Jedd Fisch Hired At Miami

I think he is referring to Adam Weber and the QB he turned into once Fisch "corrected" his throwing motion.

Rosemountian, you keep jumping on everyone's back for their criticism of Fisch, but what about his tenure with the gophers and seahawks, teams that displayed awful offensive football during his tenure, makes you so willing to jump up and exclaim he's a good coach?

To be quite honest the Gopher games under Fisch's tutelage featured offenses that looked completely void of any gameplan or cohesiveness in the playcalling.
His gameplans seemed to work fine against Illinois and Michigan State when his players were executing fine. The team didn't have very much offensive talent, that is just fact. The team could not consistently execute whatever the call was (as evidenced by getting stopped on the goalline while running inside, outside, and passing against various opponents such as Penn State and Iowa). he tried many different things in similar situations, and nothing was working. The goalline is the most obvious example. Against Penn State they went up the middle twice, around end toss once, fake to the fullback and toss around end (misdirection) once. They got stuffed all 4 times. Everyone screamed he should have passed. Against Iowa they went for it on multiple 4th and short and goal line situations, when they ran up the middle, they were stuffed. They passed the football and the QB didn't get rid of the ball....and then everyone called fisch a moron. Nothing was working.

Also, and most importantly, I have never called Fisch a good coach. I said he isn't nearly as bad as everyone makes him out to be and that he will do okay in Miami. Never even said he would do well in Miami...said he will do okay. Take it easy.

I can not shake the sight of our wide receivers running into each other in the Iowa game.
12TH game of the season and the offence was still an absolute mess. The players were still unsure of their assignments. I rest my case. The O.C. was Incompetent and thats putting it nicely.

Here is my take on Fisch (and I think Rosemountian might agree with me):

I will not argue that he had an awful year here. He could not call plays and made a lot of mistakes. However, he is very intelligent and understands the game well and should be able to learn from his mistakes. Despite his failure here, there is a reason he is so highly valued by many well respected coaches, and therefore I think he has a chance to be very successful. He did a poor job here, but there was a lot going wrong with the program and he was not working with a group of All-Americans. He is a smart guy and can be a very good offensive coordinator, he has all the tools.

A good coach puts his players in a position to succeed. By mid season it was obvious that he needed to pull back his offence. It was to much for these college players. During the season Pete Bercich commented on the Gopher offence. He stated that the Gopher offence was to complicated. Kids in school do not have as much time as the pros in learning a complicated offence. He also stated that college kids need to spend much of their concentration on basic fundamentals.They are still learning how to play Football.
Fisch with all his genius could not figure this out. His ego always came first. This is why I consider him the worst coach I have ever seen on a Gopher Football team.

Here is my take on Fisch (and I think Rosemountian might agree with me):

I will not argue that he had an awful year here. He could not call plays and made a lot of mistakes. However, he is very intelligent and understands the game well and should be able to learn from his mistakes. Despite his failure here, there is a reason he is so highly valued by many well respected coaches, and therefore I think he has a chance to be very successful. He did a poor job here, but there was a lot going wrong with the program and he was not working with a group of All-Americans. He is a smart guy and can be a very good offensive coordinator, he has all the tools.
This.
And I don't even know if he will be good. I just don't think he will be horrible.

I am amazed at this decision. Fish appeared to be a complete clown while he was here.

You are laughable in terms of football knowledge if you think a great coach can prepare any player to execute at a high level… at some point you have to have the people who are athletic enough to beat the other team. He didn't. I'm not saying he is not partially at fault, but he was far from a bad coach.

You must be one of the guys who though harbaugh was a bad coach when Stanford wasn't executing and losing 8 games his first year. You must have though bevell was a great offensive coordinator when the 2009-10 vikings had one of the best offenses in the NFL.

HAHA. Not in the least. I just take particular offense to a coach who can not even prepare wide recievers to run a basic post route. Too many times, the offense during his tenure, just looked completely lost with no identity or play calling scheme in mind. Take a look at the only time he was ever allowed to call plays. It was putrid. It is a good thing Pete Carroll kept re-hiring him or the dude would be unemployed.

And, no, I do not think Darrell Bevel was a good OC. I give most of that credit to B. Favre along with alot of the failures this season as well. Nor, was Harbaugh a failure. He seems to stick with a system that he believes will be successful. My issue is when you take a decent QB and turn him into complete garbage, such as Fisch did, IMO.

HAHA. Not in the least. I just take particular offense to a coach who can not even prepare wide recievers to run a basic post route. Too many times, the offense during his tenure, just looked completely lost with no identity or play calling scheme in mind. Take a look at the only time he was ever allowed to call plays. It was putrid. It is a good thing Pete Carroll kept re-hiring him or the dude would be unemployed.

And, no, I do not think Darrell Bevel was a good OC. I give most of that credit to B. Favre along with alot of the failures this season as well. Nor, was Harbaugh a failure. He seems to stick with a system that he believes will be successful. My issue is when you take a decent QB and turn him into complete garbage, such as Fisch did, IMO.

Have you ever prepared a gameplan? Often times that season I thought the gophers had a fairly solid game plan that season. Against teams they were overmatched by, they had gameplans that would shorten the game and give them a chance at the end. They lost 12-0 to Iowa, if they had come out with an aggressive gameplan they would have lost by a much higher number. Against Iowa they did not score, but they were stopped deep in Iowa territory 3 times. If they kick 3 FGs instead of going for it all 3 times...they lose 12-9 and all of a sudden it was a great gameplan that allowed them to play with a solid Iowa team.

As for people not being able to run the post routes. Well, they all seemed to run the right routes against Michigan State and Illinois, so at some point you have to put it on the WRs for execution. If they can run the right routes in week 7-8 and they are running them wrong in weeks 11-12....does that mean that all of a sudden the coach got worse in that week? Or does that mean the players had mental lapses?

You may think Fisch turned a decent QB into complete garbage, but I would disagree with that take. I appreciate your rationality in calling him a decent QB and not a good QB like earlier posters have implied. But I will tell you why I disagree with the statement that he made a decent QB complete garbage. The throwing motion angle is not a good one. Weber's changed throwing motion is part of what is getting him talks on the NFL circles right now, if Weber's motion had not been changed he would not be nearly as good of an NFL prospect (though I don't think he is a good one anyways). Once he got said motion down, he ended up cutting down on turnovers towards the end of the year (and the ones he did make were mental mistakes not errant throws...think SDSU pick-6). In the first 8 games of the year he was throwing 1.34 INTs per game. In his last 5 games he was throwing .8 INTs per game. Many people like the blame the throwing motion for his decline in completion percentage, in reality it was the switch from spreadcoast to pro-style. The throws in Dunbar's spread vastly inflate a QB's completion percentage. The difference in difficulty in throws is exactly why completion percentage is not an indicator of accuracy. Scott Tolzien had the 2nd best completion percentage in the country. Does he have the 2nd most accurate arm? Not Close. It took Weber a while to figure out the pro style offense, but he obviously was learning it. This is evidenced by (In my opinion) his best 2 games coming in the last 5 (Michigan State game, and Iowa State game). Weber excelled in the system this year (which was essentially the same system but scaled back a bit). They still had a very large playbook though (all college and pro teams do). If he had not picked anything up under Fisch he would not have had his best season of his career after he had been coached by Fisch IMO. If his throwing motion change was such a bad choice, he wouldn't have had his best season after the change. This was his most accurate season (maybe not statistically) but if you watched the games closely, you would see that he did not miss nearly as many easy throws. Fisch took an excruciatingly mediocre QB, changed his system....Weber took a while to catch on...and then played his best 17 game stretch of his career (individually) his last 17 games. Fisch didn't turn Weber into an all american, but nobody could. Fisch didn't turn Weber into an all conference performer. But outside of a year in which only 5 QBs played full seasons in the Big Ten (and 2 were Sherer and Threet) no one could.

I see Fisch as a guy who took a below average QB, changed his system...probably threw to much on the guys' plates, but overall set them up to have a pretty good offensive season in 2010. He got better at playcalling as the year went on (getting plays in on time was his biggest problem). His offensive line improved more than any other unit on the team as the year went on, and at the end of the season they were actually pretty good pass protectors (though they still couldn't run). He tried various things in the same situations (I am thinking goalline) and nothing worked.

I think he will take what he has learned at Minnesota and do an okay job in Miami. He was not a good fit in Minnesota. He walked into a very difficult situation and was a member of a bowl season. He got out before his career went down in flames with Brewster. I am not trying to argue that he was a good coach, or that he did a good job at Minnesota. I am just saying he wasn't nearly as bad as some people speculate.

Top Bottom