Josh Huff leaning toward golden future

Status
Not open for further replies.

ulfr

Sisyphean Spermophile
Reaction score
Well, once again I find myself in a Maroon and Gold funk at this late hour and rather than delve into whether we will be able to handle what looks to be the most brutal Gopher schedule of my life next year allow me to point out this glimmer of hope from the rivals network. Now don't ask me why an allegedly 4 star recruit is interested in only Utah and Minnesota, but if he is actually able to get into school, he seems to be a solid addition to our stable of backs.

October 19, 2009

Mike Farrell
Rivals.com Football Recruiting

Though he is still verbally committed to Utah, four-star all-purpose back Josh Huff recently admitted that he is leaning toward another school.

The 5-foot-10, 185-pound prospect from Aldine (Tex.) Nimitz committed to the Utes back in June, turning down offers from the likes of Minnesota, Baylor, Colorado, Iowa State, Kentucky and Missouri, among others.

Now that a few months have gone by and Huff has had a chance to think about things a little more, it's starting to look like he might be changing his mind.

"I'm still committed to Utah," Huff explained. "But I'm keeping all my options open. In fact, I'm starting to lean towards Minnesota a little bit. I just really like the fans, the coaches and the academics."

In mid-September after a visit to Minnesota, Huff admitted it would be tough for the Utes to hold off the Gophers. He said at the time that he wanted to visit Utah before making his final decision. Now he's pinpointing the middle of next month as the time when he will make his final choice.

"I'm thinking I'd like to do something by the second week of November, or sometime around then," he said.

Huff is ranked the No. 8 all-purpose back in the nation by Rivals.com. He said Utah and Minnesota are the only schools in contention at this point.

agree it is a little strange Utah and MN are his finalists but lets not try to find something that might not be there. This would be a HUGE get!

scout has him as a 2 star Rb.

his offer lists includes missouri, baylor, buffalo, colorado, utah, kentucky and miami of ohio.

What do the big schools and scout know that rivals doesn't? or what does Rivals know that scout and the big schools don't?

Recruiting news like this always makes me hopeful!

October 20, 2009

Zach Johnson
GopherIllustrated.com Publisher

Aldine (Texas) Nimitz running back Josh Huff took his official visit to Minnesota for the weekend of their inaugural game at brand new TCF Bank Stadium. Since the visit Huff's status as a solid commitment to Utah was in doubt and Minnesota moved into contention for the four-star back. Huff discussed his recruitment with GopherIllustrated.com and updated his status.

First things first, Huff is no longer verbally committed to Utah. "I am not committed to Utah anymore," Huff told GopherIllustrated.com on Monday evening. "I talked to Coach Scalley today and I told him that I wasn't committed anymore. I was suppose to visit Utah back in September but a family issue came up and I needed to cancel. I have not set anything up with them and am not sure if I will."

Minnesota has moved into the top spot for Huff. "Everything has been going great since my visit to Minnesota. I am just taking things one day at a time and praying to God for guidance so I can make the right decision," Huff said. "Right now that decision would be Minnesota."

Huff admitted to taking longer than he expected but is comfortable with the process. "There is really nothing that is preventing me from committing to Minnesota right now. I am just waiting a little bit longer that I expected," he said. "Minnesota knows where I am right now and they are fine with me taking a little longer. I called Coach Hightower the other day and he knows what is going on and that I am heavily leaning to Minnesota."

More offers could be on the way for Huff. "My coach is telling me that there are a lot of new schools in contact and I should have more offers to look at soon," he said. "Right now there are no schools that I could honestly think of that could challenge Minnesota. The school I did want to go to was Texas, but that is not looking like an option right now."

Life off the football field is what has put Minnesota on the top of his list. "It really isn't about football at Minnesota although that is a big part," Huff said. "At Minnesota it is more about off the field. I love the academics at Minnesota and the coaching staff. They are very down to earth and really relate well to their players."

How much do you get paid to share this on this site?

looks like a solid player, has a pretty good offer list if you think about it. 4 Big 12 schools and 1 SEC school.

looks like a solid player, has a pretty good offer list if you think about it. 4 Big 12 schools and 1 SEC school.

Nice player, can cut and go, good to great speed, can catch the ball. A little of the small side, but that will get better. We need one of these guys in the fold going forward, and runningback is a position that can come in right away and contribute.

FYI Scout site says Easterly will be visiting

Thought I would throw this little tidbit into the Huff thread since it relates to recruiting. According to the scout site, Illinois commit Daniel Easterly will be visiting sometime as well. Wonder how many Illinois recruits are being turned off a bit by the uncertainty currently engulfing the Illini program.

Here is what a poster from the Scout site had to say about Huff:

"Being a Gopher fan from Houston just wanted to let everyone know this guy is on another level of what we have had up there in a while. He would be a huge get for this program. I exchanged an e-mail with the former head of the UT scout site Gerry Hamilton who is know doing the southeast recruiting for ESPN and he said Huff is "one of the more underated players in Texas, he will be a stud." "

Just thought I'd share this interesting comment on GH, take it as you please.....

Nice player, can cut and go, good to great speed, can catch the ball. A little of the small side, but that will get better. We need one of these guys in the fold going forward, and runningback is a position that can come in right away and contribute.

Do you have a link for any video of him? I can't find anything on You tube.

Here is what a poster from the Scout site had to say about Huff:

"Being a Gopher fan from Houston just wanted to let everyone know this guy is on another level of what we have had up there in a while. He would be a huge get for this program. I exchanged an e-mail with the former head of the UT scout site Gerry Hamilton who is know doing the southeast recruiting for ESPN and he said Huff is "one of the more underated players in Texas, he will be a stud." "

So, can I put all of my hope for future success on getting this kid?:D

I would love to see a top flight running back here as it has been a while.

He can start and stop quickly, has some good juke moves, and seems to have an extra gear. He looked taller than 5'10", but that may be because he's always running upright, which he'll need to correct while in traffic. Here's hoping he becomes a Gopher!

I like Huff. He's probably more of a change of pace back at this point in his career, but some time in the weight room could fix that.

I like the combination of him and Kirkwood, who is more of a bruiser type. Hopefully he committs.

Also, I wouldn't look down on that offer list. Utah and BYU are BCS-quality schools when it comes to recruiting the past few years, and Missouri is a good recruiting school as well.

He can start and stop quickly, has some good juke moves, and seems to have an extra gear. He looked taller than 5'10", but that may be because he's always running upright, which he'll need to correct while in traffic. Here's hoping he becomes a Gopher!
Speaking of which, Lamonte Edwards is always standing straight up going through the whole. At 6'2" he looks like a giraffe with a football. If the staff is serious about keeping him at runningback (and personally I think he'd be a great linebacker) they need to fix that.

How much do you get paid to share this on this site?

Rivals has managed to *&^!#*&^!#*&^!#*&^!# up my billing for the third year in a row...

And Nadine's checks never bounce.

RB Depth

I saw there was an article on the Scout site about Hasan Lipscomb redshirting at Blinn JC. Does anyone know if it gave any insight into wether he'll need to be there for 2 years or just 1?

I saw there was an article on the Scout site about Hasan Lipscomb redshirting at Blinn JC. Does anyone know if it gave any insight into wether he'll need to be there for 2 years or just 1?

he will be there for 2 years

leaning

if it comes to academics, he'll be a gopher. Utah is not a good school, especially in grads, plus, unless he's a morm, he has to put up with being constantly defending against being converted

if it comes to academics, he'll be a gopher. Utah is not a good school, especially in grads, plus, unless he's a morm, he has to put up with being constantly defending against being converted
I always thought Utah was the mormon-light alternative to BYU. Maybe I'm thinking of Utah State.

I always thought Utah was the mormon-light alternative to BYU. Maybe I'm thinking of Utah State.

In the state of Utah I don't think any place really qualifies as "Mormon-light". :) But yes, compared to BYU I'm sure its a big difference in atmosphere/experience.

The annual game between Utah and BYU is dubbed the "Holy War" if that says something about the difference between the two schools.

I'm hoping Edwards ends up on the D side. too much talent to waste as a running back. I'm thinking SLB.

But the RB and OL situation is looking up for a couple of years down the road. Hopefully we'll get there without major uphieval.

A smart, patient, back, with an extra gear?

Sounds great. Come to Minnesota Josh! We have one of the elite stadiums in the country, and our current RBs do NOT have job security.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Bottom