Joe Coleman status next year

GoldenUMNGopher

Reaction score
I dont know if this is just people speculating or just throwing stuff out there, but ive seen in previous posts people mentioning that Joe Coleman wasn't happy and may end up transferring. Is this old news from earlier on in the year or is there still news he may not be happy with his role? Would be unfortunate if he ended up leaving next year, cause i think hes going to end up being great by the time he is done.

Thoughts?

Most have come to the conclusion that he had these thoughts when he had that scoreless streak and was struggling.

He is starting and contributing in a big way as a freshman. He isn't going anywhere. I agree that this "rumor" needs to die.

I dont know if this is just people speculating or just throwing stuff out there, but ive seen in previous posts people mentioning that Joe Coleman wasn't happy and may end up transferring. Is this old news from earlier on in the year or is there still news he may not be happy with his role? Would be unfortunate if he ended up leaving next year, cause i think hes going to end up being great by the time he is done.

Thoughts?

Multiple people confirm he was talking seriously about a transfer a couple different times this year. I just heard about it last week & am not sure how recent it is? It sounded like it was right now, but now with all the reports of his wanting out earlier in the season maybe it was old news? One things for sure, winning fixes lot's of problems.

Multiple people confirm he was talking seriously about a transfer a couple different times this year. I just heard about it last week & am not sure how recent it is? It sounded like it was right now, but now with all the reports of his wanting out earlier in the season maybe it was old news? One things for sure, winning fixes lot's of problems.

Well I sure as heck hope he doesn't wish to go, especially being a hometown kid like that. Over the course of the season he's had some erratic minutes and equally erratic performances, but such is the lot of a true freshman in the Big Ten. It ain't always easy, and in fact sometimes it's quite hard, and verily so. He's playing against the very top tier, and I hope he just understands that, and doesn't allow momentary frustrations to overwhelm him. He has great potential, and has obviously got a place on this team going forward, so hang in there, young Mr. Joseph Coleman. It will get easier, and I really hope you do.

Joe needs to get in this gym this summer and shoot 300 shots a day. He got his minutes, but teams wised up and starting backing up off from him and he couldn't get his game off. The only way to remedy that is to become an outside threat.

Joe needs to get in this gym this summer and shoot 300 shots a day. He got his minutes, but teams wised up and starting backing up off from him and he couldn't get his game off. The only way to remedy that is to become an outside threat.

I definitely agree that Joe Coleman needs to improve on his shooting. I am not too concerned about that as he has good form and doesn't look awkward shooting. A kid like that, it usually comes around.

However, I really hope that Joe Coleman keeps being aggressive. I think his biggest problem during his midseason scoreless streak was that he stopped being aggressive. In those 4 games, he didn't score but he missed a total of 9 shots. When Joe is being aggressive he is the perfect counter Austin Hollins game. Additionally, his attacking nature really opens it up for Rodney Williams (and presumably Trevor next season).

What we need out of Joe next year is for him to realize just how good he is. I really believe that he has close to the same potential as Andre Hollins.

Costa just made the ignore list.

He is starting and contributing in a big way as a freshman. He isn't going anywhere. I agree that this "rumor" needs to die.

It's a garbage rumor, I'd bet my house on it.

Ask his brother.

We have to get this team past the idea that running away is the answer instead of doing the work. Joe lost minutes because he wasn't making shots or really even taking shots...over the last 5 games he has taken those open looks and hit most of them...that opened up the rest of the floor and everyone benefited...Tubby was right to shorten his minutes earlier, IMO, as it had the desired effect. When did our BB players become such spoiled brats? I blame RSIII for this sense of entitlement.

We have to get this team past the idea that running away is the answer instead of doing the work. Joe lost minutes because he wasn't making shots or really even taking shots...over the last 5 games he has taken those open looks and hit most of them...that opened up the rest of the floor and everyone benefited...Tubby was right to shorten his minutes earlier, IMO, as it had the desired effect. When did our BB players become such spoiled brats? I blame RSIII for this sense of entitlement.

Brats? This label, though a bit hyperbolic, applies to kids from many schools. As to when it became applicable? When the NBA started to sign kids before they graduated from college.

Brats, buns and beer.

:drink::drink::drink:

Just filling in for Dr Don this morning.

Brats? This label, though a bit hyperbolic, applies to kids from many schools. As to when it became applicable? When the NBA started to sign kids before they graduated from college.

It is also not limited to elite athletes, but it is turning around. After a decade of working with 16-22 year olds who often had at least a subtle sense of entitlement, I have seen over the last couple of years a real turn around in general attitude. They are more humble and grateful for what they have. Maybe its the economy. Maybe its seeing their parents struggle. Who knows? It is a good thing.

I definitely agree that Joe Coleman needs to improve on his shooting. I am not too concerned about that as he has good form and doesn't look awkward shooting. A kid like that, it usually comes around.

However, I really hope that Joe Coleman keeps being aggressive. I think his biggest problem during his midseason scoreless streak was that he stopped being aggressive. In those 4 games, he didn't score but he missed a total of 9 shots. When Joe is being aggressive he is the perfect counter Austin Hollins game. Additionally, his attacking nature really opens it up for Rodney Williams (and presumably Trevor next season).

What we need out of Joe next year is for him to realize just how good he is. I really believe that he has close to the same potential as Andre Hollins.

I hope you're right.

However, he is 19 years old and has been playing basketball for 10+ years - and this is where his jump shot is. What scares me is that I know he is a hard worker, dedicated, etc; and this is as good as his jump shot is. I like the kid, but his jumper is alarming.

I hope you're right.

However, he is 19 years old and has been playing basketball for 10+ years - and this is where his jump shot is. What scares me is that I know he is a hard worker, dedicated, etc; and this is as good as his jump shot is. I like the kid, but his jumper is alarming.
In HS, he could beat kids even if they knew his outside game was weak. This is the first time he has played against talent he can't beat when they know he does not want to shoot jumpers. For an aggressive kid, going to the hole is a lot more exciting than a 15 foot jumper if he can keep doing it. Shooting practice gets more serious when that no longer works all of the time.
Making shots from outside has now gone from an intellectual understanding that he needed to improve, to an emotional understanding that it is a problem. Not to say he won't do it, but his shooting does not get better automatically by transferring.

In HS, he could beat kids even if they knew his outside game was weak. This is the first time he has played against talent he can't beat when they know he does not want to shoot jumpers. For an aggressive kid, going to the hole is a lot more exciting than a 15 foot jumper if he can keep doing it. Shooting practice gets more serious when that no longer works all of the time.
Making shots from outside has now gone from an intellectual understanding that he needed to improve, to an emotional understanding that it is a problem. Not to say he won't do it, but his shooting does not get better automatically by transferring.

I lived in Chicago during the Jordan years. As hard as it is to believe now, all MJ talked about in his early years was his need to improve his outside shooting. Obviously, I'm not comparing the two, but corcoran1 hit it on the head. I expect Joe will be able to make the adjustments over time.

I like eating brats. I enjoy the scenery of nice buns. I love beer. 3 out of 3. Well done, 19.

Don, Are those buns of 15 year olds.... or 18+ year olds???.... just checkin'.

howieramone said:
I lived in Chicago during the Jordan years. As hard as it is to believe now, all MJ talked about in his early years was his need to improve his outside shooting. Obviously, I'm not comparing the two, but corcoran1 hit it on the head. I expect Joe will be able to make the adjustments over time.

Jordan shot 18% from 3 one year in the NBA. yikes.

Joe Coleman. does not....

turn 19 until June....I think he has time to improve.

Likewise, Rodney....even though he has 3 years in, will not be 21 until July...and is actually younger than Udub sophomore star Terrence Ross.

Players mature at different stages. and I like what I see in the future for both young men.

I lived in Chicago during the Jordan years. As hard as it is to believe now, all MJ talked about in his early years was his need to improve his outside shooting.

And did he?

I can't imagine it being legit at this point (just guessing)? I haven't heard anything new, but he's got a great future & I bet it's fun to be on this team right now.

He needs to realize that no matter where he plays he won't be able to get by with only an inside game. It seems to me that Tubby is giving him more opportunity than he deserves. As a freshman he should expect to ride the pines when he is not contributing to the game and against Washington he struggled. Still Tubby gave him big minutes. More than he deserved, I felt.

If he has no faith in his ability to improve his jumper let him transfer. He is only a freshman. If Rodney can improve his jumper, so can he.

His ability to go to the basket is a strength nobody else at his position can match, Now it's time to widen his game.

Too lazy to quote it, but I don't think that RSIII really had a sense of entitlement, or acted like it that way. He's always seemed to be a good teammate and during this stretch where he has not been playing, he's still into the games. It's not his fault that he got a ton of playing time. I guess it may just be me, but I've never had the spoiled brat/entitled/arrogant feeling about Ralph.

Tweet from Fuller: Joe Coleman said Gophers got blown out because they weren't prepared enough against Stanford's D. "We kept running the same plays," he said.

Tweet from Fuller: Joe Coleman said Gophers got blown out because they weren't prepared enough against Stanford's D. "We kept running the same plays," he said.
He's right. They were too predictable.

Uh-oh. That sounds like a shot at the coach.

He's right. They were too predictable.

Turning it over 22 times, letting them shoot 50% from the field, having your two best players in foul trouble, and not being able to finish in close have very little to do with being predictable. Still a good run to finish the season. Now we'll get to see how things shake out for next year.

Top Bottom