Josh Huff leaning toward golden future

Status
Not open for further replies.

here come the bitter rivals trolls again......

Its just amazing to me that the admins here continue to let this go on. They obvioulsy don't have any ethics or pride in their own reporting or any respect for other journalists. Summarizing articles are one thing (I have zero problem with that)...copy and and pasting articles are another thing all together.

Its just amazing to me that the admins here continue to let this go on. They obvioulsy don't have any ethics or pride in their own reporting or any respect for other journalists. Summarizing articles are one thing (I have zero problem with that)...copy and and pasting articles are another thing all together.

OK, lawrence21, who cares if there's a cut and paste? What's the problem? Maybe somebody didn't see it, and he's saving them the time of going to the website and looking up the info themselves?

Last time I checked, this is a message board. I don't think "journalistic ethics" come into play on a web forum. And what the hell does "reporting" have to do with moderating a message board?

OK, lawrence21, who cares if there's a cut and paste? What's the problem? Maybe somebody didn't see it, and he's saving them the time of going to the website and looking up the info themselves?

Last time I checked, this is a message board. I don't think "journalistic ethics" come into play on a web forum. And what the hell does "reporting" have to do with moderating a message board?

Maybe somebody didn't see it? Or maybe someone didn't pay money to have access to the information? If this continues, do you think people will bother renewing their Rivals subscription? Then do you think this kind of info will be provided going forward? Then nobody will have any of the info? You must have a hard time thinking things through. I know though, free free free, we're entitled to something for free!

Maybe somebody didn't see it? Or maybe someone didn't pay money to have access to the information? If this continues, do you think people will bother renewing their Rivals subscription? Then do you think this kind of info will be provided going forward? Then nobody will have any of the info? You must have a hard time thinking things through. I know though, free free free, we're entitled to something for free!

It is not the responsibility of gopherhole and their staff to worry about the rivals website and their subscription levels. Maybe they need to improve their product if they are concerned about this. Also, the answer is yes this type of info would be provided going forward, just from another source. In fact, many of these initial recruit articles and interview are often done by the staff of gopherhole first.

It is not the responsibility of gopherhole and their staff to worry about the rivals website and their subscription levels.
This is debateable, and in fact most message boards clamp down on citing subscription information due to threats made by Rivals, ESPN, etc.

That said, I fail to understand why anyone in the world would stick up for those websites. I guess the argument is essentially "someone has to pay so that Rivals continues to exist." Do you seriously think this is a problem? Or that somehow there would cease to be recruiting information? What exactly does Rivals do other than calls kids on the phone? What kind of overhead does that actually entail? If anything, the existence of Rivals and ESPN has essentially blocked out any free information providers because they have a monopoly on the market for the exact same reason they charge for the information. There's no way in hell anyone can convince me that what they do requires me to pay 100 dollars a year. I can subscribe to a newspaper for cheaper than that.

I have one online subscription to baseball prospectus, because they have a system that literally nobody can match. Rivals has stars for players and information that requires little more than a phone call. Color me not impressed.

I'm hoping Edwards ends up on the D side. too much talent to waste as a running back. I'm thinking SLB.

But the RB and OL situation is looking up for a couple of years down the road. Hopefully we'll get there without major uphieval.

You honestly think that having him at RB is wasting talent? RB is the second most important position on the field on either side of the ball. And judging from the CDH game LB is not his strongest spot which is kinda the definition of wasting talent.

RB is the second most important position on the field on either side of the ball.

Warning: Somebody will jump you very soon for this comment. Run

Note: If nobody does, let me know and I'll come back to do it. Just kidding (jk lol lmao)

You honestly think that having him at RB is wasting talent? RB is the second most important position on the field on either side of the ball. And judging from the CDH game LB is not his strongest spot which is kinda the definition of wasting talent.

I wouldn't call it "jumping him", KoolAid, but I do want to comment. I think calling RB the 2nd most important position is a stretch by virtually anyone's reckoning. I, for one, would consider having talent at QB, LT, DE, DT, MLB, and CB, at least, to be more important than RB. More than any other position, good RBs tend to fall further in the draft, because there is a perception (true or not) that it is a very interchangeable spot. And I think most college recruiters would agree that the line, more specifically the d-line, is the hardest position to recruit. So I would strongly disagree with your suggestion for any number of reasons.

Now, where to put Edwards is another point altogether. Considering our RB play the last few seasons, if he is one of our top 1 or 2 RBs beginning immediately in 2010, we need to play him there. But if he's not, especially considering the RBs we have in the pipeline behind him, he needs to play LB.

I totally agree...he didn't stand out at all playing as a Linebacker. In fact his was hardly noticeable except for 1-2 plays he got into the backfield. However, he looked like a very tough, fast, rugged football player coming out of the backfield and I was excited thinking about him playing running back for the Gophs.

I'm not sure you can base a whole lot off of one game. From what I've seen, I prefer Edwards at outside linebacker, but I haven't seen enough of him to make a firm determination on that either. If someone watches him every week chimes in, I think that would give it more credence on way or the other.

My biggest concern with Edwards is that everytime I see him he's running way too damn high. That's a correctable thing, but at this point I don't see him doing that.

Ever seen Adrian Peterson run? Same exact form minus some speed.

you have to remember that CDH also has one of the best defenses in the state that he was going against...

This is debateable, and in fact most message boards clamp down on citing subscription information due to threats made by Rivals, ESPN, etc.

That said, I fail to understand why anyone in the world would stick up for those websites. I guess the argument is essentially "someone has to pay so that Rivals continues to exist." Do you seriously think this is a problem? Or that somehow there would cease to be recruiting information? What exactly does Rivals do other than calls kids on the phone? What kind of overhead does that actually entail? If anything, the existence of Rivals and ESPN has essentially blocked out any free information providers because they have a monopoly on the market for the exact same reason they charge for the information. There's no way in hell anyone can convince me that what they do requires me to pay 100 dollars a year. I can subscribe to a newspaper for cheaper than that.

I have one online subscription to baseball prospectus, because they have a system that literally nobody can match. Rivals has stars for players and information that requires little more than a phone call. Color me not impressed.

If it's so easy to gather the information, why do GHers need to get it from Rivals? It's their intellectual property. The questions you ask, what the overhead of Rivals is, is completely irrelevant. They have every right to charge people to view information they gather. You could start a website just as easily and charge for it. And it would be flat out WRONG for me to join your site and then post it on my site. What would then be the point of paying for your site? wrong is wrong. If you don't want to pay $100, fine, no one's forcing you, but the sense of entitlement that you should get the information free because you think $100 is too much is really embarrassing. I discourage pirating rivals for the same reason I discourage people from illegally downloading music on the internet. It's wrong and it's stealing.

Ever seen Adrian Peterson run? Same exact form minus some speed.
Adrian Peterson is an athletic freak of nature. He can take on a linebacker and knock him backwards. The minute Edwards does that to a Penn State linebacker I'll stop criticizing his form.

If it's so easy to gather the information, why do GHers need to get it from Rivals? It's their intellectual property. The questions you ask, what the overhead of Rivals is, is completely irrelevant. They have every right to charge people to view information they gather. You could start a website just as easily and charge for it. And it would be flat out WRONG for me to join your site and then post it on my site. What would then be the point of paying for your site? wrong is wrong. If you don't want to pay $100, fine, no one's forcing you, but the sense of entitlement that you should get the information free because you think $100 is too much is really embarrassing. I discourage pirating rivals for the same reason I discourage people from illegally downloading music on the internet. It's wrong and it's stealing.
I'm not asking if it's wrong or not, I'm asking why you care.

Also, wrong is not wrong, unless you completely see the world in black and white. In which case, you aren't worth debating anyway.

I'm not asking if it's wrong or not, I'm asking why you care.

Also, wrong is not wrong, unless you completely see the world in black and white. In which case, you aren't worth debating anyway.

Considering you call yourself a "recruiting guru" and seem to be less informed than anyone with a Rivals subscription, I think you are way off base. Any information you get is second hand from other people actually putting in the leg work to talk with recruits and their coaches.

The database you have put together is pathetic. Where are your videos, where is your talent analysis? You post the rivals and scouts ratings of players that have offers. You only know they have offers because rivals has compiled them. You only know what type of talent they have because of the rivals or scout analysis. You even steal the pictures from Rivals for your "database". Why would anyone look at the crap you have put together?

It is not the responsibility of gopherhole and their staff to worry about the rivals website and their subscription levels. Maybe they need to improve their product if they are concerned about this. Also, the answer is yes this type of info would be provided going forward, just from another source. In fact, many of these initial recruit articles and interview are often done by the staff of gopherhole first.

They don't need to worry about the Rivals website or its subscription levels...they are doing fine. The numbers here are also good and growing.
As for improving its product, I think the same could be said for GH. The proof there is that you need to cut and paste Rivals articles on your message board to have content to talk about.:eek:
And the last line in your post is laughable.

Considering you call yourself a "recruiting guru".
I have never once in my life referred to myself as a recuiting guru. I find the term pretty funny actually.

As for the rest, I'm not in any way shape or form trying to compete with anyone. I put together mostly second hand information specific to Gopher recruiting, because Nadine asked me to, and have been doing it for a few hours a week, at best. The implication that Gopherhole is trying to compete with Rivals is absurd, it's not even the same concept.

As for why anyone would look, the point of the database is to provide a quick and easy reference guide, particularly a few years down the road when fans are interested in other prospects we may have looked at and the like. If people don't want to use the free service, they certainly don't have to.

I have never once in my life referred to myself as a recuiting guru. I find the term pretty funny actually.

As for the rest, I'm not in any way shape or form trying to compete with anyone. I put together mostly second hand information specific to Gopher recruiting, because Nadine asked me to, and have been doing it for a few hours a week, at best. The implication that Gopherhole is trying to compete with Rivals is absurd, it's not even the same concept.

As for why anyone would look, the point of the database is to provide a quick and easy reference guide, particularly a few years down the road when fans are interested in other prospects we may have looked at and the like. If people don't want to use the free service, they certainly don't have to.

I was not bashing Gopher Hole, I was bashing you for saying Rivals memberships are useless. I love this board and Nadine's articles because they have actually taken some time, effort, and original thought.

You're "database" links to the Rivals database, copies that information. Why not actually go straight to the site to do that where you can than link to any other schools information? On top of the free database at rivals, with a subscription you can actually see the tape of the talent that the analysis is based on. Interviews with coaches, players, and recruits are also available.

I was not bashing Gopher Hole, I was bashing you for saying Rivals memberships are useless. I love this board and Nadine's articles because they have actually taken some time, effort, and original thought.

You're "database" links to the Rivals database, copies that information. Why not actually go straight to the site to do that where you can than link to any other schools information? On top of the free database at rivals, with a subscription you can actually see the tape of the talent that the analysis is based on. Interviews with coaches, players, and recruits are also available.
When did I say that memberships were useless? I said I'm not impressed by what they offer in terms of what they charge. That isn't even close to the same thing.

If people want to pay the money to do it, rock the *&^!#*&^!#*&^!#*&^!# on, I don't care. My only question was why in the world anyone that doesn't work for rivals would care if some of their information is posted. I've still yet to see anyone even remotely answer that question.

To answer your question, there are basically two answers.

1) This is free, and rivals is over 100 dollars a year, to complain about the quality of something that is free takes a particular kind of asshole, so congrats.

2) Rivals, or any other site as best I know, does not save all of the information of who we looked at from years past, only who commits. This one will. Considering I just took over about 3 weeks ago, it's a little early to judge it in that regard. If you really want to watch a video on a player, Rivals is certainly the place to go. Most of the rest can be found with a quick google search of local newspapers, depends on how crafty you want to be.

But seriously, if you want to help, go ahead. Otherwise I'll assume you're just trying to start an argument over something I didn't even say.

When did I say that memberships were useless? I said I'm not impressed by what they offer in terms of what they charge. That isn't even close to the same thing.

Fair statement.

If people want to pay the money to do it, rock the *&^!#*&^!#*&^!#*&^!# on, I don't care. My only question was why in the world anyone that doesn't work for rivals would care if some of their information is posted. I've still yet to see anyone even remotely answer that question.

1) This is free, and rivals is over 100 dollars a year, to complain about the quality of something that is free takes a particular kind of asshole, so congrats.

2) Rivals, or any other site as best I know, does not save all of the information of who we looked at from years past, only who commits. This one will. Considering I just took over about 3 weeks ago, it's a little early to judge it in that regard. If you really want to watch a video on a player, Rivals is certainly the place to go. Most of the rest can be found with a quick google search of local newspapers, depends on how crafty you want to be.

But seriously, if you want to help, go ahead. Otherwise I'll assume you're just trying to start an argument over something I didn't even say.

100% wrong. Rivals saves offer lists from past years. I will also answer your question. I pay for Rivals, and why WOULDN"T I be bothered that people get the same info I paid for for free? Answer that? Heard of moral hazard? Free rider problem? Of course info is going to get out. But if entire articles that I paid for are posted over here for free the same day, I feel ripped off that I paid for it, and you get it for free. Understand?

Again, I'm not ripping anything about Gopher Hole. I prefer the discussion on this site to GI's discussion, and love Nadine's articles and the hard work the staff puts in. I'm ripping you for thinking that all the Rivals information is easily obtainable with a "quick google search". It's taken you three weeks to link to about 1/4 of the players profiles that even have offers from Minnesota. Where did you get 90% of the "information" you put together? Be honest. Your link to the Rivals players site shows 5-10 premium articles and interviews about every player. It actually analyzes the talent, which I have yet to hear you do.

Your arrogance about your knowledge on everything gopher recruiting related is what bugs me. Questioning peoples quality of posts is just one example. When someone posts an article about a player, you consistantly question how that is new news or relevant.

My only question was why in the world anyone that doesn't work for rivals would care if some of their information is posted. I've still yet to see anyone even remotely answer that question.

Come on...you're smarter than that. What if you ran a website that charged for its content? Would you have a problem then? Please let me know what your reaction would be.

100% wrong. Rivals saves offer lists from past years. I will also answer your question. I pay for Rivals, and why WOULDN"T I be bothered that people get the same info I paid for for free? Answer that? Heard of moral hazard? Free rider problem? Of course info is going to get out. But if entire articles that I paid for are posted over here for free the same day, I feel ripped off that I paid for it, and you get it for free. Understand?
I know that Rivals saves offer lists, but as best I can tell you can't search who your team offered from years past, maybe you can, I only did the free trial and quit, but I didn't notice that you could.

As for the second part, I can see why it bothers you, many people don't like to pay for things others can get for free. I should clarify and ask why you think anyone should care that you feel ripped off? If you buy a sandwich, and I find a sandwich, I could really care less if you paid for the sandwich and I didn't, I'm just happy to eat. I will grant that on a macro level, society wouldn't function if nobody paid for anything, but I think that is taking it to a pretty large extreme.

It's the 21st century. Information is largely free nowadays. Maybe it's not "fair" but it is reality.

Your arrogance about your knowledge on everything gopher recruiting related is what bugs me. Questioning peoples quality of posts is just one example. When someone posts an article about a player, you consistantly question how that is new news or relevant.

I agree 100%

Come on...you're smarter than that. What if you ran a website that charged for its content? Would you have a problem then? Please let me know what your reaction would be.
Well I wasn't asking rivals employees, I can understand why they would be upset.

But to take my own profession, if someone created a college where people taught for free, I would think they were nuts, but there's not much you can do about it. Things are only worth as much as people are willing to pay for them. Such is life.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Bottom