Josh Huff leaning toward golden future

Status
Not open for further replies.
If I saw someone steal from someone else, I would call them on it, even though it really doesn't affect me. That's what I'm doing here. If everyone looks the other way in society when someone steals, we have a problem. "I know that Rivals saves offer lists (from years past), but as best I can tell you can't search who your team offered from years past" Reread what you wrote and slap yourself in the face please, parentheses are mine.

Your arrogance about your knowledge on everything gopher recruiting related is what bugs me. Questioning peoples quality of posts is just one example. When someone posts an article about a player, you consistantly question how that is new news or relevant.

I agree 100%
I had to search your posts to figure this out, you're the one that kept arguing with me over something I didn't say, even when numerous other people pointed that out to you. Figures.

You have the reading comprehension skills of a walrus. I'm done debating anything with you. If that makes me arrogant, so be it.

Well I wasn't asking rivals employees, I can understand why they would be upset.

But to take my own profession, if someone created a college where people taught for free, I would think they were nuts, but there's not much you can do about it. Things are only worth as much as people are willing to pay for them. Such is life.

It would be awesome if you taught an ethics class.

If I saw someone steal from someone else, I would call them on it, even though it really doesn't affect me. That's what I'm doing here. If everyone looks the other way in society when someone steals, we have a problem. "I know that Rivals saves offer lists (from years past), but as best I can tell you can't search who your team offered from years past" Reread what you wrote and slap yourself in the face please, parentheses are mine.

Hahaha...

They save offer lists from the player, not from the team, to my knowledge. I write in stream of consciousness from time to time, obviously hard to decipher that time.

As for the second part, that's fine. Agree to disagree.

It would be awesome if you taught an ethics class.
I don't, but have you ever taken one? By and large they won't give you a black-white, good-bad narrative. The world is full of greys my friend.

I don't remember our discussion but ripping on me is exactly the response I expected from you! Oh holy one!

Maybe it will sink in if I write it this way, they save offer lists from the team from years past.

Judging by the way your getting lit up in these post again, I probably was right whatever the discussion was!

If you buy a sandwich, and I find a sandwich, I could really care less if you paid for the sandwich and I didn't, I'm just happy to eat.

This is a great example of your reasoning skills, intelligence and how big of a D-Bag you keep proving yourself to be.

I don't, but have you ever taken one? By and large they won't give you a black-white, good-bad narrative. The world is full of greys my friend.

Of course I agree, I just fail to see how stealing is ever ethical and defensible because you want the information and don't feel the cost of it is reasonable.

Well I wasn't asking rivals employees, I can understand why they would be upset.

But to take my own profession, if someone created a college where people taught for free, I would think they were nuts, but there's not much you can do about it. Things are only worth as much as people are willing to pay for them. Such is life.

That's not anywhere near the right type of analogy. If you developed your own curriculum over years of teaching and someone else at a neighboring college stole your notes, your lectures, your tests, etc... How would you feel?

Of course I agree, I just fail to see how stealing is ever ethical and defensible because you want the information and don't feel the cost of it is reasonable.
Well ok then. Agree to disagree. If you feel like calling people out helps you with your own sense of personal justice or morality, by all means.

That's not anywhere near the right type of analogy. If you developed your own curriculum over years of teaching and someone else at a neighboring college stole your notes, your lectures, your tests, etc... How would you feel?
It's an article based off of an interview, not a dissertation. I think we're dealing with a pretty large difference of degree here.

That said, lectures and notes are circulated all the time. So are books, papers, etc. It's pretty hard to establish a monopoly on information, especially in the digital age.

Colleges exist and have credibility because what they provide can't be copied that easily. If it could, it would have already.

Gopherprof, you just joined this board (under this moniker) in July. What was your previous moniker or are you that new to the gopherhole?

GopherProf,

I know that this isn't relevant to Gopher football but I'd like to try and flesh out your opinion on this. First, how do you feel about people who cheat on or don't pay their taxes? Secondly, if you saw someone burglarizing a house would you call the police or just say "Not my stuff, not my problem"?

GopherProf,

I know that this isn't relevant to Gopher football but I'd like to try and flesh out your opinion on this. First, how do you feel about people who cheat on or don't pay their taxes? Secondly, if you saw someone burglarizing a house would you call the police or just say "Not my stuff, not my problem"?
I understand the analogy, but I don't agree with it. Intellectual property is not the same thing.

If someone bought a newspaper, and then told all of their friends what they read in the newspaper, would you consider them a criminal?

If someone told their friends about what they read, then no. If they copied the article verbatim and started distributing it to people than yes. I understand that there is a difference between physical and intellectual property. But when a person makes verbatim copies of someone's intellectual property and then distributes them to others for free, the value of the intellectual property is lowered. This means the original author or artist has suffered a real financial loss.

I understand the analogy, but I don't agree with it. Intellectual property is not the same thing.

If someone bought a newspaper, and then told all of their friends what they read in the newspaper, would you consider them a criminal?

You still don't understand, or are just to stubborn to admit, that if noone pays for the things that go into reporting newsworthy items that noone would have any motivation to report things.

Your "you can just use google to get the same info" arguement is fundamentally flawed. Where do you think that info comes from? Newspapers and news gathering institutions. Do you think they should do this out of pure generosity? Your post wreak of self-entitlement. Get over yourself buddy.

They save offer lists from the player, not from the team, to my knowledge.

Gopherprof, I'm actually on your side in this debate, so I come in peace.

But I can verify that you can search just about anything on Rivals, for free. You can search everyone we offered in 2003, you can search who offered Michael Floyd, etc., etc. And it's really not very hard at all to do.

If someone told their friends about what they read, then no. If they copied the article verbatim and started distributing it to people than yes. I understand that there is a difference between physical and intellectual property. But when a person makes verbatim copies of someone's intellectual property and then distributes them to others for free, the value of the intellectual property is lowered. This means the original author or artist has suffered a real financial loss.
So the problem is the literal verbatim representation of the property, and not the information which the property holds? If someone took Huff's quotes and filled it in with different words that would be ok? What exactly is re-producible and what isn't? Because Rivals conducted the interview with Josh (I'm assuming they did anyway), do they have right over his words, or just the stuff that they write in between? I'm just trying to flesh out your opinion on this.

You still don't understand, or are just to stubborn to admit, that if noone pays for the things that go into reporting newsworthy items that noone would have any motivation to report things.

Your "you can just use google to get the same info" arguement is fundamentally flawed. Where do you think that info comes from? Newspapers and news gathering institutions. Do you think they should do this out of pure generosity? Your post wreak of self-entitlement. Get over yourself buddy.
You're fun.

There are lots of ways to make a profit off of reporting information. Newspapers by and large produce their information online for free with the addition of advertisements. They make revenue from a variety of different approaches. Perhaps we will come to a day when information is so free that there is no incentive to produce anything of intellectual merit. I don't think that day is any time soon, however.

I suppose you are all against wikipedia for the damage it has done to the encyclopedia industry too?

So the problem is the literal verbatim representation of the property, and not the information which the property holds? If someone took Huff's quotes and filled it in with different words that would be ok? What exactly is re-producible and what isn't? Because Rivals conducted the interview with Josh (I'm assuming they did anyway), do they have right over his words, or just the stuff that they write in between? I'm just trying to flesh out your opinion on this.

There is a whole spectrum or ways of sharing information from Rivals on this site. On one end, you have somebody posting verbatim an article written about Josh Huff on GH. At the other end of the spectrum is a person coming on GH and posting that per Rivals Josh Huff is now leaning towards Minnesota. I would say that the first is wrong. I would say that the second scenario is perfectly acceptable. It is paraphrased and this sort of referencing is widely used in all sorts of books and news articles.

Where exactly would I draw the line between these two ways of sharing information? The honest answer is to say that I'm not sure. I would say that the area between the two positions is somewhat gray. If I had to draw the line somewhere I guess I would place it closely after verbatim copying.

Rivals has managed to *&^!#*&^!#*&^!#*&^!# up my billing for the third year in a row...

And Nadine's checks never bounce.

Even the OP knows posting things verbatum is wrong...he was being childish and doing it out of spite.

My original intention when I responded to someone's response about me being a "GI troll" was to call out the admins here at GH. I find it funny that they have yet to join the discussion to explain why they keep allowing this kind of thing to continue.

My ideas as to why that is are:

1. They don't have any ethics.
2. They need the content because they don't have the resources to do the same kind of reporting found in those articles (see the "donate to gopherhole" icon on your right).
3. They don't have any pride in their own product.

This is a great site for discussion with passionate, intelligent people. It just seems funny that seemingly intelligent people (admins) would find this to be an acceptable practice. I think these things reflects poorly on this site and the people who run it.

p.s. I'm witholding my donation as I already pay GI for some of the info here.

There is a whole spectrum or ways of sharing information from Rivals on this site. On one end, you have somebody posting verbatim an article written about Josh Huff on GH. At the other end of the spectrum is a person coming on GH and posting that per Rivals Josh Huff is now leaning towards Minnesota. I would say that the first is wrong. I would say that the second scenario is perfectly acceptable. It is paraphrased and this sort of referencing is widely used in all sorts of books and news articles.

Where exactly would I draw the line between these two ways of sharing information? The honest answer is to say that I'm not sure. I would say that the area between the two positions is somewhat gray. If I had to draw the line somewhere I guess I would place it closely after verbatim copying.
I totally accept that and agree, change the words, share the information. I don't think Rivals agrees though.

I totally accept that and agree, change the words, share the information. I don't think Rivals agrees though.

Rivals might not agree with it but I don't think that they have a leg to stand on. You can't write a book and then demand that everyone who reads it can never speak of the contents of the book with another person.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Bottom