JD Spielman. RTB?

Would have to think he'd be immediately eligible here. Would certainly be a dynamic weapon to add to the already potent offense.

Would have to think he'd be immediately eligible here. Would certainly be a dynamic weapon to add to the already potent offense.

Based on what, he isn’t close to graduating so would need a waiver there and also dropped out last semester and has a gap so would need a waiver there as well. He may get it but it is far from a sure thing. There is some buzz as well that he may end up at Oregon State where his old buddies from Mike Riley era ended up

If he comes here and gets a waiver, great. Can help replace TJ. This would be optimal IMO.

If he comes here and has to sit a year, great. He can help replace Bateman after he goes to the NFL.

If he goes to Oregon State, good luck to him.

If he comes here and gets a waiver, great. Can help replace TJ. This would be optimal IMO.

If he comes here and has to sit a year, great. He can help replace Bateman after he goes to the NFL.

If he goes to Oregon State, good luck to him.
He already had a red-shirt year tho; so he needs a waiver either way.

Based on what, he isn’t close to graduating so would need a waiver there and also dropped out last semester and has a gap so would need a waiver there as well. He may get it but it is far from a sure thing. There is some buzz as well that he may end up at Oregon State where his old buddies from Mike Riley era ended up

Being closer to home. Sounds like him and Nebraska cuts ties....so as far as I know....he's in the clear.

Moving home is a clear sign of what the NCAA grants waivers for.

Based on what?

He's been in college for 5 years, how do you stay eligible and not be close to graduating?

He's either graduating or knows he can get a waiver to play this season.

Based on what?

He's been in college for 5 years, how do you stay eligible and not be close to graduating?

He's either graduating or knows he can get a waiver to play this season.

He is not graduating. Before missing last semester
he had a full year to go to graduate. This season would be year 5

He is not graduating. Before missing last semester
he had a full year to go to graduate. This season would be year 5

You're right, this will be season 5, my bad.

It still wouldn't make a lot of sense for him to transfer and sit out if he has NFL aspirations. Transferring closer to home amid everything that has happened this year seems like it could give him a best chance of getting a waiver.

OK, serious question - IF Spielman winds up at MN, and IF he gets a waiver to play this year -

where does he fit on the depth chart?

I can't see Fleck jumping him ahead of CAB, so Spielman would likely be a #3 receiver and Kick/Punt returner. I'd take him just for his return game, and if he catches a few passes out of the slot, that's a bonus.

OK, serious question - IF Spielman winds up at MN, and IF he gets a waiver to play this year -

I can't see Fleck jumping him ahead of CAB, so Spielman would likely be a #3 receiver and Kick/Punt returner. I'd take him just for his return game, and if he catches a few passes out of the slot, that's a bonus.
Best man should play. Either way: Bateman, Speilman, CAB ... three high level weapons on offense. Would like them all to have high stats. Could be two draft picks next year as well.

Spielman is the far superior player to CAB at this point. No disrespect to CAB as I think we all like his potential, but to think Spielman couldn't jump him on the depth chart is ridiculous.

I love it when good rumors are true!! Hope he is Golden and stays here - makes sense with family being here. Would love to see him thrive in a Gopher uniform. However, if he plays for us the game in Lincoln will only be easier on paper. I think they will be out for blood against us. We will be the circled match-up on their calendars.

I love it when good rumors are true!! Hope he is Golden and stays here - makes sense with family being here. Would love to see him thrive in a Gopher uniform. However, if he plays for us the game in Lincoln will only be easier on paper. I think they will be out for blood against us. We will be the circled match-up on their calendars.
Meh, Nebraska sucks.

Frost was no messiah. 5-7 no bowl, once again for them.

For the talk of JDS vs CAB, i actually don't know if they overlap a ton. RB/CAB on the outside and JDS in the slot is how I would picture it. To me this more would take away from Douglas. Sure they would eat into each others production some but the weapons on that team are insane! I would say right up there with Bama as top WR unit in the country.

I think he's the slot receiver in the current offense. Tyler Johnson did line up in the slot, so I think that's where they would put Spielman. Demetrious Douglas and the underclassmen are the losers in that scenario.

I think he's the slot receiver in the current offense. Tyler Johnson did line up in the slot, so I think that's where they would put Spielman. Demetrious Douglas and the underclassmen are the losers in that scenario.
DD to CB?

DD to CB?

Doubt it. If Spielman comes here it is a one year thing at best and we are actually pretty deep in the secondary right now with a number of highly touted guys coming in as well.

If this does end up happening it just adds another dynamic weapon to what is already a pretty stacked unit. Imagine lining up with Bateman on the outside, JD in the slot and CAB all alone on the other side of the field. CAB would 100% get 1 on 1 coverage with a super accurate QB.

I am truly hopeful that they cut it loose on offense right from the very beginning of the season.

The Gophers play three and four receivers in most sets. I'm not sure what you're getting at.

Spielman would basically play where Tyler Johnson played last year, running the slant from the slot and getting huge yards in the RPO game. CAB would line up where he lined up last year. Rashod would line up where he lined up last year. And, Douglas would line up where he lined up last year.

If Spielman comes here, he has a chance to go for 1000+ yards receiving, get rushing yards from the slot and return kicks and punts.

As for the waiver situation, it will be hard for the NCAA to say no to a kid who wants to be closer to home in the middle of an international health pandemic, who also has a known mental health issue. The Spielmans will hire a big time attorney and that almost always forces the NCAA to grant the waiver.

Top Bottom