JEFF JONES OFFICIALLY A GOPHER!!!

this is the difference between Kill and Kaler Co.

this is the difference between Kill and Kaler Co. and past coach - pres relationships. In my years there we never saw the U president at Bierman....ever.

No, he doesn't have to requalify.

However, everything I read says that Jones will only have 3 years of eligibility left unless*.

NCAA Bylaw 14.3

*"They can play only three seasons in their sport if they maintain eligibility from year to year (to earn a fourth season they must complete at least 80 percent of their degree before beginning their fifth year of college)." From this.

It doesn't seem too difficult to get a fourth year of elligibility. If you are graduating in four years, you need to average 25% per year. If you have 5 years, you just need 20% per year. It looks likr all it says is that he just needs to be on pace to graduate in five years.

Sent from my LG-L38C using Tapatalk 2

I don't believe for one second that JJ has an intelligence problem. This is a result of his background and growing up in the inner city without much hope that there is any value in an education. I think it is as likely that he graduates with a Masters as with a Bachelors based on what he has gone through and how he appears to be applying himself. That said said, he could go pro early too.

Go to the basketball board and read the link on Al Nolen. He deserves a hearty round of applause. He is making a difference in the city. These kids deserve a break.

I don't believe for one second that JJ has an intelligence problem. This is a result of his background and growing up in the inner city without much hope that there is any value in an education. I think it is as likely that he graduates with a Masters as with a Bachelors based on what he has gone through and how he appears to be applying himself. That said said, he could go pro early too.

Go to the basketball board and read the link on Al Nolen. He deserves a hearty round of applause. He is making a difference in the city. These kids deserve a break.

It could also be that he was told, or thought in is own mind that his football prowess will make up for being lazy in school.

Don't confuse that with a lack of ability to do well in school, it's just that some people don't apply themselves and reach their potential. I think JJ finally have the sense knocked into him that he needs the grades to go along with the FB ability to get into school.

I also would not be surprised to see him flourish in school now that he knows what is expected of him.

And a huge +1 on Nolen. That is an inspiring story. Proud to call him a Gopher.

It doesn't seem too difficult to get a fourth year of elligibility. If you are graduating in four years, you need to average 25% per year. If you have 5 years, you just need 20% per year. It looks likr all it says is that he just needs to be on pace to graduate in five years.

100/4 = 25
100/5 = 20
Yep, you're right. Thanks.

this is the difference between Kill and Kaler Co. and past coach - pres relationships. In my years there we never saw the U president at Bierman....ever.

Going to go Dpo on this one and say a simple False to your statement, because it is simply not true.

Going to go Dpo on this one and say a simple False to your statement, because it is simply not true.

so, you and Nils often walked the halls of Bierman? strange, how i overlooked you and Nils. gonna need pics tho you can understand.

A year with good coaching and explosive/speed training and you're looking at a true star.

Welcome to the U jeff

Exactly what I was thinking. How can he get into the U but be denied by the NCAA. And why is it taking so long.

The question becomes very much like O'Bannon. Can a third party deny the rights of an individual to participate in something because of rules of the 3rd party? Just another restraint of opportunity to a "qualified" student. Jeff Jones needs good representation and a fast track to the US Supreme Court.

The question becomes very much like O'Bannon. Can a third party deny the rights of an individual to participate in something because of rules of the 3rd party? Just another restraint of opportunity to a "qualified" student. Jeff Jones needs good representation and a fast track to the US Supreme Court.

The reason the rule is there (much like many of the NCAA rules) is because I'm sure there are plenty of dishonest institutions that would like to bend the rules to their team's benefit. I'm not at all saying that's what the U is doing here, just that I'm sure that's why the NCAA has a million rules.

LOL - You must be a lawyer. I know you have issues with NCAA and they need to be resolved but in your world there wouldn't be any check and balances which will lead to chaos. Meanwhile the lawyers will take their one-third cut. I am not sure how all this is going to play out but be careful what you wish for. There will very likely be unintended consequences without stakeholders working together. Hopefully, some rational people can get together before the lawyers and courts can do to much damage. It is usually best and a lot less expensive if the parties find a solution together that will make the pie bigger not smaller. The NFL and players union are a good example of this. Parity seems to work. Chaos won't.

Good news. I'm curious where the badger troll is who said there was 0% chance Jeff Jones would play for the Gophers?

Good news. I'm curious where the badger troll is who said there was 0% chance Jeff Jones would play for the Gophers?
Good chance he's crawling along I-90 looking for another deer carcass.

so, you and Nils often walked the halls of Bierman? strange, how i overlooked you and Nils. gonna need pics tho you can understand.

Guess if you are just talking about Nils then maybe he didn't spend time at Bierman however I know Bruininicks and Yudof both did so I don't think there is anything groundbreaking going on between Kill and Kaler.

100/4 = 25
100/5 = 20
Yep, you're right. Thanks.

It is a pretty low threshold to meet. Kill is pretty serious about the players getting. an education, so I'm confident he'll be on pace to graduate. The intent appears to be to discourage schools from bringing in recruits who are marginal students and not ensuring they get sn education.

LOL - You must be a lawyer. I know you have issues with NCAA and they need to be resolved but in your world there wouldn't be any check and balances which will lead to chaos. Meanwhile the lawyers will take their one-third cut. I am not sure how all this is going to play out but be careful what you wish for. There will very likely be unintended consequences without stakeholders working together. Hopefully, some rational people can get together before the lawyers and courts can do to much damage. It is usually best and a lot less expensive if the parties find a solution together that will make the pie bigger not smaller. The NFL and players union are a good example of this. Parity seems to work. Chaos won't.

You're a stupid person's idea of what a smart person sounds like.

You realize you're advocating for a system that is antithetical to what the NCAA wants, right? You want a union for the players to collectively bargain with the schools and/or NCAA. Tell me how that happens in the real world without a legal dispute. To get that system, you literally have to blow the NCAA up. To do that, you need courtrooms and lawyers. What's really funny is your ideal system is something Dean would be entirely happy with. You're on the same page, only he's not foolish enough to think the system will change without lawyers.

As for the pie, well, I think it grew just fine for the NFL and MLB even though Reggie White sued the NFL and Curt Flood sued MLB. They brought so called "chaos" to their respective sports. The NFL and their avoidance of addressing concussions seems at least partly analogous to the current situation as well. The NFL is doing just fine growing their pie in the face of "chaos" that the NFL created by itself by not willingly addressing concussions. The NFL will have to pay more of that growing pie out, but the pie is growing rapidly. The payouts aren't going to come close to ruining the NFL.

Saying the lawyers and courts will screw things up when one of the parties won't even engage the other party in solving the situation let alone change the system themselves without legal pressure is laughable. The system was already broken with one party being completely intransigent. Only a court can force an intransigent party to move. Powerful people and powerful entities almost never give up any of their power willingly.

Yes. Any pro sports league would be an example of this. Pro athletes are employees of individual teams, yet they are bound by all sorts of rules by the league that the team is in, including caps to how much they can be paid, what legal (or illegal) substances they can put in their body, what they can say in front of cameras, what they must wear in front of camera. Those are all kinds of individual rights (free speech, bodily integrity, compensation for their labor) which are imposed by a third party (the pro leagues).

Maybe the most direct comparison would be Pete Rose, where the rules of a third party resulted in a lifetime ban from ever participating as a coach or player with any team in the league.

It appears that you believe that the only solution to resolve the issues facing college football is for it to become to become a professional league. I am not sure exactly how you see this playing out but if this new model doesn't take in consideration such things as the educational role of college for these players, title 9 regulations, creating a working structure that both sustainable and workable, etc. etc. then the whole thing is likely to implode. It is also imperative that the model supports a level playing such as the NFL has today. I don't believe this will be accomplished by judges issuing orders. I know you have strong feelings about the "fairness" of the present structure but without addressing all these other issues in a more rational way we will just have a whole new set of problems.

One last point, I really don't appreciate the arrogance you have expressed in communicating your views. This is a complicated issue and solving it is going take a lot of creativity and hard work. Your view is one of many views. It is not the TRUTH.

Hey everyone, let's all go back to the Tre Jones thread and talk about some quality 13 year old hoops.

So, how about Jeff Jones? If talking about Jeff Jones in a Jeff Jones thread is allowed.

This no longer has anything to do with Jeff Jones. It is all about the incompetence of the NCAA Clearling House. If his grades and transcript were received, reviewed, and accepted by the University of Minnesota and an acceptance letter was sent and received, it raises the question what does it take at NCCA. We are nearly half way through August, and nothing from those charged with eligibility. Blow the darn thing up.

I think you need the NCAA - or some other form of oversight, to prevent (or at least reduce) the amount of cheating.

After all, Alabama was able to get Forrest Gump in school, and I'll bet his ACT score was worse than Jeff Jones.

I think you need the NCAA - or some other form of oversight, to prevent (or at least reduce) the amount of cheating.

After all, Alabama was able to get Forrest Gump in school, and I'll bet his ACT score was worse than Jeff Jones.

rri734x.jpg

From the cupcakes with too much frosting, to Coach Kill having to file for waiver for his wife to drive him to visits. Too many rules, not enough enforcement. This should be a responsibility of the Big 10 Conference. Rules, and enforcement. I think 14 investigators with subpoena power would do a better job.

Jeff Jones is a case where trying to be fair creates an unfair situation of its own. It proves the law of unintended consequences. Rules set up conditions of fairness only to create more powerful imbalances causing greater unfairness. The NCAA is a well intended organization that upholds values that are not agreed upon by the people it imposes those values. It is clear that a Jeff Jones would want to play ball this year, became academically eligible by Minnesota established standards, and then was denied full student life privileges in an organization where he has no say, rights or privileges. The only remedy available under the law is to go to court. Hamelin U should have no say in the admission practice of the U. Neither should Syracuse, Iowa, UNLV, or Pepperdine, etc. If the U gave him an unfair admissions advantage, well, some other prospective student may need to utilize the law to gain that same advantage, and that would be fair and is an option. But, with the NCAA, they have no interest in granting similar advantages to prospective students. The court does keep that in focus. I would argue that to replace the NCAA with an open market regulated like any other industry keeps the playing field naturally level to where things work best. I am sure the Judge Magnuson's of the world can sort out the legal issues and fair play better than an unrepresentative NCAA panel.

Hi All

Please can someone just confirm if I have this correct?

1) Jeff Jones is starting class this fall at the University of Minnesota

2) he is not allowed to join the football program until the NCAA clears him to do so

3) We don't have a timescale for when the NCAA makes the decision and, given the amount of practice he has missed and our depth at running back, it is increasingly unlikely he plays this year

4) If he attends class this year, but does not have NCAA clearance to join the football program, he still has four years of football eligibility (potentially five if he redshirts) starting in 2015 - if this is correct, does he count as a scholarship against the 2015 class?

Thanks, just a bit confused by it all.

Hi All

Please can someone just confirm if I have this correct?

1) Jeff Jones is starting class this fall at the University of Minnesota

2) he is not allowed to join the football program until the NCAA clears him to do so

3) We don't have a timescale for when the NCAA makes the decision and, given the amount of practice he has missed and our depth at running back, it is increasingly unlikely he plays this year

4) If he attends class this year, but does not have NCAA clearance to join the football program, he still has four years of football eligibility (potentially five if he redshirts) starting in 2015 - if this is correct, does he count as a scholarship against the 2015 class?

Thanks, just a bit confused by it all.

I believe that is all correct other than being able to redshirt and have 5 years of eligibility left. If he doesn't qualify I believe this year is essentially a redshirt year that he has to pay for.

Top Bottom