JD Spielman. RTB?

I honestly thought he was going to come here. A few unknowns behind the scenes. I would think it would be fun going to Gopher games as an alumni down the road. His dad won't live here forever more than likely though so he probably doesn't think Minnesota is his home.

it doesn't surprise me that jd picked tcu. the spielman family knows full well that ol' jer' is a ball coach. they know it's who he is and it's in his blood. the spielman's know that jer' turns boys into men and that football is his vehicle. they want jd to be mentored by jer' on and off the field, and anything jd needs fixed, kill will help because he's a fix it guy.

it doesn't surprise me that jd picked tcu. the spielman family knows full well that ol' jer' is a ball coach. they know it's who he is and it's in his blood. the spielman's know that jer' turns boys into men and that football is his vehicle. they want jd to be mentored by jer' on and off the field, and anything jd needs fixed, kill will help because he's a fix it guy.

I alternate between thinking this is stupid and laughing out loud at it. Today, I laughed out loud

hahaha...no...I don't think so.
Who are you anyway...?

No way Nebraska would have allowed him to play for us. I'm happy with our receivers although he would have been a nice option at return. Perhaps he'll be a grad transfer to the U. Whatevs. I just really really really want a 2020 season.

No way Nebraska would have allowed him to play for us. I'm happy with our receivers although he would have been a nice option at return. Perhaps he'll be a grad transfer to the U. Whatevs. I just really really really want a 2020 season.
He just liked my tweet quoting the Strib article saying that. It was never going to happen.

The Big 12 is a perfect place for JD to play. His skill set with the poor defense style of the Big 12 will be a great fit. I suspect he will have a huge year and help his draft stock a lot. Good choice JDS.

Go earn your degree and work for your dad after school is done. I don't know if Not For Long will be in the cards for him.

Go earn your degree and work for your dad after school is done. I don't know if Not For Long will be in the cards for him.
I would think he’ll be working out for the 2021 combine at least, regardless if there is a season this school year?

I think if he has a good season as a returner, he'll get picked up. Think Marcus Sherels. NFL minimum is almost $500K. If successful just doing that, he can have a good 5-7 years in the league making good money.

Frost was a top notch assistant coach. His run at Oregon as OC was elite by any standard. Took an 0-12 team to 13 wins in two years at UCF and they continued to win at a high level after he left.
I'll preface this by saying I have no idea whether Frost is a good HC. A 13-0 season is impressive no matter how you slice it, but I've always been less impressed than most considering that UCF had won 8 or more games in 6 of the previous 9 seasons. They won 10 or more games in 4 of those seasons and twice ended the year ranked in the top 25 -- including at #10 in 2014 after beating #6 Baylor in the Fiesta Bowl.

Definitely must've been some toxic crap going on in 2015 for that team to finish 0-12, but it's not like Frost built that program from the ground up. It's a school with a history of winning football in an extremely talent rich area.

I'll preface this by saying I have no idea whether Frost is a good HC. A 13-0 season is impressive no matter how you slice it, but I've always been less impressed than most considering that UCF had won 8 or more games in 6 of the previous 9 seasons. They won 10 or more games in 4 of those seasons and twice ended the year ranked in the top 25 -- including at #10 in 2014 after beating #6 Baylor in the Fiesta Bowl.

Definitely must've been some toxic crap going on in 2015 for that team to finish 0-12, but it's not like Frost built that program from the ground up. It's a school with a history of winning football in an extremely talent rich area.
There was a conference change in there as well...and ranked only once while in that conference.

He took both coordinators from that 2017 13-0 team with him to Lincoln. I'm sure he tried to keep everything the same, as much as possible.

So far, it simply hasn't worked. Fired the OC after last season. Same DC, so far.

There was a conference change in there as well...and ranked only once while in that conference.
UCF's first season -- coinciding with the conversion from Big East football to American (AAC) football -- in 2013, they won the conference, won the Fiesta Bowl against Baylor, and were ranked top 10.

They had some significant success leading up to Frost's takeover.

Were pretty good in 2014, finishing 9-4. I have no idea what led to the wheels absolutely careening off in 2015. But they bounced back to 6-7 in Frost's first year 2016, then obviously the 13-0 in 2017.

But clearly O'Leary 's previous years and recruiting benefited Frost at UCF.

He took both coordinators from that 2017 13-0 team with him to Lincoln. I'm sure he tried to keep everything the same, as much as possible.

So far, it simply hasn't worked. Fired the OC after last season. Same DC, so far.

who knows if it will work out but I will say that Mike Riley’s last two classes at Nebraska were virtually all duds and non contributors. Most of these guys have left now and transferred to lower level programs or aren’t playing at all. Frost’s first class at Nebraska was the first year of the change to early signing day so it was slim pickings in filing an entire class on the second signing day after getting the job. I also know they redshirted almost all of their young guys last season to save the eligibilitY. It will be interesting to see in particular next year if sacrificing wins in the short terms pays off with the longer term planning.

who knows if it will work out but I will say that Mike Riley’s last two classes at Nebraska were virtually all duds and non contributors. Most of these guys have left now and transferred to lower level programs or aren’t playing at all. Frost’s first class at Nebraska was the first year of the change to early signing day so it was slim pickings in filing an entire class on the second signing day after getting the job. I also know they redshirted almost all of their young guys last season to save the eligibilitY. It will be interesting to see in particular next year if sacrificing wins in the short terms pays off with the longer term planning.
Got me there, it's a great point. Arguably, similar to what Fleck did.

Possible major difference: having a good QB. Martinez? Meh. Maybe, but who knows.

Damn - I just figured this out!

We all know that Rick Spielman never drafts players from the Gophers.

So, he worked out a behind-the-scenes deal for JD to transfer to TCU instead of the Gophers.

That clears the way for Rick to draft his own kid next year and pay him a big signing bonus.

Case solved.

Damn - I just figured this out!

We all know that Rick Spielman never drafts players from the Gophers.

So, he worked out a behind-the-scenes deal for JD to transfer to TCU instead of the Gophers.

That clears the way for Rick to draft his own kid next year and pay him a big signing bonus.

Case solved.

nate triplett says hi

The Big 12 is a perfect place for JD to play. His skill set with the poor defense style of the Big 12 will be a great fit. I suspect he will have a huge year and help his draft stock a lot. Good choice JDS.
Maybe. But he is going to be playing for a quarterback that threw for over 250 yards 3 times last season and under 150 yards 5 times...so Maybe not...

it surprises me that jd picked tcu. the spielman family knows full well that ol' jer' is a ball coach who abandons his players as soon as someone looks at him wrong. they know it's who he is and it's in his blood. the spielman's know that jer' turns on his boys at the drop of a hat and that football is his vehicle. they want jd to be fooled by jer' on and off the field, and anything jd needs fixed, kill won't help because he's a "I'm outta here" guy.

UCF's first season -- coinciding with the conversion from Big East football to American (AAC) football -- in 2013, they won the conference, won the Fiesta Bowl against Baylor, and were ranked top 10.

They had some significant success leading up to Frost's takeover.

Were pretty good in 2014, finishing 9-4. I have no idea what led to the wheels absolutely careening off in 2015. But they bounced back to 6-7 in Frost's first year 2016, then obviously the 13-0 in 2017.

But clearly O'Leary 's previous years and recruiting benefited Frost at UCF.
As did the current HC benefit from Frost's recruiting.

Top Bottom