Joe Coleman status next year

Joe missed a few gimmes around the basket himself. In a blowout like this, there's plenty of blame to spread.

Turning it over 22 times, letting them shoot 50% from the field, having your two best players in foul trouble, and not being able to finish in close have very little to do with being predictable. Still a good run to finish the season. Now we'll get to see how things shake out for next year.
Really? Also, the FG% of 37.3% could have something to do with not being able to get open shots from being predictable.

I don't know where Coleman would go. I don't have his Rivals profile in front of me, but I don't recall him having any other BCS offers. Maybe Iowa State.

Edit: That was a stupid post. I'm sure many BCS teams would love to take him in. I was just trying to say it's not like he has a BCS school that was nipping at his heels that he could go to.

I don't know where Coleman would go. I don't have his Rivals profile in front of me, but I don't recall him having any other BCS offers. Maybe Iowa State.
Iowa State is the only place I can think of.
Checked Rivals:
Power 6 schools that offered Coleman are Iowa State, Minnesota, and Seton Hall

I read on the Iowa State boards at some point that White was saying that someone else from Minnesota was going to be coming down. I think that was before Lockett, but I'm not sure. I guess I thought of Coleman, but I still don't think that his family would let him leave. I think he's just having typical freshman problems that no one ever heard about until facebook/twitter. I still remember being shocked by Jeff Boschee saying in his book that he almost left the Jay Hawks.

Really? Also, the FG% of 37.3% could have something to do with not being able to get open shots from being predictable.

Ya, really. Don't have all the answers like you think you do but look at how many turnovers came in the open court or were just careless. They hustled and employed good defensive principles also. If any team does that, it's going to limit shooting. If you're going to cherry-pick, how about the other points? Good reading comprehension means you understand all of the text; not just what you want to. We just got our butts kicked about half a dozen ways, and it wasn't because we were too predictable. What's predictable is your reaction.

He needs to realize that no matter where he plays he won't be able to get by with only an inside game. It seems to me that Tubby is giving him more opportunity than he deserves. As a freshman he should expect to ride the pines when he is not contributing to the game and against Washington he struggled. Still Tubby gave him big minutes. More than he deserved, I felt.

If he has no faith in his ability to improve his jumper let him transfer. He is only a freshman. If Rodney can improve his jumper, so can he.

His ability to go to the basket is a strength nobody else at his position can match, Now it's time to widen his game.

I agree. You put into words exactly how I feel about him. I am excited to see him as an upperclassmen though.

"Some of the plays we were running that normally work for (Williams and Hollins) were scouted pretty well," Coleman said, "and that made it tough on all of us. After that, we really didn't know what else to call. We kind of struggled communicating and just being on the same page."
Resounding endorsement of Tubby-ball.

"Some of the plays we were running that normally work for (Williams and Hollins) were scouted pretty well," Coleman said, "and that made it tough on all of us. After that, we really didn't know what else to call. We kind of struggled communicating and just being on the same page."

Obviously it's more than just players who have to get better next year. We've seen better defensive versatility in the past several games. Time to add some offensive versatility, too, or the better-coached teams are going to do what Stanford did (and Texas and Xavier in the 1st round NCAA games we've lost).

Stanford

Stanford was stronger or quicker than us at every position. Now maybe they were just playing harder?

I don't think it was about plays. They were playing a very physical man to man. Switching or fighting through all screens. They were Michigan st, or Purdue in terms of defense. Plus they had quickness at guard to get good shots and make them.

I think the plays were for Rodney and Austin because they are playing the best ball and give us the best chance to make plays, considering Dre is at the point. Coleman is fustrated with the loss. Of course in his mind he would like plays run for him. But until he is a threat at an outside shot no one is going to chase him around screeens, they will just wait for him to drive into them.

We really could use another quick guard.

We have to get this team past the idea that running away is the answer instead of doing the work. Joe lost minutes because he wasn't making shots or really even taking shots...over the last 5 games he has taken those open looks and hit most of them...that opened up the rest of the floor and everyone benefited...Tubby was right to shorten his minutes earlier, IMO, as it had the desired effect. When did our BB players become such spoiled brats? I blame RSIII for this sense of entitlement.

How can you blame RSIII for people running away instead of toughing it out in MN when he was the only one in his class who stayed here?

Perhaps Joe should take personal accountability like Dre instead of throwing others (coaches) under bus. Appreciation for Joe is falling rapidly. Also, perhaps when you execute and not make dumb mental mistakes, actual plays could still work? If forced to choose between Tubby and Joe. I choose Tubby. That said, Joe has moxie and if he gets his head on straight and works on his game and trusts the system, perhaps he will flourish. He has the talent..

I have no doubt Joe is going to being a solid 4-year contributor for the Gophers if he chooses to stick around. I hope he does.

But these comments lead me to believe that Joe is human, what we're hearing is a natural reaction. Does anyone really think Joe hasn't heard the rumors/rumblings/footsteps that Trent Lockett might join the program, which likely would affect Joe's minutes (at least for one season)?

I prefer as many good, B1G-caliber basketball players as possible on the Gopher roster. Joe Coleman and Trent Lockett both are/will be B1G-caliber basketball players.

Perhaps Joe should take personal accountability like Dre instead of throwing others (coaches) under bus. Appreciation for Joe is falling rapidly. Also, perhaps when you execute and not make dumb mental mistakes, actual plays could still work? If forced to choose between Tubby and Joe. I choose Tubby. That said, Joe has moxie and if he gets his head on straight and works on his game and trusts the system, perhaps he will flourish. He has the talent..

Joe is right. The staff never adjusted to what Stanford was doing. But Joe is wrong. He shouldn't be saying this publicly.
Overall the coaches and the team had a nice post season run- everyone did a good job and everyone can improve- including the coaches.

+1. Very good post. Joe has huge holes in his game...think everything on the perimeter. Start working on them joe has and take some accountability. See dre's response from last night.

Joe is a freshman.....he should be seen and not heard.
Shut up. Hit the weight room. Hit the gym. Develop a jump shot.

I read on the Iowa State boards at some point that White was saying that someone else from Minnesota was going to be coming down. I think that was before Lockett, but I'm not sure. I guess I thought of Coleman, but I still don't think that his family would let him leave. I think he's just having typical freshman problems that no one ever heard about until facebook/twitter. I still remember being shocked by Jeff Boschee saying in his book that he almost left the Jay Hawks.

I'm not sure which shocks me more. That Jeff Boschee wrote a book. Or that someone actually read it.

Must be A-OK for tubby to trash the kids........publicly.

Joe is right. The staff never adjusted to what Stanford was doing. But Joe is wrong. He shouldn't be saying this publicly.
Overall the coaches and the team had a nice post season run- everyone did a good job and everyone can improve- including the coaches.

Well said.

Joe is a freshman.....he should be seen and not heard.
Shut up. Hit the weight room. Hit the gym. Develop a jump shot.

Not exactly politically correct, but I generally agree.

One play in particular made me very angry with Joe. He was dribbling the ball up the court and crossed the time line. The Stanford guard came up to him and simply tore the ball right away from him. Was that a bad play call, Joe?

Must be A-OK for tubby to trash the kids........publicly.

Not exactly "A-OK", but it is not the same.

Tubby and Joe Coleman are not equals. Tubby has a higher status and a higher title than Joe. That's just the fact of the matter.

I really dislike this thread. People are just using it to take cheap shots at Joe. He is an 18 year old who was frustrated after the game, and what he tweeted isn't that bad at all - get over it. It's one thing to critique him, but there are too many people taking cheap shots at him.

Ya, really. Don't have all the answers like you think you do but look at how many turnovers came in the open court or were just careless. They hustled and employed good defensive principles also. If any team does that, it's going to limit shooting. If you're going to cherry-pick, how about the other points? Good reading comprehension means you understand all of the text; not just what you want to. We just got our butts kicked about half a dozen ways, and it wasn't because we were too predictable. What's predictable is your reaction.
If a team is being predictable, they have to try something different in order to score. That leads to mistakes, sometimes careless passes. If the other team is able to predict what you are going to do it makes it a lot easier to be defensively sound. It's a lot easier to play offense if the defense isn't prepared for almost everything you throw at them. Did I say it's the reason we lost? No, but it's part of the reason we got blown out.

I really dislike this thread. People are just using it to take cheap shots at Joe. He is an 18 year old who was frustrated after the game, and what he tweeted isn't that bad at all - get over it. It's one thing to critique him, but there are too many people taking cheap shots at him.

I agree - good point. And I am guilty. As long as Joe calms down, I can understand his statements - heat of the battle and all that.

Carry on.

He's right. They were too predictable.

Can you give some examples of them being too predictable? It they couldn't execute the plays that they had prepared, how would they do any better changing things. Could it just be that Stanford was better and deeper than our squad? We just didn't have the talent to match up: No RS111, TM, big Mo, Otto. That's 4 of our bigs. Add the fact Dre got in early foul trouble, and then Rodney, and we just couldn't match up. It's that simple. To say we were too predictable is ridiculous. Is Wisconsin too predictable with their swing offense. Come on man.

Can you give some examples of them being too predictable? It they couldn't execute the plays that they had prepared, how would they do any better changing things. Could it just be that Stanford was better and deeper than our squad? We just didn't have the talent to match up: No RS111, TM, big Mo, Otto. That's 4 of our bigs. Add the fact Dre got in early foul trouble, and then Rodney, and we just couldn't match up. It's that simple. To say we were too predictable is ridiculous. Is Wisconsin too predictable with their swing offense. Come on man.
Well, I'm going to re-watch the game tomorrow so I'll get back to you about that, but WI didn't run much swing this year. UWOle, I think, pointed it out as Bo Ryan going away from his traditional system. Also, I ran swing in HS and I didn't recognize what they did as swing. But my impression while watching the game is that they were being really predictable. At the beginning of the game they were making nice passes when driving to the short corner and getting easy shots. As the game went on (even when Dre was in) Stanford caught on and took that away but we kept trying.

Well, I'm going to re-watch the game tomorrow so I'll get back to you about that, but WI didn't run much swing this year. UWOle, I think, pointed it out as Bo Ryan going away from his traditional system. Also, I ran swing in HS and I didn't recognize what they did as swing. But my impression while watching the game is that they were being really predictable. At the beginning of the game they were making nice passes when driving to the short corner and getting easy shots. As the game went on (even when Dre was in) Stanford caught on and took that away but we kept trying.

Actually, they do run the swing a lot. They just are unable to get much offense out of it, or just use it to milk the clock, then go the high pick and roll with JT. After Dre got in foul trouble, he lost his aggressiveness. Stanford also really got the momentum going. It's really not that complicated. Maybe if our squad would change things up a lot more they would have about 10 more wins this year. Sounds too good to be true doesn't it?

Actually, they do run the swing a lot. They just are unable to get much offense out of it, or just use it to milk the clock, then go the high pick and roll with JT. After Dre got in foul trouble, he lost his aggressiveness. Stanford also really got the momentum going. It's really not that complicated. Maybe if our squad would change things up a lot more they would have about 10 more wins this year. Sounds too good to be true doesn't it?
Maybe you and I have a different definition of swing. A few years ago I could watch WI play and most the time know exactly what they were doing because I ran swing as well. But this year I didn't recognize it at all.
Actually, I think if they had tried something different when they took the air out of the ball than just dribble and drive, they would have a couple more wins, but I see your point.

If Lockett comes, Joe could redshirt. I don't think he would want to, but that would give him a 2 year gap with Austin. He also wouldn't be affected by Lockett's arrival if he were to redshirt.

Just an idea.

Top Bottom