Jeff Wills

+100

Hats off to you Mr. Wills. Best post on this board in a long time.

Do not avoid GH, we are not all haters!

The negative personal attack type posts generally come from drunk, young students in my experience. Many simply think of our players as characters out of a video game and not actual young men/students who're far from home, trying to go to class, make friends, meet girls and have a quality college experience on top of playing Big-10 football.

I'm grateful to Jeff for choosing us and think he looks like a project with a lot of upside as a player. It's my opinion that he would have benefited from a red shirt year to get his body where it needs to be, but the fact of the matter is he was needed immediately and that's where we're at. We're still 4-4 with 3 very winnable games in front of us + the opportunity to make our season by beating Iowa.

I think Jeff showed a lot of dedication getting his weight down when he got on campus and look forward to his continued progress and his play next year once he's had a full off season to dedicate to Mark Hill's S&C program. It's not unusual for Juco's to take time to adjust to the speed and physicality of Big-10 play. For reference, another Juco transfer Hayo Carpenter was the #1 (??? Memory fading on me. If not #1, he was dang close) ranked Juco WR in the nation last year and he has only played a handful of plays the entire season so it's not an easy transition. The irony is if Jeff really stunk no one would care because he'd be sitting on the bench.

Please convey to Jeff that the silent majority are rooting him on, and expect to be bowling at the end of this season.

Most "name-calling" posts come from young, immature people, and/or happen during or shortly after a game. I've learned to not post too much right after a game, especially after a loss. Sometimes the heat of the moment gets the best of us and we write things we wish we didn't. Sitting back and looking at everything rationally is the best bet. You may still feel the same way about something, but you may say it a better way; for example saying a certain player had a bad game instead of saying "he sucks".

It's an unfortunate thing, but it's going to happen in the internet age. People can hide behind their computer screen.

Was Jeff recruited by penn state??

I don't know but I think the point was "Do you want to play for a big name school or a rising school that will play (and might beat) the big name programs?"

Great post Mr. wills. I think your son has the potential to play a long time at the next level. You were right about the wt and strength, also remember the jump from JUCO to this level cannot be underestimated, which I'm sure Jeff understands now. The former players and people who really count are not the bashers, they all know what it is like. Hope Jeff hangs tough, he has alot of support!!

Very very classy post Wills family. Thank you!

Bravo Mr. Wills. Great post. As a former offensive tackle myself, I love watching the line play. Those who have ripped on Jeff have not watched him play-after-play as I have. I think he's basically played quite well and he is a good athlete for someone his size. I congratulated him after the spring game and he seemed like a nice guy. People like Sid Hartman think it's ok to rip on the O line all year but not on the qb. I support your son fully.

To those of you who post all of the "fat" and "hated" negative responses, you certainly have that right to do so but they pretty much fall on deaf ears.
Good for you and your son. Anyone who throws out terms like that for a college player is an ass, and frankly offensive line play is one of the harder things to judge for laymen. I doubt most of the people trashing him have any clue what they're talking about. As long as your son keeps that attitude, keeps his head down and keeps working he'll be fine.

Excellent post here. I hope to see a few on this board use this as a reality check.

Good for you and your son. Anyone who throws out terms like that for a college player is an ass, and frankly offensive line play is one of the harder things to judge for laymen. I doubt most of the people trashing him have any clue what they're talking about. As long as your son keeps that attitude, keeps his head down and keeps working he'll be fine.

To be fair, what does that make anyone(maybe even a coach towards a cynical media member)who throws those same terms around?

Amazing to see what a family member/friend's post will do do to improve the conduct of the board. I'm critial at times but Mr. Wills post will make me think first. Kudos to Mr. Wills....I will root hard for Jeff and his teammates to continue to work towards their personal and team goals!

To be fair, what does that make anyone(maybe even a coach towards a cynical media member)who throws those same terms around?
Well, this isn't really the thread to discuss that but yes that is disappointing.

I will try to be a little more substantive in my comments. OL is a position where you don't hear your name unless you screw up, everyone knows that. I will point out that where I was hearing Wills' name all the time at the beginning of the season, I have not heard it nearly as much, if at all, in recent games. Clearly the guy is improving as the year wears on. Another full year of conditioning should keep the momentum going.

I've pointed out in the past my affinity for Lee Campbell, a player who in all honesty sucked pretty bad in years past but has clearly worked his tail off and is now not only a top-flight LB but a leader on defense. Not everyone is going to improve that much, but as long as any player is giving it 100%, no one can really complain.

Mr Wills...

wonderful post and please keep coming back as the spirit moves you. Although like most boards, we do have our share of trolls, misfits and outright haters, the vast majority of GHers support the program and the hard-working young men like your son who have chosen to represent the University and State of Minnesota on the playing field. Please let him...and his teammates...know that the support from Gopher Nation is indeed broad and deep.

i would love to see this post "tagged" to the top of the board for a while....

if only to remind some of the resident haters, flamers, pat-reusse types, etc, etc. that when it comes down to it: THESE GUYS ARE 18-22 YR OLD KIDS (not professional athletes) who work their butts off in the classroom and on the field for hours at a time all while playing a game for our flagship state university.

please try to keep it all in perspective folks!

okay, i am climbing down from my soap-box now. ;)

Thanks for your post. Its a big jump from JUCO to B10 football. Jeff has great potential. I'm glad Jeff is in maroon and gold and will be be pulling for him for the rest of his Gopher career.

I really appreciate Mr. Wills post and the hope it gives to positive Gopher fans. Hopefully his post inspires positive fans to be more vocal and the haters to take a look at what they are saying and doing and ask, why am I hating on 18-22 year old kids. These kids are somebody’s children and thank you for reminding all of us.
Go GOPHERS!!

Mr. Wills excellent post. You were honest, yet very supportive as any father should be when speaking of their son. The one thing that continues to frustrate me as a fan is how little support and effort Tim Davis provides Jeff on passing downs. Jeff Wills crushes when used in run blocking, but never gets the extra support when facing quick, pass rush only defensive ends.

This is clearly not a player who can't handle Division I football, rather one who is still learning. You wouldn't send a 15 year old with their learner's permit out driving on their own on Hwy 62 and 35W interchange during rush hour, would you?

Looking forward to 2010 and an experienced offensive line...

Mike,

As the father of another Gopher O-lineman I want to say that my son holds yours in the highest regard as a person and a player. Although what you read here sometimes makes you want to punch the screen, you have to understand that the people saying this don't have a clue. They do not understand how hard it is to get to this level (and the work once you are there) or realize only 1% of high school players ever live this dream.

One minute they are talking about a kids 4 star rating with Rivals, the next they are throwing them under the bus. In a recent post someone was already trashing Moses A. questioning his ability to lead the team!! He is a freshman- the play book is 5 inches thick-come on!!

The people that slash and burn these kids would never say it to your face or theirs, but a blog gives them the courage. Everyone needs to remember they are kids! They want to win as much as anyone else. They are proud to be Gophers.

Thank you to the above bloggers for your positive comments.

Exactly, these players are kids. I think it's sad that a parent of one of these kids felt the need to post here based on all the venom that people spew sometimes. They're kids, treat them as such. Give them guidance, not garbage. Thanks to both the parents for your posts. Go Gophers!

Jeff is a up and coming linemen I have watched jeff in high school, junior college, and now D1A football. He has improved at every level and i am sure he won't disapoint Gopher fans. As for all of the critics who proably never played a down in their life! I say try it you probaly won't like. If you are real fans you won't tear these young men apart. After all this is your team win or lose. I say always incourage them give them confidence and one its going to pay off. As for Jeff wills I think he is going to do great things. Go Gophers Go Jeff. Lloyd (drfeelgood424)

Mr Wills I appreciate your posting. I, for one think Jeff may be very good next year. Once he gets on a DL its over. His main issues have all seemed to stem from his size. I've said that at 340 or even 330 Jeff will be a very good player and I think we'll see that guy next year. What people fail to realize is that if there was someone else on the team that could do better, they'd be in the game. Jeff is learning to be a B10 OL on the fly on a team that isn't making many big plays in general so every mistake is magnified.

Thank you Mr. Wills, for this timely post. I have a grandson Byant Allen on the team and I almost dread him making a slight error for fear of him being trashed on the message boards. I support the Gopher Team all the way! :clap:Have been reading the boards since BA verbally commited to the U

Granny Elaine

Thanks for posting GE!

And first class post MW!

I'm on board...win or lose...support the coach and young men that choose to represent our fine school.

Beat MSU and shut up the haters!

GM

I had no idea so many parents and grandparents read GH.

STLGopher we are all very excited to see Bryant get more involved in the offense, I am positive he'll do great things!

I had no idea so many parents and grandparents read GH.

You'd be surprised! Just assume coaches, parents, former players, recruits and a lot of current players read. I've heard from many who do.

This has been the most enjoyable thread to read in a long time.....No negative comments at all and some good reminders to people on the board.

Lets keep this positive attitude in the future. I dont go on GH till Monday following a loss because it is just too ridiculous. Keep things to yourself if they don't help improve Gopher Nation. Critically analyzing is part of it, but a lot of posters on here take it too far.
Mr. Wills, Your son has, as Brew would say, TREMENDOUSLY improved this year, and while there is still plenty of work left to do, I am excited for his future in the maroon and gold.
Thank you for your thoughts,post, and as a player's parent ALL OF THE HARD WORK YOU AND JEFF PUT INTO REPRESENTING OUR GREAT STATE.
Once again thank you, and Go gophs..

Top Bottom