Jerry has to move to the press box.

Governor Sibley

Section 109 Row 21
Reaction score
If this is going to happen again, it needs to be out of sight.

He has to move upstairs.

But is it workable?

This is the third time in, what, 24 games? 1 out of every 8 games?

We both know Jerry is NOT going to the booth. My guess is either deal with it, or find a new coach. In my opinion I think Kill and Norwood talk about this and have a plan in place.

Jerry should move to a booth if Jerry wants to move to a booth. He has epilepsy. He has to deal with it. If you want to watch the Gophers, you should deal with it, too.

Not sure what moving to a booth will do.

Seriously. It's not like it's an issue of overheating. It's 65F out today. Do we think that Kill will be somehow less stressed if he's in a booth vs if he's on the field?

Or is this just about fans not seeing him have these issues? Because that's just ridiculous. Do these people think you can hide this kind of thing? I am a huge supporter of Kill. And as long as he thinks he can keep going, I am in favor of that.

The only opinion that really matters to me is the players and other coaches.

I doubt the issue was heat or dehydration. I bet the issue was agitation over the effort and play of his team in the 1st half. Luckily he got to miss the 3rd quarter as that would have only made it worse. Not sure what the answer is, but I worry the guy is going to go down and not get back up one of these times. Hopefully that never happens and he gets well soon.

I don't think being in the booth makes the problem go away.

But it does mean nobody, especially the players, gets to see it.

He has to move upstairs.

But is it workable?

Because it's okay if he has seizures as long as we don't have to see it?

If he and his doctors still agree that it's okay for him to continue coaching, then let him coach how he sees fit. If there comes a time where he has to step down or move to the box because of his health, that's his decision. I think it would be an awful move, and I suspect he does too.

Most people on here are not willing to admit it but, if this keeps up this is going to cause problems. Guessing it had nothing to do with hydration this time. If it had to do with stress, then thats an even bigger problem. If he gets this program turned around and they start playing some big time games you cannot be losing your coach halfway through the game. Its unfortunate, im not blaming Kill but it has to come to a point when you look in the mirror and ask yourself if this is really going to work.

I don't think being in the booth makes the problem go away.

But it does mean nobody, especially the players, gets to see it.

His players know he has a history of seizures, and many have seen it before during a game. Maybe it even happens in practice. I do not think it would negatively impact the players. If it does, then we have a discussion point. I think it could even be motivational to players. Go win one for the coach, who literally left it all on the field/locker room.

Most people on here are not willing to admit it but, if this keeps up this is going to cause problems. Guessing it had nothing to do with hydration this time. If it had to do with stress, then thats an even bigger problem. If he gets this program turned around and they start playing some big time games you cannot be losing your coach halfway through the game. Its unfortunate, im not blaming Kill but it has to come to a point when you look in the mirror and ask yourself if this is really going to work.

You can lose a coach halfway through a game. Today is proof. It just means you have to be prepared and have a plan in place for how all the responsibilities will shift. It requires a great degree of confidence in your staff - which Jerry does.

Most coaches, especially head coaches, will tell you they do their most important work in preparation and practice prior to the game. If his condition makes him miss a bunch of work during the week, then that's a much bigger concern for me.

His players know he has a history of seizures, and many have seen it before during a game. Maybe it even happens in practice. I do not think it would negatively impact the players. If it does, then we have a discussion point. I think it could even be motivational to players. Go win one for the coach, who literally left it all on the field/locker room.

Disagree. No matter how prepared you think you are, it's disturbing when you actually see it.

Perhaps I take this issue personally - I've worked with a number of epileptics and have seen countless seizures. Yes, it is tough to see when it is not a common occurrence. I wouldn't be surprised if this doesn't happen more than we know, and that all players actually have seen it. Jerry is fine, and the players need to play regardless. Just like when Nelson gets hurt and is out for the game - the game continues.

And I don't think anyone is doing it maliciously or consciously - but, it seems like people are having a slant against Jerry just because they don't want to see it. He has a medical condition. In most cases it isn't life-threatening. He has to deal with it. And if he is an effective coach, and is our coach, then so do we.

I can't believe how blasé some people are about this.

Our coach needs to be available for three hours on 12 Saturdays a year.

If he checks out every 8th game, this is a problem.

That's not the argument you were making though.

If he is the head coach, he needs to be on the sidelines.

That's not the argument you were making though.

If he is the head coach, he needs to be on the sidelines.

Yes, but he's under contract for now. So maybe consider putting him in the booth.

There are two separate problems: 1) He can't coach; 2) He goes on the fritz in public.

My proposal solves one.

He has to move upstairs.

But is it workable?

Ignorant, just plain ignorant.

Yes, but he's under contract for now. So maybe consider putting him in the booth.

There are two separate problems: 1) He can't coach; 2) He goes on the fritz in public.

My proposal solves one.

Ignorant, just plain ignorant.

I like Coach Kill. But this is a problem for him mostly and the program. You should not lose a coach half way thru a game. And what about the recruits at the game. Im sure he was suppose to meet with them after the game and tomorrow morning. It effects all aspects of the program. I feel bad for coach Kill. He works very hard and hes done a good job.

he is the coach of our football team... as fans of this football team we know what may or may not happen... the team is prepared if this sort of thing happens and as fans we should be as well... and by knowing this can/does/will happen it shouldn't been seen as a negative... moving him out of the public eye and shoving him into the press box solves NOTHING...

supporting coach is the only way through this.. you don't like it... don't watch... let kfan be your eyes

Yes, because the head coach's job is just to be there 12 days a year. That's a rather nice contract he has: $1.2 million for 36 hours a year, $33,000 an hour.

Seriously, this is just stupid. Most of his job is preparation for game day. If you have a problem with his effectiveness as a coach, then you should be asking to fire him. Otherwise, what do you care if he misses half a game each year. If we win, I sure don't care.

I like Coach Kill. But this is a problem for him mostly and the program. You should not lose a coach half way thru a game. And what about the recruits at the game. Im sure he was suppose to meet with them after the game and tomorrow morning. It effects all aspects of the program. I feel bad for coach Kill. He works very hard and hes done a good job.

So then what's the problem? If he does a good job despite his seizures, we should fire him because of his seizures?

As a Gopher fan, Jerry Kill is our coach. It is up to him as to how best he does his work. He has epilepsy. I have family
with epilepsy. Everyone has something to live with and overcome.

For some people, its narrow-mindedness

So his presence on the sideline or even in the stadium is unimportant? This is a major problem moving forward. It is really a gd shame but I don't see this working for long.

So then what's the problem? If he does a good job despite his seizures, we should fire him because of his seizures?

Never said he should be fired. Would like him to stay, however just pointing out it may effect more then just the time missed during a couple games.

So his presence on the sideline or even in the stadium is unimportant? This is a major problem moving forward. It is really a gd shame but I don't see this working for long.

If he weren't going to any games, it would be a problem. If it's a once a year thing, it really isn't a problem. Like I said, most of his job is preparation for the game. It all comes down to if you think he's doing a good job or not. If you think he is, then there's no reason why this is a problem.

Top Bottom