have no clue where, or are unable, to find the game on the airwaves?

I am not able to get the Duluth station at night and now that is my only choice. But being a bit with the times, I do have internet. Prior to that, I would sit in my vehicle and tune in 830.

Do you still own an 8 track? Every game is on television minus the rare ESPN360 game.

How do you propose the Gophers add to its fanbase? They lost an entire generation of fans...maybe two generations because of the dome and lousy play.

You have to change the demographic. PERIOD! The 85 year old is not going to pump money into the program. God Bless Him. We need the 20-30 year olds that are making the money.

tjgopher

Thanks for again showing how bad people are in posting beliefs on this site as facts. Since there is no accountability here, people feel free to say anything without any basis. If that isn't bad enough, people then keep on saying the same things over and over again. They probably think if you say it enough times, then it must be true. wren is certainly a victim of that logic.

I've been on the site for awhile, but have decided to de-lurk.

As to the claims that KFAN has no listeners:

Actually, KFAN is the leading talk station in Men 25-54, which I imagine is the demographic the U would want to reach. Here are the ratings from the last Fall (Oct-Nov-Dec) survey:

KFAN 8.1 4th
KSTP 5.1 7th
WCCO 3.3 12th

From Monday through Friday, between 6am-7pm, when people are talking football, the numbers get bigger:

KFAN 8.9 3rd
KSTP 4.8 8th
WCCO 3.0 12th

So, it makes sense that the U would change stations. WCCO's demographics are older, in some cases much older.

However, I'm with a lot of people who want KFAN to prove that they care about the program. Some of what I've heard lately is better, but they have a lot of history to erase.

Do you still own an 8 track? Every game is on television minus the rare ESPN360 game.

How do you propose the Gophers add to its fanbase? They lost an entire generation of fans...maybe two generations because of the dome and lousy play.

You have to change the demographic. PERIOD! The 85 year old is not going to pump money into the program. God Bless Him. We need the 20-30 year olds that are making the money.

"How do you propose the Gophers add to its fanbase?" The obvious. By winning and not by deciding to change the radio dial.

The Gophers can't afford to alienate any age group. Coach Kill wants the Gophers to be Minnesotas team and not just the metro area or people who get the BTN, etc.

That 85 year old may have a nice bank account sitting around and the high school FFA and 4-H'ers are out there making choices and decisions on their future. Will they go to Iowa State, NDSU, SDSU or the U? The 25 year old may go to a game or two, spend the balance of his resources of more important things and tend to the tasks of starting a family. Some may become life long fans. IMO, all age groups are important when it comes to generating more support for the Gophers not just those who may buy a ticket. There is fierce competition when it comes to the sports dollar.

Many of us who choose to live in the sticks don't want to be left out. With this move, some will be. But that is the way it is.

"How do you propose the Gophers add to its fanbase?" The obvious. By winning and not by deciding to change the radio dial.

The Gophers can't afford to alienate any age group. Coach Kill wants the Gophers to be Minnesotas team and not just the metro area or people who get the BTN, etc.

Minnesota's team. I'm guessing based on your moniker, that you live in Bayfield, WI. That's 1 hour 45 minutes from Duluth. To expect good Gopher coverage over eighty miles into another state is asking a little much. I have a cabin in Iron River. One of the main reasons I have XM radio is to listen to Gophers and Twins games up there, and I'm 40 miles closer to Duluth than you. If I lived in say, Eveleth, I wouldn't expect to be able to listen to Badger games.

The 25 year old may go to a game or two, spend the balance of his resources of more important things and tend to the tasks of starting a family. Some may become life long fans. IMO, all age groups are important when it comes to generating more support for the Gophers not just those who may buy a ticket. There is fierce competition when it comes to the sports dollar.

Look closely at the demographics of the people at Vikings games. Starting around 1998 or so, it got considerably younger and rowdier. These people spend a lot of money on Vikings tickets, and a lot of money on merchandise, food, beer, and more or less plan their entire weekends around the games. For many, this eats up a huge percentage of their disposable income. There are colleges that have that same kind of rabid fanbase. The U needs to build a compelling reason to care about the product. A winning team, and/or a fun experience will do that, but historically, we've had neither.

And if the Vikings leave, those people aren't likely to start caring about the Gophers.

Minnesota's team. I'm guessing based on your moniker, that you live in Bayfield, WI. That's 1 hour 45 minutes from Duluth. To expect good Gopher coverage over eighty miles into another state is asking a little much. I have a cabin in Iron River. One of the main reasons I have XM radio is to listen to Gophers and Twins games up there, and I'm 40 miles closer to Duluth than you. If I lived in say, Eveleth, I wouldn't expect to be able to listen to Badger games.

Look closely at the demographics of the people at Vikings games. Starting around 1998 or so, it got considerably younger and rowdier. These people spend a lot of money on Vikings tickets, and a lot of money on merchandise, food, beer, and more or less plan their entire weekends around the games. For many, this eats up a huge percentage of their disposable income. There are colleges that have that same kind of rabid fanbase. The U needs to build a compelling reason to care about the product. A winning team, and/or a fun experience will do that, but historically, we've had neither.

And if the Vikings leave, those people aren't likely to start caring about the Gophers.

Yep. Beautiful Bayfield it is! And its about 80 highway miles from Duluth and likely around 45-50 due east on a straight line. I have been able to get Duluth radio stations daytime but most fade badly at night. So WCCO was always the strongest signal.

Personally I could care less about radio broadcasts as I take care of my owns needs, go to 5 or 6 home games and watch away games on BTB, etc. I rarely listened to KFAN when it was out of Duluth.

My point is that the Gophers need to market all age groups within their borders. Getting fans from the whole state to the games is critical. The switch away from WCCO is certainly no panacea and may tend to alienate the older and more stable group in hopes of attracting the finicky(sp) 20-30 group. Take a look at who sits in the premium seats? It certainly isn't the young crowd. I hope the Gophers made a good business deal with this switch as KFAN alone won't drive many newbies their way.

All in all, it probably won't matter unless Kill can generate a winner. If not, the youngsters will continue stay away as they like to hang with a winnner and the same people will show up at TCF.

Each and every time kfan screws up and starts dissing the Gophers or gives the...

stinking vikings too much attention, it is time to dump on barrerio (sp? what a jerk he has been), common slug, or race track promoter-mouth, pa... IF and when ( believe me, it's just a matter of time) they blow the Gopher Mission, it is time to rip on them. Rip them up. Rip them down. Rip them all around. kfan needs to be held accountable.

bad badger joel macturi has continued to mess up the revenue sports scene at the U. Drive him back to his beloved mad-town hide away. Drive him any where. But, throw him under the darn bus just as soon as possible.

Maybe we can help keep kfan honest. Or....maybe we can't. But, when they mess up go public
with their crimes against Gopher Football. Do NOT tolerate barrerio (sp? Don't put up with any of his crap!) if he backslides re: Golden Gopher Football.

; 0 )

Deal with it.

How many brands have successfully taken an approach of 'let's make it more difficult for our core customers to connect with us'?

Deal with it.

What other programming? I don't hear Gopher talk from 9 a.m. to 6 p.m. Monday through Friday. Sid and Dave on Sunday morning will have plenty of Gopher talk. Steve Thompson and Eric Nelson will talk Gophers on weekend afternoons.

Yes, I understand that daytime wcco is news, but evening coaches shows, etc will not have statewide coverage with the gopher radio network. Many stations will only switch for games and many more will power down entirely in the evening.

I can't believe half the crap I'm reading.....
KFAN is a sports radio station. If you want to listen to sports radio in this state the only real option is to into KFAN. KSTP is a 2nd option but because its more national vs local I tend to not listen. WCCO is NEVER even an option for me. Even w/ Sid and Dave I can't imagine too many people from ages 20-50 listening to that dinosaur. Horrible. It's bad and nobody can defend that it is a good radio station. There is absolutely no substance for a sports fan anywhere on that station.

This move to KFAN is sort of like taking a nerd and putting him/her through a makeover. It's not going to make them popular, but it will at least give them a fresh start, and that is what this program needs in a lot of people's minds.

This move to KFAN is sort of like taking a nerd and putting him/her through a makeover. It's not going to make them popular, but it will at least give them a fresh start, and that is what this program needs in a lot of people's minds.

nerds.gif

Is pushing a button to switch to the station where the Gophers are on really so burdensome? I don't see why local stations wouldn't carry Gopher-related programming in addition to games. It's got to beat whatever these stations are playing now.

Each and every time kfan screws up and starts dissing the Gophers or gives the...stinking vikings too much attention, it is time to dump on barrerio (sp? what a jerk he has been), common slug, or race track promoter-mouth, pa... IF and when ( believe me, it's just a matter of time) they blow the Gopher Mission, it is time to rip on them. Rip them up. Rip them down. Rip them all around. kfan needs to be held accountable.

bad badger joel macturi has continued to mess up the revenue sports scene at the U. Drive him back to his beloved mad-town hide away. Drive him any where. But, throw him under the darn bus just as soon as possible.

Maybe we can help keep kfan honest. Or....maybe we can't. But, when they mess up go public
with their crimes against Gopher Football. Do NOT tolerate barrerio (sp? Don't put up with any of his crap!) if he backslides re: Golden Gopher Football.

; 0 )

Goddamn. The irony in this post is as unbelievable as anything I have seen in the history of this message board. And, that is saying something. I mean absolutely, mind-bogglingy unreal.

Goddamn. The irony in this post is as unbelievable as anything I have seen in the history of this message board. And, that is saying something. I mean absolutely, mind-bogglingy unreal.

My thought exactly.

The reason KFAN covers the Vikings as much as they do, is because they are the most popular team in the state, and the crown jewel of KFAN programming. The Twins are second, and the crown jewel of KSTP's programming, and that's why there's so much baseball talk on that station.

The Gopher programs are nobodies crown jewel.

Top Bottom