JEFF JONES OFFICIALLY A GOPHER!!!

I believe that is all correct other than being able to redshirt and have 5 years of eligibility left. If he doesn't qualify I believe this year is essentially a redshirt year that he has to pay for.

Thanks for reply, greatly appreciated.

Go Gophers!

I think you need the NCAA - or some other form of oversight, to prevent (or at least reduce) the amount of cheating.

After all, Alabama was able to get Forrest Gump in school, and I'll bet his ACT score was worse than Jeff Jones.

That's a bold statement.

Hi All

Please can someone just confirm if I have this correct?

1) Jeff Jones is starting class this fall at the University of Minnesota

2) he is not allowed to join the football program until the NCAA clears him to do so

3) We don't have a timescale for when the NCAA makes the decision and, given the amount of practice he has missed and our depth at running back, it is increasingly unlikely he plays this year

4) If he attends class this year, but does not have NCAA clearance to join the football program, he still has four years of football eligibility (potentially five if he redshirts) starting in 2015 - if this is correct, does he count as a scholarship against the 2015 class?

Thanks, just a bit confused by it all.

1) Maybe. That's the plan of some.

2) Yes, but "unless and" until...

3) Timeline - yes, many possibilities. Biggest issue re: him seeing the field this year is becoming a qualifier. It's possible he took some non-traditional classes this summer that bumped up his GPA. In such cases (non-traditional classes), the NCAA generally looks at the specifics of the class(es) on a case-by-case basis. Minnesota faces a tough road on this one, but it is possible.

If he's a nonqualifier, he can't play this season.

4) There are a couple of things to call out. First, in general, student athletes have four years of what I'll call competition eligibility... i.e., they get to play four years in their sport.

There is also the Five-Year Rule. You generally have five years from the start of college to use up your four years of competition eligibility. If Jones enrolled at the U but was a nonqualifier, his 5 year clock starts up.

It's also possible he could be a nonqualifier who receives a partial waiver. This might allow him to receive financial aid and practice with the team. This result would be great in this circumstance, but based on what the likely argument from the U would be... it's a tough one. There's a chance. Not a great one.

Now remember.. if he is a nonqualifier.. he'll have to achieve a certain level to be able to play in the future.. and so even with a partial waiver, the grades in college then become a huge focus.

So.. let's say he's a nonqualifier in 2014-15. Technically a year from now he would have four years on his five-year clock remaining... but only three years of competition eligibility. A nonqualifier "loses" a year of competition eligibility. However, after four years of school (and, if all goes well, three years of competition), a fourth year can be earned by making steady progress toward a degree (generally defined as getting 80% of your way to a degree in your first four years of college).

Finally.. as to scholarships, there are no scholarships for a 'class'. A program has a number of scholarships for each particular season. If he was a nonqualifier and was just taking class at the U this year, but was able to join the team next season and was on scholarship, his scholarship would count against the team's scholarship just like everyone else's.. what class they're from / associated with doesn't matter.

Hope that helps.

Anything is possible on this one (and most everything the NCAA touches). In order of likelihood, I'd go with:
1) Nonqualifier, period.
2) Nonqualifier with a partial waiver.
3) Qualifier.

Kill says it'll be either 3) or something that doesn't exist.

I should note that as a nonqualifier with a partial waiver, even for those who are allowed to practice there are other restrictions.. kind of a bummer for some of those kids, but in this situation... would say the U should jump for joy if 2 (and certainly 3) happen. Feels pretty shaky.

Hey GW - Wren thinks your posts are too long.

Top Bottom