Josh Martin commits to Minny!

Martin's a three star guy on all the other sites, he has always been a three star guy on rivals and 247. On rivals, they compare to two PF's who are in their top 150, so that tells me they think he's in the 150-200, 247 has him at around 210, safely in the top 247. Maybe Espn was to high on him and now they're probably too low, but if you look at all the services, Martin's offer list and the fact that at the very least he's 6'7" and can stretch the floor and has good handles, we have a guy whith a high ceiling so I would say he's a good get.

Exactly. Maybe he isn't one of the top 100 players in the nation, but let's not have such a negative reaction because ONE recruiting service dropped him to two-stars. I usually use rivals as my source for recruiting info. They have him as a three star player, as well as scout and 247. At this point.....his offer list should be what people are focusing on most here. Very good offer list. Quite a few teams saw how good Martin could be. No need to overreact to ESPN's rating.

Exactly. Maybe he isn't one of the top 100 players in the nation, but let's not have such a negative reaction because ONE recruiting service dropped him to two-stars. I usually use rivals as my source for recruiting info. They have him as a three star player, as well as scout and 247. At this point.....his offer list should be what people are focusing on most here. Very good offer list. Quite a few teams saw how good Martin could be. No need to overreact to ESPN's rating.

stocker, if GopherHolers didn't overreact there would not be much said on this message board.

I love how you guys blindly follow the rankings. Seriously, if Martin would have committed 2 weeks ago every person who is ripping him for being a 2 star on ESPN would be praising his commitment because he'd still be a 4 star according to ESPN. Am I the only one that finds this absolutely ridiculous? Either you like what the kid is going to bring to the team (size, athleticism, ball handling, and shooting) or you don't.

Now this is mature, intelligent thinking.

I'm hoping he turns into our version of Mitch McGary. They look like similar players.

As I've read more and more on this board re: basketball recruiting, I've wondered how the rankings for ESPN, Rivals, Scout and 247 were determined. I found this explanation and found it helpful to understand just what the numbers mean that get hung on a kid and get GHers in a tizzy.

The Morning idiots on KFAN made fun of this announcement, belittled Richard Pitino, and were generally real negative pricks. Even Rosen didn't diffuse their nonsense.

NEXT YEAR SO FAR...

SENIORS
-Andre Hollins
-Dre Mathieu
-Mo Walker
-Elliot Eliason
-Oto Osenieks

JUNIORS
-Wally Ellenson
-Joey King

SOPHOMORES
-Charles Buggs
-Daqueinn McNeil

FRESHMEN
-Josh Martin
-?
-?
-?

The Morning idiots on KFAN made fun of this announcement, belittled Richard Pitino, and were generally real negative pricks. Even Rosen didn't diffuse their nonsense.

"Oh looks like Rick Pitino's kid has his first recruit and it's some 2 star power forward from Washington. Not even one of the Big Three of Travis Reed, Rasheed Vaughn or Tyrus Jones. The U of M is such a joke!!! lol" - Every KFAN personality

NEXT YEAR SO FAR...

SENIORS
-Andre Hollins
-Dre Mathieu
-Mo Walker
-Elliot Eliason
-Oto Osenieks

JUNIORS
-Wally Ellenson
-Joey King
- Juco Transfer

SOPHOMORES
-Charles Buggs
-Daqueinn McNeil

FRESHMEN
-Josh Martin
-Rashad Vaughn
-Reid Travis
-?

Looking good ^^ :)

As I've read more and more on this board re: basketball recruiting, I've wondered how the rankings for ESPN, Rivals, Scout and 247 were determined. I found this explanation and found it helpful to understand just what the numbers mean that get hung on a kid and get GHers in a tizzy.[/QUOT
I can agree with this, sounds like 247 averages everyone else's ratings out. I'll say this about 247, while I've always mocked crystal ball, I do like their scouting reports the most and I think they do the best job of updating info on recruits. Where Espn turns on snooze button for long periods of time

As I've read more and more on this board re: basketball recruiting, I've wondered how the rankings for ESPN, Rivals, Scout and 247 were determined. I found this explanation and found it helpful to understand just what the numbers mean that get hung on a kid and get GHers in a tizzy.[/QUOT
I can agree with this, sounds like 247 averages everyone else's ratings out. I'll say this about 247, while I've always mocked crystal ball, I do like their scouting reports the most and I think they do the best job of updating info on recruits. Where Espn turns on snooze button for long periods of time

Agreed. I don't put much stock into ESPN's rankings for that very reason. They never have a player's interested schools updated, or their visits, etc. If they're going to be lazy updating that kind of stuff, I have to believe they are lazy when it comes to ranking players too. 247 and Rivals seem to be the best at keeping things current. I go to both sites to get info on a recruit, but I'm starting to like 247 more and more. They have a lot of info on each recruit and it's easy to find.

Love Martin's highlight video and how well he handles the ball. Doubt the 6'9". Looks more like 6'6". He definitely is a solid get to start the year. Looks much more athletic than OTTO.

Love Martin's highlight video and how well he handles the ball. Doubt the 6'9". Looks more like 6'6". He definitely is a solid get to start the year. Looks much more athletic than OTTO.

Do you know the height of the players in those videos? Otherwise how did you arrive at this opinion?

I see a little bit of Sam Jacobson in him. I know, I know... different position, different skill set.

I'm hoping he turns into our version of Mitch McGary. They look like similar players.

Ha, when I saw that video McGarry was the guy I was comparing him to in my head. If he could be like McGarry, I would be absolutely thrilled. I think McGarry is quite a bit taller...

Josh (HULK) Martin @JoshMartin_206

Today's stats...
Height: 6'9
Weight: 230
Body fat percentage: 6%
Midrange: 422/500
3 pointers: 87/100
#GoodDay

Josh's tweet from a few weeks back. But maybe you know his height from watching his videos better than he does.

Today's stats...
#GoodDay

Josh's tweet from a few weeks back. But maybe you know his height from watching his videos better than he does.

Wow that's awesome, thanks for sharing. I like him even more now that I know he is 6'9 230.

Today's stats...
#GoodDay

These stats (the size, shooting numbers, etc.) remind me of Jon Leuer's game. Leuer was an inch or so taller, but he was versatile like Martin appears to be. Hopefully Martin can develop into half the player Leuer turned out to be, and add the complementary low-post, back to the basket game that Leuer had.

Go Gophers!!

These stats (the size, shooting numbers, etc.) remind me of Jon Leuer's game. Leuer was an inch or so taller, but he was versatile like Martin appears to be. Hopefully Martin can develop into half the player Leuer turned out to be, and add the complementary low-post, back to the basket game that Leuer had.

Go Gophers!!

How tall was Jess Settles? He was big, mobile and skilled.

Today's stats...
#GoodDay

Thanks for the info! I'm hoping he can give us minutes at the 5 if push comes to shove. Good first sign for Coach P. and staff.

How tall was Jess Settles? He was big, mobile and skilled.

To be compared to Settles, Martin will have to play until he's like 25. Maybe it was just me, but guys like Settles and Evan Eschmeyer seemed like they played forever.

To be compared to Settles, Martin will have to play until he's like 25. Maybe it was just me, but guys like Settles and Evan Eschmeyer seemed like they played forever.

To answer my question, Settles was 6-7.

Go Gophers!!

So you're hoping one of Pitino's recruits turns into a Bo Ryan type player?:rolleyes:

Today's stats...
#GoodDay

87% from 3....
84% from midrange....

Sounds like a Rodney Willums clone..

Today's stats...
#GoodDay

I must say that he looked like a little kid next to that Michael Ojo from FSU though! That guys is a beast, 7'2", 285 or something like that.

Top Bottom