Joey King - Hats off to Thee!!!!!

Well, the change in team chemistry seems to have helped out Joey. Good job.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Excellent effort by King and the rest of the team. I am impressed by how they are playing together better and are making strides. This could be a .500 team in a weak B1G next year.

Excellent effort by King and the rest of the team. I am impressed by how they are playing together better and are making strides. This could be a .500 team in a weak B1G next year.

We've already determined the B1G will be weak next season?

I think the Big Ten will be pretty good still. Guessing 6-8 teams make the dance like usual, Sparty will be the heavy favorites with their current recruiting class. Maryland, Iowa, IU, and Purdue will probably take steps back, but they should all field competitive teams. Michigan should be about the same. Wisconsin, Ohio State, NW, Nebraska and Minny should all be better either by recruiting or just getting certain guys eligible and healthy. The Illini might still be stuck in neutral, but the'll still have Nunn and Hill. Rutgers will still be bad, but can't imagine they'll be as bad. I think after Sparty 2-11 could truly be a giant cluster, not to many gimmies, the teams that will emerge will be the one's that can figure it out on the road

Especially when you consider how young the team is. It is hard for veteran teams to stick together when they are losing a lot. Even harder for young teams. Yet they continue to play hard.

Agree Michigan State will be the clear favorite next year, especially if Davis comes back for his sophomore season. Loaded even with Valentine, Costello, and Forbes departing.

I would be more inclined to say #4 through 13 will be a crap shoot. Assuming Koenig & Hayes return, I'd put Wisconsin & Ohio State in the #2 and #3 spots right behind MSU. Don't know where I'd go for who'll be #4. I want to say Maryland, but I was thoroughly underwhelmed by the Terps last night.

Nebraska a potential sleeper? And I'll be interested to see how Northwestern handles increased expectations. I think 2016-17 is the season Northwestern fans should realistically be thinking NCAA Tournament.

Agree Michigan State will be the clear favorite next year, especially if Davis comes back for his sophomore season. Loaded even with Valentine, Costello, and Forbes departing.

I would be more inclined to say #4 through 13 will be a crap shoot. Assuming Koenig & Hayes return, I'd put Wisconsin & Ohio State in the #2 and #3 spots right behind MSU. Don't know where I'd go for who'll be #4. I want to say Maryland, but I was thoroughly underwhelmed by the Terps last night.

Nebraska a potential sleeper? And I'll be interested to see how Northwestern handles increased expectations. I think 2016-17 is the season Northwestern fans should realistically be thinking NCAA Tournament.

I was at the MSU vs. Wisc. game last night and Wisconsin greatly underwhelmed. MSU might be that good I don't know. The 12 points loss was a lot closer than the game was played as the walk-ons for MSU gave up 5 points in 30 seconds and Izzo pulled them and put his starters back in. Anyway MSU students just started Chanting "NIGEL " over and over again about half way in the 2nd half. He only had like 5 points and it really looked like it got in his head. Also Hayes was on the bench and the MSU students kept chanting "We want Nigel" it was hilarious. I'm not sure I've ever heard home fans asking for the opposing teams star to be brought back in the game before. Point is, with a coaching change I'm not sure Wisc. is a top 3 Big ten team next year.

I'm wondering if there will be a Road to 21 thread from SS next year (after a one year hiatus)? Or too early to tell?

I'm wondering if there will be a Road to 21 thread from SS next year (after a one year hiatus)? Or too early to tell?

I think Road to the NIT would be the appropriate bar to set prior to next season.

If the Gophers are close to the bubble next February, all the better. Guessing next season is one where Gopher fans would be thrilled to be considered Bubblicious heading into college basketball's penultimate month.

I mostly agree, but Penn St. should also be much improved next year. They do lose their leading scorer, but are bringing in a top 20 or a top 10 recruiting class depending on which service you are looking at.

I mostly agree, but Penn St. should also be much improved next year. They do lose their leading scorer, but are bringing in a top 20 or a top 10 recruiting class depending on which service you are looking at.

Good point. It's possible we could see Penn State, Nebraska, and Northwestern all make significant jumps. Hopefully, Minnesota, too.

I think the Big Ten will be pretty good still. Guessing 6-8 teams make the dance like usual, Sparty will be the heavy favorites with their current recruiting class. Maryland, Iowa, IU, and Purdue will probably take steps back, but they should all field competitive teams. Michigan should be about the same. Wisconsin, Ohio State, NW, Nebraska and Minny should all be better either by recruiting or just getting certain guys eligible and healthy. The Illini might still be stuck in neutral, but the'll still have Nunn and Hill. Rutgers will still be bad, but can't imagine they'll be as bad. I think after Sparty 2-11 could truly be a giant cluster, not to many gimmies, the teams that will emerge will be the one's that can figure it out on the road

Is it just me, or does it feel like Kendrick Nunn is one of those guys who has been around forever? Like Robbie Hummel or Shavon Shields?

Couldn't agree more! I got home from the game, drained from emotion. Sat down and watched this on replay... I was a teary mess after that.. how can you not love Joey King and all he represents after that? He was talking about how "we are going to be better next year", using "we" when he knows he is graduating.. that is good stuff. Hats off to thee!

Exactly what I noticed. Gracious & humble. Giving all the credit to his teammates & the fans, and did not hesitate for a second when using "we". Major respect for the young man. He will be a Golden Gopher forever.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

He's taken quite a bit of heat from fans and media, but dang this kid loves the Gopher program!! He has endured a lot during his tenure here but all he does is play hard, plays within himself and is dependable. Tonight he comes out and hits some HUGE 3s early and HUGE FTs late. The raw emotion after the game and passion in this postgame interview will be how I choose to remember his Gopher legacy!!

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Go Joey King!!

Wonderful post by you Bleed and a wonderful interview by Joey.

He's taken quite a bit of heat from fans and media, but dang this kid loves the Gopher program!! He has endured a lot during his tenure here but all he does is play hard, plays within himself and is dependable. Tonight he comes out and hits some HUGE 3s early and HUGE FTs late. The raw emotion after the game and passion in this postgame interview will be how I choose to remember his Gopher legacy!!

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Go Joey King!!

Hey...I feel so happy for Joey King. Regardless of what many people on this board think, this team will miss him next year. I think he has been a very good captain...and a great example for this young team with his hard work and attitude. It's nice to see a local kid do well, and he is what college sports is all about.

I watched Joey King play a lot of basketball in high school...as he played in a stacked South Suburban Conference. His senior year they only lost one game (until the state tournament)....they split the season match up with Lakeville North who also only lost one game. Eastview beat Apple Valley (and Tyus Jones) three times that year, including the section final to go to state. Apple Valley only lost 6 games and 5 of them were to Lakeville North and Eastview. Eastview lost in OT to Eden Prairie in the first round at state that year....and the ironic part is that King missed a free throw down the stretch that would have pretty much won the game for Eastview if I'm remembering it correctly. And now King is probably the best free-throw shooter in the country....and there is no one I would rather have shooting free throws with the game on the line.

I think Road to the NIT would be the appropriate bar to set prior to next season.

If the Gophers are close to the bubble next February, all the better. Guessing next season is one where Gopher fans would be thrilled to be considered Bubblicious heading into college basketball's penultimate month.

I've been more critical of Pitino than almost anyone on here....but if we get to 8 wins in the B1G next year, I think would be awesome....and it would definitely show that this team is going in the right direction. I'm not going to put the bar at make the NCAA Tournament or else. I think 8 or more wins...with that young team....especially after this year...I would be all for giving Pitino a few more years after next season....but if it's 5 or 6....or maybe even 7 depending on how we get there....all bets are off. Sorry if that is too negative....

I'm sure the B1G will also be plenty good next year.

Took another listen to Joey's post game interview. Take notice of how many times he says words like "we", "our", "teammate", or "team". I came up with 12 or 13 times. The only time heard an "I" was referencing that he wanted to be the guy making free throws at the end of the game. Even then, he quickly credited his freshman teammate (Murphy) stepping up and making big free throws after struggling with free throws much of the season.

Ladies and gentlemen, this is what earned celebrity looks like.

Took another listen to Joey's post game interview. Take notice of how many times he says words like "we", "our", "teammate", or "team". I came up with 12 or 13 times. The only time heard an "I" was referencing that he wanted to be the guy making free throws at the end of the game. Even then, he quickly credited his freshman teammate (Murphy) stepping up and making big free throws after struggling with free throws much of the season.
Yes, it was clear from his body language that he was speaking from his heart - and you really can't fake or bullsht what is in your heart. Lots of people get revealed for who they really are in moments like this, for better or worse. Joey showed us who he is, his character, and I know there must be a lot of people who are really proud of him. It is a moment and interview I will long remember.

Yes, it was clear from his body language that he was speaking from his heart - and you really can't fake or bullsht what is in your heart. Lots of people get revealed for who they really are in moments like this, for better or worse. Joey showed us who he is, his character, and I know there must be a lot of people who are really proud of him. It is a moment and interview I will long remember.

It makes grateful for YouTube.

Lots of people get revealed for who they really are in moments like this, for better or worse.

Like watching your brother ice a Super Bowl? What a D-Bag.

mannings.0.gif

It was great to see this getting so much play on national TV. Always good to see people taking step back to appreciate the effort that goes into the game, regardless of the outcome and great to take time to commend quality people like Joey.

Shon Morris on BTN Sunday nite and Kings interview and why he loves basketball : 'these young men that go out and represent their institutions and we had an example of it in Joey King....we saw a guy who cared deeply about his teammates, he cared deeply about the fans that come out an support him and his institution and what he said, "our team next year is going to be great and Joey King will not be on the roster." '

It's heart warming to see this kind of character and loyalty from a college athlete. I'm so very proud that Joey is a Gopher.

Joey's interview should be shown to HS players throughout the state on how to be a class act and top notch team mate.

I noticed that as well. That was a hell of an interview. Won't forget that one anytime soon. He really set the bar high

Just wanted to say congrats for a great win for you all. The emotion and heart showed during the game and after w Pitino and Kings interviews are what college basketball is all about. I personally didn't like Costello's over the top in-game celebrations when MSU beat us at MSU .... but that's the college atmosphere that makes it great.

Awesome display and a great reminder that these are college kids and seniors are taking the floor for the last time.

Top Bottom