Jerry Kill's Press Conference Notes: We took a step back on Saturday, but now we...

Status
Not open for further replies.

GopherLady

Reaction score
...need to take 2 steps forward.

http://www.gopherhole.com/news_article/show/294812?referrer_id=388419

• Looking forward to getting back on the practice field today and getting our kids on track and get better. You have to have short term memory, we've taken care of everything we needed to on Sunday.
• You have to go through all 4 games, the game of football is different every week. You're working with kids, we all, I know Coach Hoke very well and he knows me very well. Football is about execution, when you execute well, good things happen. They've had a week off, and I'm sure they’ve worked on execution. Michigan is a very good football team, them and OSU have as good of athletes as anyone in the country.
• I don't think on Sunday we just talked offense, we talked the whole game. We watched the whole game, it's never as bad as you think it is, and it's never as good as you want it to be. We got beat fundamentally, the placement of feet, hands, tackling, etc...it has nothing to do with schemes, it was fundamentals.
• We can't control what happened against Iowa, we need to move forward.
• As you build a program, you need to have one of those defining moments, if we were able to win the jug, that would be a defining moment. That's where our program is. As a program, we want to keep moving forward, we took a step back on Saturday, but now we need to take 2 steps forward.
• It was good to get Donnell back in there and get him sweating a little bit.
• Brock Vereen and Derrick Wells are both ready to go. They both practices Sunday. Derrick has a sore shoulder, needs to build strength back. We don't have a lot of depth in some areas. There are some things we can do to be careful with injuries, but as long as he's cleared to play, we'll continue to be smart.
• Is he frustrated with having to focus on fundamentals 4 weeks in? No, I spent my life on fundamentals. We're coaching young players right now, young players have to continue to work on that. I need to do a better job frankly, I need to do a better job. We need to get the kids coached job.
• Everywhere I've been, we've pulled out a game that were weren't suppose to pull out. What we're disappointed about, is our kids had a great Friday night, a great pre-game, they were ready to play. I think they were so excited about playing in front of a big crowd, that we played out of control. We played so darn hard that it was out of control. We're not taking anything away from Iowa, but we're better than we played.
• It was an ugly game for us, certainly from an offensive standpoint. But as ugly as it was, Marcus Jones got us some momentum. If and butts were candy and nuts, we'd all have a Merry Christmas.
• You concentrate on what you know happened, you take that and you go fix it. Our kids have enough pride in what they're doing and they want to do well. There's no guarantees. When you lose a game, if we fundamentally used our hands and executed and did all those things and you get beat - I can walk in here and say we did everything we could. When you don't that bothers you as a coach.
• I thought our receivers played well, by the way, and we did good job at the kicking game.
• It takes a while at the QB position, nobody likes to be patient. Phillip and Mitch are going to learn a lot.
• We didn't play very good at linebacker, we need to get better at that. You've got discipline and repetition.
• We missed Mike Henry a lot, a lot. He's going to be riding a bike today. Until someone's gone, you never know ho much you miss them. It hurt us, it hurt our execution.

We can't control what happened against Iowa, we need to move forward.

Actually you can control a lot of things against Iowa. You can control who you start at qb (don't let a Sophomore tell you who your qb will be). You can call better plays on offense and defense. You can stop trying to avoid losing and start trying to win.
And what about Eric Klein and how strong he has made everyone? Where is this strength? I need to be talked off the ledge by someone (or else pushed). This was the worst Gopher experience I've had. The Iowa fans in our section were so obnoxious.

Actually you can control a lot of things against Iowa. You can control who you start at qb (don't let a Sophomore tell you who your qb will be). You can call better plays on offense and defense. You can stop trying to avoid losing and start trying to win.
And what about Eric Klein and how strong he has made everyone? Where is this strength? I need to be talked off the ledge by someone (or else pushed). This was the worst Gopher experience I've had. The Iowa fans in our section were so obnoxious.

WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA. It's Tuesday, move on. If Saturday was your worst Gopher experience, you have no perspective of the last 40 years.

Obviously coach was saying that you can't control what's already happened. You're arguing with something he didn't say.

And if a 23-7 loss is your worst-ever Gophers experience, you haven't been a fan for long.

WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA. It's Tuesday, move on. If Saturday was your worst Gopher experience, you have no perspective of the last 40 years.

This wasn't even the worst Iowa experience in the last five years (55-0), so yeah, just a bit of an overreaction there. It was a rough game, but c'mon now lol.

I'll be very interested in seeing the response. It'd be silly to expect a win here, but Michigan hasn't exactly looked like world beaters, they're gettable, so to speak. If we can make them feel pressure, you never know what could happen. Plus, they gotta get revenge for 58-0 lol.

This is about where things stand today.

For the most part, Gophers fans were hoping/expecting the following to happen in the next 4-5 weeks: Beat Iowa, lose to Michigan, lose to Northwestern, and perhaps lose to Nebraska.

Winning any one of the next three games, while difficult, will keep them right on the track that many were expecting when the season opened up. We'll see what happens. I'm particularly interested in the Penn State - Indiana game this week. I think the Gophers can beat both of them; at least one of them could be on a pretty rough losing streak by the time they play the Gophers.

I'm also hoping for Northwestern to get a firm, solid, physical beat down in the next two week against OSU and Wisky, before the Gophers roll into Evanston. The Wildcats being physically and mentally spent heading into that game, for which the Gophers get two weeks to prepare, would help the Gophers' chances a LOT.

Press Conference Notes...

Thanks for getting this out to us, GL, again... always much appreciated while at work.

It wasn't just the linebackers that played poorly on Saturday, the whole weakside of the defense was poor, even the defensive line.
and #99 Shede Hageman and #55 Cockharan did not have particularly good football games on Saturday and neither did Keith or older Epke. Hill for a senior sure took himself out of a lot of plays and tried to do other people's jobs which was disappointing. One of your most experienced linebackers and he was missing in action on plays he should have been involved in. Only Botticelli and Roland Johnson played well in the front seven, the whole group up front made a lot of mistakes.
Wilson vacated a lot of plays and tried to side stip blocks just like last years group did.
They took themselves out of the plays just like the linebackers did on Saturday, Hill should have never chased the guy on that big run by the QB after he broke containment on Saturday, he was so late to react on that play.
If they play under control and do not lose themselves the defense can be good, they just need to do there own jobs.

I'm sure he meant we can't "change" what happened with Iowa.... Yes I think ns I'm sure Kill realizes he could have "controlled" a little better what was happening against Iowa at the time...

jump...jump...JUMP!!!

So you just became a Gopher fan last Friday huh?

It was one of the worst coached games.

The Gophers usually lose because the other teams have better players. Iowa
will probably not win more than 2 Big Ten games.

This one is on the coaching staff.

What a bunch of garbage

I know I'm not a big Kill guy, but am I the only one that is really tired of his routine. Am I the only one that is starting to think the southern drawl aw-shucks routine is just that, a routine. He sounds so-unlike any of us, but says things we would say, so are we cutting him slack he shouldn't be cut? Is he taking advantage? Just break down some of the things he said/talked about in detail-

• Looking forward to getting back on the practice field today and getting our kids on track and get better. You have to have short term memory, we've taken care of everything we needed to on Sunday. He wants us to forget that a week ago this time, we were all really excited for the Iowa game. I think he is trying to ignore the massive let down that game was for the fan base. It was arguably the biggest build up to a game of the Kill era and we laid a massive egg. Of course he would want us to forget
• You have to go through all 4 games, the game of football is different every week. You're working with kids, we all, I know Coach Hoke very well and he knows me very well. Football is about execution, when you execute well, good things happen. They've had a week off, and I'm sure they’ve worked on execution. Michigan is a very good football team, them and OSU have as good of athletes as anyone in the country. This is a bunch of say-nothing cliched gobbldy-guck. Kill talks for a minute and says nothing
• I don't think on Sunday we just talked offense, we talked the whole game. We watched the whole game, it's never as bad as you think it is, and it's never as good as you want it to be. We got beat fundamentally, the placement of feet, hands, tackling, etc...it has nothing to do with schemes, it was fundamentals. Ok coach, if only our players had put their hands in a different place, we'd have one the game. It wasn't play calling or defensive sets at all, because that would be coaching. This answer sounds like he is blaming the players.
• We can't control what happened against Iowa, we need to move forward. You can control what happened to Iowa before the game. Unless he's got a time machine, nobody can control the past, great insight coach, thanks.
• As you build a program, you need to have one of those defining moments, if we were able to win the jug, that would be a defining moment. That's where our program is. As a program, we want to keep moving forward, we took a step back on Saturday, but now we need to take 2 steps forward. Build a program- or take it to the next level. Brewster had us where Mason was at, and then fell back in his 4th year. Mason had us tied for 4th in the Big Ten in his third year. I am sick of this snail slow program building philosophy crap.
• Brock Vereen and Derrick Wells are both ready to go. They both practices Sunday. Derrick has a sore shoulder, needs to build strength back. We don't have a lot of depth in some areas. There are some things we can do to be careful with injuries, but as long as he's cleared to play, we'll continue to be smart.
• Is he frustrated with having to focus on fundamentals 4 weeks in? No, I spent my life on fundamentals. We're coaching young players right now, young players have to continue to work on that. I need to do a better job frankly, I need to do a better job. We need to get the kids coached job. This is him trying to sound like he is taking some of the blame for poor coaching, but in a clever way makes excuses (kids are young) and puts some blame on players. What about last weeks coaching wasn't good enough? Your coaching, or the players taking of your coaching? Either way, a total b.s. cliche' non-answer. And what does he mean by young? Its not like we were starting a bunch of second year players. From what I could tell, they were starting 19 players in their 3rd year or later. ALL COLLEGE KIDS ARE YOUNG. I think that's what he means though, it has to be right?
• Everywhere I've been, we've pulled out a game that were weren't suppose to pull out. What we're disappointed about, is our kids had a great Friday night, a great pre-game, they were ready to play. I think they were so excited about playing in front of a big crowd, that we played out of control. We played so darn hard that it was out of control. We're not taking anything away from Iowa, but we're better than we played. If they were out of control thats 100% on the coaching staff. What are they there for? Keeping control, why does he blame the kids for being excited and not saying he didn't do a good enough job getting them ready and keeping them calm??
• It was an ugly game for us, certainly from an offensive standpoint. But as ugly as it was, Marcus Jones got us some momentum. If and butts were candy and nuts, we'd all have a Merry Christmas. Aw shucks Jer- that's a good one. PUKE.
• You concentrate on what you know happened, you take that and you go fix it. Our kids have enough pride in what they're doing and they want to do well. There's no guarantees. When you lose a game, if we fundamentally used our hands and executed and did all those things and you get beat - I can walk in here and say we did everything we could. When you don't that bothers you as a coach. really, its all about the hands?
• I thought our receivers played well, by the way, and we did good job at the kicking game.
• It takes a while at the QB position, nobody likes to be patient. Phillip and Mitch are going to learn a lot. so nothing about how he went with the injured guy over the hot hand? No reason why he didn't realize his error and correct it in game? What about Nelson was so obviously a better call to start? I actually think Nelson is the Better QB, but how do you not roll with Mitch after what he did vs SJSU?
• We didn't play very good at linebacker, we need to get better at that. You've got discipline and repetition.
• We missed Mike Henry a lot, a lot. He's going to be riding a bike today. Until someone's gone, you never know ho much you miss them. It hurt us, it hurt our execution.So he is not blaming Henry for our inability to execute? As if the player next you controls where you put your hands....

In reading the recap, its just obvious to me that Kill isn't going to get us to the next level. His top level is Mason, at best, and he wants another 3-4 years to get there (when it took Mason himself only 3).

It wasn't just the linebackers that played poorly on Saturday, the whole weakside of the defense was poor, even the defensive line.
and #99 Shede Hageman and #55 Cockharan did not have particularly good football games on Saturday and neither did Keith or older Epke. Hill for a senior sure took himself out of a lot of plays and tried to do other people's jobs which was disappointing. One of your most experienced linebackers and he was missing in action on plays he should have been involved in. Only Botticelli and Roland Johnson played well in the front seven, the whole group up front made a lot of mistakes.
Wilson vacated a lot of plays and tried to side stip blocks just like last years group did.
They took themselves out of the plays just like the linebackers did on Saturday, Hill should have never chased the guy on that big run by the QB after he broke containment on Saturday, he was so late to react on that play.
If they play under control and do not lose themselves the defense can be good, they just need to do there own jobs.

NO! Every man coverage there is you play your man and are taught to catch up and be in good position before looking for a thrown ball or in the backfield!!! Secondary contain comes from the backer whose man is not running a route or a spy (if applicable).

edma0012: "...am I the only one that is really tired of his routine. ..."

Am I the only one that is really tired of your routine?

If he Hill comes for secondary contain......guess who Ruddock throws the ball to. Then, it's even a bigger play because the next defender up is a DB further down field.

Give it up edma..... IF prexy K EVER wants anything from the state legislators he will HAVE to put a stop to the "extend...buy out...fire cycle..." of mismanagement that prexy b and mature got us into and our new Norwood continued with his Tubby deal. Prexy K virtually extended Coach Kill into a 7 year contract deal and this is ONLY the 3rd year of that deal. There will NOT be any buyouts. And there should NOT be any buyouts. Coach Kill NEEDS to stay here for as long as he wants to stay here BECAUSE if he were to be gone at the end of next year or the year after or the year after that...this program would go straight back the the brewball crapper state of being.

Coach Kill is our coach. Period. I'll contrast anyone who thinks he should not be here because any person who thinks that is my enemy. You see, bringing in a new coach right now would insure that the next TEN YEARS AFTER the change would be struggling, problematic, LOST years. And, I'm 66 years of age and have been a Golden Gopher Fan for goin on sixty years. I don't know if I've got ten years left. I hope I have MORE than that...but...there are NO guarantees of ANYTHING in life.

So, Coach Kill: "never let the ba$hers get you down and BEAT MICHIGAN!

edma0012: "...am I the only one that is really tired of his routine. ..."

Am I the only one that is really tired of your routine?

No you are not. Man, talk about a routine edma0012's pathetic outburst takes the cake. Turning a program like Minnesota's takes time and that requires patience, not angry outbursts.

I know I'm not a big Kill guy, but am I the only one that is really tired of his routine. Am I the only one that is starting to think the southern drawl aw-shucks routine is just that, a routine. He sounds so-unlike any of us, but says things we would say, so are we cutting him slack he shouldn't be cut? Is he taking advantage? Just break down some of the things he said/talked about in detail-

• Looking forward to getting back on the practice field today and getting our kids on track and get better. You have to have short term memory, we've taken care of everything we needed to on Sunday. He wants us to forget that a week ago this time, we were all really excited for the Iowa game. I think he is trying to ignore the massive let down that game was for the fan base. It was arguably the biggest build up to a game of the Kill era and we laid a massive egg. Of course he would want us to forget
• You have to go through all 4 games, the game of football is different every week. You're working with kids, we all, I know Coach Hoke very well and he knows me very well. Football is about execution, when you execute well, good things happen. They've had a week off, and I'm sure they’ve worked on execution. Michigan is a very good football team, them and OSU have as good of athletes as anyone in the country. This is a bunch of say-nothing cliched gobbldy-guck. Kill talks for a minute and says nothing
• I don't think on Sunday we just talked offense, we talked the whole game. We watched the whole game, it's never as bad as you think it is, and it's never as good as you want it to be. We got beat fundamentally, the placement of feet, hands, tackling, etc...it has nothing to do with schemes, it was fundamentals. Ok coach, if only our players had put their hands in a different place, we'd have one the game. It wasn't play calling or defensive sets at all, because that would be coaching. This answer sounds like he is blaming the players.
• We can't control what happened against Iowa, we need to move forward. You can control what happened to Iowa before the game. Unless he's got a time machine, nobody can control the past, great insight coach, thanks.
• As you build a program, you need to have one of those defining moments, if we were able to win the jug, that would be a defining moment. That's where our program is. As a program, we want to keep moving forward, we took a step back on Saturday, but now we need to take 2 steps forward. Build a program- or take it to the next level. Brewster had us where Mason was at, and then fell back in his 4th year. Mason had us tied for 4th in the Big Ten in his third year. I am sick of this snail slow program building philosophy crap.
• Is he frustrated with having to focus on fundamentals 4 weeks in? No, I spent my life on fundamentals. We're coaching young players right now, young players have to continue to work on that. I need to do a better job frankly, I need to do a better job. We need to get the kids coached job. This is him trying to sound like he is taking some of the blame for poor coaching, but in a clever way makes excuses (kids are young) and puts some blame on players. What about last weeks coaching wasn't good enough? Your coaching, or the players taking of your coaching? Either way, a total b.s. cliche' non-answer. And what does he mean by young? Its not like we were starting a bunch of second year players. From what I could tell, they were starting 19 players in their 3rd year or later. ALL COLLEGE KIDS ARE YOUNG. I think that's what he means though, it has to be right?
• Everywhere I've been, we've pulled out a game that were weren't suppose to pull out. What we're disappointed about, is our kids had a great Friday night, a great pre-game, they were ready to play. I think they were so excited about playing in front of a big crowd, that we played out of control. We played so darn hard that it was out of control. We're not taking anything away from Iowa, but we're better than we played. If they were out of control thats 100% on the coaching staff. What are they there for? Keeping control, why does he blame the kids for being excited and not saying he didn't do a good enough job getting them ready and keeping them calm??
• It was an ugly game for us, certainly from an offensive standpoint. But as ugly as it was, Marcus Jones got us some momentum. If and butts were candy and nuts, we'd all have a Merry Christmas. Aw shucks Jer- that's a good one. PUKE.
• You concentrate on what you know happened, you take that and you go fix it. Our kids have enough pride in what they're doing and they want to do well. There's no guarantees. When you lose a game, if we fundamentally used our hands and executed and did all those things and you get beat - I can walk in here and say we did everything we could. When you don't that bothers you as a coach. really, its all about the hands?
• It takes a while at the QB position, nobody likes to be patient. Phillip and Mitch are going to learn a lot. so nothing about how he went with the injured guy over the hot hand? No reason why he didn't realize his error and correct it in game? What about Nelson was so obviously a better call to start? I actually think Nelson is the Better QB, but how do you not roll with Mitch after what he did vs SJSU?
• We missed Mike Henry a lot, a lot. He's going to be riding a bike today. Until someone's gone, you never know ho much you miss them. It hurt us, it hurt our execution.So he is not blaming Henry for our inability to execute? As if the player next you controls where you put your hands....

In reading the recap, its just obvious to me that Kill isn't going to get us to the next level. His top level is Mason, at best, and he wants another 3-4 years to get there (when it took Mason himself only 3).

You really lead a pretty sad life over analyzing every word a coach says in a press conference. You need to realize the press conference is only so long so he is generalizing things greatly. He'd be there for hours if he really told you everything. Quit nit picking every word.

I sincerely hope that somebody on this board has taken it upon themselves to forward this to your therapist. There's a couple sessions worth of material in here alone.

I'm not sure how a competent human being could misconstrue something so badly.

edma0012
Tell us how you really feel?

Everything you wrote reeks of someone hell bent on reliving last saturday's game and waiting for Kill to get on two knees and forgive him for losing to Iowa.
What a bunch of garbage.

You know why he's moving on and trying to ignore the bad performance? Because he's got Michigan on Sat.

Iowa beat us with their time tested formula of excellent technique and solid fundamentals, combined with a veteran front 7 and a senior Oline/runningback.
That's stuff that takes time to build within a program that lacked serious technique discipline(hands!) before this coaching staff got here. Iowa's had it since Ferentz got there and it's boring and inconsequential to most fans, but it wins games.

Losing Sat was a huge letdown, huge. It also doesn't define the season as long as the coaches move on and teach from the mistakes made by YES young players.

I hate the fact that everytime there's a letdown the dum dums and closet critics show up in force telling everyone who's been positive or even generally positive but realistic that the sky is fallen and suffocating the earth.
We lost, it sucks. We move on, hopefully the players and coaches learn and grow.
Onto the rest of the B1G and let's hope we spring an upset along the way.

This is a 200% honest, genuine and sincere question. I'm awed at how much you can see/take away from watching a game. I'm barely able to watch who has the ball. How are you able to see all this? How are you able to watch/assess all these different players at one time? When I read your comments I think: "man, this guy must really know football". I'm impressed. Tell the rest of us how to do this. (Btw, I realize most guys on here don't have the courage to give you so much praise, but trust me, I'm not yanking your chain. I'm being sincere.)

Its pretty obvious Kill will be here (sans health related resignation) for at least a few more years, based solely on his big ass K not his production.
I am lamenting this fact, but am realistic as to the fact we are stuck with this bum. I would love to be wrong about him but I just don't think I will be. The hyperbole over what would happen if he left is hilarious though. We are as bad as we've been since before Mason, so what, 20 years? At this point Brewster's 3 B1G wins a year don't appear so horrible. Imagine that, Kill, the great "coach" hasn't been able to produce results that separate him from Brew.

It's really funny. I'm sort of a cynic myself at times, and I thought Coach Kill gave wonderful, honest answers. It's all fundamentals and technique in his mind. And he and his staff admit they need to teach/coach better. I believe him 100%. However, I do believe the play calling is odd given that he admits that the O/L is young, smaller than he would like and not strong enough. But, he wants to refine the running game at any cost. I give him credit for sticking to what he believes. He obviously thinks it will pay dividends in the long run. Need to trust him. Nothing else we can do.

Its pretty obvious Kill will be here (sans health related resignation) for at least a few more years, based solely on his big ass K not his production.
I am lamenting this fact, but am realistic as to the fact we are stuck with this bum. I would love to be wrong about him but I just don't think I will be. The hyperbole over what would happen if he left is hilarious though. We are as bad as we've been since before Mason, so what, 20 years? At this point Brewster's 3 B1G wins a year don't appear so horrible. Imagine that, Kill, the great "coach" hasn't been able to produce results that separate him from Brew.

Clint is that you? Jeez you need to let go of Brew. He wasn't a good coach and didn't get us to where we needed to be so he was let go. Seriously though if you are going to piss and moan for an entire week after each loss then I don't think I and probably a few other people will be able to stomach it.

Until, you know, year four when the wheels completely fell off.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Bottom