KFAN Negativity....

GoGophers2005

Reaction score
I'm pumped that the Gophers are moving to KFAN. At WCCO they were living in the past. Anyone who wants any sort of sport talk during the day knows its a no brainer to tune into KFAN and not WCCO during the day.
In saying that I think alot of people on this board are being wayyyyy too hard on PA. The guy lives and breathes NFL, just like alot of my friends do. For one its a much easier and simpler format to follow, but I won't go into the specifics of that. If PA continues to bring guys in that do know college football he's doing his job. Same with all the hosts....they don't have to suddenly become Gopher fans, just bring in guests that are. Stop the 'Gophers should be contracted' talk and replace with 'the Gophers will be a better team if they had more depth' talk.

I think this is a huge and positive move by the U of M. Good job.

PA's show is good for NFL & NBA talk. If you love those sports, he's right in your wheelhouse. He knows nothing about hockey, baseball or college sports.

......and that's OK. I don't listen to sports talk radio to be educated on my favorite sports by the host. I listen for the guests and the interviews. As long as PA has a lot of Gopher guests, he's OK by me.

I don't listen to sports talk radio to be educated on my favorite sports by the host. I listen for the guests and the interviews. As long as PA has a lot of Gopher guests, he's OK by me.

This is why it is a great move. They have a business and covering the Gophers will be part of that business. We now have the chance to hear interviews with the AD, Coaches, and players on a regular basis. The personalities are paid to give their opinion and will continue to do so.

If you listen to Barreiro's interview with Kill yesterday, it was probably the most in depth radio interview to date with Kill. I didn't feel that Barreiro was just tossing softball's. This is great moving forward.

Make those Gopher bashers over on kfan EARN any kind of positive comments....

with their words and actions going forward...NOT just because they signed some contract.
Their history of bashing the Gophers has been their body of work re: Gopher Football. Give them a hard time until they PROVE that they are going to do right by Golden Gopher Football. pa is SO hard to listen to. He calls a football game the way he calls a horse-race. And, personally, I have NO fondness for people who call horse races.

barrerio (sp? who cares?) has to totally prove himself as being worthy to have anything to do with Gopher Football. The common slug is totally worthless.

I've got to admit, kfan has a LONG, uphill battle to prove they are worthy of being the flag-ship Gopher Football station. They have built a LOT of enemies along the way and hve taken too many cheap shots at Gopher Football. I wouldn' trust them at all. I certainly won't be bashful about criticizing them for their execution of the broadcasts and for the way they present Golden Gopher Football. kfan is starting out with a failing grade and it is up to them to make up for a LOT of cheap shots they have taken. Personally, I will find it very hard to listen to that station, it has been SO long since I have listened to those Gopher bashers.

Quite frankly, I am already hoping that KSTP gets the next contract for Gopher Football...or...perhaps a revamped, re-dedicated, re-vitalized WCCO will come back with a vengence to reclaim Gopher Football.

Keep the pressure on kfan. Hit them hard when they don't do a decent job representing Golden Gopher Football. And bash their personalities when their personalities NEED to be bashed. kfan has to EARN respect by walking the walk as well as merely talking some bs talk.

I've got to admit, kfan has a LONG, uphill battle to prove they are worthy of being the flag-ship Gopher Football station. They have built a LOT of enemies along the way and hve taken too many cheap shots at Gopher Football. I wouldn' trust them at all. I certainly won't be bashful about criticizing them for their execution of the broadcasts and for the way they present Golden Gopher Football. kfan is starting out with a failing grade and it is up to them to make up for a LOT of cheap shots they have taken. Personally, I will find it very hard to listen to that station, it has been SO long since I have listened to those Gopher bashers.

In fairness to KFAN the Gopher football program has to build up its own credibility by turning it around before we can expect the FAN's tone change.

KSTP is way more negative.

First off, they will never even mention the Gophers before noon because they want to do national sports. Yankees vs Red Sox.

Then they have the SINGLE MOST NEGATIVE GOPHER BASHER EVER in Fat Reusse. With that little jerk Mackey. Then Fat and Soucheray will rip, then they don't talk sports again until after 6, when they do Twins games.

Souhan is ridiculously negative. 1130 has been generally positive since Coach Kill was hired, and I'm not one of the ones who think it was the media's fault that Brewster was generally a failure. Anyone who doesn't think 1500 is more negative just hasn't listened to them. They have no regular hosts who have any credibility with me as a Gopher fan. Maybe they will come around now that they took hockey and basketball away from WCCO. But I'm primarily a football fan and I will never listen to a station with Reusse. Even Barreiro looks like a homer when compared with Reusse. They even make commercials on 1500 where Reusse says nobody under his age cares about Gopher football. LIKE THEY'RE PROUD OF HOW NEGATIVE THEY ARE.

I had been unhappy about KFAN's negativity, but since Coach Kill was hired, they've been solidly behind him. And that was BEFORE they got the games.

In fairness to KFAN the Gopher football program has to build up its own credibility by turning it around before we can expect the FAN's tone change.

No one questions that the Gophers need to amp it up. But that does not make them fair game for level of bashing, put downs, smart-a$$ed comments and ridicule that Wren eluded to. IMO, that was very unprofessional.

KFAN will do their best to bring in more listeners. But they will have to elevate their game if the program falters. Not sure that Barium has that in him.

The last straw for me was when Gopher fans would call in and get ridiculed. I don't want them to gush over the Gophers 24/7. I just want them to provide fair, informed coverage. Now that they are covering the Gophers, they will figure out where their bread is buttered.

The last straw for me was when Gopher fans would call in and get ridiculed. I don't want them to gush over the Gophers 24/7. I just want them to provide fair, informed coverage. Now that they are covering the Gophers, they will figure out where their bread is buttered.

I hope that KFAN plans on hiring additional personnel, specifically a sidekick for PA, who can take the burden off the current staff and adds informed information to the Gopher football discussion for the daily line-up.

IMHO - while often negative when it comes to U of M sports, KFAN has historically displayed more of a lack of interest in the Gophers than anything else. Part of this is pure business-related, nothing else. They want to promote "their teams" and the "hot" sports topics of the day. This is what gets ratings. If the Gophers were not the hot topic, they get placed on the back burner since they were not one of KFAN's "teams." (It becomes somewhat of a self-fulling prophecy after while however, no Gophers fan would listen to KFAN because of the lack of support - and when KFAN did occasionally do something Gopher-related it would fall on deaf ears causing them to rethink their priorities even more.)

I remember one time when their Friday Sports headlines ("Top Five at Five") did not even bother to mention that there is a Gopher football game the following day, but did include an item that Ron Dayne was considering a comeback.

Let's hope this all changes for the better now that Gopher football will be one of "their teams."

with their words and actions going forward...NOT just because they signed some contract.
Their history of bashing the Gophers has been their body of work re: Gopher Football. Give them a hard time until they PROVE that they are going to do right by Golden Gopher Football. pa is SO hard to listen to. He calls a football game the way he calls a horse-race. And, personally, I have NO fondness for people who call horse races.

barrerio (sp? who cares?) has to totally prove himself as being worthy to have anything to do with Gopher Football. The common slug is totally worthless.

Quite frankly, I am already hoping that KSTP gets the next contract for Gopher Football...or...perhaps a revamped, re-dedicated, re-vitalized WCCO will come back with a vengence to reclaim Gopher Football.

Keep the pressure on kfan. Hit them hard when they don't do a decent job representing Golden Gopher Football. And bash their personalities when their personalities NEED to be bashed. kfan has to EARN respect by walking the walk as well as merely talking some bs talk.

To be fair both Danny B. and yourself can agree that the measuring stick is BigTen wins - BigTen losses. Based on this you can understand why someone who has made a name for themselves by ripping others has been negative towards to the gophers.

KSTP is way more negative.

First off, they will never even mention the Gophers before noon because they want to do national sports. Yankees vs Red Sox.

Then they have the SINGLE MOST NEGATIVE GOPHER BASHER EVER in Fat Reusse. With that little jerk Mackey. Then Fat and Soucheray will rip, then they don't talk sports again until after 6, when they do Twins games.

Souhan is ridiculously negative. 1130 has been generally positive since Coach Kill was hired, and I'm not one of the ones who think it was the media's fault that Brewster was generally a failure. Anyone who doesn't think 1500 is more negative just hasn't listened to them. They have no regular hosts who have any credibility with me as a Gopher fan. Maybe they will come around now that they took hockey and basketball away from WCCO. But I'm primarily a football fan and I will never listen to a station with Reusse. Even Barreiro looks like a homer when compared with Reusse. They even make commercials on 1500 where Reusse says nobody under his age cares about Gopher football. LIKE THEY'RE PROUD OF HOW NEGATIVE THEY ARE.

I had been unhappy about KFAN's negativity, but since Coach Kill was hired, they've been solidly behind him. And that was BEFORE they got the games.

It was also while they were negotiating to get the games, if you don't think that the on-air staff new about the negotiations that is a little naive. I'm not saying that is has influenced their on air takes, but it is hard to rip someone you may have to do a coaches show with soon. (see Barriero & Childress).

I'm still a long way from tuning in unless they have a dedicated Gopher football show. I will listen to the games, like on 'CCO (when I could stand it or had to), but I won't be a regular listener.

I know there are a lot of you who live and breath on KFAN, but there is a reason KSTP went to all sports...KFAN is an after-thought in local radio, even in the 30-50 demographic.

Throwing out the game broadcasts, they don't even crack the top-20 stations in town. Even with the game broadcasts, they have not finished above 15th in any rating service. If it wasn't for the game broadcasts, they would be off the air. It's called "poor product". I'm just sayin'.

I know there are a lot of you who live and breath on KFAN, but there is a reason KSTP went to all sports...KFAN is an after-thought in local radio, even in the 30-50 demographic.

Throwing out the game broadcasts, they don't even crack the top-20 stations in town. Even with the game broadcasts, they have not finished above 15th in any rating service. If it wasn't for the game broadcasts, they would be off the air. It's called "poor product". I'm just sayin'.

It wouldn't make much sense if KSTP changed to sports radio to compete with KFAN if KFAN had no market share to compete for. If one station has no ratings you don't copy their format and expect to succeed...

I could only find summer of 2009 ratings and in those WCCO was the top AM station at #4, KSTP was the next highest at #16 and KFAN was next #17. I can't remember if KSTP already had the twins in '09, but I don't believe KFAN had any type of broadcasts during the summer, so seems like they are fairly solid.

http://www.tcstangs.com/forum/showthread.php?t=93281

Sorry about the Justin Bieber pic/vid on that page - it's out of my control. :eek:

The biggest thing is that yes WCCO had more listeners than even several FM stations, but most hours of the day they're not discussing sports, thus not talking Gophers. KFAN and KSTP have incentive to talk Gophers 24/7 now. Obviously they won't, but it should still be more than what they would have gotten on WCCO.

I will NEVER forget the way kfan has treated the Gophers over the years...

SO: I will urge that this "macturi induced" partnership with kfan needs to be met by figuratively smacking them upside the head, smashing them in the nose and calling them every name in the book by any Gopher fans who recall "the way they were" towards Gopher Sports and Gopher Fans. Why? Because the kfan tradition has been so bad for so long it is time to "get some religion" for anyone associated with that station for the way that station has treated the Gopher Programs for so very long.

It will be up to kfan and all associated with kfan to start acting really nice on a consistant basis re: all things Gophers. And, just because they were so bad for so long, it will be up to them to win me over. The only way they can do that is by putting a gag order on barrerio (sp? does it really matter?). Then, they need to have the common slug totally be silent about anything related to the Gophers. They need to make him disappear about anything related to Big Ten sports. (golf doesn't count as a sport...so...the common slug doesn't count for anything. Let him forever spend all his time chasing down lost golf balls.)

Then, kfan HAS to apologize EVERY day for ever having had chad hartman (barrerio's former partner in crimes perpetrated on their part toward Gopher sports) employed by their station. Sid's kid combined with barrerio (sp? Why bother?) was a terribly toxic trademark of that station for a LONG time. It got so bad that THEY couldn't even stand to work together.

They should probably think about bringing Thor Tollo back as an act of contrition and pennance and to prove that they will be willing to do what ever it takes to promote the home team. Bring Thor home NOW, kfan and dump the common slug.

Finally, they need to launch an on air campaign to ditch badger joel maturi NOW!

; 0 )

That would prove once and for ever that they FINALLY want good things for the Golden Gopher Sports Programs.

But, don't give them a blank check just because they signed some contract. Let them know that you remeber where they are coming from and that you deeply resent the way they have been for so VERY long. Bash 'em in the nose for old times sake and let them kiss the Gopher's butts to try to make up for all their station's past sins.

No one questions that the Gophers need to amp it up. But that does not make them fair game for level of bashing, put downs, smart-a$$ed comments and ridicule that Wren eluded to. IMO, that was very unprofessional.

Over 40 years of mediocrity makes them fair game for all of those things. I'm a Gopher fan, but the truth is, the program has earned its reputation and ridicule.

And I'll stop calling KFAN a clueless, classless, uninformed group that can do nothing more than push their oh-so-clever sound buttons all day long, when they stop their 20 year streak of providing less than mediocre radio.

I'll NEVER be sorry for telling you all about the way brewster REALLY was and what he was doing to this football program. And, to this day I don't blame brewster...I totally blame maturi and prexy b. It was a disaster from day ONE. And you know it. I also knew it. But, I was not afraid to say it. Maybe you didn't like it when I said it...but...somebody NEEDED to say it. So, I said it.

maximus: You may not like to hear the truth...but...it all was the truth and it DID need to be said. brewster, maturi and perxy b created a total disaster as they opened the new sadium. I won't forgive them for that and I won't forget.

I was honest maximus. Many of you tried to cover up the truth...but...in the end, the truth could NOT be covered up. In the end the truth mainfested itself in the dismissal of brewster mid-season in 2010.

Coach Kill will be just fine. He is honest. He knows who he is. He knows how HE wants to coach. He has my total backing and support. He will put his players in the best position to win as many games as they possibly can starting in year one. He will NOT throw a season away. He will NOT move coordinators in and out like a revolving door.

And, the total number of Big Ten wins minus Big Ten losses in any one year or over the tenure of any coach will accurately tell us what kind of a Big Ten coach that coach is/has been.

Your tone during the Brewster era was identical to KFAN's.

It's hilarious how he goes apoplectic when someone criticizes his favorites (Mason, Weber). And yet, in his eyes, anyone he doesn't like is fair game for him to rip and ridicule mercilessly. The double standard is amazing.

I'll NEVER be sorry for telling you all about the way brewster REALLY was and what he was doing to this football program. And, to this day I don't blame brewster...I totally blame maturi and prexy b. It was a disaster rom day ONE. And you know it. I also knew it. But, I was not afraid to say it. Maybe you didn't like it when I said it...but...somebody NEEDED to say it. So, I said it.

maximus: You may not like to hear the truth...but...it all was the truth and it DID need to be said. brewster, maturi and perxy b were a total disaster as they opened the new sadium. I won't forgive them for that and I won't forget.

I was honest maximus. Many of you tried to cover up the truth...but...in the end, the truth could NOT be covered up.

I would guess that would be Danny B's response in defense of the things he said.

It is Spring!

Thank god we don't have to wait until KFAN apologues to wren before spring start (or should I say hell freezes over). I think the chances of KFAN apologizing to wren per his comment is about the same as wren apologizing to us for all those strings he high jacked with his long rambling repetitive agenda.

But it is spring and spring practice starts in a week so maybe we can get back to reality.

Amazing to say the least!

It's hilarious how he goes apoplectic when someone criticizes his favorites (Mason, Weber). And yet, in his eyes, anyone he doesn't like is fair game for him to rip and ridicule mercilessly. The double standard is amazing.

He is definitely the most inconsistent person here. I don't think he has a clue how funny his erratic behavior is. His persona and logic must come from Catch 22.

Could it be?

Based on wren's behavior is he really Charlie Sheen? If he is, that would explain a lot of things.

Based on wren's behavior is he really Charlie Sheen? If he is, that would explain a lot of things.

Charlie Sheen would have something much better than BigTen wins minus BigTen losses as his basis for life. Plus he would of had much more interesting names for the President and AD.

Silvo

Charlie Sheen would have something much better than BigTen wins minus BigTen losses as his basis for life. Plus he would of had much more interesting names for the President and AD.

You are probably correct but if wren could afford the drugs that Charlie buys, who knows what wren would say.

Top Bottom