Ken Evans Jr. campaign thread!

Well, Wisconsin has been a very good program for a very long time. As for Nebraska, based on this site they've got a little more than $1 million to spend than the Gophers do. Not sure how they break it down there but the site suggests a 66/ 24/ 10 split between football/ basketball/ other sports. Doesn't seem like a huge amount. Nebraska's improvement since Hoiberg took over is definitely trending in the right direction.

Wisconsin just lost their best player to big money.

Hoiberg had some lousy years. Last place or near last. This past year was his first good season. Now it seems he has some pretty good money to spend.

Wisconsin just lost their best player to big money.

Hoiberg had some lousy years. Last place or near last. This past year was his first good season. Now it seems he has some pretty good money to spend.
Not saying Hoiberg didn't have lousy years, but his last 3 years have been an improvement over his first two.Screenshot_20240606_062920_Chrome.jpg

Not saying Hoiberg didn't have lousy years, but his last 3 years have been an improvement over his first two.View attachment 31660
Can you imagine the pitchforks on this site if Coach Johnson started out with Hoiberg's records.

2-18
3-16
4-16
9-11
Then last season 12-8.

But you're giving him credit for that improved 4-16 record??

Can you imagine the pitchforks on this site if Coach Johnson started out with Hoiberg's records.

2-18
3-16
4-16
9-11
Then last season 12-8.

But you're giving him credit for that improved 4-16 record??
I'm saying their record is trending in the right direction. Just like I'd say the Gophers are trending in the right direction (based on last year compared to the year before). Hopefully we have a 12-win B1G season (or better) next year like Hoiberg did last year. We'll see.

Simple solution.
If we have the money, then spend it!
If we don't have the money, then don't spend it!

If he was good he wouldn't be headed to FAU? FAU has been a pretty good program.
He would be going to a school with more money and way better exposure if he was as good as you and Sane make it out to be and you know it. Sure he lists a lot of schools showing interest, but he has been in the portal since March if they were really that interested why haven't they made a move yet? Some of those schools have money (something you guys are just oh so sure we don't have) so that can't be the excuse.

I am just saying maybe temper your expectations a bit. I want them to get another player too but I am not going to pretend Ken Evans. Jr.'s commitment is what will save a season.

Walter Payton rb Chicago Bears
Walter Payton went to Jackson State, not FAU so not sure how that matters. Plus he graduated 5 years before I was born. And played a different sport.

Are you ok?

Walter Payton went to Jackson State, not FAU so not sure how that matters. Plus he graduated 5 years before I was born. And played a different sport.

Are you ok?
I am NEARLY OK, BUT i confused Walter Payton's school from Jackson State to FAU and for that I will plead SENILITY.
I have shown symptoms of senility ever since kindergarten, so that is likely slow onset.

You make it seem as if CBJ has a stockpile of money that's sitting unused in his account. We just don't have the money. If we did, Hawkins, & Payne would still be here. If we did, we'd have signed a top PG when we lost Hawkins.

imo CBJ will be given another year if the team is as competitive as it was last year. People understand that currently it's not that CBJ isn't coaching well, it's that he isn't coaching on a level playing field. Sadly, the dream of letting CBJ put together a young roster, and coach them to victory as upper-classmen (the Clem Haskins model) is as extinct as the T-Rex, due to NIL.

So how do you win without a local mega-donor, or massive fan base?

The way for Minnesota to be competitive in the NIL game, is to convert the local fortune 500 companies into large NIL contributors, a la Fed Ex with Memphis. If I'm CBJ, I'm trying to put together an experienced, hard working, tough minded, loveable underdog, that sells well to the public. Show Cargil, Honeywell, General Mills, 3M, Target, et al that we're worth supporting.

Or, we accept that this is as good as it gets.

What people? The average fan? I don't think so. If you think fans are going to treat the Gophers like they used to the Twins (they aren't world-beaters but boy are they PLUCKY!!) you have another thing coming. Those teams at least won a lot of games and made the playoffs) Last year they got grace because they were better for most of the year than any other year under Johnson but another year where they don't come close to the NCAAs and no one is giving him another year. Last year was fun, but they still ended up losing rather early in the NITs to be pretending we turned a corner.

And why would any of those companies give money to the U? Honest question. What would they gain? Are the heads of those companies U alumni? Do the Gophers have the cache to bring any sort of awareness to the school in the local community? Would they not be better off just advertising with the Timberwolves?

I'm saying their record is trending in the right direction. Just like I'd say the Gophers are trending in the right direction (based on last year compared to the year before). Hopefully we have a 12-win B1G season (or better) next year like Hoiberg did last year. We'll see.
We likely would have had a 12-win B1G season (or better) next year if we would have kept our starting lineup. Or kept everyone else and replaced Christie with another $500K+ player.

We CERTAINLY would have been better than that 12-8 Nebraska team.

We likely would have had a 12-win B1G season (or better) next year if we would have kept our starting lineup. Or kept everyone else and replaced Christie with another $500K+ player.

We CERTAINLY would have been better than that 12-8 Nebraska team.
Coulda', shoulda', woulda'.

That's all conjecture.

He would be going to a school with more money and way better exposure if he was as good as you and Sane make it out to be and you know it. Sure he lists a lot of schools showing interest, but he has been in the portal since March if they were really that interested why haven't they made a move yet? Some of those schools have money (something you guys are just oh so sure we don't have) so that can't be the excuse.

I am just saying maybe temper your expectations a bit. I want them to get another player too but I am not going to pretend Ken Evans. Jr.'s commitment is what will save a season.
It would improve the season. The guy was conference player of the year. That conference, while nowhere near Big Ten level has produced a lot of really good ball players. Kris Humphries didn't save a season here as talented as he was. You look for guys that can make an impact on the team.

You make it seem as if CBJ has a stockpile of money that's sitting unused in his account. We just don't have the money. If we did, Hawkins, & Payne would still be here. If we did, we'd have signed a top PG when we lost Hawkins.

imo CBJ will be given another year if the team is as competitive as it was last year. People understand that currently it's not that CBJ isn't coaching well, it's that he isn't coaching on a level playing field. Sadly, the dream of letting CBJ put together a young roster, and coach them to victory as upper-classmen (the Clem Haskins model) is as extinct as the T-Rex, due to NIL.

So how do you win without a local mega-donor, or massive fan base?

The way for Minnesota to be competitive in the NIL game, is to convert the local fortune 500 companies into large NIL contributors, a la Fed Ex with Memphis. If I'm CBJ, I'm trying to put together an experienced, hard working, tough minded, loveable underdog, that sells well to the public. Show Cargil, Honeywell, General Mills, 3M, Target, et al that we're worth supporting.

Or, we accept that this is as good as it gets.
It is a pipedream to believe large corporations based in the Cities could be convinced to become reliable NIL contributors. They do not support Gopher athletics at any level and have no interest in Gopher basketball or football.

It is a pipedream to believe large corporations based in the Cities could be convinced to become reliable NIL contributors. They do not support Gopher athletics at any level and have no interest in Gopher basketball or football.
True.

In fact, their outspoken employee groups would be outraged at spending money on Gopher basketball & football.

Maybe the one school he wants to go to hasn't come up with the $$$ offer he thinks he deserves, so he is waiting them out until they do. Maybe they are waiting for my donation check to clear the bank!

It's the only chance we have.
What people? The average fan? I don't think so. If you think fans are going to treat the Gophers like they used to the Twins (they aren't world-beaters but boy are they PLUCKY!!) you have another thing coming. Those teams at least won a lot of games and made the playoffs) Last year they got grace because they were better for most of the year than any other year under Johnson but another year where they don't come close to the NCAAs and no one is giving him another year. Last year was fun, but they still ended up losing rather early in the NITs to be pretending we turned a corner.

And why would any of those companies give money to the U? Honest question. What would they gain? Are the heads of those companies U alumni? Do the Gophers have the cache to bring any sort of awareness to the school in the local community? Would they not be better off just advertising with the Timberwolves?
I don't think the average fan cares about Gopher basketball.

Those that do understand our problem is not coaching. John Wooden would be lucky to get to the NIT without serious NIL money.

This is as good as it's ever gonna get, unless we find a way to make our NIL competitive.

Fed Ex's $25 million donation to Memphis' NIL could be a game changer. It signals it can be done. From what I understand, the U, and/or our NIL collective is actively trying to work something to bring corporate NIL sponsorship to the Gophers. Will it work? I don't know. I do know that no one else has offered up any potential solutions to the challenge we face with NIL.

Gophers Hire New Employee to Seek Out Fortune 500 NIL Contributions

How might Target, 3M, other giants invest in Gophers NIL deals?

I'm starting to think they are done adding players and that Garcia may be the wild card at wing.
Frank Mitchell and Fox in the front court;
backed up by Edmonds and Garcia.
Odukale and Garcia at big wings.
Mike Mitchell, Williams and Rigsby at small wings.
Patterson and eventually Asuma at PG.

New ideas LOL.

That's another one to add to the cliché list. Teamwork. Rugged. Defensive mindset. Players who want to be here.

I don't want to be a downer. Hope springs eternal. But I don't like Ben being scapegoated. Next year would have been the year that he made everyone eat their words.
But how does that work? If we had been able to pay to keep all our guys, it wouldn’t have been to Bens credit, it would be because of the NIL money.

I mean how could Ben make everyone eat their words? It would only prove your point that you make over and over again that NIL and money wins all. If we get Ken Evans, it just means that we will have had more money than poor Jackson State. But geniuses like you and others on this board who only think wins and losses matter would say Ben is better than the Jackson State coach.

But how does that work? If we had been able to pay to keep all our guys, it wouldn’t have been to Bens credit, it would be because of the NIL money.

I mean how could Ben make everyone eat their words? It would only prove your point that you make over and over again that NIL and money wins all. If we get Ken Evans, it just means that we will have had more money than poor Jackson State. But geniuses like you and others on this board who only think wins and losses matter would say Ben is better than the Jackson State coach.
I mean if it didn't blatantly all become solely about money.

Ben put together a team all by himself. Without any money. Without any advantages like the winning schools have. He found guys that over-performed like Hawkins & Christie. MN guys Payne & Garcia stayed/returned home and developed. He found Mitchell & Fox. Great improvement with no seniors.

A young first-time head coach who inherits an empty roster actually looks BETTER...long-term...if he starts out with 2 lousy seasons. Followed by a decent season. And then a great season. That shows he did it by himself.

That's what I was hoping for. Before money officially blew it all up.

If he starts out great immediately...that shows that it's all about the school...and that any puppet could step in.

It's the only chance we have.

I don't think the average fan cares about Gopher basketball.

Those that do understand our problem is not coaching. John Wooden would be lucky to get to the NIT without serious NIL money.

This is as good as it's ever gonna get, unless we find a way to make our NIL competitive.

This is completely wrong. Apathy because the team stinks /= not caring in general. It wasn't all that long ago that plenty of fans cared and they will again if the team even shows a pulse. Last year interest went up when the team looked like a D-1 team...wonder why that was. Must have been a fluke...

If this is "the best it is going to get" then fold the program. What a sad and pathetic attitude to have. Most schools are in a similar boat to us...yet they don't cry like 3 year olds and pretend everything is screwed and rigged against us.

Fed Ex's $25 million donation to Memphis' NIL could be a game changer. It signals it can be done. From what I understand, the U, and/or our NIL collective is actively trying to work something to bring corporate NIL sponsorship to the Gophers. Will it work? I don't know. I do know that no one else has offered up any potential solutions to the challenge we face with NIL.

Gophers Hire New Employee to Seek Out Fortune 500 NIL Contributions

How might Target, 3M, other giants invest in Gophers NIL deals?

Yes the FedEx donation has been discussed already. Fedex sees a value in being tied with Memphis basketball...probably because they think of Memphis as home and well, there isn't a lot of other teams to advertise with outside the Grizzlies. (and I would bet the college has way more interest year to year) Being affiliated with Memphis Basketball, at least in their mind, brings something to the table as it is at worst the #2 sport in that area.

You are talking about different markets, different styles of companies, different level of marketability and so on. The U can try all day long, but the company has to see a reason to be a part of it...they won't just do it for no reason. So either they need to have a connection to the school (which is usually why it happens) or they think that by funding the schools athletics they can get something out of it. What can the U offer that the Wolves or Vikings or Twins can't? Until you can answer that question it doesn't matter how much Coyle and Co. try it will go nowhere.

Last edited:

If we had paid to keep everyone Ben would get all the credit in his mind. NIL would never even be brought up.

Huh... Still not a gopher..

Sane and bga you ready to concede that the gophers won't be adding another player...

And sane if Garcia is our wing .. we're fucked ..

Huh... Still not a gopher..

Sane and bga you ready to concede that the gophers won't be adding another player...

I'm conceding nothing.
I am just trying to figure out how to compete with the current roster, in case we are stuck with it.

[/QUOTE]
He doesn't look like an NBA power forward, but he has perimeter shooting skills which may translate to an NBA wing.
Choosing a wing between Garcia, Fox, Big Mitchell or Edmonds, I think Garcia is the best choice. The other three need to be near the basket to utilize their offensive skills.

Last edited:

Top Bottom