Joey Searcy

Sotakid

Reaction score
anybody else see on rivals that he could have trouble getting into school due to his academics? they have a list of some of the top players that could have trouble getting into school this year and he was the only one mentioned from the gopher pledges. hope he make it

This would be a blow for us. We need guys at defensive tackle. We're pretty thin starting in 2010.

wow, this would suck. i am getting tired of our players (on the roster or recruits) having trouble in school. i realize that MN has gooder schools than other states but common HS is not hard.

wow, this would suck. i am getting tired of our players (on the roster or recruits) having trouble in school. i realize that MN has gooder schools than other states but common HS is not hard.

Gooder???? What Wisconsin school did you go to????

I am pretty sure that person wrote like that as a joke. I seriously doubt someone thinks that gooder is a word. They also wrote "common" instead of come on, but like I said, I am sure its a joke.

yeah it would be a blow for us. lets just hope it doesnt happen and if it does atleast its only one kid

One guy I would rather not lose cause DT is gonna be an issue in the future I think, depth-wise. Hope he can make it happen.

Just remember, appearing on that list is not a guarantee that Searcy won't make it in to school and players not appearing on that list are not sure things to make it in to school. We just have to cross our fingers that everyone that committed passes the NCAA clearinghouse but inevitably there is usually a casualty or two from LOI day.

Just remember, appearing on that list is not a guarantee that Searcy won't make it in to school and players not appearing on that list are not sure things to make it in to school. We just have to cross our fingers that everyone that committed passes the NCAA clearinghouse but inevitably there is usually a casualty or two from LOI day.

Were there possible issues with hageman and lipscomb? or did you just use two random names to make a point?

Were there possible issues with hageman and lipscomb? or did you just use two random names to make a point?

There were issues with Lipscomb not over academic performance, but course work that he may still need to make up as a result of lost class time and school records due to Hurricane Katrina.

Kinda wierd that there has never been talk about Searcy and grade issues until now. But I don't remember there being talk about Reeves either.

I put them in and then edited them out. As far as I know each had some potential issues which hopefully are cleared up but I'm not certain.

There is a story that is probably in the GH archives from this fall that Hageman had not yet reached a qualifying ACT/GPA combo. If he studies hard, improves his GPA or does well on the ACT he would be fine. But that is no guarantee.

I don't remember exact situation with Lipscomb but I think there was some questions about core courses and transferring from Louissiana to Houston after Katrina that had to be cleared up. I have no idea whether he is good to go or if there is still an issue which is why I edited him out of my message.

Players can still sign a Letter of Intent (Reeves, Gray) without having qualifying scores but they have to pass the NCAA clearinghouse before they can play. I was just trying to say that just because a player signs an LOI doesn't mean they are admitted to school/passed NCAA Clearinghouse. Signing the LOI is good because you know they are committed but it's not the same as having them on campus, and in the case of Gray this last season sometimes even that isn't enough.

sid reports no problems all should sign. hopefully he is right

Signing is not the same as passing the NCAA Clearinghouse and being admitted to the U of M. Last year Gray and Reeves signed but failed to pass the Clearinghouse and Hill failed to gain admittance to the University.

The potential issue that was mentioned with Searcy was regarding grades and not whether he was wavering in his commitment.

anybody else see on rivals that he could have trouble getting into school due to his academics? they have a list of some of the top players that could have trouble getting into school this year and he was the only one mentioned from the gopher pledges. hope he make it

I heard this the day he committed to the U. Guess we'll just have to cross our fingers.

Spoke with Joey tonight

I heard this the day he committed to the U. Guess we'll just have to cross our fingers.

You are correct, he signed, commited, and is all set. I'll use the disclosure I always do when talking with kids...this is subject to change (or possibly be inaccurate) - as they are 17 year old kids.

Anyways, I spoke with Joey right before Coach Brewster's talk at the Signing day social. He told me that he was going to grayshirt next year (I can't remember if Brew mentioned that) and he would be on campus next January, 2010. I asked him why, and he just said that's what scholarship he was given. I did ask him about his ACT, since people had questioned his admittance, and he said he had not gotten his score back yet. He does seem very excited to be a Gopher, and can't wait to get out there!

is this gray shirting stuff common in all programs? seems odd, I find it hard to believe gray shirting would be the best thing for Searcy???

is this gray shirting stuff common in all programs? seems odd, I find it hard to believe gray shirting would be the best thing for Searcy???

I believe we are two over the 85 roster limit if all the guys that signed LOIs yesterday come in. Rengel is gray shirting because of his knee. If Searcy does as well, we should be good. We will have more scholarships next year with more seniors graduating. Something had to happen for the numbers to work out.

Sid has been pretty much 100% dead nuts on regarding Gopher Foots (The ONLY thing he's been right on about) since Brew took over...coincidence or Brewster throwing the old dog a bone?

Grey shirting Searcy? Really? I'm sure there is great logic behind this. Is it just time to get the academics in line. Or are there other considerations at play? Anybody?

Grey shirting Searcy? Really? I'm sure there is great logic behind this. Is it just time to get the academics in line. Or are there other considerations at play? Anybody?

I think the Gophers have met their 85 scholarship limit for players expected to be on the team next fall. The grey shirt allows the team to sign a recruit this year, but have the scholarship count for 2010. I wouldn't be surprised if there isn't another grey shirt or two, especially if we end up signing Trabis Ward.

I know why we want to grey shirt some one, but why him?

Can someone explain "grayshirt"? Do they actually start school? Does the scholarship pay or does the kid?
Thanks

I believe a gray-shirt starts school in the 2nd semester of the academic year. In other words, Searcy would enroll in January, 2010.

Gray shirt

I believe a gray-shirt starts school in the 2nd semester of the academic year. In other words, Searcy would enroll in January, 2010.

Thanks, 50. So he wouldn't count against the 2009 limit and also wouldn't affect the 85 scholarship limit until the following year until after all those seniors graduate next year. Makes sense. :)

anybody else see on rivals that he could have trouble getting into school due to his academics? they have a list of some of the top players that could have trouble getting into school this year and he was the oLetnly one mentioned from the gopher pledges. hope he make it

For anybody interested here is a link to a rivals article listing some high risk recruits (or juco bound as they suggest) that some mentioned above.

Hope it isn't true and he is neck deep in scholastic improvement right now:(

Top Bottom