JC Quarterback

ncgo4

Reaction score
Are the Gophers pursuing a JC quarterback in this class? It doesn't look like we have a real gem ready to slide in as a starter.

It would be nice if that was the case.

Are the Gophers pursuing a JC quarterback in this class? <b>It doesn't look like we have a real gem ready to slide in as a starter.</b>

Bolded without comment.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Are the Gophers pursuing a JC quarterback in this class? It doesn't look like we have a real gem ready to slide in as a starter.

I heard the staff was looking at a kid who's like 6'4", 235 lbs. and was the #10 ranked dual threat QB in the nation. Had offers from wisconsin, Texas, Michigan St, Louisville, Iowa, Illinois, Oregon, etc.

Yup

I heard the staff was looking at a kid who's like 6'4", 235 lbs. and was the #10 ranked dual threat QB in the nation. Had offers from wisconsin, Texas, Michigan St, Louisville, Iowa, Illinois, Oregon, etc.

His dad said they are just waitin' on Tracy's extension...

The coaches should make a huge play for Max Browne. Yes. he struggled at USC and has only 1 year of eligibility left. However, Minnesota has some really good pieces that could help him showcase his skills. I don't think there are many other programs that could offer him the same opportunity to legitimately start immediately and play against top tier talent. That said - he looked lost at USC vs. Bama (most QBs do) so he is not a sure fire lock to be a star here either. But, we should be talking to him to see if he would even consider it. For me persionally, I would love to see what we could do with legit talent at the QB positions - it could settle the question of system vs. development vs. lack of talent debate at the very least as this guy was prepped by the best in the business.

The coaches should make a huge play for Max Browne. Yes. he struggled at USC and has only 1 year of eligibility left. However, Minnesota has some really good pieces that could help him showcase his skills. I don't think there are many other programs that could offer him the same opportunity to legitimately start immediately and play against top tier talent. That said - he looked lost at USC vs. Bama (most QBs do) <b>so he is not a sure fire lock to be a star here either. </b>But, we should be talking to him to see if he would even consider it. For me persionally, I would love to see what we could do with legit talent at the QB positions - it could settle the question of system vs. development vs. lack of talent debate at the very least as this guy was prepped by the best in the business.

I say we stick to sure fire locks to be a star and get a couple of those in here instead.

Do we know " It doesn't look like we have a real gem ready to slide in as a starter."?

Do we know if any JC QB who is "a real gem" is interested in coming here?

I feel like we're entering territory where Bill Parcells was when he was coaching the Cowboys. He kept getting questions about the quarterback position and Bill got annoyed as the questions started to sound more like "why don't you just go get one...". Bill said something to the effect of (I won't get this exactly right) "No **** we would like a great quarterback, most teams are just like us... looking for that guy, some have been doing it for decades!"

What about a grad transfer? Are there any of those lurking out there? That'd be an option as well to give Green and Croft another year to grow before one of them sees the field as the presumed started.

What about a grad transfer? Are there any of those lurking out there?

See my post above - Max Browne from USC. 4 star recruit ranked 20th in the ESPN top 300 coming out of HS. Sat behind better players and disappointed in his limited action this year.

See my post above - Max Browne from USC. 4 star recruit ranked 20th in the ESPN top 300 coming out of HS. Sat behind better players and disappointed in his limited action this year.
My bad, I meant in addition to.

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

+1.

We will be working with what is in the stable. Spring and Fall workouts will determine which one comes out of the gate.
It's college football folks. After a MAXIMUM of 4-5 years, the position turns over.

I'm confused. I looked at the title and thought "I didn't realize J.C. Watts had eligibility left."

The problem with Max Browne is he doesn't fit our system. If you were Browne would you come to a school that has 3 passing TDs against FBS schools? Mitch hasn't thrown a f'n TD pass since September.

Since they appear to be the Gophers' minor league affiliate :rolleyes: I figured I'd look at Iowa Western's QB situation.

PASSING
NO. NAME YR POS GP COMP ATT PCT YDS Y/G Y/A TD INT LG
7 Tay Bender So QB 11 166 282 58.9% 1912 173.8 6.8 25 9 65
14 Zach Martin Fr QB 9 75 115 65.2% 772 85.8 6.7 9 2 48
19 J.D. Culjat So QB 3 8 11 72.7% 43 14.3 3.9 0 1 9
Totals 12 249 408 61.0% 2727 227.3 6.7 34 12 65

Not exactly anything I'd be real excited over myself. Unless one of the coaches has seen them play and there's something we don't know (don't fit their offense but would fit ours, etc.) I can't imagine any of these guys are ready for B1G competition...

Capture.jpg

Oops, tried to edit the previous post and put a picture in but I indadvertently double posted and put a picture to replace the grid of data, but then it's completely illegible. UGH!

Is he a JUCO or prep recruit? If JUCO is it Nick Johns from NE Oklahoma JC?

I'd much rather just see what we have with Demry and Seth (and Rhoda, i guess). I'm cautiously optimistic.

Someone that has posted on here that appears to know Rhoda.

I'd much rather just see what we have with Demry and Seth (and Rhoda, i guess). I'm cautiously optimistic.

There has been a poster on here that has posted multiple reports that Connor Rhoda was told by the staff that his scholarship for next season is not being renewed. Although I have not seen it reported in the media, this poster has been consistently clear that the staff has non-renewed Rhoda's scholarship. This would be a pretty clear indicator that Rhoda will leave the program and not be here next year.

If you were coaching for your job would you?

I believe so. Those guys do have some talent.

Plus I find it hard to believe that there is a JC QB out there that we can get that is a sure fire better option than those guys anyways.

Boy do I feel silly. I thought we'd gotten a commitment from a kid named "JC Quarterback."

If you were coaching for your job would you?

And what do you know RE Green & Croft that makes you so sure they aren't good options for next year?

Jordan Ta'amu is a JC guy that we are looking at. 6-4, 190 QB from New Mexico who threw for 3,014 yards, 32 TD's and 8 picks with a 59.3 completion percentage in 9 games. Rushed for 328 yards and 7 TDs as well. Offers from New Mexico and EKU.

This is probably the best type of prospect we can get out of the JC ranks and I don't think he'd be a surefire better option than Seth and Demry.

If the Rhoda story is true its bcuz claeys knows claeys will not be coming back.

And what do you know RE Green & Croft that makes you so sure they aren't good options for next year?

I just heard they are both a long way off. Not untalented but not ready to lead this team either. I figured it would be a good idea to maybe have some kind of backup plan. They are looking at the JUCO ranks.

If the Rhoda story is true its bcuz claeys knows claeys will not be coming back.

I don't know about that. It's not unusual for a walkon to get a scholarship on a year by year basis. They probably don't see him as the starter going forward.

Top Bottom