KC and AK

It was a nice play that hid Taylor in traffic. It might have been designed for him, we'll probably never know. Driver was open on the sideline too but probably doesn't make it across the goal line.

To your point, I think most Gopher QBs we've seen would have forced it to Spencer who was open only for a brief moment but right in front of the QBs eyes.
Wasn't it more like Taylor had been staying in the backfield most of the game to pick up a blitzing linebacker, and on that final play, UCLA surprisingly dropped the LB into coverage in the middle of the field? When Taylor moved to the spot where he expected that linebacker to be coming from, he quickly realized he could release into the flat and be available as an option. Seemed like a surprising decision by the defense and a quick, accurate read of the situation by the RB and QB, more than trying to hide Taylor in the backfield were what allowed that final TD to happen.

Wasn't it more like Taylor had been staying in the backfield most of the game to pick up a blitzing linebacker, and on that final play, UCLA surprisingly dropped the LB into coverage in the middle of the field? When Taylor moved to the spot where he expected that linebacker to be coming from, he quickly realized he could release into the flat and be available as an option. Seemed like a surprising decision by the defense and a quick, accurate read of the situation by the RB and QB, more than trying to hide Taylor in the backfield were what allowed that final TD to happen.
I thought the defense was odd there too.

LB wasn't really even spying the RB, it was like they really didn't account for him / just assumed he would play blitz pickup... but a few yards out you don't HAVE to do that...

From my seat miles away I honestly thought maybe the TE ran out the backside for the Gophers ... because I expected faking a shift to the line's left would include the RB to draw more defensive attention.

Yeah it was a bummer that it worked.

How “Minnesotan” of you. We have no idea what would have happened on a blitz. No idea. Roll with it and be happy if you can.

Yeah it was a bummer that it worked.

How “Minnesotan” of you. We have no idea what would have happened on a blitz. No idea. Roll with it and be happy if you can.
Taylor scored. We won. I can live with that result.

One random thing. Everyone keeps saying AK has great “arm talent”. What is this based on? That he can throw a ball hard? He has zero touch, minimal ability to get the ball up and down over coverage, can’t throw off platform. I’d guess you could hunt and find a lot of kids who can throw it hard and from 3/4 angle.

TBF Kirk and Fleck and Harbaugh apparently all thought he’d be better than he is. Happens in the NFL too. People thought Tebow could be fixed. Seems mostly when things get rushed and the line can’t protect Athan’s mechanics go haywire. Hard to really see that in a more relaxed practice setting although maybe hints are there. In games with pressure getting close and internal clock firing the Tarvaris Jackson feet, the wierd sidearm throws, the dipping head/hunching shoulders make their appearance. Never could throw a crosser or slant on the numbers.

One random thing. Everyone keeps saying AK has great “arm talent”. What is this based on? That he can throw a ball hard? He has zero touch, minimal ability to get the ball up and down over coverage, can’t throw off platform. I’d guess you could hunt and find a lot of kids who can throw it hard and from 3/4 angle.
I think KC did him a disservice by bringing him to Rutgers. He would be better served at a lower level of football.

Last edited:

It was a nice play that hid Taylor in traffic. It might have been designed for him, we'll probably never know. Driver was open on the sideline too but probably doesn't make it across the goal line.

To your point, I think most Gopher QBs we've seen would have forced it to Spencer who was open only for a brief moment but right in front of the QBs eyes.
The play was not designed for Taylor, PJ backed that up at the PC. Taylor was set to block a LB who peeled off so he was free to hit the flat. He was the 4th read on the play and if you watch the replay you can see Brosmer looking at the other guys first.

If UCLA blitzes there everything is different. Not sure what the option was then. Thankfully UCLA guessed wrong :)

The play was not designed for Taylor, PJ backed that up at the PC. Taylor was set to block a LB who peeled off so he was free to hit the flat. He was the 4th read on the play and if you watch the replay you can see Brosmer looking at the other guys first.

If UCLA blitzes there everything is different. Not sure what the option was then. Thankfully UCLA guessed wrong :)
It's so refreshing to have a QB that actually progresses through his reads (when the OL manages to give him the time to do so) and makes (mostly) smart decisions.

It's so refreshing to have a QB that actually progresses through his reads (when the OL manages to give him the time to do so) and makes (mostly) smart decisions.
He stared down one play too long against UCLA.

Everyone in the stands started talking about AK ;)

I think this is the biggest thing that hurts AK. I think he is physically talented enough to play at this level, but his feel for the game isn’t there. Even just knowing when to tuck and run isn’t something AK does well. Brosmer even does better than AK at that even though I would guess AK is the faster runner.

On prior pass plays, Taylor headed out into the pattern from the backfield. On this one, he showed pass protection then snuck between the tackle and guard. That probably froze the LB. Whatever was the intention, it was a great play by them.

Top Bottom