KC and AK

Holy cow, I just looked up the stats. In conference play only vs Nebraska and Washington, AK has:

Completion percentage: 47.5%
Yards per game: 150.5
Passer rating: 93.5

On a side note, how in the hell did Washington lose to Rutgers with their crappy offense? Washington outgained Rutgers 521 yards to 299 and had no turnovers. That doesn't even seem possible.
Washington had to settle for FG instead of TDs and their kicker went 1-4 on those FG attempts. Washington was clearly the better team but couldn't finish their drives with points.

You don't have to go to the archives. I freely admit I was REALLY eager to have him under center, and after the fine performance he put in at Wisconsin, I expected much more of the same in 2023. I think that was a reasonable opinion. It also turned out to be an incorrect opinion. All that being said, I think it is totally relevant to track his continued performance at his new school.

AK turned out to be a below average B1G QB last year, and by all accounts, when he has been asked to step up the Rutger's passing game this season, there has been a lot more of 2023 in his performance than evidence of a big step forward. I think that is interesting and relevant to follow.

Basically my feel-sorry-for-myself Minnesota sports fan self has predicted he'd have the game of his life to QB Rutgers past the Gophers this year when his two teams meet. We'll see, but in the meantime any news on his progress is really interesting to me.
thanks for the courteous explanation. Too little of that here. I understand the interest in a former Gopher. Cheers.

I got several civil comments about my suggestion that we drop the AK interest. I appreciate the explanations and am gratified by their tones. I wish there was more civil discourse here on GH and less sniping. There's enough of that in politics. Cheers to all.

Holy cow, I just looked up the stats. In conference play only vs Nebraska and Washington, AK has:

Completion percentage: 47.5%
Yards per game: 150.5
Passer rating: 93.5

On a side note, how in the hell did Washington lose to Rutgers with their crappy offense? Washington outgained Rutgers 521 yards to 299 and had no turnovers. That doesn't even seem possible.
There was some very shaky reffing in this game that seemed to go Rutger's way.

thanks for the courteous explanation. Too little of that here. I understand the interest in a former Gopher. Cheers.
See... now I feel bad for any/all whining and sniping I have done in other instances where I probably haven't been as courteous as I should have been. Damn you! Just kidding. Message boards are notorious for people being less civilized than they probably are in "regular life" because they aren't interacting with someone named "Bill" across a table, and are instead interacting with a faceless entity named "Schnauzer" across the internet. A good lesson that it is actually real people behind all these comments.

By the third quarter of the Nebraska game last year there was absolutely a "why the F is he throwing the ball at 90mph to wide open receivers five yards past the line of scrimmage?" vibe.

And then there was the skyball over the wide open TE against Illinois🤢
If he had better aim he still could have completed a few more of those.

1728423896044.png

Washington had to settle for FG instead of TDs and their kicker went 1-4 on those FG attempts. Washington was clearly the better team but couldn't finish their drives with points.

That field goal situation sounds familiar somehow.

Watched a bit of their last game. Looked exactly like the old Gophers offense. Stare at the sideline as the clock winds down then barely get the play off.

I got several civil comments about my suggestion that we drop the AK interest. I appreciate the explanations and am gratified by their tones. I wish there was more civil discourse here on GH and less sniping. There's enough of that in politics. Cheers to all.
I will drop it as soon as everyone promises to never mention Lou Holtz and Jerry Kill again

Watched a bit of their last game. Looked exactly like the old Gophers offense. Stare at the sideline as the clock winds down then barely get the play off.
Yep. What people want to call Fleckball here needs to br renamed because our offensive philosophy clearly had more to do with KC than Fleck.

Yep. What people want to call Fleckball here needs to br renamed because our offensive philosophy clearly had more to do with KC than Fleck.
I mentioned in the other thread that at the Outback bowl we went for it, pass to the TE even when the tv guys thought we wouldn’t late in the game after KC left….

Yep. What people want to call Fleckball here needs to be renamed because our offensive philosophy clearly had more to do with KC than Fleck.

I'll disagree with that. I think it is and always will be Fleck. Don't forget the Sanford disaster. When Sanford came on board is when the real bleeding of the clock down to the final seconds and multiple looks to the sidelines really got bad, way worse than anything KC did. Sanford made KC look like Mike Shanahan. And, last year Harbaugh looked worse than that. All of that was under PJ.

Simply put, after last season, PJ made a conscious decision to change QBs and change offensive philosophy based on the new QB's strengths. There was little doubt PJ knew he had to evolve this offense from the stone ages. If KC was still around, the change would still have been made, in my opinion.

I'll disagree with that. I think it is and always will be Fleck. Don't forget the Sanford disaster. When Sanford came on board is when the real bleeding of the clock down to the final seconds and multiple looks to the sidelines really got bad, way worse than anything KC did. Sanford made KC look like Mike Shanahan. And, last year Harbaugh looked worse than that. All of that was under PJ.

Simply put, after last season, PJ made a conscious decision to change QBs and change offensive philosophy based on the new QB's strengths. There was little doubt PJ knew he had to evolve this offense from the stone ages. If KC was still around, the change would still have been made, in my opinion.
And yet the Rutgers offense now looks eerily similar to what ours used to look like while KC was here. And it is tough to say what the offense would have looked like last year as they were hamstrung by horrible QB play and a RB room decimated by injuries and poor play.

Fleck is conservative and never likely to try and run a wide open offensive scheme but I honestly believe that some of the things that fans hated most about our offense were still more tied to KC than they were to Fleck and we are seeing this year that Fleck is willing to run a different scheme now that they have the personnel to execute it.

And yet the Rutgers offense now looks eerily similar to what ours used to look like while KC was here. And it is tough to say what the offense would have looked like last year as they were hamstrung by horrible QB play and a RB room decimated by injuries and poor play.

Fleck is conservative and never likely to try and run a wide open offensive scheme but I honestly believe that some of the things that fans hated most about our offense were still more tied to KC than they were to Fleck and we are seeing this year that Fleck is willing to run a different scheme now that they have the personnel to execute it.
people-can-change-i-think-you-should-leave-with-tim-robinson.gif

The one thing this year is proving is that Fleck is willing to let his coordinator run an offense that fits the personnel he has to work with. There were some that have assumed that is something Fleck would not do.

I think part of it is obviously he has not had a ton of confidence in the abilities of the QBs he had. He ran offenses that were tailored to them. Morgan was really only good at 2-3 short to midrange routes so that is what we ran. AK couldn't hit the broadside of a barn so we it was super duper run heavy.

Do I think he is not going to run more than pass ever...no not likely. But I think when he trusts the QB to make decisions he is more open to expanding the offense. Brosmer seems to (at least for parts of games) have PJs trust that he won't make a mistake so he gets more rope to play with.

With Peej that seems to be the M.O. If he trusts your abilities AND he trusts you won't make a mistake he will leave you be. If he thinks your mistakes outweigh your skills he is going to either go ultra conservative or bench you.

Schiano also has always run a notoriously conservative offense even prior to KC arriving

The one thing this year is proving is that Fleck is willing to let his coordinator run an offense that fits the personnel he has to work with. There were some that have assumed that is something Fleck would not do.

When the fanbase is openly talking about a hot seat, buyout numbers; the national media dismissive of the team (and were shocked by the USC win) coach probably saw some changes needed to be made. I’d be peeved if the coach didn’t adapt to realities; who here is the same person in their forties as they were in their 30s. Or in their 50s versus their 40s. We all learn, adapt. There’s no need to deflect all the blame onto the coordinators. He’s the coach, we know he’s involved on game days, decisions. He’s not a perfect man. Who is.

I like that Jerry Kill to Diego Pavia with him to Vanderbilt and beat AL. Jerry. Simply amazing how at his MN stop he could not find a QB.

It was KC, but it was also the personnel. Morgan might have been capable of running a different system, but doing so would have negated some of tradecraft he'd developed. You can say the same about several of the offensive linemen we had through last season, and AK had been groomed in the same system. Realistically, the Covid year kept the program from making several changes at an earlier point in time.

The Gopher Gridiron Radio podcast this week had some good info about how the Gophers have been running more mid and outside zone than they typically do and they ramped it up against USC. This year's line is struggling to execute the inside zone play that was a staple of the offense for so many years. I would love to see a year over year comparison of the composition of our offense. Raw percentages of run/pass are one thing, but I'm interested in where the runs and passes are designed and also our RPO percentage.

AK still has 0 career starts against FBS opponents where he completed passes to more receivers than the opposing QB. He was 0 for 17 here at it and is 0 for 4 at Rutgers too. (he did achieve it in their opener vs FCS Howard after Rutgers put subs in)

Patrick Mahomes and Josh Allen are the two best passing QBs in the world right now and neither have a receiver you want on your fantasy team. Tom Brady never supported a star receiver other than Randy Moss. The best QBs spread it around and process all their reads and that's AK's biggest flaw.

Brosmer is 3-1-2 at that stat, btw

That’s not even close to being true.
Let’s hear his top two at each of those positions. Pretty sure he had no one get drafted that he recruited at those positions except Tyler Johnson who actually signed with Claeys.

Last edited:

Top Bottom