Joey King - Hats off to Thee!!!!!

BleedGopher

Reaction score
He's taken quite a bit of heat from fans and media, but dang this kid loves the Gopher program!! He has endured a lot during his tenure here but all he does is play hard, plays within himself and is dependable. Tonight he comes out and hits some HUGE 3s early and HUGE FTs late. The raw emotion after the game and passion in this postgame interview will be how I choose to remember his Gopher legacy!!

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Go Joey King!!

rebounding and defense were much improved today. Aside from a couple late contests on 3s, he was quite solid on defense.

Couldn't agree more Bleed. I may dog his abilities on The basketball court, but man did I love watching his emotion in that post game interview. He might not be the best player, but he is an awesome kid who certainly loves the U and plays to the best that his abilities and skill set allow. I am certainly very happy for him and the rest of the kids to get that gargantuan monkey off their backs. Couldn't be happier for Joey and the rest of team!

+1. Whatever his faults, you can't question his desire or effort after seeing that.

We were in the stands right in front of Joey, and while we couldn't hear him, it was clear he was speaking from his heart. We could also see his mom, who was in tears as well.
It was fabulous to get a win, I was happy for the 'kids' (frosh) but happiest of all for Joey.

Whalen chimes in:

Go Gophers!!

Joey has always given 100% and played his butt off. Feel great for him and team tonight.

I was going to make a "farewell to Bo Ryan sign" for the Wisconsin game but this will be changed to a "thank you Joey King" sign.

Well done Joey King with the interview. No stock answer as we're so used to seeing... Raw emotion.. and deflecting all the glory to the fans that shockingly are still there in the seats. Very proud moment for me as a long time gopher fan (yet beaten down by this season) to see the second half of this as I was summoned by a friend of mine to turn the TV on. I'm still surprised that the amount of fans were able to cover the court. Question... Is this a more shocking win than beating Indiana when they were #1. I would argue.... yes.

Joey King is a winner. They guy always gives his best and brings things to the floor no one else on the team does.

I hope the guys can learn from the huge W, finish strong and be ready to raise some havoc in the BT tourney.

Joey and the boys are a 1-13 team that no one wants to play.

"It takes a big man to cry, and a bigger man to make fun of him for it."

Joey absolutely poured his heart out and national TV and gives it his all in every game. Kudos to you Joey!

mplarson7,.... love the Jack Handy reference.

I've been tough on Joey but good for him. What a gutty performance and great interview

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I said it in another thread but you are all spot on. Joey showed up tonight after the only other senior was removed from the team and played one of his best games. He hit two clutch free throws to seal a huge win then after that he gives all the credit to the loyal fans and his younger team mates who never quit and kept improving. No mention of himself. Class act

And Joey's right - its true. While people may lament that the Barn isn't packed as it used to be, there is still a loud contingency of the faithful, and loud they were when the gophers needed the support. There were some Terp fans, who got momentarily boisterous when their team went up one in the second half, but they were quickly silenced.

Seeing how much that win meant to him was really cool. I'm extremely happy for him. Great game, Joey. Now let's get some more wins!

ESPN lead with this interview at the 12am EST show. I had to rewind cause I wasn't expecting it right away if at all.

Joey hit it out of the park with his post game interview, a remarkable moment. It was a great night to be in the Barn.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Joey hit it out of the park with his post game interview, a remarkable moment. It was a great night to be in the Barn.
Well put - hearing the BTN announcers discuss the interview & game - its changed the whole tone of their show

Chris Long of the Rams chimes in:

Go Gophers!!

Joey's point about the fan support is something I've been thinking about a lot lately. This team has lost a lot of games, but I'm surprised every game at how full the barn still gets. I'm not saying it's a sellout, but you hear windbags like Reusse denigrating the team and throwing out numbers like 5000 fans, and it's just obvious that they're not actually attending any of these games. The fans really have been exceptionally loyal this season.

ESPN lead with this interview at the 12am EST show. I had to rewind cause I wasn't expecting it right away if at all.
They showed all Maryland highlights after that though. Minnesota did not get any love at all from the ESPN guys

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

They showed all Maryland highlights after that though. Minnesota did not get any love at all from the ESPN guys

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
They were clearly unprepared for a Minnesota win

Joey's point about the fan support is something I've been thinking about a lot lately. This team has lost a lot of games, but I'm surprised every game at how full the barn still gets. I'm not saying it's a sellout, but you hear windbags like Reusse denigrating the team and throwing out numbers like 5000 fans, and it's just obvious that they're not actually attending any of these games. The fans really have been exceptionally loyal this season.

I'm very happy for the players, and, like others, most happy for Joey. But being the petty person that I am, I'm also happy that it shows up the media assh*les like Reusse, Barreiro, and Zulgad. Ya, it's been a miserable season but all they've done is heap scorn on the players, coach, and the U. Never really saw or heard anything from them noting the improvement and promise. Assh*le Zulgad today spent his time on the Gophers saying there was no hope for Pitino and speculating we'll have an interim coach to finish the season next year. That, and saying nobody cared any more they were so bad. Got to credit Spencer. When Zulgad tried to bait him today, Spencer didn't predict a victory, but he said he expected a close game.

That was an awesome interview, one of the best post-game interviews I've ever seen out of a player.

That was an awesome interview, one of the best post-game interviews I've ever seen out of a player.

Couldn't agree more! I got home from the game, drained from emotion. Sat down and watched this on replay... I was a teary mess after that.. how can you not love Joey King and all he represents after that? He was talking about how "we are going to be better next year", using "we" when he knows he is graduating.. that is good stuff. Hats off to thee!

I didn't get to watch the game and all I was able to see was the Joey interview. It brought tears to my eyes and summed up for my mind what it means to be a teammate and a college athlete that loves their school.

I've been hard on the kid for several years now but I became a fan after his post game interview. Basketball aside, how could anyone not be a fan? On the Big Ten page every Maryland fan was in awe of his post game comments.

Top Bottom