Ken Evans Jr. campaign thread!

Five seasons in the last 20 had a better big ten record than last season. In historical context I would say yes it wasn't a bad season, and actually a pretty good season.
What does any of this have to do with the recruitment of Ken Evans?

The Gophers probably offered him $200K. But he'd have gotten over $500K on the open market.
I actually know that it was north of that. They would have competed for Christy- but likely not past 500k without a big gift.

This guy hasn't committed yet? Isn't it getting late? What are the theories for why he hasn't signed anywhere yet?

For somebody who has not been following this...has there been any indication from Evans' camp that the Gophers are being considered?

For somebody who has not been following this...has there been any indication from Evans' camp that the Gophers are being considered?
As of the last report on him it was down to 4 schools including us. I believe he remains unsigned so.... Chances are slim but he would be a great pickup.

As far as I can tell way back in the early Portal stage maybe Ryan James mentioned that we reached out to him - but no visit was ever really discussed. There has been very little chatter regarding him and certainly nothing coming from him/his camp. I did see that someone through out that FAU is potential landing spot.

There are other big wings in the portal, if Evans goes to FAU.
Wooga Poplar and Jamir Watkins are available!
Actually there is a good player from FAU who is available that has a past relationship with the Gopher staff...

But they were on a winning streak right before that. And they had a nice win at Butler after that.

Payne & Hawkins left for the money.
But they ended on a significant losing streak.

You say they left for the money, but they didn't have the money before they declared for the portal.

You think that had to do with Hawkins' decision? He said he was coming back well after the losing streak... Did he forget all about it and then suddenly remember it after after he announced he was returning? Maybe it factored into Payne's decision. Good riddance to the rest of them.
It's all speculation and opinion why players did what they did. In the end it's on the coach to build and retain the roster and it's on the administration to hire and retain the coach that can successfully build and retain the roster.

It's all speculation and opinion why players did what they did. In the end it's on the coach to build and retain the roster and it's on the administration to hire and retain the coach that can successfully build and retain the roster.
I tend to agree to a certain extent. However, if you don't think collectives are impacting things when it comes to players coming and going I don't know what to tell you. And not all collectives are equal, and if you think they are, then once again, I don't know what to tell you.

If Hawkins is chatting with his buddy who got 400k and he was being told 200k and then his agent says I can get you the 400k or better- what on earth do you expect the kid to do. The fact that day one he said- I'm staying spoke loud and clear that he wanted to help the coach build a unified squad for the coming year. When it didn't hold together and he knew he could get more- he was gone and there wasn't a thing Ben could do about it.

The administration should never have hired Ben into this situation. But what happened this spring ain't on Ben. That's on the administration 100%. They were slow to adopt NIL. Period.

I agree with - "In the end it's on the coach to build a roster" which now goes hand-in-hand with administration providing the financial resources.

I am more worried that they are taking visits from high school recruits this weekend. I hope that doesn't mean they have finished portal recruiting. They still have room and the need for a portal transfer big wing if they want to contend THIS SEASON!
If they are serious this season, they NEED TO SIGN Ken Evans Jr., or a play-alike facsimile, ASAP!
Good news. We signed a 23 y/o big wing with 64 high major starts under his belt. He averaged 10.7 pts & 6.4 rebs a game, plays excellent defense & can run the point for us when needed.

True. But I think it's okay to get a little off topic...because there's nothing that indicates we'd sign a $500K player.
We wouldn't, especially an unknown. As much as people here are high on Evans, he has never started a game for a high major. He was POY on a mediocre team, in a crummy conference. He could be great, hell, he's probably great, but you don't pay a guy that kind of money when he's not a proven commodity, and you already have a high major, starter on your roster.

Good news. We signed a 23 y/o big wing with 64 high major starts under his belt. He averaged 10.7 pts & 6.4 rebs a game, plays excellent defense & can run the point for us when needed.
Bad news. We needed two big wings and only have one.
Our other wing is 6'2" and will get destroyed defensively by the opponents' 6'6" big wing, just like last season!

Top Bottom