Kaler picked as new Prez

Ole

Reaction score
The University Board of Regents voted unanimously Thursday to name Eric Kaler as president. They approved a four-year deal with a base salary of $610,000, plus supplemental retirement payments of $50,000 in years 2, 3 and 4.

He'll also receive a faculty appointment in the College of Science and Engineering. The contract does not contain performance incentives.

Kaler left the room as the regents deliberated, and he got a standing ovation as he returned to the meeting room. Kaler said he felt "tremendous excitement, tremendous happiness" after the vote.

Oh boy. Watch the T-bombs around campus man!:D
Seriously though seems like a good pick.

You need to copyright "T-bomb," that is funny! I really like this pick as well. Appears to be a job well done by the regents.

From a football standpoint, the U could not have done any better than this fellow.

I looked at the Star Tribune and Pioneer Press websites. Lots of ignorant posters there bashing the hire. There are those insisting that he won't do anything about sports when everyone he has worked with has talked about his support of sports. Then there are those who insist that Stony Brook is just a little college with no academic standing. It's smaller than the U, but not small. And it is a Top 100 university according to US News and World Report.

Then there are the people who bashed him because he was the only finalist. There were other finalists, but they backed out without going public, probably because they realized they had no chance.

Let's all hope that the Head Coach search, is as successful, as the search for a President appears to have been. I like how Pesident Kaler's name never appeared in print until the deal was nearly done.

I looked at the Star Tribune and Pioneer Press websites. Lots of ignorant posters there bashing the hire. There are those insisting that he won't do anything about sports when everyone he has worked with has talked about his support of sports. Then there are those who insist that Stony Brook is just a little college with no academic standing. It's smaller than the U, but not small. And it is a Top 100 university according to US News and World Report.

Then there are the people who bashed him because he was the only finalist. There were other finalists, but they backed out without going public, probably because they realized they had no chance.

When I first heard Stony Brook was a smaller state school, I figured something along the lines of Winona State or Bemidji State with 10,000 or so students. Then to find out Stony Brook has almost 25,000 students. By no means would I call that small. Is it the 67,000 the U is, no, but 25,000 isn't a small school by any stretch.

While his support is important, there's really only two things he will do in the intermediate-term that will have signficant impact. When he sends ol' Joel off into the sunset (hopefully sooner then later) and when he replaces him. If he makes the right hire, he shouldn't and hopefully won't have to meddle much in AD affairs. But if he can rub elbows with enough folks to get the Practice Facility going, that would be great.

This certainly appears to be great news! New stadium last year, now the new President is set & he's a football guy. This should help land a heavyweight coach & I suspect it tips the hand of what type of AD we'll hire (i.e. One who wants to win at football).

This certainly appears to be great news! New stadium last year, now the new President is set & he's a football guy. This should help land a heavyweight coach & I suspect it tips the hand of what type of AD we'll hire (i.e. One who wants to win at football).

Costa Rican Gopher, do you really want to inject politics into every one of your posts on this board with that sig?

Looks to a great all around hire for the U.

Top Bottom