Jeff Jones switches to Defensive Back

Dang. With our running back injuries I was thinking maybe we would see him back at RB for a game or two this season.

Is he going to be like Bradley Edwards?

I'll be surprised if he ever starts one game. Add him to the Hayo Carpenter list...

I'll be surprised if he's a Gopher. How is he doing all this practicing but always listed as out? If Limegrover is saying he can't learn the offensive playbook...give him one play this week, one play the next week.
Use his explosiveness on offense. Same thing for Edwards, there's gotta be a play each week you can use their speed and ability on rather than running Brooks or Smith through the same hole with the same play all day and saying we can't run. Don't get it.

Just heard that JJ switched to DT today.

I'll be surprised if he's a Gopher. How is he doing all this practicing but always listed as out? If Limegrover is saying he can't learn the offensive playbook...give him one play this week, one play the next week.
Use his explosiveness on offense. Same thing for Edwards, there's gotta be a play each week you can use their speed and ability on rather than running Brooks or Smith through the same hole with the same play all day and saying we can't run. Don't get it.

Maybe he's not that explosive by B1G standards. He just looked explosive against lesser HS competition. Edwards isn't either. He's fast but can't get to the edge at this level. Sorry HS All-Star games don't matter.

In a crazy turn of events JJ will now go by the name Bobby Bushay and run the water Dept.

In a crazy turn of events JJ will now go by the name Bobby Bushay and run the water Dept.

What a bunch of dicks. The kid is having a hard time fitting in and all you experts think he should be Barry sanders. he has a scholarship which none of you never had and might turn out just fine. dont judge the kid. Hope he comes through. If not then hope he figures his situation out and does well for himself.

Maybe he's not that explosive by B1G standards. He just looked explosive against lesser HS competition. Edwards isn't either. He's fast but can't get to the edge at this level. Sorry HS All-Star games don't matter.

Uh huh, "Lightning in a bottle's" problem is he can't get to the edge fast enough. Got it. Question? How often have you seen him run anywhere but up the middle? And Jones was glowingly quoted by coaches as an amazing all world receiver in the spring but now can't play at all on offense. Uh huh, got it!

Uh huh, "Lightning in a bottle's" problem is he can't get to the edge fast enough. Got it. Question? How often have you seen him run anywhere but up the middle? And Jones was glowingly quoted by coaches as an amazing all world receiver in the spring but now can't play at all on offense. Uh huh, got it!

What the **** do you think listed as "out" means? That he's not picking up the offense?

What the **** do you think listed as "out" means? That he's not picking up the offense?

And what are the reports each week that he's practicing on defense? That he's out hurt just on Saturdays? It all doesn't add up. Limegrover implied he doesn't get the offense, not me.

Maybe you just know more than the coaches. How many highly touted recruits has this staff run off that have panned out elsewhere? Andre McDonald? Phil Nelson? Jamel Harbison? If he was good enough to play on offense, he would be playing.

Maybe you just know more than the coaches. How many highly touted recruits has this staff run off that have panned out elsewhere? Andre McDonald? Phil Nelson? Jamel Harbison? If he was good enough to play on offense, he would be playing.

Your examples are good. Nobody else comes to mind to refute what you say as anything but true. I don't know what the story is regarding Jeff Jones...all I'm saying is whatever the problem I don't see it as a lack of talent for Jeff Jones. I don't know the issues. How was he spectacular in the spring on offense and now so hopeless we are going to teach him defense. Yet, we do from time to time struggle on offense and Jones has demonstrated talent there. I just am surprised if the issues are football talent related. Frustrated might express the total of it for me.

I wouldn't say that the staff "ran off" those players. They probably ran themselves off or some combination of the sort.

EDIT: whoops, responded to the wrong comment.

What if.... just what if... He's in Limegrover's dog house? There was so much hype by the coaching staff before the season, and then now he's "not good enough?" Nope, that's B.S. He can't learn the playbook? That might be partly true, but mostly B.S. also. Because I am sure he knows a play or two, and could be put in for a play or two. Every week he has unspecified injuries. You would think it was some sort of ACL tear or something. And all this position switching... They are just giving him the run-around until he gives up and leaves. Somewhere along the line, he must have complained about playing time or ate someone's sandwich, and put himself deeper in the doghouse. Something smells fishy, and I feel bad for the kid.

JJ was not off to a good start with his college football career. He was off football and team practices the first year. He has a difficult road playing catch physically and mentally for football. His His frequent injuries compounds everything.

Let's hope he rebounds through hard work and be able to contribute to the team in one form or another and get his college degree. This is really his freshman year.

If he keeps a positive attitude and has a team first mentality, he'll do okay.

I hope that he keeps working hard in the classroom/weight room/practices, and make the most of an opportunity when it comes to him down the road.

http://blogs.twincities.com/gophers/2015/11/12/gophers-football-jones-moves-to-defensive-back/

Per Marcus, Jeff Jones has switched positions to defensive back. Doesn't surprise me too much given the fact our two young RBs are looking great.

Has the team actually confirmed this position switch? Looking at Marcus's story his source is a radio station and not a direct report from the athletic department. Gophersports.com still shows him as a WR, assuming he is right about the change but thought the source was interesting.

As for Jones, still early and tough to say how his college career will play out. The only thing that seems somewhat certain at this point is that he is not going to be the elite talent at RB that we all hoped he would be when he signed. Hopefully he can get his injury issues sorted out and find a good nitch with the team at a position where he can make and impact.

Has the team actually confirmed this position switch? Looking at Marcus's story his source is a radio station and not a direct report from the athletic department. Gophersports.com still shows him as a WR, assuming he is right about the change but thought the source was interesting.

As for Jones, still early and tough to say how his college career will play out. The only thing that seems somewhat certain at this point is that he is not going to be the elite talent at RB that we all hoped he would be when he signed. Hopefully he can get his injury issues sorted out and find a good nitch with the team at a position where he can make and impact.

It was reported that he's been at DB since at least the bye week.

I also think people need to relax. He's got 2-3 years to figure something out and with health issues included, it's probably best to focus there.

I know we love to speculate, but the only clear fact is he's been beat out and has faced a lot of adversity. He could turn into a starting DB for all we know. Our defensive coaches are pretty good..

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

he has a scholarship which none of you never had and might turn out just fine.

Let me guess, your an English major? Your double negative implies that we all had scholarships, which in my case is true, but most likely does not apply to everyone.

Especially, Ralph Wiggum.

Maybe they saw JJ on the roster and assumed it was JJ Watt. He should be on defense.

This switch could be the best thing for Jeff, only time will tell.

Let me guess, your an English major? Your double negative implies that we all had scholarships, which in my case is true, but most likely does not apply to everyone.

Maybe they saw JJ on the roster and assumed it was JJ Watt. He should be on defense.

Absolutely priceless.

Maybe they saw JJ on the roster and assumed it was JJ Watt. He should be on defense

Pardon me Otis. No I ain't no English major. But a fine engineer and business man.

Interesting.

I never imagined Brooks would be this good, so I'm sure we'll be fine with whatever is decided.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I heard Lou Holtz say a couple of months ago that a surprising percentage (which I no longer remember) of five star recruits never earn a letter. Pre-college football ratings appear to be far less reliable than pre-college basketball ratings but even some of those highly rated basketball players don't pan out.

Top Bottom