Jordan Hinojosa - What's going on here?

Rescooter

Section 243
Reaction score
A lot of speculation regarding his academics have been stirring since he signed. Here's a rundown:

1/26/2012
per Sid:

"Meanwhile Jordan Hinojosa, a defensive lineman from Miami (Fla.) Central who committed to Minnesota and was expected in school this month, has to complete some paperwork before he is eligible to enroll. However, it isn't expected to be a problem and he shortly should be in school."

6/11/2012

"With the exception of one player, Miami Central High defensive lineman Jordan Hinojosa, the entire recruiting class has graduated from high school with the necessary academic credentials and enrolled at Minnesota, according to Kill. Hinojosa's status is still to be determined; he could be here in the fall, or possibly enroll at a junior college for a season."

6/11/2012

Good call. He noted that he had his "last night in Miami" with his boys before heading up here, and then showed a picture out an airplane window. So, for one reason or another, he's definitely on his way here.

6/12/2012

It is looking more and more evident by the day that #Gophers 2012 signee Jordan Hinojosa is headed for a JUCO. Sucks.

This is strange. More twists in this plot than a good Alfred Hitchcock Thriller. Is anyone out there stalking the airport?

He posted on his facebook yesterday from Houston, TX and last night he 'liked' Coffeyville CC. I think he's going to JUCO.

It was bound to happen to at least 1 player, always does. Maybe we end up adding Hinojosa and Moss to the class of 2014.

Maybe his dad can come on here again and straighten things out.

Too bad, the kid had some potential and we are thin at DT.

I don't know about the rest of you but I'm going to look at this positively. This gives him a chance to work on his academics and get playing time. This should enable him to make sure when he gets here (given that he still attends the U) he will stay here and not be a guy who ends up not being able to stay on the field. Here's to hoping he arrives in a year or two with everything in order and ready to be a solid contributor like we're all hoping

Thanks!

I don't know about the rest of you but I'm going to look at this positively. This gives him a chance to work on his academics and get playing time. This should enable him to make sure when he gets here (given that he still attends the U) he will stay here and not be a guy who ends up not being able to stay on the field. Here's to hoping he arrives in a year or two with everything in order and ready to be a solid contributor like we're all hoping

Thanks for saying what I hope and believe are the majority opinion here. It is sad to see how nasty and mean spirited a small fraction of people can be when things don't go as planned with a recruit. I always wonder what other recruits or potential recruits and their families think when they read some of the things people say here. I am sure it is not good! And for those of you who don't think they read this blog, they do.

None of the transfers the Gophers were recruiting from Miami Central made it to Minnesota. BTW, Phil Steele College Report had Jordan ranked #285 in is DL recruiting rankings.

None of the transfers the Gophers were recruiting from Miami Central made it to Minnesota.

The Gophers weren't recruiting any transfers from Miami Central. Miami Central is a HS. Minnesota would have to be a HS in order to be recruiting transfers from Miami Central.

Thanks for saying what I hope and believe are the majority opinion here. It is sad to see how nasty and mean spirited a small fraction of people can be when things don't go as planned with a recruit. I always wonder what other recruits or potential recruits and their families think when they read some of the things people say here. I am sure it is not good! And for those of you who don't think they read this blog, they do.

Exactly, there's really no reason to rip a possible future Gopher. I'm sure whatever is going on isn't exactly what he'd planned on. He wanted to be here in Jan already.

As for the DT position, I've always hoped Lincoln Plsek ended up on the DL, he's just a really big athlete that seems somewhat wasted at TE with the other recruits we've plugged in there. Williams and Anyanwu can fit in as pass catchers while we find some big midwest kids to play blocking TE. We do have plenty of tall, athletic, but not necessarily speedy kids in state every year.
Plsek can be Hagemanesque in that he can transition slowly into a monster athlete on the DL, and learn the technique while Ekpe likely plays a rotational role this season.

I wish i could remember his dads name but he seemed cool and fired up about his son being a gopher. He spoke of his sons intensity so dont give up on him. I didnt think he was a bad student.

I'm in no position to question anyone's intelligence, as I'd need two or three promtions to attain the rank of "Dullard", but wasn't the initial talk that he was going to graduate early and enroll in the Carlson School? Now he can't qualify? Something's missing.

The Gophers weren't recruiting any transfers from Miami Central. Miami Central is a HS. Minnesota would have to be a HS in order to be recruiting transfers from Miami Central.

The 4 players the Gophers were recruiting transferred in from a another HS to Miami Central. All
had academic issues. Being the expert you are, I thought you would know that without clarification.

gophmeister said:
He posted on his facebook yesterday from Houston, TX and last night he 'liked' Coffeyville CC. I think he's going to JUCO.
That says it all - he can't make the grades.

The 4 players the Gophers were recruiting transferred in from a another HS to Miami Central.

Yes, they did. The Gophers were not recruiting them to transfer here, however. That would be impossible. The Gophers recruited players like Boddy, Shabazz, Johnson, etc. to transfer here, because they actually could transfer here.

All had academic issues.

Link?

Being the expert you are, I thought you would know that without clarification.

I was quite aware that they transferred in to Miami Central. That has no bearing whatsoever on saying the Gophers were "recruiting transfers", which is not at all laden with innuendo and agenda-driven. Nope, not at all.

dpodoll68 said:
Yes, they did. The Gophers were not recruiting them to transfer here, however. That would be impossible. The Gophers recruited players like Boddy, Shabazz, Johnson, etc. to transfer here, because they actually could transfer here.

Link?

I was quite aware that they transferred in to Miami Central. That has no bearing whatsoever on saying the Gophers were "recruiting transfers", which is not at all laden with innuendo and agenda-driven. Nope, not at all.

I think we knew what he mean't - no need to always point out the small things.

Let's hope you're right, but the odds are probably 90% or greater that he never makes it back. MarQueis Gray is one of the few exceptions, a guy that was turned away, got his test score up, and was able to be admitted.

Let's hope you're right, but the odds are probably 90% or greater that he never makes it back. MarQueis Gray is one of the few exceptions, a guy that was turned away, got his test score up, and was able to be admitted.

Gray was also an exception b/c he didn't have to wait 2 years since his issue was flagged test scores not overall grade issues. Kids who enroll in JC out of high school b/c they don't qualify have to get their AA degree over 2 years before they can move to D-1.

John Galt said:

And James Gillum. Kill recruited him out of high school and stuck with him to get him after JUCO, right?

Gray's Test Scores

I am sure that this is not exactly correct, but what I recall was that Gray's test scores were "flagged" as suspicious and therefore they were ruled null and void. He then had to go through a long and difficult process to get an approved score.

I am sure this is not exactly correct but what I recall was that Gray's test scores were "flagged" as suspicious and therefore they were ruled null and void. He then had to go through a long and difficult process to get an approved score.

Yes, as I said, Gray had to get his test score up before getting admitted. Gray's situation was different than someone who has to go the JUCO route.

Yes, as I said, Gray had to get his test score up before getting admitted. Gray's situation was different than someone who has to go the JUCO route.

No, he didn't have to get it up to get admitted. He had already been admitted and was on campus when the NCAA let him know his score had been flagged. He was flagged b/c the NCAA thought his second attempt at the ACT had a score that was TOO GOOD. They forced him to withdraw from school and take it again to prove that it wasn't suspicious. The U didn't have any issues with his grades or scores which is why they had already admitted him. It wasn't a normal Clearinghouse issue.

And James Gillum. Kill recruited him out of high school and stuck with him to get him after JUCO, right?

Correct. Maybe Kill will be different and continue to monitor and recruit some of the kids that go the JUCO route. Past history for the Gophers is that almost all of the players that have signed in February, and then had some type of issue getting admitted in the summer, never make it back. Quentin Gardener and Drayquan Crawford from 2011, Marquise Hill, Thornton, and Tillman from 2010, Lipscomb and Searcy from 2009, etc, etc.

Top Bottom