Jerry has to move to the press box.

My take is if Coach Kill feels that his health is a detriment and hurts the program, he will step down. If his status has not changed and he gets the green light from the MD's, then I think he will and should continue.

People die everyday on the job. He and his boss understand that. People also get sick while at work, some more than others. This is no different especially if the person is able to return and function at an acceptable level.

The UM hired him fully aware of his medical condition. I find it difficult to belief that they won't stand behind him 100%.

Coaching from the upper level is not the answer.

Listening to kfan and it's obvious some gopher fans are going way over the top with emails about opinions. I agreed with everything Ben leiber and Corey said. I'm sick of the media negativity but I'm also sick of gopher fans that think everyone is out to get them as well. Whether people agree or disagree about what Kill should do, this is a real issue for our football program publicly. I personally am not worried about seizures but I am concerned about coach. We all should be. Hopefully he bounces back strong and the team rallies around him and we blow the doors off of San Jose st. Go gophers

Cory Cove had nothing worthwhile today at 7:50 and avanced the same flawed and tired falsehoods:

-it is too hard on the fans to have to witness a seizure - pure BS
-recuiting will fall apart- has not seemed to go down after #1,2,and #3, why is Seizure 4 any diff?
-it is too hard to function during the game after this happens- proven to be untrue
-Kill is the face of the organization and this is just not OK for somone in the position - Marginalize "poor poor Jerry" who he is just trying to "help"
-It is a fact that the stress of coaching is why he has seizures, to therefore he should stop coaching= problem solved - more hogwash promoted as fact

Then Cove got on the real big lie, that he (and Souhan) are not pushing the agenda that Jerry Kill needs stop being the coach, just that "something" needs to change. JK has Epilepsy and he will have seizures and that is a fact. What exactly is going to change in any meaningful way? Will he have fewer at some point, possibly, but count the situation to continue, and continue to be well managed.

His Mayo level doctors are on board with him, the Football staff has a solid plan. End of Story

Cove and Souhan among others are being very dishonest.

Theoretically. That's the key word. If coaching does make it worse, and if his doctor says he should give it up, then it's worth discussing.

Do you honestly believe coaching does not negatively affect his health? Jerry has said he's not changing. He's tired of being told (he needs to change) by his wife. Tired of being told by the damn doctors. He said as much two years ago. There is no discussing for Kill.

Theoretically. That's the key word. If coaching does make it worse, and if his doctor says he should give it up, then it's worth discussing.

Agree completely. And it is a big if. I don't know that I've seen a conclusive statement from his doctor either way honestly.

I think that if really determined how serious of an issue we really have here.

-it is too hard on the fans to have to witness a seizure

These are the same guys that don't want to be around people in wheel chairs, kids with Down Syndrome, and retirement homes. It makes them uncomfortable and pushes them to the edge of their bigotry.

Like me around media and politicians.

These are the same guys that don't want to be around people in wheel chairs, kids with Down Syndrome, and retirement homes. It makes them uncomfortable and pushes them to the edge of their bigotry.

Like me around media and politicians.

I'm having a hard time not raging at people on these boards not seeing that their fear of seeing a seizure is not an acceptable reason to make someone leave.

Better tell the blind guy down the hall that he should stay home because I feel so sad for him when I half to watch him tap his cane all the way down the hall by himself. It makes me uncomfotable to see him struggle that way.

I support having Jerry Kill as the head coach, and if someone is uncomfortable with him having a seizure that is their problem. It's out there, so don't go to the games if it bothers you too much. At football games, you are bound to see other gruesome hits and injuries as well. How it can bother someone that the coach has a seizure, but they keep coming back despite players getting carted off with concussions or torn knee ligaments?

Having said that, are the seizures preventing Coach Kill from performing his job duties as head coach? The coaching staff is used to it, they adjust very well and have clear plans in place for when it happens, and the show continues with or without him. However, a big part of coaching is being present and coaching teams during a football game. Kill has failed to finish coaching a game multiple times in the last 3 years, and it's almost certain that it will happen again in the future.

Do you honestly believe coaching does not negatively affect his health? Jerry has said he's not changing. He's tired of being told (he needs to change) by his wife. Tired of being told by the damn doctors. He said as much two years ago. There is no discussing for Kill.

I think working under stressful situations affects everyone's health. Does his job cause more frequent seizures though? I have no idea. I'm not a doctor.

I think working under stressful situations affects everyone's health. Does his job cause more frequent seizures though? I have no idea. I'm not a doctor.

The answer is right in the post you were responding to. Stress increases the likelihood and his doctors have told him so.

Thank god we finally know what a Marquette basketball fan thinks about this issue!

Most people on here are not willing to admit it but, if this keeps up this is going to cause problems. Guessing it had nothing to do with hydration this time. If it had to do with stress, then thats an even bigger problem. If he gets this program turned around and they start playing some big time games you cannot be losing your coach halfway through the game. Its unfortunate, im not blaming Kill but it has to come to a point when you look in the mirror and ask yourself if this is really going to work.

Call me when you stop guessing and actually have some facts

I didn't know where to put my thoughts on Kill's seizure today and how it relates to both his and the football programs future. I read the Doyel piece, the Souhan piece, and many GopherHoler's thoughts both about those particular pieces and their own personal thoughts. I am pretty shocked by the number of people who seem to think that Coach Kill's seizure's are not a big deal and that the program can (or in many cases should) just continue with business as usual. I don't know if my opinion on the matter is skewed by my skepticism of Kill's potential to win at the BCS level or if other's opinions are skewed by their belief in Kill as a football coach. I would think most of us would try to keep our own thoughts about Kill as a coach separate from this matter, but I am not sure it's entirely possible to do so. I think the only common ground a lot of us have on this issue is hoping for the healthiest possible life for Coach Kill and that advancements can be made in the fight to combat epilepsy.

I personally think that it's a major worry for Coach Kill and the University that these seizures are happening on game days in what are likely stressful situations for Coach Kill. The two most talked about seizures came during awful performances by the Gopher football team (though the Gophers were ok in the 2nd half today) that would anger/upset/stress any football coach. My question is: What happens when their is real pressure to win? Barring a surprising season this year, it's likely that there will be some pressure on Coach Kill in year four. I am not sure Coach Kill can handle that type of pressure. I am not saying he can't, but I think with his track record at Minnesota to this point it is certainly a valid concern. I also think that it's undeniable fact that Coach Kill's epilepsy has some negative effect on the program. The degree of that negative effect can be debated, but a head coach who is missing games and practices and is unable to drive on recruiting visits certainly puts the program at some disadvantage (that may be slight or significant).

I think it's fair for others outside of Coach Kill to have a hand in deciding whether coaching major college football is in his best interests. The University of Minnesota would get savaged in the press IF Kill had another public seizure with more lasting effects. I think that Eric Kaler and Norwood Teague have a stake in this and need to realize the ramifications of any decision on Coach Kill's future.

Ramifications go two ways. If coach Kill decides to leave because of institutional and public harrassment and gets hired at a BCS school and wins big, then every recruiting story is going to make Minnesota look small minded. It also looks like we knew of this condition prior to his hire. There was an accommodation made. The question is only whether there should be periodic review of that accommodation. Of course that may be done. And, those conversations remain a matter of privacy between Jerry and the school. I support the school and Jerry. I will not choose one over the other as a matter of justice.

I support having Jerry Kill as the head coach, and if someone is uncomfortable with him having a seizure that is their problem. It's out there, so don't go to the games if it bothers you too much. At football games, you are bound to see other gruesome hits and injuries as well. How it can bother someone that the coach has a seizure, but they keep coming back despite players getting carted off with concussions or torn knee ligaments?

Having said that, are the seizures preventing Coach Kill from performing his job duties as head coach? The coaching staff is used to it, they adjust very well and have clear plans in place for when it happens, and the show continues with or without him. However, a big part of coaching is being present and coaching teams during a football game. Kill has failed to finish coaching a game multiple times in the last 3 years, and it's almost certain that it will happen again in the future.

Yup. And they (coaches, assistants, and the athletic dept.) have a contingency plan put in place in case it does happen again.

Problem solved.

Willing to bet there are a fair number of people on here that know more about it than they're saying(for good reason).

I'm having a hard time not raging at people on these boards not seeing that their fear of seeing a seizure is not an acceptable reason to make someone leave.

Better tell the blind guy down the hall that he should stay home because I feel so sad for him when I half to watch him tap his cane all the way down the hall by himself. It makes me uncomfotable to see him struggle that way.

Rage away. Having a ten minute seizure during the course of a game is disruptive obviously and disturbing. It's disturbing to me, it's disturbing to you, it's disturbing to everyone there. Whether the leader of our football team who goes down like that on a regular basis is an issue is not up for debate; it's an issue. If it makes you guys feel better to pretend otherwise knock yourselves out and rage away. The program exists to serve the fans and are well served now? I don't know but there are valid reasons to question whether we are.

Ramifications go two ways. If coach Kill decides to leave because of institutional and public harrassment and gets hired at a BCS school and wins big, then every recruiting story is going to make Minnesota look small minded. It also looks like we knew of this condition prior to his hire. There was an accommodation made. The question is only whether there should be periodic review of that accommodation. Of course that may be done. And, those conversations remain a matter of privacy between Jerry and the school. I support the school and Jerry. I will not choose one over the other as a matter of justice.

This is just silly. He wouldn't get hired as a head coach at another BCS school. I honestly don't think he would have gotten hired here but for Maturi being a dork. His condition certainly seems to he getting worse now, too.

This is just silly. He wouldn't get hired as a head coach at another BCS school. I honestly don't think he would have gotten hired here but for Maturi being a dork. His condition certainly seems to he getting worse now, too.

You are speculating at every single point in this post. Thanks for nothing.

Rage away. Having a ten minute seizure during the course of a game is disruptive obviously and disturbing. It's disturbing to me, it's disturbing to you, it's disturbing to everyone there. Whether the leader of our football team who goes down like that on a regular basis is an issue is not up for debate; it's an issue. If it makes you guys feel better to pretend otherwise knock yourselves out and rage away. The program exists to serve the fans and are well served now? I don't know but there are valid reasons to question whether we are.

I'm tired of the media and others speaking for me and 'everyone'. You may have valid points, are entitled to your opinion and think my head is in the sand or lack compassion, but after discerning Coach didn't hit his head (all of 10 seconds), I moved forward - I was disturbed like I was for Nelson's hammy because I trust that Kill, his family, coaches, players and the U's admin are keeping on top of things as best as possible. I also spoke to some people at the game who found out on their drive home. An unfortunate event, but the game went on...Saturday's will too.

If things should escalate over time, and I hope they don't, I may change my mind, but that's for me to decide, not the paper or a message board. Ski-u-mah.

Please tell me this is not your argument. It was a typo, you have to correct your error, something.

It is disturbing that people like you would prefer someone with a disability/medical condition, that will cause you no harm, to not follow their dreams because it may cause you or others discomfort.

There are so many disturbing beliefs being posted - beliefs that just should not be tolerated in this day and age.

Our discomfort with anything should have nothing to do with Jerry Kill coaching. Our concern for his health really had no bearing on the decision - that's up to Jerry, his wife, his doctors, and Norwood.

Brett Boyum's piece linked in another thread speaks to the issue well - people work in public, stressful jobs every day. Do we expect everyone with Epilepsy to lock their door and collect disability? Should young people avoid AP classes because other courses would be less stressful? Should a CEO resign because she/he may seizure during one of the quarterly Board meetings? I mean, really, it really all boils down to these four key meetings.

99.99 percent of all jobs Jerry can do. A head coach of a college football team is maybe not one that fits his bill any longer. So he breaks into a 10 minute seizure on the sidelines and you all are so hip and politically correct you shrug it off and act like nothing happened? Impossible.

You and I definitely have a different definition of disturbing. I consider the shootings in Washington today disturbing.

This is probably your worst post yet. You have no clue if any of this is true.

Our discomfort with anything should have nothing to do with Jerry Kill coaching. Our concern for his health really had no bearing on the decision - that's up to Jerry, his wife, his doctors, and Norwood.

Brett Boyum's piece linked in another thread speaks to the issue well - people work in public, stressful jobs every day. Do we expect everyone with Epilepsy to lock their door and collect disability? Should young people avoid AP classes because other courses would be less stressful? Should a CEO resign because she/he may seizure during one of the quarterly Board meetings? I mean, really, it really all boils down to these four key meetings.

No, he doesn't speak to the issue at all.

And it's not a question about those with epilepsy in general. It's not simply an issue of "what may happen". It's about Jerry Kill's health specifically and what has happened. We have a history to look at.

If a CEO repeatedly had seizures during earnings calls or meeting with investors, something would change.

Not with Jerry, though. He ain't changing. And according to him, it's not up to his wife or his doctors. He doesn't want to hear it.

Well thank goodness Maturi was a dork. That "dork" hired a coach that has the program heading in the right direction!!!!

You and I definitely have a different definition of disturbing. I consider the shootings in Washington today disturbing.

Of course there is a difference. I actually don't believe for a minute GophherinIowa that if you were at a game when this happened you wouldn't be bothered, disturbed or whatever term is appropriate. I recall the first one that happened here Jerry's wife went Ape on the sidelines and had to be forcibly held back while the paramedics helped coach. She was obviously affected. I just couldn't think more how disingenuous it is for anyone to act like its no big deal.

No, he doesn't speak to the issue at all.

And it's not a question about those with epilepsy in general. It's not simply an issue of "what may happen". It's about Jerry Kill's health specifically and what has happened. We have a history to look at.

If a CEO repeatedly had seizures during earnings calls or meeting with investors, something would change.

Not with Jerry, though. He ain't changing. And according to him, it's not up to his wife or his doctors. He doesn't want to hear it.

Wow. You speak with such authority so often on so many topics, with so little background to do so.

Top Bottom