Jerry Kill's Comments on the Sports Huddle

DL65

Reaction score
Weight training: Was disappointed the first day; however, they got better each day. (They didn't know what they need to do.) "Our strength coach has his work cut out for him." We need to get stronger, quicker and faster.

Kill's perception of the team: We'll know more after the off season. Fair evaluation is only after 4-5 months and after they've been in pads.

Team goals: 1) work hard; 2) no academic losses; and 3) learn the "Minnesota Way" - learning and meeting the expectations of the coaches.

Success - what it takes to win: relationships, trust, and working together toward a common cause.

Recruiting: We have to do a great job recruting, not a good job but a great job. Teams with the better players usuaally win.

We'll have to play some freshmen next fall . . . doesn't know at this time who'll play but receivers are a priority.

Some players are in his words are in professional lockdown to get their academics in order.

I'm sure others will contribute what I missed.

Go Gophers!!

country club

Sounded like Brewster must have been running a country club.

I listened to Coach Kill's interview on Sports Huddle. He tells it like it is. We have a long way to go and HE knows it. He also said..."If we as a staff have to work 16-18 hours a day, we will do just that."

When Brewster was hired, I hated it. Then I started to buy into the B.S. Kill's the exact same way, except this time, I don't think it's bull. He might not turn this around, but I get the feeling he's gonna do it, or die trying.

Kill also had the line of the day when Sid asked him about Crawford-Tufts, Coach said, "That kid's faster than the car I drive".

I don't think it was a country club, but more of a cluster #$%@. The guy just didn't have the experience or organizational knowledge to run a football program.

When Brewster was hired, I hated it. Then I started to buy into the B.S. Kill's the exact same way, except this time, I don't think it's bull. He might not turn this around, but I get the feeling he's gonna do it, or die trying.

Kill also had the line of the day when Sid asked him about Crawford-Tufts, Coach said, "That kid's faster than the car I drive".

Every coach rebuilding a program has to hand out a certain amount of BS in order to get people behind the program. Lou Holtz was full of BS, but he could back it up on game day. We're overly sensitive now after 4 years of the mega-hype machine known as Tim Brewster. Once bitten, twice shy. He's just trying to communicate to fans that things are different now.

Every coach rebuilding a program has to hand out a certain amount of BS in order to get people behind the program. Lou Holtz was full of BS, but he could back it up on game day. We're overly sensitive now after 4 years of the mega-hype machine known as Tim Brewster. Once bitten, twice shy. He's just trying to communicate to fans that things are different now.
Right. Things are different. This guy's a football coach through and through. Just hope the players are going to realize that.

It would fbe fun to have a one on one talk with Coach Hammond to get his perspective on Coach Kill verus the other guy.

I still expect there will be some current players who either can't or won't cut it.

Jerry Kill - CEO Extraordinaire

Kill is running the program like a Fortune 500 CEO. That is because he has the attributes and knowledge that is required to be a CEO. This includes, but is not limited to the following:

He understands the college football "market" very well.

He has a clear vision and goals.

He has a strategy and operation plan to obtain his vision and goals.

He has clear measurements/benchmarks for his vision, goals, and strategies.

He has a clear communication plan for all his stakeholders.

He is focusing his resources on implementing and achieving his plan.

He is a great leader who doesn't let his ego get in the way. He therefore is better able top maximizes resources (staff, players, stakeholders, etc.). This is also one of the reasons why his staff is so loyal to him.

He has great integrity

He not afraid to take appropiate action when the situation requires it.

Fortune 500 CEOs could learn some things from Jerry Kill. He should be on the cover of Forbes instead of some of the ego driven CEOs they often have on the cover.

It almost sounds like Killjoy thinks Coach Kill "gets it." His job as a head football coach, that is. By the way, that's much better than not getting it--as Gopher fans have seen in recent years.

My favorite thing he said is that he has a group of players on lock down to work on academics. I love that he genuinly cares about academics and demands success off the field before you get on the field. This will play great with Moms and Dads that want their kids to get a degree...the U of M has a great academic reputation in many professional fields and along with the metro area...we should be able to overcome some other short comings like recent history and weather (real or percieved).

I loved my education at the U and still marvel when I talk t friends that went to Florida, Alabama and Georgia schools...the difference in degree value is huge. Big Ten schools are well thought of both for academics but also for that midwestern work ethic. You would be surprised how many times the fact that I was a Big Ten midwestern alum has helped me forward my career.

Kill is running the program like a Fortune 500 CEO. That is because he has the attributes and knowledge that is required to be a CEO. This includes, but is not limited to the following:

He is a great leader who doesn't let his ego get in the way. He therefore is better able top maximizes resources (staff, players, stakeholders, etc.). This is also one of the reasons why his staff is so loyal to him.He has great integrity

Fortune 500 CEOs could learn some things from Jerry Kill. He should be on the cover of Forbes instead of some of the ego driven CEOs they often have on the cover.

Wow, this is quite a list. I hope that he can pull it off. I think the the point that is in bold is especially important (yes, all of them are important). I was impressed when I heard that he his assistants opinions on who recieved scholarship offers were heeded. I've had bosses who surround themselves with "yes" people, and it doesn't work.

Almost Sounds Like Killjoy Thinks?

It almost sounds like Killjoy thinks Coach Kill "gets it." His job as a head football coach, that is. By the way, that's much better than not getting it--as Gopher fans have seen in recent years.

"[A]lmost sounds like Killjoy thinks ..." Ah LIG, that is Killjoy's clear thesis, not "almost sounds like Killjoy thinks". Killjoy has very eloquently described how Coach Kill fits the characteristics of a Fortune 500 CEO in the first two months of his appointment as CEO of Golden Gopher Football, Inc. I wish I could have described Coach K's talents as eloquently as Mr. Killjoy. I am guessing that Mr. Killjoy must be a business man who knows what a CEO needs to do and to be to get the job done.

Hats off to thee, Killjoy!

Sounds like Brewster's S&C staff has not impressed our new staff!

He is a great leader who doesn't let his ego get in the way. He therefore is better able top maximizes resources (staff, players, stakeholders, etc.). This is also one of the reasons why his staff is so loyal to him.

He has great integrity

He also has kept a majority of his management team together for a long time.

I listened to Coach Kill's interview on Sports Huddle. He tells it like it is. We have a long way to go and HE knows it. He also said..."If we as a staff have to work 16-18 hours a day, we will do just that."

I love Coach Kill but he is currently slinging a line of BS that matches anything Brewster said when he was here. The Gophers have better players who are in better condition then Kill will ever admit publicly. Kill is doing it for two reasons: (1) he is trying to lower the fan's expectations for the coming season; and (2) more importantly, he is sending a loud and clear message to the players that every position is up for grabs and they all need to get bigger, stronger, and faster if the want to earn a starting position when the season starts.

Pope: "I love Coach Kill but he is currently slinging a line of BS that matches anything Brewster said when he was here..."

That statement in and of itself is TOTAL BS!

Go Gophers!!!

I think Brew misunderstood what a program is supposed to be. I would be willing to bet that a lot of what we saw from Brewster was learned from Mack Brown. The difference is that Brown probably had a structure underneath the hype that was pretty solid. Brew just had the trappings without any foundation. Kill seems to be all about building a program from the ground up. I could just be buying into the hype, but I believe there's some real substance here and it gets me excited about the long term future of Gopher Football.

I heard the old strength and conditioning staff acted more like friends with the players and the weight room was a pretty loose operation. players did get stronger but some just focused on getting bigger arms for" beach bodies" in the summer and not really on what excercises and weights they needed too improve at there position. different positions on the field require different specialized muscle training and we didn't seem to be very organized. Sounds like the new guys are much more business like and organized

Because talking up your team unrealistically and downplaying expectations are exactly the same thing...

After ten years of Mason a lot of GopherHole posters loved it when Brewster was hired and he started raising expectations for the Gophers. In retrospect it wasn't very smart of him because he opened the door for his critics to lie about what he was saying. Now many of the very same posters that had jumped on Brewster's bandwagon are denying it just like Judas.

Like I said in my previous post, I love what I am reading and hearing about Jerry Kill. I think he and his staff are going to succeed in a big way with the Gophers. But I also think the players are better than what Kill is currently saying about them. If the the Gophers don't win five games this year it will be a disappointment, and six wins should be a reachable goal. Big 10 teams regularly win games with inexperienced QB's. There is no reason the Gophers can't do it this year.

Like I said in my previous post, I love what I am reading and hearing about Jerry Kill. I think he and his staff are going to succeed in a big way with the Gophers. But I also think the players are better than what Kill is currently saying about them.

And I agree with you. But what Kill is doing and what Brew did aren't the same things.

After ten years of Mason a lot of GopherHole posters loved it when Brewster was hired and he started raising expectations for the Gophers. In retrospect it wasn't very smart of him because he opened the door for his critics to lie about what he was saying. Now many of the very same posters that had jumped on Brewster's bandwagon are denying it just like Judas.

We aren't talking about goals, we are talking about expectations for this year. Brewster inherited a 6 win team, Kill is inheriting a 3 win team. People expected there to be some time needed for transition, although no one expected the 1-win season in 2007. Brewster set the Rose Bowl as the goal, but there are people who falsely claimed that he said that the Gophers would win the Big Ten in 2007. You said yourself that people lied about what Brewster said, but your point seems to rely on those misstatements being true rather than what actually was said. But if Brewster did err in setting expectations, then surely the remedy is to have more modest expectations.

I'm not sure just what it is that people are supposed to be "denying". In any case, Judas wasn't the denier, it was Peter.

All you had to do...

is look at the shape Jew Jew Edwards was in. By the third quarter he was usually sucking wind.
Our d-backs were woefully weak on the strength issue. The conditioning program Mark Hill implemented either didn't work,or the kids didn't buy into it enough to work out on their own. Brewster? I was duped like everyone else. He was the "Denny Hecker" of Gopher football. He will go down as doing more harm to Gopher Football than any coach in history of this program.

is look at the shape Jew Jew Edwards was in. By the third quarter he was usually sucking wind.
Our d-backs were woefully weak on the strength issue. The conditioning program Mark Hill implemented either didn't work,or the kids didn't buy into it enough to work out on their own. Brewster? I was duped like everyone else. He was the "Denny Hecker" of Gopher football. He will go down as doing more harm to Gopher Football than any coach in history of this program.

First, I do agree with you that there were definite strength and conditioning issues with this football team. It was apparent all over the field that we were almost never the stronger and better conditioned team.

However, I do think another factor that played into that was our youth. We had almost just a couple 5 yr Srs, a small class of 4 yr JRs and Srs. A much too high percentage of our players were without a season to RS, well that kind of stuff catches up to you. Time in a college weight room for these kids is invaluable and it was hard for us to keep up with these guys (other teams) who had been in college conditioning programs much longer than the majority of our players.

I heard the old strength and conditioning staff acted more like friends with the players and the weight room was a pretty loose operation. players did get stronger but some just focused on getting bigger arms for" beach bodies" in the summer and not really on what excercises and weights they needed too improve at there position. different positions on the field require different specialized muscle training and we didn't seem to be very organized. Sounds like the new guys are much more business like and organized

This is the exact feeling I got when I really reflected on things before. I got the feeling that guys got stronger and bigger, no question, but was it functional? Hearing this makes a ton of sense in hindsight. Hopefully the operation going forward is indeed more organized and able to give the kids the proper functional strength to succeed on the field.

Top Bottom