JohnnyGopher - White

Theoretical:

Tubby signs C Joseph and Walker. Nolen becomes eligible. No transfers.
Trevor guilty or not guilty?
Not guilty---No scholarship for Royce.
Guilty---Open scholarship for Royce...Both availability and need.

My guess is that Tubby gave him the situation straight up, what scholership(s) were available, and when they go that is it for next year. White is probably just not making a decision and it could cost him if he wants to come back.

Originally Posted by Salukigopher
I heard he might be going to NDSU. Anyone else hear this at all?

Well, his good friend from hopkins Marcus Williams is at NDSU, playing football & baseball. 2 of the seniors on hopkins team are going to NDSU on a visit (dj pederson and trevor something) I also saw on facebook that they are all meeting up.

SOOO we'll take him at NDSU so we can have the last 2 AP player's of the year on the same team!!

Unless something significant changes in the next few weeks, Royce will not be back and there is NO way Royce White will live in Fargo, it's been a very hard transition for Marcus Williams and Royce is a city boy. MN is recruiting as if Royce will not be back and once somebody takes his scholarship, it's too late. He would need to go to Tubby in the next week and convince him things will be different and he's ready to commit 100% to the Gopher basketball program and school.

Nolen is probably a 50-50 chance of coming back, really it will be up to Al and depend on how hard he works at it.

The Blake stuff isn't even worth commenting on.

Mr. baketball is what matters lakes, AP means very little.

Dawson has no expectation of a scholarship and it would take some incredible circumstances for him to get one. He may get an open one at some point in his career just like Travis Busch and other walk ons have, more likely is he will transfer to a local MIAC school or maybe if he improves enough,a St. Cloud or Mankato.

JG

Unless something significant changes in the next few weeks, Royce will not be back and there is NO way Royce White will live in Fargo, it's been a very hard transition for Marcus Williams and Royce is a city boy. MN is recruiting as if Royce will not be back and once somebody takes his scholarship, it's too late. He would need to go to Tubby in the next week and convince him things will be different and he's ready to commit 100% to the Gopher basketball program and school.

Nolen is probably a 50-50 chance of coming back, really it will be up to Al and depend on how hard he works at it.

Dawson has no expectation of a scholarship and it would take some incredible circumstances for him to get one. He may get an open one at some point in his career just like Travis Busch and other walk ons have, more likely is he will transfer to a local MIAC school or maybe if he improves enough,a St. Cloud or Mankato.

Refreshing to hear a voice of reason.

:clap::clap::clap:

Why is Nolen only 50/50? Has Royce been in contact with the coaches at all recently? Do you know any details about their talk a while back out for dinner after he had already quit? Does he hang out with the team at all? Sorry, lots of questions.

I hope this is a joke

I dont know. Thats what my friend told me. He said he heard Royce might go there. He heard from someone else. Obviously its all hearsay, so thats why I was wondering if anymore else heard about it.

If Nolen doesn't make it back and we don't get Cory Joseph and Cobbs goes back to Cali, Tubby could be pleading with Brewster to have Allen drop football and give him a BB scholarship.

PG situation could be mighty glum - not much recruiting news that I have seen for a PG except for the Johnny Lacy stuff and he would have to sit out a year if indeed he transfers.

If Nolen doesn't make it back and we don't get Cory Joseph and Cobbs goes back to Cali, Tubby could be pleading with Brewster to have Allen drop football and give him a BB scholarship.

PG situation could be mighty glum - not much recruiting news that I have seen for a PG except for the Johnny Lacy stuff and he would have to sit out a year if indeed he transfers.

Though I have seen very little of B Allen I think a full time Allen has more upside than Cobbs. He seems much quicker and way more athletic.

Unless something significant changes in the next few weeks, Royce will not be back

I guess I'm not really surprised. I thought Maturi had a cryptic quote a while back and that was ..

" We're trying to help Royce make a decision "

This was just a bit before Royce dropped out of the U. So I guess they did.

I think Al made his own bed. I know by his tweets he's told a lot of people that he will be back next year and I think he will too. In what capacity he comes back is more of the issue for me. They did everything for him they could according to Tubby. Tutors, study time, whatever help they were able to offer. For whatever reason Al still rejected it. Al failed the team, the team didn't fail him.

Nolen is back on track in the classroom, he will be eligible.

Though I have seen very little of B Allen I think a full time Allen has more upside than Cobbs. He seems much quicker and way more athletic.

Cobbs has a big 10 body though. Built more like McCamey from Illinois. He has pretty good handles, if he cuts out the silly mistakes, and learns how to use his body in the lane, I think he can be a very serviceable point guard. He is a true freshman, I think people are way too hard on the kid.

Not that it matters, but Allen was quite a bit higher rated coming out of high school (as a basketball player) than Cobbs too. He was a solid 3 star guy with a ton of offers.

Originally Posted by Salukigopher
I heard he might be going to NDSU. Anyone else hear this at all?

Well, his good friend from hopkins Marcus Williams is at NDSU, playing football & baseball. 2 of the seniors on hopkins team are going to NDSU on a visit (dj pederson and trevor something) I also saw on facebook that they are all meeting up.

SOOO we'll take him at NDSU so we can have the last 2 AP player's of the year on the same team!!

I think you meant to type basketball and not baseball. Marcus Williams didn't even play baseball in HS. But yes, Marcus Williams in Fargo, North Dakota hasn't been an easy transition from what I understand. I have a number of "connections" in Fargo, and there is ZERO chatter up there about potentially adding the first 4/5 star recruit (Royce White) in Summit League history. Royce White would instantly average 19 points and 10 rebounds per game as a freshman at NDSU, but it has no chance of happening. Period.

Not that it matters, but Allen was quite a bit higher rated coming out of high school (as a basketball player) than Cobbs too. He was a solid 3 star guy with a ton of offers.

Cobbs was also a 3-star guy with a number of offers.

I'm not a huge Cobbs fan, but I think people who say he is better based on watching him play a few minutes of garbage time are crazy. Cobbs struggled a bit at times this year but he has the potential to be fine as well.

Cobbs has a big 10 body though. Built more like McCamey from Illinois. He has pretty good handles, if he cuts out the silly mistakes, and learns how to use his body in the lane, I think he can be a very serviceable point guard. He is a true freshman, I think people are way too hard on the kid.

I agree and think Cobbs has more upside than many of you think. He's a calmer player than Nolen and ran the offense well for a true freshman. While Nolen has the propensity to get into halfcourt traps, Cobbs was able to stay away from that mistake. He also seemed to keep the offensive play running longer than Nolen did, which is something I like in a point. Cobbs isn't slow, but he's not as quick as Nolen and even towards the end of the year was surprised by quicker players guarding him, which is something he needs to recognize to take better care of the ball. He certainly looks like he can play Big 10 ball, and should get better with experience.

That isn't true. Cobbs was clearly regarded as a more highly-rated basketball prospect and by a decent margin.

Allen's offer list for basketball did not include any high majors. His basketball offers came mostly from the Missouri Valley Conference and Ohio Valley Conference. He had a ton of high major offers from the Big 10/Big 12 for football. Cobbs, on the other hand, had a handful of high major offers for basketball (MN, COL, IA, WASH ST).

Now, that doesn't mean Allen can't be a better player on the basketball floor at some point, because he shows some signs of being good. But, Cobbs was the higher rated hoops prospect coming out of high school.

And, I think Cobbs will be good. He is a much, much better shooter than he showed in games, he has a big body, has nice quickness, can jump, defend, run an offense. Don't shortchange the young man just yet.

Cobbs v Allen will not change the direction of this program. Having a Royce White will. Maturi needs to get off his power trip and let the kid back. Royce has some issues but its not like he's some super thug or some illiterate kid that can only play basketball. I'm willing to bet he'd be a better teammate than a guy like Westbrook but Maturi decided to boot the kid after a false charge. This is CBB not a church league. The kid can help get this program to the next level. If he screws up his second chance then fine, boot him but to not even give him a second chance is just stupid

I've said for a long time that Cobbs has all of the tools to be a fantastic player. It's just a matter of putting it all together.

He seemed very reluctant to shoot this year though... I can't count the number of times he passed up open looks. I'm not sure if it was just him trying to prove that he's a 'pure' point guard or what. He does take a while to gather himself in his shooting motion, which results in a very slow shot, so it wouldn't surprise me if he got his shot blocked a lot in practice and made him a little gun-shy.

But, he's big, he's quick, he can shoot, he can handle the ball... He did seem to have some bad body language at times, and he needs to speed up his shooting motion, but anyone who says he should be playing d2 ball is a fool. He's got talent, it may just take him a while to put it together.

Cobbs v Allen will not change the direction of this program. Having a Royce White will. Maturi needs to get off his power trip and let the kid back. Royce has some issues but its not like he's some super thug or some illiterate kid that can only play basketball. I'm willing to bet he'd be a better teammate than a guy like Westbrook but Maturi decided to boot the kid after a false charge. This is CBB not a church league. The kid can help get this program to the next level. If he screws up his second chance then fine, boot him but to not even give him a second chance is just stupid

I think that you meant to say that Joel should give Royce a FOURTH CHANCE.

I believe that he was given a SECOND CHANCE after he pleaded guilty to Theft and Assault.

The THIRD CHANCE came after Royce pleaded quilty to Criminal Trespass.

Royce then Quit the Team, Tubby, Teammates, and Dropped Out of School. Therefore, Tubby, Joel, and President Bruininks (as we should all know by now) have to decide whether or not to give Royce his FOURTH CHANCE.

And some GopherHolers argue that this will really be Royce's FIFTH CHANCE because Tubby took a gamble by awarding him an athletic scholarship after he got kicked out his first high school for Cheating.

I believe that he was given a SECOND CHANCE after he pleaded guilty to Theft and Assault.

Royce then Quit the Team, Tubby, Teammates, and Dropped Out of School. Therefore, Tubby, Joel, and President Bruininks (as we should all know by now) have to decide whether or not to give Royce his FOURTH CHANCE.

And some GopherHolers argue that this will really be Royce's FIFTH CHANCE because Tubby took a gamble by awarding him an athletic scholarship after he got kicked out his first high school for Cheating.

Exactly. At what point do you keep giving the kid chances?

And, once and for all, it was TUBBY who suspended White. Maturi had very little to do with the White situation. Tubby suspended White indefinitely and said HE would decide when the time was right to bring White back. White quit before Tubby thought the time was right. Simple as that.

UpNorth

+1

Dawson

DD already has a football scholly and doesn't need a BB one. Maybe RW could get a football scholly and be a part time receiver until BB starts?

And, once and for all, it was TUBBY who suspended White. Maturi had very little to do with the White situation. Tubby suspended White indefinitely and said HE would decide when the time was right to bring White back. White quit before Tubby thought the time was right. Simple as that.

I'm fairly indifferent on this subject. I don't think he neccesarily deserves another chance, but I wouldn't be surprised or upset at all if he is given one. He flat out gives us a better chance to win.

Every indication has shown that this was Maturi's decision, do you know something rest of us don't?

Every indication has shown that this was Maturi's decision, do you know something rest of us don't?

Can you provide a link to where this was Maturi's decision? Because I can provide you with many where Tubby Smith said it will be his decision as to when Royce would be back on the team and off of suspension. Somewhere along the line Maturi became a convenient scapegoat for the Royce sympathizers.

And, if Tubby decides Royce is back, then that is fine. I'm not advocating that he can't come back. Just saying this is a Tubby decision, as that is what Tubby has said from the start.

The Mbakwe deal is different. Absolutely, an athletic department decision, as mandated by the student-athlete conduct manual.

I think Saber hit nail on the head. Cobbs has great potential but was RELUCTANT to score/shoot in games this year. I'm not sure if it was just being a freshman and not having as much confidence, but there were a couple of great drives and finishes that he had to take when the shot clock was winding down that show me he will be good. He also has a nice stroke but was reluctant to fire in games with that as well. He has good handles, decent quickness, a big 10 body, all he needs to do is be confident in his abilities and look to score more often. He was right up there with Hoff on post entry passing ability as well. I think Cobbs is going to to be a good player.

Top Bottom