Jedd Fisch Hired At Miami

There is a reason Pete Carrol wanted him. There is a reason Miami would hire him. His season was dismal here. But that was more on the team than just the OC.

It was his first year calling plays (and he got better as the year went on)
The offensive talent on that team was not good
The offensive line was terrible (and it got much better as the year went on)
QB play was very inconsistent, and while that is definitely partially on the OC, it is also on Brewster for switching systems and Weber for playing inconsistent. I would say QB play was good in 2 games that season, in those games they scored 38 against Michigan State and 32 against Illinois.

He was definitely part of the offensive problem (especially early in the year). But he was far from the whole problem. The offense struggled because of inconsistent QB play (that became more consistent later in the year), poor O-line play (that improved a ton towards the end of the year), and injury to the offenses best player.

He will tone down his offense a little, take what he learned in Minnesota, and do okay in Miami IMO.

Yes, he was also instrumental in leading the '*&^!#*&^!#*&^!#*&^!#'attle Seahawks to win the worst division in the NFL. 7-9, that's top tier college football material right there. Granted, they did beat the Saints at home which is more of a credit to Marshawn Lynch than anything. I am yet to see one impressive thing from this dude. He is like the Greg Robinson of Offensive Coordinatoors. Just keep getting jobs because Pete Carroll was the only schmuck to hire him outside of Tim Brewster and Al Golden.

Yeah, Pete Carroll wanted him...as a QB coach.

How did the 7-9 seahawks QBs look this year? That's right terrible more often than not.

Anybody who calls a pass from the 1/2 yard line on first and goal and gets the QB sacked for a 10 yard loss (against Ill) is not very intelligent.

Anybody who calls a pass from the 1/2 yard line on first and goal and gets the QB sacked for a 10 yard loss (against Ill) is not very intelligent.

Adam Weber got himself sacked on the play because he didn't throw the ball away like he was supposed to.

He called 4 runs against Penn State In Happy Valley (a game I was at) from the 1/2 yard line and they couldn't punch it in.
You were probably complaining that he didn't pass then.

The players couldn't execute any plays he was calling. Not his fault.

Yeah, Pete Carroll wanted him...as a QB coach.

How did the 7-9 seahawks QBs look this year? That's right terrible more often than not.

Well, When Hasselbeck was healthy he was pretty decent (see playoff game and first game of the year).

Yes, Hasselbeck did have a very good playoff game, but that was one game. Last time I checked there were 16 games in the regular season. Hasselbeck started 14 games in which he threw 12 touchdowns compared to 17 ints.

Which looks to me like he played poorly more often than he played well.

Yes, Hasselbeck did have a very good playoff game, but that was one game. Last time I checked there were 16 games in the regular season. Hasselbeck started 14 games in which he threw 12 touchdowns compared to 17 ints.

Which looks to me like he played poorly more often than he played well.

How many weeks of this season was he healthy? The only weeks we know he was 100% was week 1, and round 1 playoffs.

Are you telling me that you are going to credit Fisch for making Hasselbeck play poorly in 7 games and then not give him credit for playing well in 8 (including playoffs).
The guy was banged up.

No I'm saying Hasselbeck threw 12 tds to 17 ints. One good game doesn't make up for 17 ints.

I wouldn't say he played good in 8 games. I would say he didn't make mistakes to have the seahawks lose. In addition unless your counting one of the loses as a good game for Hasselbeck he has only started in 7 of the teams wins counting the playoffs. Charlie Whitehurst started the final game of the regular season versus the Rams.

The fact is Hasselbeck played very poorly numerous times this season and the playoff game was one of the few times this season that he was a big positive factor in leading the team to a win.

Also, by Matt Hasselbeck standards this was for the most part a terrible year.

If he's that injured he shouldn't be playing. When he stepped across those lines the injury excuse goes out the window. He declared himself healthy to play. So in turn he's healthy enough to take the criticism when he plays poorly.

The fact is if Fisch was labeled as a bad coach here because of poor on field performance by the players he should be labeled the same thing in Seattle if the position he is coaching performs poorly on the field.

It can't be his fault for the poor performance here and then the players fault in Seattle that they weren't followong his direction. Be consistent in your judgement.

If the players can't execute the plays you are calling, then you call different plays. You call what they can execute.

Jedd Fisch reminds me of a lot of really bad professors you see in college. They are brilliant and know so much about the given topic. And they have no clue how to teach anyone else about it who isn't at least as smart as they are.

Jedd Fisch reminds me of a lot of really bad professors you see in college. They are brilliant and know so much about the given topic. And they have no clue how to teach anyone else about it who isn't at least as smart as they are.

I can name a couple of those.:cool02:

If the players can't execute the plays you are calling, then you call different plays. You call what they can execute.

This is 100% correct. Hopefully he learned the limitations of the college player and their time, because even though if you keep the players in the program for 3+ years the could run a complex, near pro playbook, he isn't going to be afforder that kind of time.

This makes he happy that SH has to deal with this clown as his oc for the next 3 years. I think that we should add Fisch to the list of words that get #@#@#!#@ out. Anyone who takes an average to above average qb and makes him horrible should be a cuss word on a gopher sports board.

Exactly.

....learned from the best coaches at the...college level..? Did he mean Brewster? Is this writer even alive?

He ran many different combinations of plays in many situations. They got sacked on the goal line where you are talking about. Against Penn state they got stuffed up the middle twice and around end twice from the 1. You can only call so much and the players couldn't execute. Not his fault.

Now, if you are talking about needing to run a spread offense, that is also Not his fault. What is he supposed to do? Run an offense that he doesn't know at all? If you think it was a scheme problem for the talent they had… then it is a bad hire, not a bad coach though.

His play calling wasnt bad. His speed of play calling was his biggest problem and that got better as the year went on. His talent was bad and his players were inconsistent at execution (which was probably partially his fault and partially the fault of the players/other coaches)

He ran many different combinations of plays in many situations. They got sacked on the goal line where you are talking about. Against Penn state they got stuffed up the middle twice and around end twice from the 1. You can only call so much and the players couldn't execute. Not his fault.

Now, if you are talking about needing to run a spread offense, that is also Not his fault. What is he supposed to do? Run an offense that he doesn't know at all? If you think it was a scheme problem for the talent they had… then it is a bad hire, not a bad coach though.

His play calling wasnt bad. His speed of play calling was his biggest problem and that got better as the year went on. His talent was bad and his players were inconsistent at execution (which was probably partially his fault and partially the fault of the players/other coaches)

So, what I can deduce from this is that when players do not execute, it is not the coaches fault?! Are you on drugs?! You may have to remind me of what your idea of a coach is, because he is certainly not my idea of a coach. Correct me if i'm wrong, but isn't it the coaches job to mentally and phyiscally prepare his team for every game? Now, I understand that players do make bad mistakes during games,they all do, and Adam Weber is certainly guilty of this during his tenure, but to say that none of that responsibilty can be placed on Jedd Fisch is rediculous. As an offensive coordinator, it is your job to prepare these kids as best you can. Their preformance is directly related to your coaching ability. Arguments otherwise are just ridiculous.

You are laughable in terms of football knowledge if you think a great coach can prepare any player to execute at a high level… at some point you have to have the people who are athletic enough to beat the other team. He didn't. I'm not saying he is not partially at fault, but he was far from a bad coach.

You must be one of the guys who though harbaugh was a bad coach when Stanford wasn't executing and losing 8 games his first year. You must have though bevell was a great offensive coordinator when the 2009-10 vikings had one of the best offenses in the NFL.

Geez rosemountain are you related to fisch? You can have your opinion but so can the rest of the people who thought he was terrible and are glad he is gone. Relax and go throw your tennis ball to change your throwing motion!

Why is it people get so offended by different opinions. Fisch was far from a good oc, but he was not nearly as bad as some insinuate. He will do okay in Miami IMO.

Why is it people get so offended by different opinions. Fisch was far from a good oc, but he was not nearly as bad as some insinuate. He will do okay in Miami IMO.

lol he took a good qb and made him terrible. What evidence was there that he was an even average oc?

hey Rosemountain,your agreeing with Carroll and Golden about Fisch doesn't mean anything to all of our playstation and xbox oc.

lol he took a good qb and made him terrible. What evidence was there that he was an even average oc?

What good qb did he make terrible?
Just curious.
Are you talking about hasselbeck? Cause he was banged up all year.

I think he is referring to Adam Weber and the QB he turned into once Fisch "corrected" his throwing motion.

Rosemountian, you keep jumping on everyone's back for their criticism of Fisch, but what about his tenure with the gophers and seahawks, teams that displayed awful offensive football during his tenure, makes you so willing to jump up and exclaim he's a good coach?

To be quite honest the Gopher games under Fisch's tutelage featured offenses that looked completely void of any gameplan or cohesiveness in the playcalling.

Their lectures still haunt me.

no this guy qb you may of heard of him, Adam Weber.

I must have not thought of him because he was never a good QB.
He was an average QB when at his best (his senior year and first 6 games of his sophomore year).
He was a below average to bad QB the rest of the time.

Yes he was 2nd team all big ten his sophomore, that put him on the top of a list of 5 QBs that played the entire season....a list that included such good QBs as Juice Williams, Steven Threet, Dustin Sherror. The only QB I would call good that played the entire season (which is oft essential to gain All Big Ten Honors) was Daryll Clark.

So most of his best times were after Fisch fixed his throwing motion (a fix that makes him a more appealing NFL prospect). Most of his best times were after he had a full year of experience of learning under fisch. He learned the offense under fisch and seemed to have a pretty good grasp from the start of his senior season. (and even in the spring when he locked up the job).

I would not say he took a good QB and made him bad. I would say he took a below average QB and made him average or maybe even a little above.
But we can agree to disagree.

Top Bottom