Jeff Jones switches to Defensive Back

he has a scholarship which none of you never had and might turn out just fine. dont judge the kid.

I'm not judging the kid but that has to be one of the most ridiculous things I've ever read. Fans shouldn't judge players? I don't have to be a mechanic to know that one hasn't fixed a problem with my car.

I'm not judging the kid but that has to be one of the most ridiculous things I've ever read. Fans shouldn't judge players? I don't have to be a mechanic to know that one hasn't fixed a problem with my car.

I had a full ROTC scholarship to UM. I'm pretty glad taxpayers weren't discussing my performance flying helicopters in social media! It was hard enough just worrying about keeping all in the aircraft alive.

I had a full ROTC scholarship to UM. I'm pretty glad taxpayers weren't discussing my performance flying helicopters in social media! It was hard enough just worrying about keeping all in the aircraft alive.

You clearly should have been redshirted.

Well Jeff Jones wouldn't be the first grad from Washburn to switch positions, from offense to defense. Come in as a highly coveted recruit. The other one is currently starting for the Falcons

Of course fans weren't discussing your performance because it wasn't televised, no "fans" cared enough to show up and watch it, and no reporters cared enough to write about it. Public scrutiny comes with the territories of certain activities but is completely missing from others. If one doesn't want this type of scrutiny, then he should skip participating in big time collegiate sports and stick to participating in an honorary college of business fraternity.

This staff has had cases in the past of kids who have certain types of injuries and are able to go at defensive back but not wide receiver. Has anyone considered that instead of the sky falling and him getting ready to bolt, or JJ being a complete failure as a college athlete(some of you's takes are ridiculous), maybe he has a nagging injury of some sort that is preventing him from practicing at wide receiver. If he can at least get reps in practice at DB, it would be better than not practicing at all. I have no evidence to back this up, but it's just a thought.

Well Jeff Jones wouldn't be the first grad from Washburn to switch positions, from offense to defense. Come in as a highly coveted recruit. The other one is currently starting for the Falcons
Exactly. Everyone take a breath

But now they've taken a shot at you're writing abilities. I hope your not hurt.

But now they've taken a shot at you're writing abilities. I hope your not hurt.

That was me taking a shot at other's writing ability. Try and keep up. I'm writing this as slowly as I can.

Everybody wants me to relax. I should relax instead of worry about Jeff Jones. I appreciate all the concern and I am looking forward to taking your advice and relaxing.

Just prior to stringing up my hammock, I will remind you that it was also nice to relax after our 4 star RB recruit switched to WR last spring. It was just as relaxing then to hear that as a WR, JJ could make an immediate impact, as it is now to hear that his ticket to the NFL is as a D-back. I haven't been this relaxed since that d-lineman caught Hayo Carpenter from behind.

Ahhh... Time for my hot bath.

There ain't no pity in Mill City!
I agree that it doesn't matter where JJ plays. Just hope he is able to stay healthy, get a good education, and help this team win more games.

This is a sad straw to grasp onto for fans desperate to rewrite how this season could have been. We are all disappointed, try to stay positive, have patience and in CLAEYS we trust.

Patience people! Geez, he's a FRESHMAN... To call him a bust at this point is ludicrous. Some take longer to "get it" than others. Ask David Cobb...

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

What if.... just what if... He's in Limegrover's dog house? There was so much hype by the coaching staff before the season, and then now he's "not good enough?" Nope, that's B.S. He can't learn the playbook? That might be partly true, but mostly B.S. also. Because I am sure he knows a play or two, and could be put in for a play or two. Every week he has unspecified injuries. You would think it was some sort of ACL tear or something. And all this position switching... They are just giving him the run-around until he gives up and leaves. Somewhere along the line, he must have complained about playing time or ate someone's sandwich, and put himself deeper in the doghouse. Something smells fishy, and I feel bad for the kid.
Feel for him too. He's had concussion issues of the reports are true. Maybe moving him to D to give him more control over who hits/gets hit? I can come up with a lot of potential reasons why this is going on but all of them would be as valid as your bullish!t the coaches don't like him suggestion.

My hope is that Jeff finds the field and is as good as his potential 2 years ago suggested. If there is an issue, I hope it gets worked out. If it doesn't and he leaves, I hope he finds success unless it is at Iowa, Wisconsin or meatchicken. Aside from that, anything else is pure arrogant bullsh!t.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's difficult to speculate why this switch was made. There are a number of possibilities. It's possible that the freshmen backs have impressed enough that we don't need JJ at RB. It's possible that Claeys saw the potential at d-back, but Kill wanted to keep him on the offense. It's also possible that he's simply not as good as projected. He's got the athleticism, and with the job this coaching staff has done with the defensive backfield, it's possible that just saw this as a better fit.

Possibilities - You tell me what makes the most sense:
1. Coaches know JJ would be an impact player, but they're keeping him off the field because of some murky ulterior motive.

2. he's really hurt.

3. the coaches honestly think that Brooks and Smith are ahead of JJ on the RB depth chart at this point in their careers

4. the coaches honestly think JJ has the potential to help the team more at DB in the future.

5. It's a Communist plot.

6. they found out JJ is an illegal alien and they're trying to keep President Trump from deporting him.

Possibilities - You tell me what makes the most sense:
1. Coaches know JJ would be an impact player, but they're keeping him off the field because of some murky ulterior motive.

2. he's really hurt.

3. the coaches honestly think that Brooks and Smith are ahead of JJ on the RB depth chart at this point in their careers

4. the coaches honestly think JJ has the potential to help the team more at DB in the future.

5. It's a Communist plot.

6. they found out JJ is an illegal alien and they're trying to keep President Trump from deporting him.

There are lots more than that. Would you bet money he won't ever play on O? I wouldn't. Let's just let this play out.

Let me guess, your an English major? Your double negative implies that we all had scholarships, which in my case is true, but most likely does not apply to everyone.

The Gopherhole circus is priceless entertainment. Try reading GH comments like these over and over after a few beers. More beer=more brain cell losses to me. Love my senior moments.

:drink:

The Gopherhole circus is priceless entertainment. Try reading GH comments like these over and over after a few beers. More beer=more brain cell losses to me. Love my senior moments.

:drink:

Agreed. This is one of the more psychotic threads I've read in a while. It would be funnier if it wasn't so sad. Jeff Jones is playing DB because...the coaches want him at DB. Wow, what a concept.

Agreed. <b>This is one of the more psychotic threads I've read in a while. </b>It would be funnier if it wasn't so sad. Jeff Jones is playing DB because...the coaches want him at DB. Wow, what a concept.

That's a bold statement considering we are just days removed form Ralphie saying he wanted Lane Kiffin since we couldn't get Glenn Mason.

per Greder:

JONES AS A DB

Gophers freshman Jeff Jones' position change to defensive back occurred a few weeks ago and was based on trying to find a way to get him on the field.

"If there is somebody there we think can help us in the secondary or something like that, we're going to move them over and let them do some individual stuff," Claeys said. "Maybe we have somebody here on the team that we can fill a need with and allow us to get somebody else. So that's what brought that on."

http://www.twincities.com/sports/ci...t-biggest-change-tracy-claeys-more-recruiting

Go Gophers!!

OK, I will throw out my will guess. And just to set the record straight, I ain't was no English major neither.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Nor a typing major...

I think the coaches still really like his talent and want to get him on the field. But with two freshman RB's ahead of him, they need to find him a spot. Claeys likes his potential at DB more than at WR.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Your examples are good. Nobody else comes to mind to refute what you say as anything but true. I don't know what the story is regarding Jeff Jones...all I'm saying is whatever the problem I don't see it as a lack of talent for Jeff Jones. I don't know the issues. How was he spectacular in the spring on offense and now so hopeless we are going to teach him defense. Yet, we do from time to time struggle on offense and Jones has demonstrated talent there. I just am surprised if the issues are football talent related. Frustrated might express the total of it for me.

GREAT observations. There is far more to taking the field than how good you are.

Whether the coaches are wrong or right (most cases), it is the players responsibility to do what is required to get on the field.

I heard a teaser on the news last night that Jeff Jones was going to apply for a medical red-shirt due to migraines. It was also stated that he moved to DB after some NFL scouts suggested it would be a good move for him. I think it was Doogie, so take that for what it's worth.

I heard a teaser on the news last night that Jeff Jones was going to apply for a medical red-shirt due to migraines. It was also stated that he moved to DB after some NFL scouts suggested it would be a good move for him. I think it was Doogie, so take that for what it's worth.

Wouldn't it make more sense to worry about getting on the field and helping THIS team however he can more than what the NFL may or may not want? He's as far from the NFL as Perra right now, so that might not be a worry he should be giving a lot of time to...

The NFL scouts recommendation must be an encouragement to JJ. Hope he gets the medical redshirt and figures out the migraines

Top Bottom